TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

OOC: You have it so wrong. The Frenks tried to be like the Armoricans after we beat them in retaliation several turns ago and then set up their country. The Armoricans(Osismied) and the Dumonans are the original tribes of the region.

So how united are they Terrance?

After Skilord's reforms, they are bound together by a decently strong "national" army and a centralized navy. Also, their colonies are held in common and will mature to become full "states" in the confederation. The adoption of Exnot as the chief diety of all the states, in his lazy manner, also helps their centralization. Remember the League when you were invading as Old Kingdom Egypt? It's that, but more centralized, more confident, and more ready. Think Constitutional America v.s. Articles of Confederation America, although it is a nation the same way the "X confederation" nations are nations.

Also now that I moved an age - should my Monoremes be improved? I also totally forgot their price. Can you update them into the UU list as a Bronze Age UU?
Not automatically: I warned you about it. :p. Anyway, you can get longships at whatever price they may be, and I will allow you to update your Monoreme designs to the new age. Remember, that is my policy: you upage, you need to upage your UU's, or adopt a new one and let them return to service. Their price were 1EP for 2 Monoremes, instead of 1EP for 10 Longboats right now.

@ Gem_hound
Original the same way the "Kelts" are original. :). How you interpret that is up to you.

@ Gem_hound
Original the same way the "Kelts" are original. :). How you interpret that is up to you.
We were the original civilized state, Dumonos was the second. The rest slowly filtered in afterwards somehow with no influence from the original civilization in the region. We were also the furthest west. Our two tribes were among the first wave of tribals. The Beurtgang and them would be about the third or fourth migration.

What the Bloody Throne is willing to offer is this: Armorica will withdraw all its horrid, puerile and evil infidel legions from the borders of the good nation of Ostava. Armorica's rulers shall pledge in perpetuity to recognize Ostava's borders and never again to infringe upon the just governance and due of its leaders. Status quo antebellum shall become the law of the land once again, and all good and honest rulers may return to the pursuit of the proper oppression and exploitation of their own people.

The cawing of a raven was heard in the distance, and Caedmon shouted so loud, his voice echoed throughout the valley.
"Go to Ildaris, those of the faithful. Escape during this battle. You will not be harmed should you go. Gather at the end of the lake, we will meet you there."
And then, the charge began. Like a wave of unheard death and destruction, the Armorican army surged forward. No battle cries were called, for all knew the damage it would cause.

Good, they left their fortifications, exactly as I wanted. Caedmon thought as he saw glimpses of the Red guard beginning their ascent of the hill. Silently, like a wave of death, the Druidic army continued their surge forward.

Out of the dark, like demons from the Underworld, the armies of Dumonos and Armorica struck like the blow of a hammer. Nearly seven thousand soldiers smashed into the backs of the Vahlshallan formations outside of their camp.

Silently, the Druids hacked at the faithful who would stand against them. The first Vahlshallans died with looks of surprise on their faces, while many Vahlshallans were too blood-drunk to notice the wave of black spreading over the back side of their army.

Before the Vahlshallans knew what was happening, it was too late.

The Vahlshallan army crumpled, as the Druids entered the middle of their ranks, killing all who opposed them.

Solemnly, and wordless, the Druidic army hacked at the Vahlshallan army. Those who would surrender, would survive. Those who did not, would die. The Vahlshallan drums in the heart of their army grew silent, and the battlefield was quiet save the screams of the dying and the calls of the ravens.

Shouts to turn were heard, and the Druids instinctively formed up a shield wall 40 men deep and continued forward to face the now shaky wall of the Vahlshallans, cutting down any stragglers in their way that still wielded weapons. Fear began to eat away at the Vahlshallan's resolve, and some began to filter away due to the deathly silence of the Druidic army. The silence, was more fearful than anything they had ever encountered before.

OOC: Currently Tycho, your army attacking the hilltop defenders knows nothing of my army.

1 Dot is More or Less 100 Dudes.

Battle: Armorica takes the watch tower and rains arrows into the camp. The Dogs are unleashed, followed by a vanguard of Red Guards and then a rank of Spearmen. A battle ensues on the hill until the Armoricans are outflanked by the Red Guards, and they retreat towards a higher slope where the archers have reestablished themsevles. Just as they reform, another Red Guard flanking force emerges. Down hill, the second reserved spearmen were suddenly assaulted from behind by a coordinated Armorican strike, crippling it without knowledge of their brethren ontop of the hill.

If I'm reading this right, Gem Hound's initial forces at the start of this turn (3 units of spearmen [2250 men] and one unit of Unsullied [<500 men]) have been bolstered at this point by his spending, yes?

If I'm reading this right, Gem Hound's initial forces at the start of this turn (3 units of spearmen [2250 men] and one unit of Unsullied [<500 men]) have been bolstered at this point by his spending, yes?
Yes. The Dumonos Exiles are a part of my army. I also had 2 Unsullied.

Note: Two more Unsullied centuries joined my army for this battle.

Yes, and the Dumonos Exiles who were mostly OK with his plans so far.

EDIT: Month 3 Year 1

We have arrived I thought as the Buertgang survivors greeted us and then immediately fell upon the supply wagons we brought; preopened just in case of this emergency. It pains me to see the sorry state of these once-proud men, who marched out encased in bronze and gold and now laid shivering in their ragged cloaks. But there are things more valuable than weapons and armor: each of these men and their experience can train the next generation, an even more fearful legion that shall sweep the world and throw the spiteful Druids into the sea! I have yet to meet these elusive enemies, but if they are anything like the Buggers I faced before this war, then they deserved everything we've given them, and more. 'Tis to Demons, hell. 'Tis to Demonspawn, hell on earth. I recited, as I set up camp to endure the last frozen blast of winter.

Month 4 Year 1

I have underestimated the Buertgang as we prepared to head out once more. A mere week of food revived them immensely, and they revealed how they had dug burrows under the snow into their buried cabins and kept their armor and weapons pristinely polished during their wait. A scanty hundred accepted my offer of a fast chariot home to teach the gathering thousands raised to fight both Buggerites and Druids; the rest attached themselves to my command, ready for more action.

I thus now lead nearly five thousand soldiers: four thousand Militia, including volunteers we picked up from the Sieneland crossing and trained by our saved brethern in the best Druid-killing techniques they know, and whom are introduced to a strange leaf to unleash their inner spirits of war; and one thousand veterans, including both my Lancers as well as the motley remants of the Buertgang, wielding their spears, axes, bow and chariot in the methods they know best.

Before we leave, news is just arriving of a great battle near Condate, where the armies of the Vahshallah and her allies faced off with Armorica. I shall listen to them tonight, after find a camping ground with fresher water; there we can plan our next move.

-Prince Gorros of Danyaria

Response Diplo from Leon:

I'm listening.
From Tarase
I will draw up a map presently, but the jist is that you shall take the land southward to the other slopes of the Apennines and fill out your northern borders a bit. I shall expand to your borders, with Mediolaun favored between them and I. They have already agreed to our proposal.

The Kingdom of Leon hereby accepts the proposal of Caligari, and declares war upon Sassari.
From Caligari You will not regret this!
From Sassari You will definitely regret this!

I will support you, and aid your conquest of the Kordobans if you become a vassal of Leon, and recognize us as your liege.
Apologies, but we do not feel comfortable with such an act, even if you feel it is necessary and proper. However, if your support is complete and total, we would be willing to support all your future military endeavors (Military vassalage; not economic or domestic-see vasalage rules which I will soon add: future vassalage would need to be specified).

To: Yueh Chieftains
From: The Immaculately Mediocre Envoy to the Heathen Tribes, representing The Tortoise Throne

OOC NOTE: I assume the Yueh river is the Yangzi.

The emperor yawns at your collective entreaties. A cessation of hostilities can be negotiated at the current borders, but no further.
And how can we be sure you won't break the deal?

To: Our Civilized Brethren, Kingdom of Man in the North

I fear you ask to much of us brother. Look at the threats to the civilization, to our immediate west and your immediate north. Talk of fissures in the family of civilized lands will draw the barbarians like locusts to a harvest. Bring your representatives to the City of Heaven, wine and feast with us, and let friendship endure.
I agree and shall send my Prince and his friends to your city. I am willing to accept your company in another year, then.

To: Our Cultural Comrades, Kingdom of Gao

There is much that can be shared, even between father and child. We will remain, for now, out of the Man crisis and agree to your conditions on an exchange of knowledge.
Thank you. How much do you wish to invest this year into the discovery of new knowledge. (law of diminishing returns is in play)

Spoiler To Utica :

From Spartans of Sicily
We remain separate from our rule because of the past; the Zirilists enslaved us from our homelands and held us in bondage; would you do the same? Because if you would, we will fight you with all our might.

To: Sicilian Spartans

I assume that you are living in the north of the island, presently not held by us? If so, we will agree to leave you independent.

From the Sicilian Spartans
We thank you with all our hearts and promise we shall maintain cordiality with you, and not betray you in exchange for the same. For freedom.

Spoiler Stats for New :
Sugudia/J.K. Stockholme
Color: Cream
Religion:
Size: Petite
Economy: 4/2 (1/2/1)-0
Military: 5EP here
Confidence: Tolerating
Culture: Limiting
Projects:

Amir Empire/Arrow Gamer
Color: Brown
Religion:
Size: Small
Economy: 8/3 (2/5/1)-0
Military: 11 EP here
Confidence: Respecting
Culture: Mediocre
Projects:

Arin, Duchy of Amir/NPC
Religion
Economy: 5/0 (1/3/1)
Military: 3EP here
Cohesion: Tolerating
Loyalty: Respectful

I'll let you guys choose your starting military. and religion names and such. Also, please tell me about the proposal map: good or bad?
Spoiler :

Does not yet include the Arin.

I'd like you all to know that the UU list has been updated, or at least I attempted to update it. You can have only 1 Unique Unit at a time, although you can have multiple ones of different ages (earlier ones will slowly shift to normal) as well as 1 Unique Unit and any number of appropriate Regional Units.

The only Bronze Age Unique Unit, AKA one specialized for the Bronze Age equipment, is the Silent Guard; which is one reason for their success. UU's can either be upgraded to the Bronze Age through much more investment than it takes to upgrade your normal army, or a new Bronze Age UU can be constructed by those who have reached that far.

The way to read it is +(nation/region) means you can use it, - (nation) means exception in that region.

As Suguda doesn't have stats, and has no regional competitors, I'll be sending very rudimentary and vague orders -- mostly augmented by stories and history.

What the Bloody Throne is willing to offer is this: Armorica will withdraw all its horrid, puerile and evil infidel legions from the borders of the good nation of Ostava. Armorica's rulers shall pledge in perpetuity to recognize Ostava's borders and never again to infringe upon the just governance and due of its leaders. Status quo antebellum shall become the law of the land once again, and all good and honest rulers may return to the pursuit of the proper oppression and exploitation of their own people.
Where is the fire of the Bloody Throne? Where is the unending resolve that your leaders have shouted about over hundreds of years? I know where it is. It is in the ruins. We would not see these terms if your army was not broken and beaten.

Joc the Gentle

The mythical founder of the Sugudan kingdom, Joc the Gentle, a valley shepherd, was gifted the knowledge of civilization by the council of heaven. Of all the men of the upper river, the gods chose the most brave, fit, humble and willing to institute government and create justice with the principles of the natural universe at his core.

The gods began the journey testing Joc‘s character, his willingness to apply knowledge, protect civilization, provide for the ill and to seek knowledge himself. First, the gods gave him the ability to build a mighty battleaxe, which Joc dutifully complied in creating. Easily adaptable to new information, the gods were pleased, and proceeded to try his sense of justice.

Joc made his regular migration - now with a cumbersome and needless battleaxe - and with his wife and children, moved west for the summer. On his trail, as sometimes happened and could not be prevented, a village raid was underway. The council of heaven thus gave every covert sign to Joc to defend the village, shaking the earth, moving the winds and changing the flow of the river Ammu. The observant Joc realized his gift of the battleaxe finally had purpose, and waiving his family to take the herd further in the distance, joined the battle. Joc was inexperienced, but had the strength to wield his axe, and with the favour of the gods, defended the villagers - through cunning display of his mighty weapon, he warded off the enemies of civilization.

The divine mandate concluded, Joc gave his battleaxe to the villagers for their future protection, and proceeded on his migration. The gods prepared Joc for his future. Coming to a bend in the river, which could be seen at the distance Joc travelled out from it, another village approached. The meagre details Joc had been granted through his visions from the gods at least encouraged him to visit each settlement he passed, perhaps to understand the purpose of humanity and the gods. So he again approached the town, this time bringing his family closer, and he proceeded to the town centre with some of his herd’s meat, which he intended to trade.

The sun was high, and Joc entered the marketplace, going to buyers of foodstuffs. After some haggling, he persuaded some generous buyer to take his surplus meat, when he encountered a moving regiment of the town’s soldiers. They were a motley mosaic of skilled and unskilled levies, village boys who needed work, and Joc followed their actions to see if he need be weary of further raiders in his travels. He followed the assemblage out of town, when he was struck by the most powerful vision yet - the gods spoke into his mind, and told him precisely how to handle the fight which was about to commence - the raiders he had warded off from the previous settlement had not been satisfied, and desired the blood of this one.

The gods told him he would not have the power himself to overcome the raiders, but he could preserve the lives of the injured. Medicine, and the rule of preserving life, had been taught to the shepherd Joc, and with this final tool, as the battle waged, using basic clothe and the axes of the men, Joc amputated and recovered the injured as commanded.

The village boys won a pyrrhic victory, but Joc’s compassion and diligence to his vision gained him town attention. The commander of the levies spoke with him, and without much persuasion, arranged to bring Joc to the town high priest and leader.

The tale varies from here, the most common interpretation of the remainder of the tale is that Joc met privately with the town’s high priest, who had been a demigod in hiding, and he passed on the title of lord of the village to the enlightened Joc the Gentle. The demigod ascended then to heaven publicly, and Joc brought civilization to this first town, Balkh, expanding it into a city, allying with the villages and farms in the region, and beginning Sugudan history.

For religion name: the Derect faith. Maybe noun form is Derectiny?
For military: 7 Spearmen and four archers.

For religion name: the Derect faith. Maybe noun form is Derectiny?
For military: 7 Spearmen and four archers.
Derectiny sounds better. Too many called "the faith". Which is an actual religion in this NES. I know, because I'm fighting the Northern faithful nations who have reverted to the Red Faith.

Top Bottom