RFCEurope 1.0

I saved before the decision to change it back to islam. Everything went right by changing it back to islam. After I play through this I'll reload and see if it's possible

I will run a few test games and check how far I can go, then get back to you guys before adjusting Kiev
Currently I tend to to increase the food UHV to somewhere between 25-30000, but also adding a stone much closer to the Kievan core area
The stone will help both the cathedrals, and the walls/castles, so actually it's a huge thing for Kiev
The horse archer barbs seem fine and fun to me, wasn't annoyingly hard but you had to take care of them, and watch your workers whenever possible
Didn't get to the Keshik spawns in my first playtest yet, so I cannot comment about them yet

Reached 27.000 food until the UHV date. Played it at once, without a single reload
I was rather unlucky with early religion spread though...
Also, I lost a couple cities to mongols, and had to retake them, so wasn't playing the end-game too well

I will try once again, but 25.000 definitely seems doable
A couple tips:
- Early city placement is crucial. Never settle your early cities in places where they cannot work on a food resource at once. Culture is not that easy to get in the beginning
- Put a couple spears in forested hills on the east, to slow down early horse arher invasions. You must lose as few workers as possible early in the game
- On the other hand, don't hesitate to sacrifice some of your workers to the mongols. If your are going for the UHV, it doesn't really matter if you have much less workers after 1250. It can mean a huge stragitical advantage in some of the bigger spawns, or if a couple keshiks spawn in unexpected areas and you need an extra turn to arrive in time

Second try, this time orthodoxy spread as I expected and wanted
I had 20.000 food by 1230, which meant a golden age (as the cathedral+monastery goal was already accomplished).
Food increases in the late game insanely, I had 500+ food/turn by 1230, reaching almost 650 by 1300
Also, I had 8-10 knights by the time the first keshiks spawned
In the end I had more than 33.000 food in 1300, and no cities lost to Keshiks

A couple more tips:
- Don't forget to switch to manoralism+serfdom early on. The Kievan game is all about farms, with that +1 food and +1 hammers from as early as possible.
- Spam workers, they are very cheap for you because of the UP. I had almost 50 before the first keshiks arrived. Chop all forests, and always work on improved tiles.
- Build as many cheap units as possible. You will want to switch to 0% research after discovered Chivalry, and will have plenty of money to upgrade them.

In my game as Germany Spain achieved an UHV in 1638! AFAIK the date of UHV 3 is 1648 - I had to play ´til that year when I was Spain although I achieved UHV much earlier, that´s why I´m surprised! Could that be bug?
Yet a question on the Spanish UHV: Is the overall catholic population ment or just the nations because in my game the only catholic nations are Portugal, Spain and Poland which would be a minority while catholicism has the most followers worldwide, also in protestant civs!

Attachments

• Frederick Barbarossa AD-1638 Turn 369.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
In my game as Germany Spain achieved an UHV in 1638! AFAIK the date of UHV 3 is 1648 - I had to play ´til that year when I was Spain although I achieved UHV much earlier, that´s why I´m surprised! Could that be bug?
Yet a question on the Spanish UHV: Is the overall catholic population ment or just the nations because in my game the only catholic nations are Portugal, Spain and Poland which would be a minority while catholicism has the most followers worldwide, also in protestant civs!

What version do you play?
There was a bug in 1.0 that the previous spanish UHV could also trigger
My first guess would be that this casued the difference in the UHV dates

The 3rd UHV is counted only in nations where catholicism is the state religion
Both for catholic lands, and for catholic population
(so it is the catholic nations' land and population, not the actual catholic population on the map)

Should be version 1.01 - from the 2nd posting in this thread! I thought an old version could also be the reason for the misspelling of Freiburg im Breisgau so I installed it again but it still says Freiburg am Bresigau! Is 1.01 the most actual version?

Should be version 1.01 - from the 2nd posting in this thread! I thought an old version could also be the reason for the misspelling of Freiburg im Breisgau so I installed it again but it still says Freiburg am Bresigau! Is 1.01 the most actual version?

Yep, checked it and was fixed in revision 961
The new version will be out in a few days, with lots of improvements

In the end I decided not to wait anymore
Worst case there will be a patch soon

I'm sorry for re-using this thread, but I think as being my last game in 1.0, one I've been playing for more then a month, and getting a so weird problem, this may be useful.

This is my game with Austria: The year of 1780 AD. I just need to press Enter to pass the turn and then I'm the winner. But something really awesome happened in this exact turn: I deployed a Huge army in Russia, and took more then 10 (I think around 15) cities in the same turn (this turn). I went to collapsing, but the trick was to get all of them in 1 turn, so no rebellion until I win.

Then I passed the turn. Obviously I was anxious to see which victory I would get: My score was ~4400, the Ottomans didn't even have 3000, so UHV3 would add to both previous UHVs for my Historical Victory, but getting ~15 cities of russia in one turn and capitulating it (and asking for more 3 cities in the same agreement, with gold and g/t), obviouslly I was far in winning for Domination. The result: I won a Historical Victory, then a Ottoman Cuirassier attacked me, lost and the game froze. I tried everything (EDIT: Except clicking on the minimap), and reseted the game.

Done the same thing twice, passed the turn and won by Domination this time. Then it froze again when a french unit attacked me and died. The screen was exactly this:

Spoiler :

Poland, Genoa and a city-tile Germany were my vassals of UHV2. Then I tried to click on the minimap, and the pop-up of the victory showed and I could finally see the Timeline. Going to see it now, reload and see what happens if I win historically.

EDIT: Nice discoveries indeed!

Firstly, when I won a historical victory the ottomans attacked me in Crimea by boat, The game "froze" (actually only the victory pop-up hadn't appeared) and I returned to main menu without accounting for a victory. I reloaded, and did some different things, then the ottomans attacked my fleet near Salonica. This time It waited for all the ottomans attacks and when the french attacked me I won a Domination victory. Here is the result of this game in Domination:

Spoiler :

Actually in this pic I counted 17 cities conquered + 3 gifted from peace treaty, so 20 cities in 1 turn, nice Blitzkrieg. The Score: Squire 8664 points. I think I deserved more. Then I reloaded, did the same things I had done in the first place (when I returned to the main menu without accounting for my historical victory). The same thing happened as the first time, and I won a Historical Victory after the ottoman cuirassier attacked me in Crimea. Here it is:

Spoiler :

I guarantee that it's the same turn, maybe someone can explain why the Domination went to 1781 and the historical remained in 1780 if it's the same save and I just passed the turn once.

And this time the score was this:
Spoiler :
Stoned Maximilian

My first and only Emperor score in RFCE 1.0. Now it's obvious that Historical Victory gives a lot more points then Domination Victory. I don't think this was said in the Normalized Score thread, so I'm happy I could discover by myself, winning a Historical-Domination Victory in the same turn.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0032.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 595
  • Civ4ScreenShot0033.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0033.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 614
Top Bottom