The Fight back collection library

Attachments

• portuguese_flag18.png
    portuguese_flag18.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 2,529
Wow mostly Cossack units huh and some American conquest units.Cool can't wait for them to come out.

Originally posted by blix
Wow mostly Cossack units huh and some American conquest units.Cool can't wait for them to come out.
They are not from Cossacks nor American Conquest, I already have 3 other threads for that. They are from Fight Back, American Conquest expansion.

Originally posted by Johann MacLeod
why are there german ones? the holy roman empire never had colonies! and a united germany didnt exsist, wheres sweden? they had some colonies in the new world.
Yep, New Sweden included parts of Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The colony was lost to the Dutch 1655, but swedes and finns remained in the area and kept their languages at least until late 18th century. This mainly because the Swedish Church (lutheran national church) kept sending priests to the descendants of the colony until 1783.

1784 the Swedish King Gustav III managed to persuade the French to give Sweden an island in the West Indies, Saint-Barthélemy, which was returned to France 1878.

And there's also Denmark, who acquired colonies in the West Indies; Saint Thomas 1666, Saint John 1684 and Saint Croix 1733. These islands were known as the Danish West Indies, and were sold to USA 1917, and henceforth known as the Virgin Islands of the United States.

But my favourite must be the tiny Baltic Duchy of Courland (the western part of todays Latvia) who tried five times (1637, 1639, 1642, 1654 and 1668) to establish a colony at the island of Tobago. The first three attempts were foiled by the native Caribs, but the fourth attempt on 20 May 1654 was successful and Fort Jacob was built. Later the same year the Dutch landed and the island was divided between the two colonies. 1657 the Courlanders received reinforcements and more settlers, but the Dutch colony grew faster. The Courlanders had to surrender the colony to the Dutch on 11 Dec 1659, since the raging Baltic war had made reinforcements impossible. 1668 an attempt was made to reoccupy the site of Fort Jacob, but the Dutch forced the Courlanders to withdraw.

Hmm... didn't mean to make this a lecture in history of small nations... :grad:
Sorry about the digression, these units look great and I'm looking forward to using them. Thank you GSC for these pieces of art, and thank you Steph for bringing them to Civ3! :goodjob:

Originally posted by LouLong

But... who are Haidas ? :confused:

From my trip to Canada/US I recall that the Haida are living on the west coast, on all those islands, but also on the mainland from Alaska in the north to the Olympia peninsula in the south. A very interesting tribe.

Originally posted by Wolfhart
But my favourite must be the tiny Baltic Duchy of Courland (the western part of todays Latvia) who tried five times (1637, 1639, 1642, 1654 and 1668) to establish a colony at the island of Tobago. The first three attempts were foiled by the native Caribs, but the fourth attempt on 20 May 1654 was successful and Fort Jacob was built. Later the same year the Dutch landed and the island was divided between the two colonies. 1657 the Courlanders received reinforcements and more settlers, but the Dutch colony grew faster. The Courlanders had to surrender the colony to the Dutch on 11 Dec 1659, since the raging Baltic war had made reinforcements impossible. 1668 an attempt was made to reoccupy the site of Fort Jacob, but the Dutch forced the Courlanders to withdraw.

There was Poland also:) After peace of Oliva -1660 up to 1664 Courland was depended part of Poland, and Duke of Courland was vassal of king Ioannes Casimirus Vasa. So Tobago Island was one and only colony in Polish history at all.

Top Bottom