Beneath the Jade Moon (pre-NES)

:D It really depends on what you want to play, nutra. Is there anything you had in mind? We can find you a spot close to the Pale City even, I'm sure, as more players near each other = more interaction. But if you want to start off in a cold, godforsaken wasteland, that's fine, too.

edit: You can also choose one of the houses other players have made. Thlayli crafted some incredibly interesting situations. So did bombshoo and North King.

Nah, if I was going to take a player-made house I'd take something like House Cyir (it has a cool name and location!) But I don't think that's up for grabs.

More likely than not I'll be going here:

Spoiler :

Is there anything else you could tell me about that region? Or should I make stuff up?

Yes, but in this case House Anlan is a more powerful house with vassals underneath it, so it shouldn't be considered a Romania. :p

Then maybe your vassals aren't that powerful? Maybe your vassals/your lands are poor. There are a lot of reasons why having lots of vassals might not necessarily translate to an increase in power/prestige.

It's might not be so much that House Anlan is or isn't Romania but so much that compared to other people, you just don't make the cut.

Ugh, you people pay no attention to applications or regions. It is so annoying for people to say, "Your house is weak" when the evidence to the contrary is in front of them. House Anlan and the regions are resource rich, but not monetarily due to debts. They supported the Usurper. Earl is just so incorrect.

Ugh, you people pay no attention to applications or regions. It is so annoying for people to say, "Your house is weak" when the evidence to the contrary is in front of them. House Anlan and the regions are resource rich, but not monetarily due to debts. They supported the Usurper. Earl is just so incorrect.

I read the application luckymoose. Your House has been in debt for generations. It doesn't matter if your region is resource rich if everything you make in resources goes to paying off your debt. You supported the Usurper to wipe off some of your debts. Does being broke and in debt, albeit with lots of assets, sound like a strong House to you? Do you just want a higher rank..? :p

I read the application luckymoose. Your House has been in debt for generations. It doesn't matter if your region is resource rich if everything you make in resources goes to paying off your debt. You supported the Usurper to wipe off some of your debts. Does being broke and in debt, albeit with lots of assets, sound like a strong House to you? Do you just want a higher rank..? :p

No, I don't want a higher rank. I want the rank system abolished. Being indebted as a single house does not affect the power of my vassals, or even my own house, enough to reduce me to an earl, anyway. I'm not sure why some "Dukes" even exist as such. We're all lords, period, and putting additional naming on top of that only stands to confuse the situation. Is a duke a person with a lot of money? Does that individual have to fear changing of the titles based on their economic situation? Why aren't the older houses of higher rank? A lot of things seem to be arbitrary.

I was not expecting this much activity when I clicked :)

I did think it was odd the Lucky was so low in the order. Its not like you can sell a title while keeping your assets. Though, I don't think the system is the obstruction he makes it out to be. The lords of the realm would most certainly be nitpicking ever feather in their cap to stand a bit taller than the others, and that means a stratified system.

Hey Nutra, the coast just north of me is probably a bit warmer and more urban if thats what you are looking for. Also, some players are choosing to lord over very specific places, so you could theoretically be just about anywhere you wanted. if you are willing to be enclavical.

We do need a wiki.

Nah, if I was going to take a player-made house I'd take something like House Cyir (it has a cool name and location!) But I don't think that's up for grabs.

More likely than not I'll be going here:

Spoiler :

Is there anything else you could tell me about that region? Or should I make stuff up?

Good choice. This post might be poorly written because I'm in a hurry.

Let me start with climate: it will be cold most of the year -- obviously warmer and mild in the summer. Heavy, heavy snows, and a lot of rain when it's not cold enough for snow. Quite dreary winters, late falls, and early springs, honestly. However, some might say beautiful in a sense, because I imagine a lot of forests around there, and a dramatic change in colors when fall rolls around.

Historically, you have a lot of lee-way, but I'd prefer if you made a region that is not too new. Having some background stemming from pre-Solemn Age might be appropriate, given the location. However, that doesn't mean your current line can't be new -- perhaps you were appointed over those holdings and that domain by Auren I after the War, or somesuch. I'm not being terribly creative here, my apologies. But really, that's your job. ;)

Because the Aulesiri migrations moved southward, they very well could have originally missed that area because of its seemingly uninviting climate (compared to the south), but I imagine that eventually some form of settlement would have emerged because the land is capable of growing crops despite its climate, there is a coast there with ample fishing, and the rivers provide decent sources of fresh water. You could even get creative and come up with a Raayakin situation in the long past; perhaps even your house has some Raayakin blood. It's really what you want, and when you post a proposal, we can go over it; I'm not going to lie, you might have to change something. Also, there is a source of copper nearby -- you could come up with something interesting historically (perhaps the use of Raayakin slave labor to mine that copper, painting an even grimmer portrait -- if you want to). So: copper, forests with settled clearings, fishing, crops. You probably have a decent land area for producing timber, but not enough for export.

To your west, in between Ror and Korsrill, would not be much -- maybe you'd like to create that region, as well (both in relation to your house and as a world-building exercise). But I didn't imagine a massive grouping of settlements or any major cities in that land between Ror and Korsrill, but more scattered villages and not much else.

Look into House Godhart (Azale), as well, who would be your neighbor (along with Cyir). Also also, it might be worthwhile to look into what Thlayli posted on the region to your immediate west, which is a few pages back (not because you'll actually use that background, but just so you know the general situation so you can put yourself in some sort of context).

Oh, a really important thing: the resource map is off for your region. Wheat and rice are not grown there (since no one ever claimed land up there, I never changed it). Instead, I would say that hardy greens and roots such as spinach, peas, kale, turnips, rutabagas, beets, carrots, cabbage, celery, etc. would grow -- maybe potatoes planted in early spring, as well. Oh, and fruits such as apples and pears would be common. So you likely won't be exporting much food, but still capable of growing enough for your populace.

Hope this helps.

No, I don't want a higher rank. I want the rank system abolished. Being indebted as a single house does not affect the power of my vassals, or even my own house, enough to reduce me to an earl, anyway. I'm not sure why some "Dukes" even exist as such. We're all lords, period, and putting additional naming on top of that only stands to confuse the situation. Is a duke a person with a lot of money? Does that individual have to fear changing of the titles based on their economic situation? Why aren't the older houses of higher rank? A lot of things seem to be arbitrary.

I don't see it based on age of the house, or even the wealth, but how readily that house might be able to exert itself regionally (but not always). Thus, a title would be indicative of the emperor's stance towards that house (but not always); the Pale might consider it advantageous to give higher titles to those he might see as a potential threat, or those he wants to keep close. Not always, though. Take Baron Tonul, for example. A filthy rich lord (rich off of his position), perhaps richer than some counts. But his line is very new (you have the age of the house thing; even though Tonul itself may be a old house, the current appointed line is only as recent as post-War). A knight thus became a baron, only twenty years previous to our start. What will society and other lords allow? Would the emperor appoint a knight to the position of duke? Not likely. So in one sense, age of the house, or at least positioning, could be a factor -- but not the only one. In many ways, Baron Tonul could afford to hire enough mercenaries to field a small army; but he is still a baron. He does not command a level of realm-wide power to warrant anything higher; instead, as I said, he commands a very local niche.

Notice all the "not always" above.

Baron Tonul also does not have any notable vassals, and what he controls is a very, very narrow niche: the Strait, food supply to the Pale City, and the trio of fortresses that protects it all (what all other past Lords Tonul have commanded; sometimes a house can be old, the line new). That narrow niche keeps him a Baron. He could starve the Blessed Valley, by all means, or at least cause problems, but he is still a Baron. No one doubts his prestige or his power. But he is still a Baron.

So basically, title doesn't even necessarily mean how prestigious. It depends on a cornucopia of factors. Ultimately, though, the emperor is the one who chooses titles, and they are based on these factors, among others. Isn't your house supposed to be upset with the Pale City and Auren II, any way? Seems you could use the situation to your advantage.

(sorry, not much time right now to write a more coherent post)

I was bored.

This are all the supposed free houses I could find... Probably loads of mistakes.

But hey, i had fun to make it.

Attachments

• jademoonwip.jpg
    jademoonwip.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 99
I own half of the islands you gave to massive attack.

Earl is the second-highest title. There's Counts, Viscounts, Barons, possibly Baronets, and Knights below you, plus all the non-landed nobility, plus non-nobility. The only people of higher rank are Dukes, and the Emperor. There are already potentially too many Dukes.

I think House and Lord would be fine all around. In England, Dukes were generally only blood relatives of the King, and while Earls had higher social precedence and generally more income than Barons, all three of these titles paid homage to the King directly. Dukes didn't have Earls and Barons 'under' them; Dukes, Earls, and Barons had Knights, Esquires, and Gentlemen beneath them. Dukes had social precedence, but no Earl or Baron would pay taxes or send retinue when the local Duke called; that's the King's job.

Also, generally the title you have generally sticks with you no matter how your lands change, except in the case of treason. I know that Renaissance and Enlightenment Kings had Court-titles that were played with like musical chairs, but to tell a Duke that he's now a Baron would probably result in civil war. The King could take his land away, but to demote him to a lesser class?

@Starlife

Did you decide to merge the largish City of Roads in the middle of my region into Fenn? I'd be fine if you did, just want to know. Also, you should add House Derfennisy's name to the map. :) If possible, can I metastasize into any of the empty hills and mountains surrounding my region? Or across the Sibhor onto the north bank as well?

Could I also get a more detailed climate and/or sociopolitical analysis of the area, if you have a chance (a la Nutra's description)?

@Erez: Derost, Sarrel and that unnamed one to the north of E'in on the peninsula also belong to the Eyiniyas. :)

Earl is the second-highest title. There's Counts, Viscounts, Barons, possibly Baronets, and Knights below you, plus all the non-landed nobility, plus non-nobility. The only people of higher rank are Dukes, and the Emperor. There are already potentially too many Dukes.

Why is Earl listed below Count, huh? HUH?!

NK, are we still going with the idea that the Emperor's mother was a Reinar?

It's on my plan for this weekend after the map holdings and the Critical Language Application! :)

By Friday I hope to have an application done, Starlife! I can aim for getting it in earlier, but there's really a lot of stuff to hunt down/read/digest/synthesize.

Top Bottom