TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

@TerrisH: I didn't really have a response for your earlier diplo. I'm already working hard to maintain peace within my own lands, but I will not subsidize other nations to sort out their own internal problems- if I wanted other nations to have internal order, I'd conquer them myself.

To: Katan

Let us destroy Egypt together. Then we shall do battle for hegemony.

@TerrisH: I didn't really have a response for your earlier diplo. I'm already working hard to maintain peace within my own lands, but I will not subsidize other nations to sort out their own internal problems- if I wanted other nations to have internal order, I'd conquer them myself.

To: Katan

Let us destroy Egypt together. Then we shall do battle for hegemony.
I said it once I'll say it again. Typical blood thirsty barbarian ;)

OOC: There's no real reason for Hyak to respond, as Sharkali-sar is confident that Hyak's neighbours and major trading partners know us well enough to know that your statements are little but uninformed bluster. We will war mercilessly against our stated enemies, but will fight with equal vigour for those who we have pledged to protect.

OOC: There's no real reason for Hyak to respond, as Sharkali-sar is confident that Hyak's neighbours and major trading partners know us well enough to know that your statements are little but uninformed bluster. We will war mercilessly against our stated enemies, but will fight with equal vigour for those who we have pledged to protect.
Ditto.

I wonder what the league will decide ;) muhahaha

Hegemony

Chapter 1

The sun streamed through the openings in the granite walls of the Keep of Leonia. King Carles de Calliaro II sat upon his gilded throne, listening to the pleas of the commoners. This current ordeal, he thought, could only be thought up by Oledians.

"...and then he did come inside my house, m'lord, and took the coins right off the table!" the robbed man shouted.

"I did no such thing!" the commoner accused of robbing him shouted back.

"Yes you did! M'lord, I saw him, m'lord, just as I've said it!"

"And how much was it that was stolen?" the king inquired, bored of the topic.

"Seven coppers, m'lord, my-"

"Oh for the sake of Bokonon, it's seven coppers!" the king swore. "Do you really need a royal indictment? Here," Carles took a silver out of his own pocket and tossed it to the robbed man. "Better than the seven coppers you lost. Now, begone."

The King's Scribe, Alfredo Saiala, snickered as they left. "Ask a Leonian, he'll reimburse you; ask a Oledian, and he'll try and kill you," the scribe muttered to King Carles, his pen scratching away.

"Truer words have not been spoken today, Alfredo," Carles smirked, as the next man entered. He wore a fine silk tunic, embroidered with the royal crest of Lamari on its shoulders.

"I bring a message, from King Lawaki, of the Kingdom of Lamari, to Carles de Calliaro II, King of Leon, Hegemon of the Triple Crown, Titan of the Valyrian Seas, Descendant of the Valyrians, and son of the former King Joan de Calliaro III, of the same titles”

Intriguing, Carles thought. “And what does King Lawaki have to say?”

Unravelling a parchment scroll, the envoy read the message. “Carles de Calliaro II, King of Leon, Hegemon of the Triple Crown, Titan of the Valyrian Seas, Descendant of the Valyrians, and son of the former King Joan de Calliaro III, of the same titles, I come to you with my plea of help. I have known your nation to tolerate us, and our bonds have strengthened as of recently. The Kordobans, however, continue to close around shipping through the Strait of Cordoba, and are impacting everyone’s trade. It is time to end this menace. In return for our fealty to you, we ask for your aid in the destruction of the Kordobans.”

King de Calliaro thought, the Kordobans are a nuisance. Fat, stuck up merchants who think they are the best. And adding another nation into the folds of our control...

King de Calliaro stood. He stated clearly, “I, King Carles de Calliaro, shall answer the plea of King Lawaki. As of this moment, the Kingom of Leon shall purge Andalicia of the Kordobans, and control the Strait of Kordoba for the glory of the realm.”

Excited conversation rippled throughout the room as Carles sat back down. The envoy bowed and left. “People of Leon,” the king announced, “The court is over for the day. Please come back tomorrow, and I will attend to all necessary matters.”

Carles and his scribe left their positions, and head out the side door, which led straight into the dimly lit main dining hall. A calypso echoed out of the kitchen area, its sweet, drawn out tones echoing off the walls. “My king, are you sure that was wise? We have not had much encounter with Lamari before this,” Alfredo said, hesitantly.

“We are the holder of the Triple Crown, Alfredo,” the king responded nonchalantly. “We are backed by the nations of Utica and Sardinia, if we need to call upon external strength. Besides, we gain the Strait of Kordoba, and an ally. What is to lose?”
“The last holder of the Triple crown is now but an island, my king,” Alfredo warned. Turning towards the king, he said, “Beware, for great power means great enemies. We now border Keltia, and the Katanics in the east. The former, if it ever bands together, and the latter, as has been proven, are made of steel, and will easily rival us.”

“The Keltians couldn't agree over what shade of blue the sky was if it was a matter of life and death to them, and the Katanics are probably busy raping their neighbors, then marrying them or something. Besides, we grow stronger every day,” Carles replied. “Our cities rise to greatness, Iberia and the Western Seas are heavily influenced by us...we will soon truly be the hegemon. Now, assemble the Council, and gather my best generals. We must prepare for war.”

OOC: You could count this as my entry for Minigame 7, as it does involve some stereotypes. However, this will become part of my planned story arc for Leon.

OOC: Darn you Bekke!

OOC: Main reason I was asking, is that a large portion of the Paths are going through the heart of your nations, and thus it will be improving the quality of your roads when it compleats.

also.. lucky ignored it also. same reason I asked him. I am located at the heart of his empire. he would be getting the bonuses also.

ah well, just means it will finish the turn after next instead of the next one.

OOC: I've already invested heavily into infrastructure, so I doubt very much that they need further development.

To: The Faithless King of Leon
From: High King Hulath, Ruler of Ildaris, Descendant of the Draka, Lord of the Nesfrenks

We will be monitoring your aggressive actions closely. We are considering entering agreements about how much of your nation may infringe on the borders of paradise.

OOC: says the guys who claims the land up to my doorstep.

IC:
From Carles de Calliaro II, King of Leon, Hegemon of the Triple Crown, Titan of the Valyrian Seas, Descendant of the Valyrians, and son of the former King Joan de Calliaro III, of the same titles
To High King Hulath, Ruler of Ildaris, Descendant of the Draka, Lord of the Nesfrenks

First, you call me faithless. Maybe it was meant to be "not of the Faith," but in the long run, does it matter what foma we believe in? You believe in the foma of the Faith, I believe in the foma told by Bokonon in his books. It won't matter when the world ends for us, anyways, it still means the world is over. There's no reason for hostilities based upon the harmless lies of any religion, whether the religion is Zirilism, The Faith, or Bokononism, or what have you.
Secondly, it appears that you are the ones being aggressive in your expansion. You borders almost touch those of Leon, something that has not happened before. And yet you accuse us of touching Oledian land that was unclaimed until you claimed it?
Finally, is it a crime to aid an ally? I am aiding the Kingdom of Lamari, who would have declared war on Kadiz in any case. Besides, who would you sign such an agreement with?

OOC: I had no control of which land was claimed. I didn't realize how far my men would go.

IC:
To Carles de Calliaro II, King of Leon, Hegemon of the Triple Crown, Titan of the Valyrian Seas, Descendant of the Valyrians, and son of the former King Joan de Calliaro III, of the same titles
From High King Hulath, Ruler of Ildaris, Descendant of the Draka, Lord of the Nesfrenks

We were referring to the fact your nation was once of the Faith, and lost it. We are also worried about aggression due to an alliance coming out of nowhere, and a declaration of war for the sole reason of slow and more expensive trade. We are willing to discuss terms more broadly, as if you can guarantee easier trade for our people, it may be worth betraying the peace of Paradise.

From Carles de Calliaro II, King of Leon, Hegemon of the Triple Crown, Titan of the Valyrian Seas, Descendant of the Valyrians, and son of the former King Joan de Calliaro III, of the same titles
To High King Hulath, Ruler of Ildaris, Descendant of the Draka, Lord of the Nesfrenks

Ah, now I see. I wish to sign no agreements yet, but I do wish for our trade to prosper in the future.

OOC: I am going to fix up the Levantine Diplo-story, the FP stats, and FP story list in that order.

Orders are due December 14. Three weeks, with update on CHRISTMAS.

In the meanwhile, I will work on Nanowrimo and enjoy myself in other NESes. I will also work on the wiki and start preparing for Part 2 of TerraNES the Civil Experiment. Here are some sneak peeks.

1-A reworked military for simplicity while retaining options
2-Maintaining of "Classic Style" economy while streamlining economic growth
3-Reworking everyone's stats, and liberal assignment of client/puppet states.
4-Increasing importance of Culture, decreasing that of Religion, display of minority influences
5-Standardization of Horde/Organization rules to better clarify and display their purposes.
6-Rework the map (yes. :() to better display towns and forts. Towns will most likely WILL be moved.

EDIT:
To Benjamin the Gentle

Be your people farmers or herders, there are lands in Hyak in which I may grant you settlement. Be your people merchants, the rivers and roads of Hyak are grand arteries of commerce, trading goods and wealth the likes of which a desert trader may nary even imagine. Be your people warriors, we shall march together, fleeing no longer, but advancing towards victory in the lands of a distant foe.
We are but humble traders, and we accept your offer of new lands where we may settle in peace.

To Uriah of the Bedouin

I meet a man in the mold of Baragan the Mercenary himself. Pledge your allegiance to the High-King of Hyak, and Takarzi’s Blade shall lead you to fantastic plunder, and title over foreign lands.
Titles and a legacy for my people is what I desire. We shall pledge our allegience to you, as long as you deliver all you have promised.
+several hordlings

To Ebronah of the Bedouin

I’m more than well-versed in knifeplay, Chieftain of the Dust. Should you attempt to teach Hyak, you shall find yourself to be but a student. Should you realize that your martial prowess is better placed when in alignment with the Avatar of Takarzi, then you may yet have much to teach us. But enough talk. Show me your decision. One hand bears a fist of allegiance, the other bears the broken blade of ruin.
Is this a challenge? If it is it shall be one that I accept! We of the Bedouin have nothing to fear, no reason to submit! Our fathers may have lost their hold on the southern Oasii, but we shall conquer the north and redeem ourselves for eternity!

To Naraan of the Bedouin

Then let us travel as a war-party together, and see how mighty your imagination truly is.
I will travel with you, but I will only commit until I see these "riches" with my own eyes.

As the league is nearing collapse we must discuss how the pieces will be shared before the Katanic hordes come and devour all of the free people of the Levantine coast.
-- Egyptian demands from the league are simple. Cyprus and Acre are to be annexed to the empire.
-- Byblos and Ugarit must become free city states with Byblos being under direct Egyptian protection, and Ugarit under Egyptian and Hyaki protection, if Hyak wishes to protect the city as well.

As the Egyptian Diplomat watched, his smile unbreaking, a great commotion emerged from the assembled leaders of the League.

The Tyrian ambassador was the loudest, crying from the central podium.

The wholesale dismemberment of the League is NOT what we wish nor intend. We were and remain free and independent peoples of the Levant, united under the laughter of Exnot and the fist of Takarzi, preaching the ways of the Scions of Kitab and practicing the mercantile routes since ancient times. Our vote shall be completely against this proposal. Nay. Nay. Nay.

Meanwhile, Byblos and Ugarit raised a chant.

Freedom! Freedom from the Tyrian yoke! Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye! Aye!

Meanwhile, the Acren leader, a Priest in the local temple of Kitab, whispered to the Egyptian Diplomat.

We will not like this, but we don't see how we can resist if the League doesn't back us and would surrendur without the support of the Administrator's Army.

To which the smiling man responded.

Under the rule of Egypt your city will be built up to be a powerful port and magnificent fortress. Do you not wish to become greater then a town under Tyre's rule?

In his other ear, the Damascan politician conspired.

If we are established as overlord and arbitor of the region, and the go-to authority for the Levant as a whole, we will not resist this. If otherwise, however, we will resist with all our might.

To which the Egyptian responded.

As long as Byblos and Ugarit receive their independence from the league, and Cyprus will be turned to Egyptian rule, we will not mind Damascus to rule the rest of the league lands, even directly under their own power.

The two conspirators gave each other a look, then quietly finished.

We enjoy this offer by such a lenient overlord.

They then carefully returned to their seats.

The diplomat then clapped loudly and somewhat obnoxiously, ignoring the poisonous looks sent towards him by Administrator Kosa of Sidon.

As you can see the people of Ugarit and Byblos do not feel safe under your union, and for a good reason. Blood thirsty empires who conquer to kill lay at their borders, so close by. The people of Cyprus wish to no longer be part of the union as well. If you were a union, such dissent would be free to find its own place in the world. Yet it sounds like you are not.

The Administrator stood up, his booming voice intoning.

ENOUGH. These states have broken enough rules already by sending and receiving diplomats behind the back and brick of the League. There shall be a vote, and there shall be a decision. I hope that the League remains unified, but if the rest of the League agrees to throw out these lackwit members then I will enforce their wishes. DECORUM! The League shall speak as one! Out!

The Diplomat’s smile grew wider.

Enough? To the King of Egypt? Watch your words pitiful worm. What sort of rules you have, if the free cities in your union aren't free at all?

The Administrator exploded.

Real men are talking, grandpa. The League is a union of the PEOPLE of our city states, our individual cities are to have a united FOREIGN policy, under me. They are FREE for independent DOMESTIC policies. If the League votes to disband or throw out members, I will enforce it. Likewise, if they vote to prevent succession, I will, in the name of Takarzi, enforce it.

The Diplomat sneered as he turned to leave, facing the Administrator instead of the assembled leaders of the League. He hissed.

Then get to the votes. You will see how your people no longer follow your useless administrator.

The Administrator opened the door and responded in the leaving Egyptian’s ear.

I may be useless and I may not lead. But I am the best follower any squabbling set of merchant and priestly council can ask for. And that is more than what you can say, altar toppler.

He then turned to announce to the council.

I shall reserve my final decision until the Hyakkid response.

They need not wait long. The Hyakkid diplomat, a wizened veteran of Hurrian wars on the League’s northern border, read thus.

Look to the skies, mortals, and tremble, as darkness shrouds the sun and flames weep from the stars. Takarzi has risen from his Throne in Heaven, burning sword aloft, and Celestial War brews.

Look to Egypt, my friend, and see a Pharaoh who has now openly stated his wishes to dismember the League, to annex Cyprus, to throw the Levant down from its high pedestal. Their goals to weaken the League, and its commercial interests, are obvious.

Hyak wishes to preserve the league, and its mighty merchantry, as a Lordship of the High-Kingdom. Should you join us, then you stand beside us amongst the ranks of our greatest allies. Your great networks shall extend further than they have ever reached before. As you shall be mighty on the seas, Hyak's might on the land shall protect your great cities, and together we shall forge an Empire richer and more powerful than anything that has yet existed on this Earth.

The Hyakkid left to wait for the League’s response.

The Tyrian Master of the Drydocks cries, “Look to it. The Hyakkid forces would be but a greater Administrator, as powerful as a worm against us, but as mighty as Takarzi himself against those who threaten us!”

The Damascan Marshal of the East responded, “The Hyakkids would be nothing but a great plague upon us. A Lordship? Do they even understand our way of life? Heredity is nothing here, worth less than Samuel’s piss. Under Egypt most of us will stay free. Under Hyak ALL of us will stay in chains!”

As the argument settled down, they all agreed to hear the Katanic response to their announcement. The Administrator invited the ambassador back and proclaimed.

Have patience, we must wait for the Katanic response.

I agree that their intentions are clear, but I although I do prefer your offer compared to Egypt's, I do not have nor want unlimited power over the League as a lord. The first means that although garrisons loyal only to me are being sent to each secessionist city state, it is only by their ability alone would the League be held if Egypt decides to push the issue. The second means my name shall be forever reviled in all history by the men of the League.

The Katanic representative was clearly more used to shouting battlecries than giving speeches. After a few false starts, he ripped up two scrolls covered in Koislyu script and intoned.

We will absorb your league as protected states of the empire for the use of your naval power and steady tribute to Kosa. For this, we offer protection to the people of the League from all threats, domestic and foreign.

Meanwhile, outside the council, an argument of increasing intensity could be heard, this time between the Hyakkid diplomat and his Egyptian counterpart.

The League shall not be sundered. We will not stand idly while you calmly dismember our neighbour. The Oath of Naran shall not be broken. Should you proceed, you shall meet the Fist of Takarzi in Armageddon. Cyprus is lost to you and shall remain so, your borders and influence shall press no further into the Levant.
Ha! We both laugh at your threat and your imagination. If Egypt wanted to destroy the league, it would not have existed, and there is nothing uncultured barbarians could have done about it. Yet your imagination is far more amusing. Your hypocrisy is beyond words. You claim Egypt wishes to conquer the league, yet you declare the league to be part of the Hyaki barbarian state, a "lordship" under your rule. All Egypt claims is that those who wish to leave the league, will do so. The league must choose between slavery to the barbarian lord of Hyak and freedom to the city states? Hilarious. You also speak of how rich the Levantines became after the union, yet you forget that their history is full of wars and centralization efforts by any city-state that achieved leadership. For years Byblos has been in the shadow of Tyre for Tyre has ruled the league and were the only ones to benefit. For years Ugarit defenses have been left to rot even while you and your Katanic similars have remained a threat upon their city. The league have failed, miserably, always gaining power only to Tyre. Look at Ugarit and Byblos and Damascus and Cyprus - all wish to leave the league for becoming noting but shadows under Tyre.

Your hypocrisy is shown, your threats are meaningless. Egypt will not invade the league, but will support any dissenters who wish to be out of the league.

As for Cyprus - we welcome Hyak to stop Egypt from accepting the island into our empire.
You are adorable, stamping your feet so. I am certain that the Levant is convinced of your good intentions, and that they quiver in fear of the uncouth barbarism of Levea.

So spare me your spittle, and show me some blood. Let us see how your little half-gods stand up in the face of the Sword of Takarzi.
Typical blood thirsty barbarian. We aren't interested in blood, not yours nor the league's. Only in the well being and stability of this world, for the gods command us so.

If we shall meet on the battlefield, the gods will decide for those who bring orders, and not for those who only look to wound and damage.
You may now consider our respective Empires to be in a state of war.
May the gods have mercy upon you.
Our God does not know mercy.
That is sad. May our gods have mercy for you than.
A sudden yelp was heard, and a lustful voice called out.
I will annex Egypt.
The Administrator took the awkward silence, broken only by cries of pain, as a chance to invite them back into council.

They returned for their final statements.

The Hyakkid diplomat reworded his entire proposal.

For centuries, the Levant has prospered from the cooperation of its constituent states. Hyak will not sit idly by as this prosperity is torn apart by the perfidy of the Pharaoh.

Thus, I put forward this offer:

The Levantine League shall join Hyak as a Lordship. Your mode of governance shall be maintained and trade shall flourish as it has ever done so in the past. Hyak shall become the defender of the Levant, and where we stand strong on land, you shall reign over the seas on our behalf. With our forces combined, we shall see power and wealth unimagined of by our forebears.

This is our promise to you, should you join us now, in this time of great threat.

To those who would question this union, this is not a merely matter of weighing the costs and benefits of siding with Egypt, or siding with Hyak. Wherever fickle winds may blow the loyalties of your heart, the wisdom of your gut informs you of just who will triumph in this coming conflict. Those who side with Hyak, emerge intact and victorious. Those who stand against us will lose everything.

The Egyptian diplomat, his ever present smile still upon his face, was quite curt in comparison.

Egypt, the beacon of civilization, offers you freedom. Hyak, the blood thirsty barbarian horde offers you slavery. make your choices heard.

The loud sound of man on man conquest outside served to remind all of the absence of the servant they sent for refreshment as well as the Katanic representative.

“Let the Voting Began! First… shall we kick Cyrus out!”

This was somewhat surprising, but almost unanimously (except for the dissent of Woet) the League voted that Enkomi and its environs shall be no longer part of the league. All knew of the majority-egyptians of the island state, and of its independent aspirations ever since the rise of the United Egyptian Empire.

The Cypriot representative glowered as he made his leaving statement. “Don’t you see? He phrased it this way so that the Egyptian Proposal shall receive fewer votes! Table this resolution, you still have a chance.”

The Administrator put his massive hands on the representative’s shoulders and helped him out, “You are no longer one of us. Leave, and go fellate the Egyptians.”

“Now, shall we stay independent or shall we be dependent on a foreign power?”

Again, the entire league except Woet voted that the League can no longer afford to stay independent. The declaration of war between Hyak and Egypt makes their choice ever more important of one or the other, lest the entire region becomes a free-for-all for both empires.

And, in a truly unanimous vote, the Katanic plan was rejected.

But now, the true contested vote has come. There are now 18 votes, with the Administrator’s sidonese vote being the tiebreaker.

Administrator Kusach voted for the Hyakkid plan, declaring, “I do not seek to be lord, and I shall step down if this plan succeeds. However, we all know of the truth of the Oath of Naran and of Hyak’s pledge. United not only in the league but also under the High Kingdom, we will become infinitely wealthy.”

The Tyrian Master of the Docks voted for Hyak, declaring, “This nonsense of the Tyrian Tyranny is complete . United, Tyre has the best harbors and the most friendly, allowing all of the League to dock without toll or complaints. Our dry docks offer great benefits for all of the League. Divided, I swear they will raise tariffs and close the docks. Nothing personal, but that is what is going to happen.”

The other two Tyrians all voted for Hyak as well. So did the Sirian town of Harran, the merchant colony of Woet and the Hurrian Highlands. Seven, seven voted for Hyak.

Then came the Aegean votes. And it came firmly with Egypt. “Egypt’s fleet is much greater than anything we have” called the Thlorynite representative, “With Cyprus under Egyptian Dominion, we trust them to defend us as well.”

And soon Ugarit, Byblos, and even Acre voted for the Egyptian plan. Seven voted firmly with Egypt.

There are four votes remaining. And all eyes turned on Damascus. Their representatives were undergoing fierce discussion before finally, the two representatives walked up.

“I vote for Egypt!”

“I vote for Hyak!”

A collective gasp went through the room. The votes are split- unprecedented! The atmosphere in the room tensioned as the Ugarit-Sirian town voted for Hyak, knowing of the civil conflict within its people if they voted for Egypt.

All eyes turned on the town of Wic, a mere stone’s throw from the Hyakkid border.

“I vote Egypt!” called the representative. “Siria shall never fall under the dominion of Hyak!”

The vote, for the first time in Levantine History, was completely split. The Egyptian faction was in an uproar: Cyrpus and Enkomi would have voted for Egypt, giving them a decisive 3 vote lead! The Hyakkid faction roared back: even the Egyptian faction voted to kick them out!

The Administrator gave his final announcement.

“THE LEAGUE MUST STICK TOGETHER. We have voted as we shall fall under Hyak’s mandate. And I shall resign my post this afternoon after sending the results to all elements of the Administrator’s Army.

Be warned, if you wish to rebel, we defend your walls and your keeps. If you rebel, you shall be considered an enemy of the joint council of the League and the Administrator’s Army shall seize your cities and hold them in common in the name of the League.

Have a good day.”

THE LEAGUE CHOSES HYAK.

Top Bottom