TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

"So by vote numbers it was a tie, and by administrator claim it was not?"
"Yes my king."
"And I thought they decide by voting. So they wanted to become part of Egypt?"
"Yes my king. Half of them."
"That is indeed strange. I never even offered them to become part of the empire. I have no interest in their lands."
"Yes my king. As you say."
"The war Hyak declared with us still stands. A petty brutish empire. There are many ways one may fall."
"Indeed my king?"
"You do not see? Hyak is large but barely whole. Like a house made of straw. One blow and the entire thing will fall."
"Yes my king, but their armies are strong. They are well trained blood thirsty warriors."
"Indeed they are. My peasant armies fare little chance in a head to head battle. We must aprouch this from another direction..."
"Yes my king? What direction?"
"Call my vizier. We have plots to devise"
"Yes my king. Right at once."

And so it was, that the vizier and king spent three whole days in the Anorian ancient palace. Yells could be heard at times, followed by quick silence. Yet three days later they called the generals, the admirals and the diplomats. Egypt will finally battle its greatest opponent yet, and all faces of Egypt will take part of this project.

"As for the support to the carpenter league. It may have to be delayed."
"As you order my king."

Will the front page be updated with the update 16 stories and update 17 soon?

Answer the Call, Marchers

I suppose that if I must, I'll write this little journal to keep track of our deeds in order to placate that childish Titus. A former scholar I may be, but still that does not give him the right to shove me around like one of those meatbag Teutons that occupies my blessed nation's lands. And yet I allowed myself to be roped in by his honeyed tongue promising glory and honor, revenge and valor against those blasted lancers that exiled my people and my family from our civilization. Bloody fools; we should have cleaned house of them when the Red Prophet was captured, should have scattered them to the winds and burned their creations to ash. But our weak spined leader of a king bowed before their demands, and the Red March was started; I may be a Marcher lord with my brother, but I long for our former homelands.

Anyways, were was I... a record of myself and my brother. My name is Oscar, Oscar of Redland, a juxtaposition of the name of our lands in the Red March. Horrid name, wish I could get rid of it... but I still have to wear it with some sort of semblance of pride. Blood of the Iron Prophets and the Red Prophet courses through my veins, and as a Marcher lord I am a powerful man; in another era I might have been considered for the role of a Lance Point commander in the Iron Lances, or a generalship in the Vahlshallahn military rather than being thrown out into the Teutonlands in order to foster the spread of the Red March.

And so I might have lived my life of spreading the Red March to the south and to the East, as the Vahlshallahn Army makes it's feints and moves on other fronts, expanding it's own borders and the reign of the stitched together New Valyrian Empire and the Red Alliance fostered under it's command. I wouldn't have loved it, as I prefer reading and crafting rather to killing and fighting, but it is indeed a necessary evil that we have been forced to turn to. Our former practices of bloodletting and drinking has turned into outright cannibalism in multiple sects of the Red Faith, and all of it comes about from that blasted mandate from that heretic Fellip. Needless to say I shed no tears when I heard he had been stabbed to death like an animal, but instead shed a few when Jonnah didn't fall down and bleed to death.

But then Titus, bloody bastard of the Aowlands that he is, came and visited me in the lands of the Red March. The Aowlands are allowed to come into the lands of the Red March, and they are not preyed upon by the Marcher lords. They aren't supposed to be hear, but the Aowlands use the offshoots of Red Militants as centers of info, couriers, and other such things, as well as getting their teufela from the massive plantations in the lands of the Red March. Teufela is our primary export and trade, and gets sent to Vahlshallah, Beurtgang, and other Faithful nations in the ongoing fight against those that would strike at the true Faith.

So he comes to me and he tells me in my home that he has a proposition for me. Do I want to strike back at the fools that exiled me and my family from my homelands because we were "monsters", "demons", "heretics"? I tell him yes, but I ask him, how exactly can I do this? Jonnah and his ilk are safe in Nessos and they are smiling and nodding to each other thinking our lands are naught to worry about, that the Vahlshallahn empire has the Red March under control. Titus gives me a wolfish smile and tells me that we can end Jonnah and his heretical ilk, and install a true believer of the Faith into the seat of the Iron Prophet without him even realizing that we've helped him out. I'm more than eager for this, and yet my brother is apathetic.

That will not be so. We must go, we must march. I will not stand idly by and waste my life laboring on things I do not want to do. I want revenge, I want blood, I want retribution for those that struck against us. I want vengeance, glory, valor, honor, bloodshed, and a good fight at the end of the day, and the ability to spill my enemy's blood upon my blade as I laugh and pay homage to our god. I want enjoyment for every kill I get, cause, and wreak upon the world, as I carve a red rent across the swathe of heretics and nonbelievers that stand in our path. They think we are weak, pathetic, lax, think we can be shoved aside and hurled away when we saved them... we will not do so.

Titus says it's a suicide mission perhaps. I don't care. Me and my brother will both go to our deaths if it means the death of Jonnah and the destruction of the old order. If I can burn Nessos and send scores of souls to the Red Reaper, then so be it, and the more the merrier. It is wonderful to wreak such havoc, and I will enjoy every second of it.

So ends my first entry I guess.

-Oscar of Redland.

One of the links is the wrong way round: the text to display is where the URL should be and the URL is where the text displayed should be.

Also, I am not given credit for my stories

Taking a stand

Yang Official Decree, the Foreign Office
Summer, 43 F.H.E.

WIP

Hegemony

Chapter 1
Chapter 2

The sun was dipping below the horizon when Carles de Calliaro arrived at the Council meeting. “How are the war preparations going?” he inquired as he sat down at the head of the table.

“Lawaki has enough military, he just needs a navy. We’re sending him some ships, as well as a Division to aid them, and to claim the land for Leon,” a young man answered him. Tall, muscular, and tan, Juan Severo Prieto was the perfect symbol of the Army of Leon, and his tactical superiority had been proven on the battlefield, after being given command of the Second Division when his commander fell in battle.

“And I assume you want your second division to do the job, Juan? You must be tired of dealing with barbarians and natives by now,” the king joked.

“Me? No, I always just love to do that stuff!” replied Juan sarcastically.

Alfredo, the scribe, read off of the official command document, “Twenty and five Curraghs, carrying the Second Division, which is made up of the Second, Third, and Fourth Spearmen Groups, all under the command of General Juan Severo Prieto, from the Kingdom of Leon.”

“Twenty and five?” The king asked. “Are the Lamari trying to rob us? Send twenty, we need the remainder at home defending our trade.”

Alfredo scratched out some words on the paper, and replied “Make that twenty Curraghs.”

“Juan, I trust you can get the tactical details sorted out, so let us move onto expansion. Álvaro?” the king pointed to Álvaro Escarrà, commander of the First Division and the military/expansion adviser to the king.

Álvaro stood and replied, “My king, I recommend sending the Third Division to Vascony, Fourth to Oledo, and the First to Nueva Valyria, with the 1st Guards in Leon, and 2nd Guards in Corsica. The Curraghs remaining will move between ports to protect our shipping and trade. In terms of new recruits and training, we need more spearmen, and the Second needs archers, so I suggest 4 new groups of Spearmen and 1 new group of archers. Our navy is fine at the moment, but I suspect we will need to increase it after the Kordobans are gone. I also would like training for the new Group of the First.”

The king nodded slowly. “Yes, this will work. This will work well. I think the new archer Group for the Second shouldn’t go yet, though, as we need archers who have seen battle for such a war. Leave that archer Group with the Third Division. Vascony should give the men some taste of blood.”

Álvaro nodded, and wrote some notes down. “Now, Fabricio, how comes the construction of the Great School, and you said you have something you wish to mention?”

Fabricio Del Bosque, Construction Master, replied, his Valyrian accent noticeable in a room full of Iberians, “The school is about halfway done, my lord. It is going well, and people from other nations are already arriving. However, what I wished to talk of is fortifications. The Pyrenain Mountains are a major part of our nation. However, we are not using these for a great purpose that I have seen- defense. I suggest that we set up forts along the Pyrenees, with a permanent guard stationed there. no one will be able to cross without permission, as long as we block all of the major places with forts and gates.”

“This sounds very reasonable, and should be easy to do,” Carles stated. “Alfredo, any closing words?”

He read off the list to the Council of the spending. The king nodded in reply, and stated “Well, men, you know what tasks are required. Good night.”

They all left, going their own ways, with their own tasks.

Kingdom of K'i'ik /Kinich-Ahau
Color: Darkish Blue
Location: Along the banks of the Motagua River. (Just South of the Yucatan Peninsula)
Background: The Kingdom of K'i'ik, centered on the city of Kaminaljuyu (El Portón IRL) emerged shortly after the domestication of the Teosinte plant into Maize. As the Maya people settled into cities, Kaminaljuyu’s favorable position near the only Jade sources in Mesoamerica allowed the city to grow quickly & exert considerable influence over her neighbors. Now, an ambitious King seeks to see the city’s economic dominance transform into political & military dominance, & hopes that soon the thriving Kingdom of K'i'ik will rule the whole of the Motagua River.

Welcome! I will be hard at work at HW/Test Prep/Nano tonight, but I will try to come up with a new map and finish minigame 6 tonight.

Speaking of minigames, I would like to present

MINGAME 8

We all know what peasants eat. Glorified crap. We also know what the rich eat. Glorified, gold sprinkled crap.

What Minigame 8 is looking for is CULTURAL CUISINE and TASTES. I will be enjoying your description of streetfood, feasting stables and the simply bizarre foods your people eat and some of the history behind it. Was a certain pastry designed to commemorate a victory? Was a certain steamed treat made to save a man destined to be fish food? Do they eat buttered snails?

If you really want, you can talk about varieties of "normal" foods like their awesome wine or cheese or frenchiness. I'm OK with real-life parallels as well. What I truly, really want however, is your own twist on food!

Of course and as always, both roleplayed and textbook style encounters are accepted!

Homeward Bound

Titus Vahlen
Oscar of Redland
Malakai of the Crimson Flame
Varus Shalus
Dontos Berrin
Smiling Jack of the Ash Lake
Merrik Suthers
Jorge Nymore

The gang's all here it seems.

We're heading to Nessos soon, Titus has said as much. Jack is ready to go, so is Jorge and Merrik and all the others that are bloody enough to be ready. I suppose that I myself am ready to go, if for some petty form of vengeance. Malakai, my brother, I am none to sure about, and Varus seems loath to leave his home, but leave we must. I suppose I must write about what my compatriots have done to earn themselves a spot in the group that is heading out to slay an Iron Prophet that none of us are too happy with.

Titus: He's been a member of the Forsworn since the day of his birth. His father was a heavy trooper and put him into the militant order at an early age when the Iron Lances turned against us. He's always had a knack for cunning and sketchy dealings, and was indicted into the Aowlands at a younger age than most would be. He's served in several assassination missions abroad, primarily in Armorica, the lands of the Alfrenks, and indeed against the Iron Lances. He was a part of the group that attempted to kill Jonnah back awhile ago, but failed to do so, and word of that and his failures apparently made him a pariah in the Aowlands. It was his first mission that he was leading, and a fair portion of his men were cut down and lost; if that happens when you are leading an operation as an Aowlander, you aren't supposed to come back alive. Well, he did, and now he's looking to even the score and finish what he started, and may nothing stop him.

Smiling Jack: Not much to say about him. He's a man out of the Stone Faith, rather scary individual even for myself. Served in many of the different militant groups, from the Forsworn and the Nine Dragons, to the Spotted Faith and their military order and even the Knights of Ash. Worked as a mercenary in the hinterlands and fought against the Teutons as well. That last time earned him some nasty scars, sliced open his mouth to his ear on both sides and burned the right half of his face. Now, he's a tapestry of wounds, and a vicious man who is always grinning at you as he gladly prys away your flesh. For certain, I would not want to stand against him.

Malakai: My brother, he's a Marcher much like myself, and a bit less bitter than I am, but that's like saying a round of preserved pork is less salty than the whole of the ocean. He's a good man through and through, but gloomy enough as it is. Honestly, I don't want him to come with us as more likely than not this is a one way mission to slay the Iron Prophet to part the path for Heinrach Myles, but he insisted upon joining for this even though I deliberately told him to stay behind.

Jorge: Not much to see here, he's just a man of the Nine Dragons, wears that damned helm every damn day it seems. Nine Dragons were originally going to send a team with us, but balked when they heard that it was quite possibly going to be a one way mission and pulled them back. Jorge decided that he was going to try his luck and kill the Iron Prophet with us, and signed up with Titus. Hopefully, this will galvanize the Nine Dragons Order to become more audacious here in he future, though their former profession of hunting the Dragon Horde members seems to have been outstripped by the inclusion of the Dragon Horde into the New Valyrian hegemony.

Merrik: Jorge's cousin or brother, kind of hard to tell; he was a Knight of Ash for a long time and still is, and is representing a rather radical faction of the Grey Faith in this bloody business. The Grey Faith does after all have a vested interest in making sure that Heinrach Myles outstrips all of the other candidates as well, given as this will be the first time that a Grey Faith candidate has even gotten close since the days of Bloody Omar, so they have been very interested in the proceedings that will be going on. Not to mention Merrik has a personal grudge against one of the other candidates it seems, so he's probably going to sort that out with stabbings once we get to Nessos undoubtedly.

Dontos: Man of the Spotted Faith, and a berserker captain that thrives on a cocktail of teufela and ale. He's quite good at his job, and loves his wisecracks and being a jovial man and all that, it's almost hard to believe that he's enough of a killer to warrant the attention of Titus. Titus only picked the bravest and the brightest of the psychopaths that he knew, so the fun loving Dontos that we have is rather perturbing to say the least, especially since he's none to eager to share his own history. I'm worried only slightly a bit about that, but only time will tell.

Guess that ends this entry.

-Oscar of Redland

Eterikan City Planning (on Eterikan culture and society)
OOC: I hope writing stories for neighbors actually gives me better diplo with them ;)

The nation of Eterika which sits on the gateway to the Long Sea has long entered the stage of civilization where large cities are constructed, however their internal politics are stilll largly dictated by their tribal past. Large Eterikan cities such as Eterika, Punt, Aden and Saba are often split into at least three quarters. The first quarter that usually includes the governors palace (except in Aden), armory and part of the docks is the Eterikan third, where those tribes who supported early Eterika live. Political power is usually concentrated here, as is the military command, though Aden is the exception to both. There, the Adenite third houses the main palace, but in most places it consists of the docks and market district. Here are most of the nations corporations, markets and guilds. Commercial power is concentrated here, though it is wrong to conjecture that commerce is always in the hands of Adenites, Eterikan corporations are possible, but they will usually base themselves here and employ Adenits since this part of the city has the best commercial infrastructure. The third part, often called the Tribal Third in these cities is often the poorest and houses those tribes that did not initally join the civilizing movement. Any power that may be here is in the form of large farmers markets where people from the countryside congregate to sell their wares. Nontheless this section of the city is often the poorest, since it rarely has the influence of the other two, and thus is often overlooked for city infrastructure projects. This has created friction and led to rebellions such as the Teripian tribal movement in inner Somalia, though for now these are minor and there is hope that steps will be taken either to crush them or to integrate them into mainstreem Eterikan society.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11583351&postcount=2392
Simple really. Name your cities, your neighbors, your minorities. Draw trade routes into and out of your nation. Discuss or research natural resources, and show off manufactured trade goods! Basically- Make a map and explain it! This is similar to the "Make a Map" around Update 4.

In addition, I will consider these new names and will canonize those of the winners for their neighbors.
Alright, time to take a look at these submissions.
---M6:people of the Horde-by Lokki of the Draka Horde
---M6: Armorica and the Druids-by Gem_Hound of Armorica
---M6: Alfrenks-By Eltain
---M6: Exalted Cartographers present Fallen Sea Trade Routes-by Stockholme of Doussa
---M6: Places of Hyak and those that Should Be-By Lord_Iggy of Hyak
---M6: The Western Seas-by Sam Sniped of Leon
---M6: Maps of the Flight of the Jin and the Wider Xilan Region-by Optical of the Jin Horde
---M6: Long Sea Trade and Axum-by spaceman98 of Axum---M6: Internal Divisions-by Lord Iggy of Hyak
---M6: Overview of the trade activities by Seoul-by Major of Seoul
---M6: An Attempt-by Arrow Gamer of Amir
---M6: The Known Egyptian World and Trade-by Erez87 of the United Egyptian Empire
Now for the Criteria!

2-Most Crazy
“senseless; impractical; totally unsound
Simply the most insane and out of this world. To win this criteria, the submission must show the sheer illogical points of view the culture has on the subject; bonus if the submission also proves how said culture justifies it.

4-Most Familiar
“commonly or generally known or seen:”
To win at this criteria, the submission must be able to be accepted into mainstream Asian/American social life. This does not mean copying real life traditions, but that such traditions are grounded in the real world. This is completely opposite to the three above.

9-Best Fit
This criteria is looking at how well the submission fits what is already known about a culture.

Hm… 4 is the easiest. 9 is a bit harder and 2? I will judge 2 by how hard the names and stuff would be for me to use. :p

Now, for #2!
1st goes to Eltain of the Alfrenks
2nd goes to Gem_hound of Armorica
3rd goes to Mayor of Seoul

These people went all out in making names I can neither remember or type correctly, forcing me to using their maps ALL THE TIME.

1st goes to erez87 of Egypt
2nd goes to SamSniped of Leon
3rd goes to erez87 of Egypt

Erez basically copied Wikipedia, throwing in names I made up when necessary. This is not to say it isn’t useful or familiar by itself. SamSniped’s names are changed but familiar

1st goes to J.K. Stockholme of Doussa
2nd goes to Lord Iggy of Hyak
3rd goes to erez87 of Egypt

We all know OTL Egypt is similar to IRL Egypt. Except bigger, of course. Doussa is very well documented, and Stock’s post served to expand the documentation. Hyak’s map matches Iggy’s former descriptions of his internal structure, making it fit well into both our visions.

Also, here is to say that the ones I found most “useful” are Stock’s, Iggy’s, Rez’, Gemmy’s and Mayor’s.

Now, we have our top six. Who wins the Show Down?
1st goes to erez87 of Egypt
2nd goes to Lord Iggy of Hyak
3rd goes to Gem Hound of Armorica

Erez87 wins because of how his map is familiar and fits his culture really well. However, it is quite a useful map on its own and I will consult it way more often than I had. Lord Iggy’s map is very high quality and very detailed. He later expands it and brings up lots of good info. Gem Hound’s map is interesting, and good, but he wins 3rd because of using it in his orders, descriptions and such so that the map and the culture works together.

Honorable mention to SamSniped of Leon, for getting very close to what I actually wanted in the prompt: a map AND an explanation.

So what do they win? Their dudes are better are charting courses. More specifically, armies and logistics would get lost less often, trade gets through more often, and all such small little bonuses that mean almost nothing but which makes everything worth it! ;)

Not to mention the satisfaction of winning and of contributing of course. But that makes EVERYONE a winner. :p

Top Bottom