Dawn of the Punic Sea [DoC]

Those poor Ottomans. They really should have been given a settler.

Phoenicians in the new world, huh? What's next; space perhaps?

Now what you need to do is CONQUER THE UNIVERSE!!!!

Phoenicians in the new world, huh? What's next; space perhaps?

No, it's filled by the Polish already.

Great update. Economics and rifles by the fifteenth century is great, really, wouldn't be able to pull that off myself.

Merry Christmas, Civ4 Stories & Tales!

Afonso Henriques of the Kingdom of Portugal submits himself to Hannibal.
Consolidating control over the whole of the Iberian Peninsula would be strategically
advantageous, in the event of a future war. It would be good not to be flanked from
another front in the scenario of a continental European war. The master strategist
also envisioned a future role for the humble king as his foremost explorers and settlers in the world, for the Portuguese peoples showed a knack for navigation, much like his own people.

Another Phoenician company lands on the shores of the Inca, ready to plunder.

With the Ottoman threat neutralized, the Greco-Phoenician population of Byzantion
took the time to reflect upon the times of hardship not suffered since the arrival of the Arabs.
Soulful ballads, as a result, became popular in the ancient and storied city,
One ballad, "Coming Home", written by the son of a soldier,
even moved the weathered Hannibal to tears and he took it upon
himself to become the young songwriter's personal patron.

The Phoenician dictator would intervene directly with the Inca though, sensing their potential,
and negotiated their admittance into the Phoenician family of nations.
The adventurers were called off and made to function as a garrison for their new Incan superior.

Times are a' changing.
Smoke billows over the Mediterranean as industry roars with life
but chokes out the vibrant blues and greens of the life-giving sea.
Phoenicia enters the Industrial Era and there is no going back.

However, so long as progress exists, there will continue to be traditional elements to contest against it.

Isabella ships her armies across the sea to capture the old Moorish city of Marrakesh.
With Marrakesh under Phoenician control, the whole of the Mediterranean now belongs to the great Punic Empire.

After many centuries of wandering without a state following their defeat at the hands of Hannibal's rifles, the Ottomans finally collapse completely.
Meanwhile, in the New World, Phoenician explorers encroach on native territory, provoking attacks and encirclement on the expeditionary force.
The Phoenicians hunker down and wait for support as they hunt in the forests amidst unusually abundant populations of deer.

Back in the Old World, an alarming development had risen forth to the surface.
Caesar, who was nowhere to be found for several centuries, had come into public view.
This time, he had given his blessing to the tsars of Russia, proclaiming them to be the Third Rome.
With his assistance, the Russians brutally conquered and subjugated numerous Central Asian peoples, expanding their territory at a rapid pace.
In terms of terrestrial territory, the Russians, under Caesar's tutelage became the largest empire in the world, poised to challenge the Phoenicians.

The passing of Caesar's favor could not be more evident, as Saladin had disappeared from public life.
Rumor has it that he was assassinated, or that he had grown weary of shouldering the burden of civic responsibility.
In either case, the Caliphate collapsed into disrepair and ceased to exist as a unified state.

*sigh* I guess it's better than nothing.

Well, you don't really have a choice... :p

You gon' collapse.

You gon' collapse.

Is that a challenge? :D

The social climate of the Punic Sea would see many changes during the 15th century.
The power of religion in everyday life had waned; Tanitism & Baalism no longer wielded as much influence as they once did.
People became more concerned about civil liberties and accordingly, began to desire a democratic form of government.
Hannibal would step down as supreme leader of the Punic Empire and allowed for his people to chart their own course into the world.
He was tired of ruling and the burdens that came with it. He had lost too many friends and his first wife that way.
So very tired. For now, he would enjoy a respite with Isabella, as the Phoenicians began to chart the path of their own destinies.

Ragnar had had centuries to temper his rage.
He had now come to a point where he was humble enough
to ask for aid from his former enemies the Phoenicians.
His people were under attack by the Safavids, the descendants of the ancient Persians.
Unlikely the ancient allies of old, the Safavids were quite hostile towards Phoenicia in general.
Thus, the Senate voted unanimously to bring Ragnar's lands into the family of
Phoenician nations and war was subsequently declared against the Safavids.

In the international sphere, Holy Rome had declared a crusade against the Tanitist former Arabian territories.
With their newfound riches, the former Confederation of the Rhine declared independence from their French overlords.
The Senate motions to maintain neutrality in this conflict although it will watch closely.
Meanwhile, in East Asia, the once great Mongol Empire collapses after failing their invasion of the warring Chinese city states.
The Third Rome rises to the peak position the Mongol once held and become a direct rival to the Phoenicians for world supremacy.

The Third Rome rises to the peak position the Mongol once held and become a direct rival to the Phoenicians for world supremacy.

They've still got only half of your score, but whatever :mischief:

Following the collapse of the Mongols in the Far East, China re-emerges, reunited, like a phoenix reborn from the ashes.
The new dynasty, the Ming Dynasty has consolidated control over China proper, but is shaky on its limbs like a newborn deer.

By the way, this here is the Trafalgar Square, one of the new wonders introduced from 1.9 onwards.
It probably would have been more appropriate for me to build it in my capital, which enjoys meaty production rates thanks to The Great Cothon.
However, there were certain strategic incentives for me to build it in Qart-Hadasht.
1) I didn't want to waste my Wonder cap in Kition on a low-Hammer cost wonder.
2) Qart-Hadasht is much closer to the Atlantic allowing me to shuttle my vessels out faster.
The Trafalgar Square is quite decent; be sure to get it for a coastal production city.
And if you're playing America, this is absolutely a requirement for optimizing your fleet for the inevitable Oil grabs with the 5+ XP.

Large Safavid armies cross the border, occupying Phoenician cottages in Mesopotamia.
Armies are being rushed over to crush the Safavid incursion but until then,
a brave pair of Portuguese scouts continue to evade the enemy.
Also, the Dutch are born.

Alas, the Phoenician cavalry could not make it time to rescue the border folk as the Safavids massacred the civilians and plundered the cottages.
The cavalry was able to inflict some losses on the Safavids as they retreated though, annihilating a significant portion of their musket corps in revenge.

As swarms of Phoenician cavalry threatened the Safavid border, Abbas had no choice but to make peace, for fear of serious reprisals.
He paid the Phoenician Senate a handsome war indemnity, although a significant portion of it was Phoenician wealth to begin with.
The eastern border of the Punic Republic would be safe for now, but the memory of the Safavid raids would live on in their memory forever.

And we meet Hongwu, the leader of the newly resurrected Chinese.

And if you're playing America, this is absolutely a requirement for optimizing your fleet for the inevitable Oil grabs with the 5+ XP.

How exactly does that work? I'm always in a hurry as America to grab all the Industrial wonders (Eiffel tower, hit trio, Pentagon, SoL) and can barely spare production on the wonder, let alone a wooden fleet (since it obsoletes with Combustion, which I reach by +-1870). Of course, it's possible you're playing so much better than me that you've got plenty of spare hammers ;).

I wonder if the Cholas will survive the British TC conquerors.
Happy new year, by the way!

sure why not invade the mid east with wooden galleons. Not as crazy as Phoenician rifles in the 1500's. HOW ARE YOU STABLE!!!

I'll just have to sub this thread ^^

Top Bottom