SGOTM 17 - Unusual Suspects

Sorry for thread spamming, but after yet more reflection, nothing visible is better than those phants.

The rice is worth 4 fpt, same as the farmed bananas, but it doesn't have the 2f3h1c tiles that the phants does....

So, scout to go direct to the phants site to fogbust (will only be there for 1-2 turns before it is settled anyway, after that it can maybe explore the rice site.

Archer to keep exploring, it has a much longer life expectency than the scout anyway once barbs start in earnest

edit: out west is another great potential GP Farm, 2 bananas, rice & shared pigs.

Worst case scenario (all jungle/forest) it takes our scout 7 turns to reveal the rice/banana spot. How many turns until we have our settler out? Are we putting another chop into it, or pasturing the pigs first?

current testing had us chopping again before the pigs. I did try it the other way around but it was slower both to get city 2 but also slower to grow, as we spend more turns not growing when building the settler.

edit: talk to you tomorrow! :sleep:

I think we are in agreement that Math is the best tech option. It would open up Calendar, Currency, and Construction, all of which (except maybe Construction) are things we will need soon.

How about Chris play to the next stopping point, which is finishing the settler on turn 10, while the scout comes back to fogbust, the archer continues westward, and we set the research to Math?

Good work Chris :goodjob:

edit: with iron working, the site 1SE of the horses (between horses and gems) could be a very special city.
Yes - I like that location as potential city 3.

It looks like we are at the NE corner of the map, with no one to our immediate north. The horse/pig/banana site is too far away to consider right now, and should be safe until the AI gets IW.

I agree about the rice/banana site looking nice. We should expand toward the AI.
Which AI? What are the chances we are isolated?

I can't see the images at work, but I can open the save.....

So many bananas, we have to get Calendar.
So much jungle, we have to get IW.

Pigs, Rice, Horses, Bananas & Gems is fantastic, but will take ages to setup and is miles away.

I still kind of like the 4 phants site first, as it has very powerful tiles. The other contender for city 2 is the rice/bananas to the east.
I like 4-phant as well as city 2.

Sniped by Neil. I think I agree - the scout can come back and fogbust for the oliphant settler, and then continue to explore.
Yup. Must use the scout strategically.

Agree that math is first. Tough call IW or Calendar next.
Attached are some potential city sites.
Would also be nice to do some southern scouting. Will need some archers along the way.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 60
Which AI? What are the chances we are isolated?

I don't know, which is the reason I think Chris should play another 5 turns or so, if we all agree on the tech and unit moves. We could really use more info. That said, the elephants site looks strong enough that it would a solid choice for city #2.

I guess what I meant by "toward the AI" is "away from the edge". :)

PPP

Set research to Mathematics
Scout: E SE; S; SE SE; E E; sentry
Archer: Explore to SW
Worker: S to forest; chop; SW to pigs & pasture
Aachen: build settler

Stop conditions:
Settler complete
Weirdness

Green from me.

I would have the scout finish on the forest though, so the last movement would be 2E, not E SE.

edit: and I think the very nice 5 resource location will have to wait until city 4 or 5. Its so far away, and needs IW and lots of worker turn. Other city locations don't yet.

It's funny, normally the first few turnsets are so dull, at least this one has been interesting so far.

I am going to try get some testing in today.

The current placeholder was:
Aachen: granary (whipped) -> settler -> archer
Phant Town: worker

What I might try instead is:
Aachen: archer -> granary (whipped) -> settler

The bonus with this is that the worker micro can stay the same, and the next chop goes into the settler, after we have Maths, which is best with our IMP trait.

I will check the relative dates of the 2 approaches, but I think with 2 cities we should maybe have at least 1 defender/fogbuster.

Personally I would just go for it, as you are only proposing is the first tech and where the scout & archer moves (which everyone seems to agree with, even if they haven't said 'green').

We are stopping before the next decisions need to be made (and tested).

:eek: :crazyeye: :eekdance:

Hold the presses, we have weirdness!

Spoiler :
That's a railroad!

Spoiler :
Really, a railroad!

Save uploaded. Is this weird enough to stop altogether, or should I just play out the turns until the settler is built?

Well, that didn't take long.

I think we need more info, so play on until the stopping point or yet even more weirdness?

Edit: If an AI has railroads (or the tech Railroads), might they also have machine guns? :faint:

Top Bottom