Civ V - One World Speculation Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's usually half a year between announcement and release. So if they announce it at this month then the release will be July/September. I fondly recall G&K being released shortly before my birthday and this was at the end of June.

For expansions they've tended to announce things in February for June releases and March for July releases.

This morning I saw a pigeon clutching a hedgehog as it flew past my window. I took this as an omen.

I cast my Oracle Bones and the prophecy foretold the announcement of Civ V One World this week.

**--graphics courtesy of my girlfriend--**

This morning I saw a pigeon clutching a hedgehog as it flew past my window. I took this as an omen.

I cast my Oracle Bones and the prophecy foretold the announcement of Civ V One World this week.

**--graphics courtesy of my girlfriend--**

Actually you made a slight error in your oracle bone reading. When bones are crossed in a perfect X next to the skull, that means announcement.

When the are crossed like a slanted upside down T, it means no announcement.

And when there is a snail present it means, 'death to those who read this'

Thing is, Basbeball is soon to start, may not have as much time to check for an announcement every day.

Actually you made a slight error in your oracle bone reading. When bones are crossed in a perfect X next to the skull, that means announcement.

When the are crossed like a slanted upside down T, it means no announcement.

And when there is a snail present it means, 'death to those who read this'

oh but that's just an artist's impression of my reading.
It told me an announcement would be provided on 6 March @ 6:45pm GMT.

...yeah, sorry about the snail, I can see how that would have caused confusion.

Is it stupid to want them to add the Olympics to the game? Starting in like 1850 or something? It makes sense with the title/theme of the new expansion. There could be some interesting gameplay components and nice boosts to culture or gold or science depending on what sports your civ wins

Is it stupid to want them to add the Olympics to the game? Starting in like 1850 or something? It makes sense with the title/theme of the new expansion. There could be some interesting gameplay components and nice boosts to culture or gold or science depending on what sports your civ wins

Sports events will just be used as casus belli for declaring war anyway. Ref football war in 1969 between Honduras and El Salvador :)

I'm feeling a Wednesday announcement.

Remember how the Gold Edition was a *Daily* Deal yesterday? Well, Steam extended the deal for another 24 hours, which I've never seen happen in my two years of regularly checking the Steam store. Firaxis wouldn't the new expansion to be announced while the deal is still active (people would probably wait and not buy it), so a Wednesday (or possibly Thursday) announcement is looking increasingly likely.

Hey, any thoughts on buildings?

G&K buildings utilized a couple new gameplay elements. Like temples and religious buildings producing faith. Or constabularies and police stations which limit spying.

"One World" buildings would seem to promote your influence spread over other civilizations. Obviously a Portuguese feitoria would replace the harbor a seaport, but what else could this or other buildings give which connects with the game's theme?

Maybe something which gives better discounts on traded items, diplomatic boosts with city-states, colonies integrating into your empire faster, etc.

I'd guess we'll hear about the Panama Canal and the LHC for this expansion. That is, if it really is called 'One World' and does have a modern kind of focus to it. Canals would be fantastic in general actually, so long as they had high maintenance costs (except the Panama Canal) etc. Maybe the Three Gorges Damn as well...

If 1W have Panama Canal. Some might whine about lack of Suez Canal.
I guess Panama/Suez Canal should be powerful wonder. Like generate builder income from global or continental trade and give builder /and later, preferably by UN's voting, everyone to "warp" ship between canal's end for all movement point left and they should have limited place to build them, or penalty in building in unfavorable environment which mitigated by technological progress.

I think they might have so-called "pollution" in 1W. But shouldn't have angry eco-activist that forbid you to do certain thing.

I think they might have so-called "pollution" in 1W. But shouldn't have angry eco-activist that forbid you to do certain thing.

Your eco-activists will be happy enough if you have locally-produced truffles, grain and fish though.

Come to think of it, American and British civs should probably get extra unhappiness if you harvest whales or horses for the lasagna though.

Hey, any thoughts on buildings?

G&K buildings utilized a couple new gameplay elements. Like temples and religious buildings producing faith. Or constabularies and police stations which limit spying.

"One World" buildings would seem to promote your influence spread over other civilizations. Obviously a Portuguese feitoria would replace the harbor a seaport, but what else could this or other buildings give which connects with the game's theme?

Maybe something which gives better discounts on traded items, diplomatic boosts with city-states, colonies integrating into your empire faster, etc.

New building boosting your City-State influence could be a good one. There was a Compilation topic for new additions (Buildings, Techs, Units, Terrain etc.) a long time ago. There was some good suggestions. I especially liked likes of Zoo, National Park, Oceanographic Institute and Ski Lodge. :)

So the great date of announcement? I'm guessing now it will be either Thursday 14th or 21st of this month.

Where did that dam and canal artwork come from!?
Is it extracted from in-game content or something?

I'm interested how Panam Canal would actually work. I mean, unlike other wonders we have, this is a wonder that a civ built on someone else's turf. Maybe it flips a city-state over to your empire, like a one-shot Austria power.

I'm interested how Panam Canal would actually work. I mean, unlike other wonders we have, this is a wonder that a civ built on someone else's turf. Maybe it flips a city-state over to your empire, like a one-shot Austria power.

Yeah, I was just wondering how a Great Canal might work. If they actually wanted it to function as a canal, would they want the player to select its course, or would it automatically decide what two bodies of water to connect and how to do it?

Or would it simply be a economic style wonder without the canal functionality? I almost think they were going to give it the Machu Pichu benefits, but changed their mind. I could also see it getting something like the Carthage UA as a benefit, free harbors for all coastal cities.

Maybe it could offer a unique ability to all naval units that the player built it - If a naval unit is in one of the player's cities, it is able to disappear from that city and reappear in any other coastal city the player owns.

Maybe give it a cost of gold or a cooldown, to stop ships literally going around the world in one turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom