Deity Challenge 20 - China -Pangea - (Hard)

Old Peter

Prince
Time for China.

China UU: The CHU-KO-NU.

China UB: PAPER MAKER. (+3 gold compared to the library..)

China UA: Super generals.

After all those easy latest challenges I hope this map will be harder. Maybe we all complete it in the first try, but I really hope not. My goal is that this challenge will take a couple of tries and not be steamrolled without thinking.

* Large pangea map, but high water. Makes it just a little bigger than a standard map.

* Only five city states.

* Check victory conditions. No diplomacy (lame?) and no science (a bit too common?).

* Some of the opponents play in team. I have tried the map for 30 turns, and it seems like the big team has weaker members and the 2-pack is stronger.

Good luck!!!

Starting location and file:

Attachments

• Wu Zetian_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    561 KB · Views: 112
  • Civ5Screen0034.jpg
    Civ5Screen0034.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 701
Can any map be hard with China? Even with cooked settings this might be a cakewalk...

started the game and i guess i was REALLY lucky

Spoiler :
founded my 2nd city on the river hill with the copper
then alex and cathy dow'ed me at turn 50 and 51(alrdy had 5 archers build but would not have been enough
but then my luck came into play and Cathy DoW'ed Alex as well on Turn 52 and they crushed each others army in front of my 2nd city with my help ;)
i hit CB tech turn 58 and after upgrading 6 archers to CBs and clearing the last troops of cathy and alexander i went aggressive against alex
i took his city without losses and got a good peace deal with him (169g + 3gpt)
then i switched my attention to Cathy, who fed some units into my CBs. With only 2 CBs defending St. Petersburg i was able to conquer it Turn 74 and getting again a decent peacedeal (22g, 7gpt, Furs)

So without the DoW between Cathy and Alex i would have been doomed, and i guess thats what happened to the rest who tried it yet.
I will try to get something done now but i dont know what to get next :D

Situation right now

Spoiler :

started the game and i guess i was REALLY lucky

Spoiler :
founded my 2nd city on the river hill with the copper
then alex and cathy dow'ed me at turn 50 and 51(alrdy had 5 archers build but would not have been enough
but then my luck came into play and Cathy DoW'ed Alex as well on Turn 52 and they crushed each others army in front of my 2nd city with my help ;)
i hit CB tech turn 58 and after upgrading 6 archers to CBs and clearing the last troops of cathy and alexander i went aggressive against alex
i took his city without losses and got a good peace deal with him (169g + 3gpt)
then i switched my attention to Cathy, who fed some units into my CBs. With only 2 CBs defending St. Petersburg i was able to conquer it Turn 74 and getting again a decent peacedeal (22g, 7gpt, Furs)

So without the DoW between Cathy and Alex i would have been doomed, and i guess thats what happened to the rest who tried it yet.
I will try to get something done now but i dont know what to get next :D

Situation right now

Spoiler :

Great job mate :).

In your game India seems strong. The game I had, the two pack were both score leaders. :)

I will give it a try soon again :)

Spoiler :
Well i tried to get India Cap but Brussels had like 20 Units and killed some CBs from the side and i forgot that St. Petersburg only had 9 Def so i lost it in 2 turns to russia, i need to split my army better and prepare a few more turns before trying to take Indias cap, or rewind to the NC finish (Turn 84) and go for Russias capital first (maybe easier).
But its a tough challenge and i doubt i will get anyway near a victory without some reloads (not because of bad fighting / focussing of the AI but because of decisionmaking (3 capitals to choose from, which way in tech (education of cho-ku-nuhs) etc)

Well well, normally I don't like playing against AI teams because A)They don't understand how teams work and B)It can make the game into a total slog...but with my favorite civ I may be forced to give it a shot :)

Interesting game Old Peter! Ladt time someone played deity AI teamed games is from the vanilla version. I'm gessing that almost killing a member from a team will grantly give our chance to win the game.

I might try this one later.

Spoiler :
My God this one is difficult. Basically heres my sequence of events:

Turn 34: Russia and company DoWs me. Was a complete b!tch to defend.

Turn 43: Greece DoWs me. Holy $&%@! Im going to die!

Turn Something: I somehow not die. Do not ask me how. Like you need to be an owl in a graduation cap to figure out how I did not die to this. Get peace with Greece who proceeds to go ape sh!t on Ghandi.

Turn Something After That: Do the usual CB poke and take down/ annex St Petersburg.

Turn Even Something After That Last Something: Get ready to kill Moscow. Just kidding Moscow is like impossible to kill. Ghandi dies to Alexander. I lose like every CB to Catherines mass Pikeman spam (mustve got funded from teammates). Reload.

Turn Even Something After That Last Something v2: Manage to get a Citadal up and surround Moscow. If the Pikeman want to fight me they have to embark through a lake, go through Moscow, or take 50 turns trying to navigate over the mass amount of hills.

Turn 99: Manage to take Moscow and immediately get peace. Didnt manage to get any gold from the treaty but theres no way I can get to Novograd, and I need to prepare to stomp the runaway Alexander.

This one is so annoying though. Like everything that could slightly be of annoyance is doing so. Nobody Im at peace with has gold so I cant sell my Salt. I managed to lose my Scout to 2 Barbarians + Alexander Calvary. Theres no CS to wtfsave me from random DoWs. I did manage to DoF Darius so thats a start. Anyway going to take a break. Deciding if I want to head Education or rush Machinery to see if I can put a dent in Alexander. Fun but difficult DC so far!

Attachments

• CivilizationV_DX11 2013-05-22 10-29-22-32.jpg
    CivilizationV_DX11 2013-05-22 10-29-22-32.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 292
  • CivilizationV_DX11 2013-05-22 11-23-35-25.jpg
    CivilizationV_DX11 2013-05-22 11-23-35-25.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 278
  • CivilizationV_DX11 2013-05-22 12-07-29-35.jpg
    CivilizationV_DX11 2013-05-22 12-07-29-35.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 300
Spoiler :
My God this one is difficult. Basically heres my sequence of events:

Turn 34: Russia and company DoWs me. Was a complete b!tch to defend.

Turn 43: Greece DoWs me. Holy $&%@! Im going to die!

Turn Something: I somehow not die. Do not ask me how. Like you need to be an owl in a graduation cap to figure out how I did not die to this. Get peace with Greece who proceeds to go ape sh!t on Ghandi.

Turn Something After That: Do the usual CB poke and take down/ annex St Petersburg.

Turn Even Something After That Last Something: Get ready to kill Moscow. Just kidding Moscow is like impossible to kill. Ghandi dies to Alexander. I lose like every CB to Catherines mass Pikeman spam (mustve got funded from teammates). Reload.

Turn Even Something After That Last Something v2: Manage to get a Citadal up and surround Moscow. If the Pikeman want to fight me they have to embark through a lake, go through Moscow, or take 50 turns trying to navigate over the mass amount of hills.

Turn 99: Manage to take Moscow and immediately get peace. Didnt manage to get any gold from the treaty but theres no way I can get to Novograd, and I need to prepare to stomp the runaway Alexander.

This one is so annoying though. Like everything that could slightly be of annoyance is doing so. Nobody Im at peace with has gold so I cant sell my Salt. I managed to lose my Scout to 2 Barbarians + Alexander Calvary. Theres no CS to wtfsave me from random DoWs. I did manage to DoF Darius so thats a start. Anyway going to take a break. Deciding if I want to head Education or rush Machinery to see if I can put a dent in Alexander. Fun but difficult DC so far!

Good job mate! Alex seems REALLY strong in your game :)

Good job mate! Alex seems REALLY strong in your game :)

I am not sleeping again until I beat this map. If I pass out from exhaustion, go blind from staring at my computer screen for 30+ hours, or just overall become a terrible, terrible human being because of this, its on you.

Spoiler :
This is so stupidly difficult for me but its one of those where its definitely doable. I got freakin DoW'd by Rome and the Iroquois by turn 115. St Petersburg has a solid 11 defense. Im no scientist but I dont think an 11 defense city does that well against mass Trebuchets. Anyway I somehow defended it while having to use a reload. Alexander is wrecking Bismark now so I need to use this opportunity to take at least 2 of Alexanders cities before turtling to Cannons. Im almost positive this will work if I dont die in the mean time. What doesnt help is Ive never had a Domination Victory on Deity before. Granted Ive never tried and Im confident if this map wasnt the equivalent of trying to solve world hunger Id be able to achieve one.

I usually hate AIs in teams games. I gave this one a hit regardless because the few people who gave it a shot already made it look interesting. My game is going great at the moment and I'm finding myself to enjoy it significantly more than I expected

Spoiler :
Well with croocked team settings and VCs paired with pretty CKNs, a CB rush was a no brainer.

I allowed myself a turn 0-15 reply not for goodie hut purposes but to setup a worker steal without losing my warrior as my entire strategy in terms of expansion/SP/tech.

I traded 2gpt for his 34g and DoWed Alex to steal my first worker around turn 10 or 11. Pulled my warrior back 2 tiles to heal from city damage.

4 turns later I stole one more

about 10 turns after that I stole again one and one more 4 turns later. That with a barb camp with a Catherine-stolen worker and I had 5 workers up by turn 30 with my rush-purchased settler from Salt sales.

I settled atop the copper for happiness as someone else above.

I never accepted peace treaties. I wanted to rape Alex with CBs first to avoid taking too hard a diplo hit by doing 2 DoWs within the forgiveness period.

Sadly, Alex expanded towards me. He settled cities #3-4 between Ghandi and I right as I was teching CBs (around turn 60, I did a detour because I thought I could build NC before doing the rush). I repelled his 3 cavs 4 hoplites 1 archer 1 warrior with my 6 CBs in 2 turns and went and grabbed flatland size 1 Corinth. Healed up and went for Argos which I took about 6-7 turns later. I used a GG to claim a mountain between Athens/Sparta/Argos to clean his last few units without losing any CBs. Most of them had cover 1 and few were getting cover 2. I proceeded with taking Sparta and Athens.

Turn 87 - Alex is eliminated from the map. I can't wait to see how AIs react to it. I am DoFed with Ghandi and France (team 8) but nobody else.

I have 1500g from pillaging and -6 happiness but getting Athens just made me fill a quest with marakech which I am already at 55/60 so I should get back to +2 happiness next turn.

My SP plan was very aggressive. It is probably the first time since I picked up GnK 3-4 months ago that I went with Honor.

Sometime between turns 35-50, I hard built Stonehenge in Beijing because it was still available and while Honor is ok for happiness, I was hoping to catch a decent pantheon/religion. It appears most Team members quit working towards a religion once one of its members has founded one. Or at least so it felt, it took forever for Ghandi to get his religion out after Catherine had hers very early.

Stonehence was useful even if I eventually don't catch a religion. It gave me Messenger of the Gods free of upkeep and engineer GP generation.

I also took a sidestep and hard built Oracle in capital at about the lineup time when I was to reach 4/5 honor. This filled my tree and encourages me significantly more to keep on hardcore warmongering.

I am 12 turns from Machinery. No ongoing War as I just wiped Alex. Ghandi is extremely temping, quite weak and has a few solid wonders. I think, however, I will wait on CKNs so I can smoothly defend the NE end from Catherine.

Athens has GL. Catherine has GW so I will probably save her among the last AIs I aim for. Likely with a +1 movement upgraded mounted unit and Artillery late in the game.

There doesn't appear to be any crazy runaways. There are still AIs I haven't met however. Catherine is tech lead so that's somewhat scary. Especially since she backstabbed me 30 turns ago and denounced roughly 10 turns after she asked me for DoF. I really didn't get it.

I'm back to the game, I hope to get some CKN war tonight before I hit the Sack. I'll provide turn-slice SSs of turns 1-100 ish tomorrow night.

Additionnal info on my great status on turn 87
Spoiler :
Beijing is working on HG wtf how is it still available? Teams really eff AIs up sometimes.

I have 11 CBs, 6 of them with cover 2, 3 with cover 1. The remaining 2 will be my NE defense against Catherine shorlty
1 warrior with cover 2
1 spearmen with cover 1
1 horsemen

I am #1 on LAND! I'm hoping messenger of the gods with these already 6 cities will help me catch up or at least keep up with Catherine and the pack. I don't expect any RA or many friendship after I hit CKNs. I am DoFed with 2 of the AIs on the only team I can see myself DoW

I wonder if DoWing Catherine will set me as backstabber for Ghandi and Napoleon due to team mechanics. We'll see in 10-15 turns!

T89 Bismark denounces

T91 I lost HG to Ghandi - great so I'll get it anyway very shortly!

T95 Catherine is DoWing me so I get no diplo penalty for the upcoming war. However, I am 3 turns from CKNs and she has a huge f army. I will probably lose and have to take back Shanghai. Hopefully I can do so without losing too many upgraded CBs

This also fixed happiness issue as I got all my luxuries back. +13 atm. Bismark is marching towards Athens but the mountains/hills are such a joke I should have NP defending it with 1-2 CKNs. If anything it will just be a great occasion for super insane units +1 range lol

T103
Spoiler :
I lost Shanghai to Catherine opener but got it back. I lost 3 experienced CBs though :(. Catherine forces are mostly dead. Germany did a long loop around through Ghandi's land so he might prove to be more annoying than expected. Not really problematic regardless he's mostly with warriors/horsemens/catapults but I will still need to move 1-2 more CKNs there.

I also just got my great prophet, founding 4rth religion. CB was taken, I went with CP for founder. Pagodas were available, I went for it. I don't know when I'll have the time to increase my FPT beyond 5 from Stonehenge though.

WTF great wall is TEAM WIDE

T115
Spoiler :
Took Delhi, lost a CKN because of Catherine's GW...that really blows. City has pyramids and ToA as well as a university even though I am still 15 turns or so from teching education. I had to detour for CKNs and Knights

T150
Spoiler :
I finally took Moscow. It took me 20 turns after taking st. Petersburg I relied on a few range3 CKNs and yet again a clutch GG settle to claim room to push in and heal faster. I settled for peace for ivory and 22g...I thought I had clicked gpt :(. My science is still quite low but I already have the biggest score on the map. Now I only have an ongoing war with Augustus/Hiawatha. Quite a relief after spending 30 turns at war with everyone I had discovered. I got to meet Persia. Still missing one unteamed civ. "Runaways" if they can even be called such, would be augustus/napoleon/bismark in that order but it's really not so clear. In fact, I should be able to do enough harm to Augustus before my CKNs wear out to his cavs/rifles. He only has muskets and LSs atm.

Game is still going great but I am in dire need of some infrastructure and growth. Most non capital cities are size 4-5. No way I will hard built public schools in such small cities working 2 scientist slots...

3 civs down, 6 to go.
More to come tomorrow!

Spoiler :

China with 3 salt, rivers, marble, wheat. Good expo spots available.

All I needed to do is settle good spots, don't get into wars before I get enough CBs, tech to CKNs. I didn't even steal any workers to make sure that I won't get into wars and to avoid using any "exploits".

I used my favorite quick speed deity strategy - liberty fast settler tech with early pyramid. after pyramid hard built 3 settlers and 5 cities are up at t62 (screenshot #1).

After monument-granary, paper maker/archers at expos. When I got enough archers, I upgraded them to CBs. Other civs were busy warring and I of course bribed them to do it more.

When I got 10 CBs lined up, Alex already got several cities from 4-pack team. I was thinking about waiting for CKNs, but I thought I needed to stack XPs and reduce his army size before he decides to attack me. I DoWed him at t80 and just killed his incoming units - 2,3 per turn. I used liberty GE for NC and got 13 CKN around t100.

Alex already spent lots of units and the remaining procedure was mere steamrolling. Took 4 cities including Athens by t120 and he gave me all cities. I sold them to huns and he burnt them down. I DoWed 4 pack and took Russia cap with GW at t128. Most of CKNs got lv3 upgrade and 2 got range upgrade.

Found last religion at t126 with Sophia GP. DF-tithe-ascetism. SP: liberty left line, liberty finish and commerse right side. Got mercantilism and about 15 turns to go till +2 happy per lux one.

I don't see any point playing further - it's over already.

Attachments

• 2013-05-22_00001.jpg
    2013-05-22_00001.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 2013-05-22_00002.jpg
    2013-05-22_00002.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 273
  • 2013-05-22_00005.jpg
    2013-05-22_00005.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 338
Spoiler :

China with 3 salt, rivers, marble, wheat. Good expo spots available.

All I needed to do is settle good spots, don't get into wars before I get enough CBs, tech to CKNs. I didn't even steal any workers to make sure that I won't get into wars and to avoid using any "exploits".

I used my favorite quick speed deity strategy - liberty fast settler tech with early pyramid. after pyramid hard built 3 settlers and 5 cities are up at t62 (screenshot #1).

After monument-granary, paper maker/archers at expos. When I got enough archers, I upgraded them to CBs. Other civs were busy warring and I of course bribed them to do it more.

When I got 10 CBs lined up, Alex already got several cities from 4-pack team. I was thinking about waiting for CKNs, but I thought I needed to stack XPs and reduce his army size before he decides to attack me. I DoWed him at t80 and just killed his incoming units - 2,3 per turn. I used liberty GE for NC and got 13 CKN around t100.

Alex already spent lots of units and the remaining procedure was mere steamrolling. Took 4 cities including Athens by t120 and he gave me all cities. I sold them to huns and he burnt them down. I DoWed 4 pack and took Russia cap with GW at t128. Most of CKNs got lv3 upgrade and 2 got range upgrade.

Found last religion at t126 with Sophia GP. DF-tithe-ascetism. SP: liberty left line, liberty finish and commerse right side. Got mercantilism and about 15 turns to go till +2 happy per lux one.

I don't see any point playing further - it's over already.
Very impressive again!
Spoiler :
GE to finish NC is brilliant! A good strategy after REX.

What's your early capital tech order and build order, when did you start Pyramids? Thank you for sharing!:) I assume you go free settler before the free worker?

Playing this one aswell.

-I found Russia bordering me very quickly, so I decided to go tradition 2 city into NC, added 3rd city later.
-Alex wanted to team up against 4-pack, so I took as much gold as possible, before attacking.
-I took ST Petersburg, but lost it next turn, then Alex backstabb me, so i accepted peace from Russia, and fend off Alex.
-After some time 4-pack DOW me again.
-Now i'm at turn 101, just hit Chu Ko Nu's, and have 12 CB to upgrade... time for payback! :)

I'm doing this as my Yoruus vs AI series, so if you like to watch here's the link, they should finish uploading shortly:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgYopQWwsyjGPhxay1JTvdRQi5zgYhNYe

Best Wishes,
Y.

@glory7
Spoiler :
not having a war with either Russia or Greece is incredibly lucky i guess with these expansion plans :D
In my game greece slapped a city in my face around your Ghanzhou on turn 10.^^

and i would not say its totally over because it a large map and the 2 stack like to run away a bit but you position is surely very strong

Top Bottom