The Venetian Great Galleass may melee and range attack

Great Galleass is intended to do both roles, thats why it has no "Cannot melee attack" negative promotion. This referred in one of Maddjinn's videos.

Interesting. It's still a bug, however, because it lists the melee attack as a Ranged Attack. Also, what is the use of only being able to melee ships and not cities? Is there any advantage of melee attacking ships instead of ranged attacking them?

I guess they still can only chose ranged unit promotions? You sure you can't melee a city? That would be the only case where it actually makes sense (after it was teared down by ranged attacks). Right-clicking/moving probably means melee and ranged attacks are only possible if the ranged icon/hotkey is used?

Well it at least can't attack City-States. I haven't tried attacking major players. I also doubt it can get Naval Melee promotions too. It's still listed as a Naval Ranged Unit, so I doubt it can receive Prize Ships (unless I'm mistaken and ranged units can receive Prize Ships). That would also be an advantage to melee.

Interesting. It's still a bug, however, because it lists the melee attack as a Ranged Attack. Also, what is the use of only being able to melee ships and not cities? Is there any advantage of melee attacking ships instead of ranged attacking them?
Sometimes it's helpful to end up in the location of the previous target.

You can attack cities, but only if you attack from a range greater than their ranged attack. So without promotions you have to issue an attack order from three tiles away to take a city.

I strongly believe it's a bug.

They simply forgot to assign PROMOTION_ONLY_DEFENSIVE to this unit.

Atheen said:
Great Galleass is intended to do both roles, thats why it has no "Cannot melee attack" negative promotion. This referred in one of Maddjinn's videos.

That explanation doesn't really support the claim that it's intentional. One player says the restriction is missing. Another player says it's intentional because "the restriction is missing". :D (NOW, if all ranged units were hard-coded to not melee, and it took a promotion or something to allow the unit to melee, then that could be seen as intentional design.)

Plus...

1. Firaxis wouldn't intentionally support awkward gameplay such as this. Less savvy players would frequently range attack by mistake when right-clicking on targets, probably even veteran players as well, in much frustration. And requiring attack orders outside of firing range (having to back-up just to melee) is also silly game design that Firaxis wouldn't favor either. (In early vanilla, back when the game was in a very rough state to meet the release deadline, ranged units could melee attack. I forget, but I think if you held Ctrl while giving the attack order the unit would engage in melee. But, these mechanics were all cleaned-up and the restriction was put in place.)

2. This perk would've been stated in the unit's description. Similar to how other unique units state so when their "No Defensive Terrain Bonuses" is removed or when their "Penalty Attacking Cities" is reduced or removed.

Top Bottom