Stairway to Heaven #2: Pacal II of the Maya

Yes, pure stupidity on my part. :eek:

I have to say this map is kinda rofl...

i can see one way how to do it with map foreknowledge, but no way you would guess it

Spoiler :

just for lulz monty dowed cathy at 2k BC

the horses 3rd ring is the only good option I see here, but that would mean either settle capital south right away or very very quick city 2, but even that would be late since city 3 of cathy basically goes for the horses, city 4 from russia claimed the horses too...

@vranasm
Spoiler :
just for lulz monty dowed cathy at 2k BC
Monty being Monty. :) In my game he also went WHEOOHRN 2,5k BC, on Cathy I presume. There is one thing I really like when playing Deity - AIs can really inflict some damage on each other. Cities get taken, heads roll, civs are killed in the BCs etc. On immortal maybe one city is taken and then they make peace, which is pretty lame.

actually I think someone should post this map to Absolutezero I know he loves playing financial civs and I think this one would make very good educational video series...

Don't get discouraged, pomthom! Just keep the logical course. You have a good capitol and decent land around you. And you are financial. You'll find a way out of any bad spot.

Ah! This is very funny!

2240 BC:

Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Good joke, Monty! I like it! Wanna be my friend, now?

What a crew... Super AIs and bloody AIs altogether. Culture pressure may get ugly. Early DoWs are very conceivable. A hard map?

Went Agri, Bronze, AH, Priesthood.
Worker, settler at size 3 (1 chop), worker ar size 4 (1 chop). Got 3 Warriors.
Settler at size 2 could have settled a southern spot... and I think that would be worse than settling west. A considerable amount of cities can be settled if one bloxks the west and saves the coastline for later. GLH would be good, too, but a prime way to box one in, so it's no good.
Not too sure about that (city 2 down south or west), since south are horses. If one can hold the tile and rush... that can't be bad.

Got lucky (wise! no, lucky! or wise?) and delayed a chop so I didn't lose any hammers in the Oracle (city was growing to size 5 without garrison, so I waited for a warrior to complete). At least, now I won't have any trouble getting an Academy. the Oracle: the bane of the Academy.

Now, Priesthood is a pre-req to Code of Laws and... with a little bit of help from my friends, I'll found the religion of Confusionism. Maybe I'll get through Alpha/Maths and Currency first to maximize the discounts... but then chances are low to get our own codex.
I'm looking for a strategic resource at the moment. War techs seem urgent. I'm not sure what counts. Wits, maybe?

@RagingHordes:
Spoiler :
Yes, the land is prime quality (at least the capital) and it should be possible to power up some research.
Cannons are a possible target but Draft Rifles can also be very valid. Especially if this is a no-resource scenario. Iron is quite likely, still.

Tougher part with these kinds of long-term plans is not getting the research itself but staying alive. Diplo is explosive.

2000 BC re-visited
Spoiler :

Annoyed by the stupid city placement -mistake I made, decided to try it again. :mischief:

Position appears very powerful to me. It's only T50 and besides the Oracle we have 3 cities (well 4 next turn) and have secured good, cottageable land. Room for two good cities more in the backyard. Domestic trade routes next turn and foreign trade soon afterwards will improve bpt. Cottages will improve bpt, too. :) Decided to skip the dip to caste (not loving to spend 2 turns of anarchy) and get a library in cap asap. Sure, GS is going to be far from 100%, so an auxiliary city needs to start running scientists too.

Not very lucky with the religion spread. Was hoping to infect Genghis, but too late. It's a good map to practice diplo-game. :)

Update to 1320 BC:
Spoiler :

Got a GS at 50-50 odds 1320 BC. Getting a GS at 100% 15 turns earlier would be worth the sacrificed development I think. :rolleyes: So perhaps 2nd city to the sugar is a mistake... Best would be a spot where it can borrow the corn (like my Chicken Itza now), grow it to size 4 and dip to caste. Seems like a strong play despite the slight ******iation of capital and the 2 turn anarchy.

Where I stand now - they don't have alpha, is self-researching it ever a decent option? Aesth is the normal choice even without marble I presume. Cathy is finally sending me missionaries so diplo should soon be as safe as it can get on this map. Infected Shakatown with herecy.

Sorry for spamming your thread, pomthom. :mischief:

Attachments

• Pomthom #2 Sampsa BC-2000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    95.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Pomthom #2 Sampsa BC-1320.CivBeyondSwordSave
    122 KB · Views: 69
Sorry for spamming your thread, pomthom. :mischief:
No problem, man. Haven't looked at your posts yet because I want to be a bit further down the road before opening those spoilers.

Played 23 turns: from 3560 BC to 2640 BC (turn 34)

As forseen, by not settling on the Pigs my start is slow...

First of all I decided to pass on the Oracle. Early expansion is going to be rough, I need to be able to work proper improvements and build proper infra.

I decide to go AH before BW because I want to grow quickly to size 4 and pump out settlers (slow build the 1st ~9turns, chop the 2nd [with OF in Worker], then grow to size 6 and whip the 3rd [with OF in Worker]).

I'm not going to settle them as soon as they're out, but place them where I want to grab some land so that I can insta-settle if I see AI housewarming parties going to the spot.

With such invasive creative neighbours, I really think grabbing land will be key to possible success (even if it means suffering economically at the start of the game). What do you think?

Back to the action
:

Spoiler :
3560 BC (turn 11):​
Agri > AH
Exploration with Warrior continues.
3360 BC (turn 16):​
Mutal: Worker > Warrior
Worker immediately starts working on Corn.
3160 BC (turn 21):​
Worker finished Corn, AH is 3 turns away and growth to size 2 is in 1 turn.

My timing isn't right. I need to keep my Worker busy but I want to start improving the Pigs as soon as I reach AH. However the Gold is 2 turns away from my Worker... IIRC I decided to bite the bullet and put 1 turn of irrigation on the FP...
3120 BC to 2880 BC (turnr 22 to 28):​
AH > BW
I meet Montezuma :)run:) as well as this very nice b*tch:

2840 BC (turn 29):​
Mutal: Warrior > Settler (due in 9, once Gold is improved we'll win 1 turn)

The map is crowded :eek::

2640 BC (turn 34):​
BW is in (I don't revolt just yet) and the Gold is improved.
The Settler is due in 3 turns.

So here's our situation:
Spoiler :
Land:​

Culture:​

Units:​

Diplo:​

Religion:​

Cathy and Sury are in my face, here's a first sketch of where I'd eventually put some cities you may need to zoom to read properly):

The Horse spot is very poor but Horses might turn out to be my 1 saving grace... I'm even pondering settling on the Horses for a faster start!

No idea in which order I should settle the cities because I'm afraid I'm going to lose land. What I think I'll do is send my 2 first settlers on the Horse and Banana spots but settle only if the spots are threatened... Then settle West for my second city. Seems really weak...

Also I'm pondering between Hunting and the Wheel. I'd like to build Holkans after my first Settlers for Barb + contingency defense but I don't really need them now.

Mesdames et Messieurs, what do you think?

Attachments

• Deity pomthom #2 BC-2640.CivBeyondSwordSave
    75.7 KB · Views: 37
No problem, man. Haven't looked at your posts yet because I want to be a bit further down the road before opening those spoilers.
OK. I won't post another update before you have caught up anyway. :) My game is less important as I'm playing the map for the 2nd time now.

I really like 2nd city 3S of capital to share the corn. The main benefit of your settling is that you can share food (because you didn't settle on it :lol:). Be quick with those settlers and careful that you get the spots you want. Use your scouting warriors to see their settler-parties in time.

It's so crowded that you definitely won't need Holkans vs barbs. Fogbust N and NE to avoid unnecessary embarrassment.

Forgoing the Oracle: Fair enough!
AH before BW: prolly a good move.
I think, however, you should have aimed to improve the gold first and start on the settler at size 3. You'd have lost a little production, gained a little commerce and gotten a slightly earlier city 2 (I think, yes?). Not really sure how it balances out.

@ Your initial scouting: you went too far away west.
Now. The good point is that we can see there's actually quite a bit of land in the west, whereas we spawned in the NE corner.

You're right that it'll be difficult to secure room to expand into.
2 Creative neighbours to the south is no joke. They aren't particularly peaceful, on top of that.

@ City sites:
- The east will block land along the northern coast. That's good but maybe a premature settlement. I dislike the idea of settling on the bananas, since it's a really good tile, once improved. The area isn't scouted completely, yet, so no trouble. You should remove that ALT+X fat cross for now, until you know exactly how the land is laid out.
- The south gets you a strategic resource (good), a city sandwiched between 2 creative AIs (bad), with no possibility of culture support from another city (bad), longer shared borders (bad = land target), and it may quicken the pace at which Sury expands NE (bad) and Cathy plain north (bad).
*whistling* That ain't just good. 2nd city by the horses forces you into a rush. At the latest, with horse archers. And that option could be strong. Rushing is a prime way to stabilize an unstable board. Capturing neighbouring cities also offsets most of the "bad" points mentionned above. Go, go HBR if you settle there (Chariots = gutsy!). Maybe even skipping Writing, and maybe investing in Pottery for FIN goodness.
If looking at the exact spot, I'd advise to make the most of the requirement to separate cities by 3 tiles, so that neither Cathy nor Sury can further settle the area. 1S of the horses looks like the best long-term location to me (gets sugar). The hill, 1SW of the horses is also very good and a defensive spot (good x2).
- West blocks the most land. If you want a peaceful early game, that's where I'd put my 2nd. Hoping for a peaceful early game might be naive, however.
If the aim is to block as much land as possible, then I wouldn't settle 3 tiles away but rather 4, or even 5. The plains hills north of Cathy's city is appealing but the "culture threat" will be great. Both plains between the flood plains are alright. Start with a Monument is compulsory (imo) for such a city. Monument first is compulsory for horses city too, by the way :mischief:

Sooo... Active action vs peaceful prayers... Make your choice?
The Wheel, Pottery, HBR looks good to me.

Won't be easy, best of luck!

ps: If you decide to settle by the horses,
I'd strongly suggest to (re-)read Vicawoo's excellent Horse archer rush guide before executing anything.

You'll probably want to settle 2 more cities asap to increase your military production. 1 west & 1 east could be fitting: block the coastline! Capturing cities is strong but backfilling is stronger (cheaper).

4 cities and a workforce of 4-6 dudes could make it happen.
Settle more and you should get Writing before HBR (to offset higher maintenance). The 5th city could (should?) be timed with the discovery of HBR. Maybe use it to complete the western block.

To get there:
Cottages, cottages, cottages.

- Forgoing the Oracle: Fair enough!
- AH before BW: prolly a good move.
- @ Your initial scouting: you went too far away west.
- 2 Creative neighbours to the south is no joke. They aren't particularly peaceful, on top of that.
- The east will block land along the northern coast. That's good but maybe a premature settlement.
Agree with these.
- The south gets you a strategic resource (good), a city sandwiched between 2 creative AIs (bad), with no possibility of culture support from another city (bad), longer shared borders (bad = land target), and it may quicken the pace at which Sury expands NE (bad) and Cathy plain north (bad).*whistling* That ain't just good. 2nd city by the horses forces you into a rush. At the latest, with horse archers.
This is less clear to me. I see nothing wrong with the horse spot I mentioned (3S cap) and would not start with a monument there (cause unnecessary border tension, I happily allow them to steal mediocre tiles from my BFC). Sury expanding to the sugar/banana jungle is not the end of the world, is it? Is there anything special N of Cathy? I like to allow AIs expand to weak/slow spots. It's pretty hard NOT to become a land target of them eventually, right?
If looking at the exact spot, I'd advise to make the most of the requirement to separate cities by 3 tiles, so that neither Cathy nor Sury can further settle the area. 1S of the horses looks like the best long-term location to me (gets sugar). The hill, 1SW of the horses is also very good and a defensive spot (good x2).
Those spots are so slow that I wouldn't consider them. I accept the possibility that you know better. :)

This is less clear to me. I see nothing wrong with the horse spot I mentioned (3S cap) and would not start with a monument there (cause unnecessary border tension, I happily allow them to steal mediocre tiles from my BFC). Sury expanding to the sugar/banana jungle is not the end of the world, is it? Is there anything special N of Cathy? I like to allow AIs expand to weak/slow spots. It's pretty hard NOT to become a land target of them eventually, right?

Those spots are so slow that I wouldn't consider them. I accept the possibility that you know better. :)

Interesting.

@ settling 3S of capital.
This is a stronger city than the ones I suggest. Granted! Acess to corn is very good.
However, that leaves room for further AI cities:
- 3S or 3S1W of the spot; if Sury settles there, that's 2 cities pressuring our own.
- 3W or 3W1N or 3W1S of the spot, a location for Cathy to settle. If Cathy also gets the southern spot, that's 2 of her cities pressuring our own.
Reducing culture pressure is the reason why I suggest a lesser location: less opposing cities = less culture pressure. Also, opposing cities would be 4-5 tiles away instead of 3.
Monument aims at controling the tiles. One can't work the tiles he doesn't control.
Khmer and Russian cities will soon produce 5 culture/turn and will (likely) go beyond or get close to 10 culture/turn in the BCs. Having a 2 culture/turn monument asap is a high stake to me.
Border tensions will catch up with the player wherever he settles, indeed. But therefore: better prepare for it. Hence the hill city has my preference, despite having no food.

You're right the southern spots (hill and 1S of horses) would be slow to develop. However, they would access the horse tile, which is a strong tile (strong enough to get Monument and Granary). So they're not pure junk cities.
Finally, less AI cities = less cities to capture.

I think it's worth it to sacrifice a little in development to get a better map position... but I may be wrong on that matter :)

Finally,
North of Cathy are fish tiles. Good with libraries.
Losing the sugar to Sury is, indeed, not a big deal, provided Sury is an early target. Otherwise Sugar, dyes & bananas are a formidable resource cluster.

Well yeah there is no way that city (3S of cap) can culturally fight vs creative AIs. Holding most 1st ring tiles would be ok. But the main function of the city is to:

- claim horses for good
- borrow corn to grow
- work 5(!) cottages for bureau cap

and it seems to do the job brilliantly. :)

So that would be my 2nd city and 3rd to the west, probably to a tile where it can borrow pigs.

I have very limited experience in HA rushing on Deity (well did it once vs Pacal, but it was a dogpile war), so really no idea how well that would work.

Indeed, cottage sharing is a strong argument. That vs holding more tiles.

However, sharing the corn and then sharing the pigs is just the same as settling a no-food city ;) Not so good, although growth can be monitored more easily that way.

It seems to me that Mutal can handle 2 food tiles and that sharing that food isn't of the utmost importance.

I may be wrong on that account. Not sure. This is somewhat hard to judge for me :) I'm thinking WAR when I advocate settling South of the horses. Maybe that sheds some light on my reasoning.

Both food resources can't be simultaneously given away (until cap is in max size), that is true. But it does add a LOT of flexibility.

Mutal can handle food, sure, but sharing it speeds up growth in auxiliary cities --> they will grow cottages sooner. And those cottages are given back to Mutal when Mutal wants them. Right?

Even if you want war, to me 3S of cap looks like the best spot to claim horsie.

Top Bottom