Capto Iugulum: 1920 - 1939

In regards to homosexuality, I fully would expect the current world to be a bit more homophobic than even our own one was at this time. I can't imagine that even liberals here would be ok with it, though they may be more likely to ignore it. If this is going to be a debate though, I'd prefer it take place on the background thread.

@Azale: There is nothing to be alarmed about, citizen. Move along. In seriousness, the only change that has been made is that there is no more stability stat, and the randomness has been removed from the process. No longer will revolts and revolution be determined by a throw of the dice.

I think the homosexuality was a reference to something J.K Stockholme wrote in some kind of thing about Occitan Humanism. I can see a force opposed to the ideology (such as the Catholic Church) picking up on that and using it as a propaganda point even if its not 100% accurate to their beliefs, or even not at all, because IC stuff doesn't necessarily have to be true.

Its like when I was calling everybody a crypto-proletarist during the SCW.

~An Alternative Liberalism~

by Dr. Richard Godfrey, Prof of Economic Doctrines at Cambridge University

Published in the Cambridge University Quarterly​

Spoiler :
Recently, the Papal Prof Francesco Monti wrote an essay criticizing liberalism on various counts. Normally such discussions are left to students of theology, philosophy and political science. However, the student of economics should not ignore these discussions (or at least not the student of economic doctrines), for liberalism lies at the core of the laissez-faire capitalist system that, while frequently in a bastardized form, drives Western economies. Thus students should understanding the assumptions in liberalism that justify capitalism, for it is fundamentally a liberal economic system. However, the liberalism that underpins capitalism and democracy has very little in common with the liberalism that Prof Monti describes; while still secular, it is in many ways the opposite of the Professor's description of liberalism, and I fear students could become very confused after reading his essay.

On the most fundamental point(which, in his defense, is a common thread in Papal comments on liberalism and not unique to Prof Monti) the Professor mischaracterizes liberalsim. Prof Monti says liberalism claims that man is, or can be, perfected. This is false; the liberalism that underpins capitalism and democracy assumes man is very flawed and can never be perfected. From this the rest of liberalism stems.

This can easily be proven by observing the end proscription of liberalism (that being democracy and capitalism) and seeing whether that is compatible with Prof Monti's assertion that liberalism assumes man is (or can be) perfect. First, consider democracy and laissez-faire capitalism versus their opposites: absolutism and centrally-planned economies. If man is perfect*, why are the former methods of social organization preferred by the liberal? Democracy, even in theory, is inefficient and does not immediately produce the best possible policies and actions by a government efficiently (if it ever does). Capitalism, likewise, depends on a process that promises only long-run equilibrium, not short-run equilibrium, and in the meantime the market behaves chaotically and in an uncoordinated manner and many individuals suffer microeconomic losses. Absolutism, in contrast to democracy, decides and implements policies very efficiently; the tyrant need only to issue a decree on whim, and it is law, forgoing the entire process of debate and checks on power. Centrally-planned economies, likewise, need only decide what good go where, the amount of a particular good need be produced, and so on, without the pain and disorder that capitalism brings in the process of reaching long-run equilibrium. If man were perfect, democracy and capitalism would be vastly inferior to absolutism and centrally-planned economies. The tyrant, being perfect, would always issue the right decree at the right time and it would always produce the perfect results, thus avoiding the painful process of searching, debating, and compromising to enact a law in the democratic system. Same for centrally-planned economies: the central planner, being perfect, would always decide the correct amount of a good to be produced and would know how exactly it is to be distributed, and capitalism would be inferior to central planning. Furthermore, the people capable of filling the role of tyrant or central planner could easily be found if man were (or could be) perfect; one need only pick anyone in the population, or the class of people who have attained perfection, and assign them to the role of tyrant or central planner. Thus there would be no justification for democracy and capitalism under the assumption that man is perfect.

Liberalism, however, assumes that man is imperfect. Adam Smith (who was a moral philosopher in training, though he is famous as the founder of modern economics) observed in the Theory of Moral Sentiments the imperfection of man very simply: one is far more troubled by the loss of his little finger than if the entire nation of China were to die, and this will always (and, in fact, should) be the case. Thus no individual could be perfect. Society, however, is more likely to reach the truth than any individual; tradition is the product of generations of decisions made by millions of individuals, and the norms that form traditions, through a Darwinian process, are selected out from all the alternatives to produce the "best fit" for that society. These traditions, in the long run, should approximate some sort of "truth", and thus are superior to the whim of any individual. Do note that tradition is not always the truth and is not always the best for society, of course; circumstances change, and the traditional solution may not always best serve the interests of society.

Contrary to what Prof Monti would claim, liberalism embraces tradition and the power of tradition is harnessed in liberal institutions. While tradition need not always be popular, there is likely a significant number of proponents for the answer to a problem prescribed by tradition when the issue comes to the fore, and these proponents have not only a voice, but power, in democratic institutions. Democracy doesn't kowtow to tradition; if the democratic government, which (at least in theory) represents the majority will of society does not feel that a particular traditional practice is best, it is within the power of the democratic body to change the tradition; and this is a good thing, for circumstances and people change. On the other hand, under absolutism, if the tyrant has no respect for tradition, there is no force to stop him. His anti-traditional decree will go unchallenged, and just like that the tradition is gone. Capitalism, on the surface, may appear to be anti-traditional, but innovative firms are generally matched against firms using traditional methods, and the innovative firm will succeed and oust its traditional competitors only if the innovative practices are superior to the traditional practices. The central planner, in comparison, need only declare a traditional method "obsolete" and the entire economy will transition to the new method of production, regardless of whether the new practice truly is superior.

From the assumption that people are, and always will be, imperfect, stems the rest of liberal doctrine, and (ironically) Christian metaphore describes why this is the case the best. For the reason of equality, consider Matthew 7:3: "Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?" Capitalism assumes the individual is the best judge of his situation as opposed to any second- or third-party. This does not say that the individual's evaluation of his situation is perfect, but only that he can better determine his situation than anyone else, and therefore he should be free to make his own decisions. Political freedom would follow a similar argument.

Prof Monti is correct in saying people are not all equal. Liberalism does not assert that every man is completely equal. Most discussions on equality center around whether a particular broad categorization of people is justified, and many liberals conclude that they are not. For example, on the relation between men and women, the sexes are clearly not equal anatomically, but can we say from this that men and women are not equal in other characteristics or abilities, or that one is necessarily better than the other? It is the case, for example, that women are clearly superior to men in handling infants, but does that make them intellectually inferior to men? I would say no. And sex, of course, is not the only categorization that can be challenged as a valid basis of judgement. These discussions, of course, should be important to the economist: for example, if Scots were banned from being educated in Britain, Adam Smith would not have had as such a profound impact on human history. Discrimination based on unjustified grounds will result in squandered potential, damaging the economic and social advancement of society.

In closing, I hope that this informal essay has helped to prevent misunderstanding that Prof Monti's essay would prompt. Prof Monti's critical assertion about liberalism, that it believes individuals are perfect, is entirely false. Ironically, the institutions that the Catholic Church embraces go much further to assume a perfectible individual than liberalism does. Obviously Christianity asserts humans are sinful creatures, and thus flawed; but a more apt description of the Catholic doctrine would be "All humans are imperfectible except for a few" (the Pope being one of this few). I also hope that the relationship between liberalism and laissez-faire capitalism has been clarified for the student of economics. I have not gone into depth regarding the Professor's discussion on what is to be worshipped, as this is of little interest to the economist or the political scientist (although I will note that there's little sense in the liberal worshipping something he acknowledges to be imperfect); in fact, this is entirely meaningless in a secular sense, and I will admit that liberalism is an entirely secular doctrine. Whether this makes liberalism incompatible with Catholicism, however, is not for me to decide.

* I acknowledge that Prof Monti claims liberalism say man could become perfect, but for sake of simplicity do not repeat this.

I think the homosexuality was a reference to something J.K Stockholme wrote in some kind of thing about Occitan Humanism. I can see a force opposed to the ideology (such as the Catholic Church) picking up on that and using it as a propaganda point even if its not 100% accurate to their beliefs, or even not at all, because IC stuff doesn't necessarily have to be true.

Immaculate wrote a book about it when he was playing Catalonia, as a Catalan humanist working from Aquitaine (as I recall), then the pope hated on it, then I defended it indirectly.

That book was also a defense of incest if I recall correctly, but once again, I'd suggest that discussion be held in the Background thread.

correct, that part was mainly a dig at Occitanian humanism. EDIT: oh and Circuit, the Pope is not necessarily 'one of these few". I was referring to those who are saints. I will address this amongst other things when I get around to replying :p

-

Response to the Essay of Dr Godfrey

~ Professor Francesco Monti, La Sapienza University, Rome

-​

The essay of Dr Godfrey, an economist by discipline, raises some interesting points, namely the supposed role of liberalism in characterising the laissez-faire economic order. However fundamentally his argument is that liberalism does not claim that man is perfectible (for I never said that it claims man is perfect, for indeed he is not) through the "progressive" clarification and crystallisation of a liberal system I (perhaps obviously) believe is a false one. I hope through this response to my British colleagues essay to repudiate some his erroneous claims.

To begin this essay we need to understand what is liberalism claims causes human imperfectability, how it proposes this perfectibility can be achieved. On the first point, the root causes of imperfection, Liberalism, denying the primal sin of humankind, proclaims that human imperfections (Liberals do not claim man is perfect, but that he can become perfect, here Adam Smith is correct when he says people are more concerned about their little fingers than the lives of people far away) are caused through the imperfections of social systems, life before civilisation and the establishment of human society to the liberal (said life being nasty, brutish and short) heralds an ever proceeding quest to "progress" through history through ever more perfect forms of society in the (ultimately futile) quest to establish an earthly utopia. Following this conception the root flaws of society become the root causes of social evils, with the solution being the onwards march of "progress", rejecting tradition, as society is radically transformed along liberal principle along its theoretical path of development (as envisaged by liberals), education, and disturbingly by overt state action imposed on the people. These efforts are observable in places where liberals have come to power such as Chile, where the government has implemented many reforms aimed at establishing a liberal political framework and seeks (against opposition) to remove religion from public life, and in Uruguay where the liberal regime (before its removal through legal means) went so far as to rig the vote in an effort to impose liberal social principles. These events also show that Dr Godfrey is simply incorrect when he says that liberals respect tradition, and indeed he says so himself since he clearly points out the reality that liberals see tradition as subordinated to "the popular will" or rather the liberal pursuit of process, rather than something that is inherently valuable and good in and of itself, and which is an organic part of societies natural development rather than something belonging to the government. Indeed he specifically acknowledges the ultimate tyrannical nature of liberalism, when he states that a government can simply dispense with tradition and remake the social order if it happens to disagree with it and be elected into power. Liberalism simply does not acknowledge that tradition is organic, produced from the society at large and which only gradually changes over time as its perceptions change (for indeed traditions, being created by men, are not always good) and rather sees them as "things" that can be arbitrarily changed by the state intruding into civil society and into the spheres that properly belong to the family and religion.

So what is meant by perfection by the liberal? Liberalism as I noted previously rejects the Christian God and thus does not pose recourse to the same spiritual understanding of perfection (as increasing holiness) that Christianity proposes. The liberal conception of "freedom" ultimately leads to moral relativism, and practically either sees the tacit acceptance of pre-existing norms, or a rapid descent into vice and license. This latter scenario is observable amongst the Occitanian humanists in Catalonia and Occitania, who have released literature supporting the abominations of incest and sodomy. Thus it is clear that perfection to the liberal (unlike the christian) is not spiritual or truly moral in nature, but rather exists in some other sphere. We can thus understand that the liberal understands perfectibility in the sense that it argues that man can live more "rationally, healthily, happily, comfortably". Perfection becomes re-defined in liberalism as physical, intellectual and social.

Considering this we can observe how Dr Godfrey confuses his understanding of liberal principles. For as a Christian man he understands perfectibility on Christian terms, as a moral and spiritual reality, where the liberal understands perfectibility in purely temporal ones. He points out rightly that democracy (and indeed any system of government) is inefficient as a consequence of humanities imperfections, and that democracy in particular fails to provide the best possible policies. But this does not contradict liberal principles since the liberal proposes not that these systems are absolute goods, but rather that they are secondary goods in service to "progress" in achieving a temporal improvement in the material state of man. Through democracy and capitalism (although the proletarists dissent) simply put, the liberal sees a way to bring about a more "rational, happy, healthy and comfortable" society, or rather a more liberal society, and thus it supports it. The utility of which democracy is used to advanced this liberal perfectibility is observable wherever liberalism is found through the establishment of welfare states, pensions, education, government subsidisation of research and other such statist interventions in civil life. These are not necessarily wrong in and of themselves, but together they point towards the leviathan of an all-encompassing tyranny, which I argued in my previous essay was the ultimate logical conclusion of liberalism.

To address Dr Godfreys statements on equality as understood by liberals, I must state that this has been addressed in the previous essay. Liberals as I noted do not see themselves as equal in the sense of each person being functionally equivalent (For that is self-evidently not the case), but rather in a moral and essential sense. From this I argued that principles of non-judgementalism and openness to the outsider proceeded, leading eventually to an idea of "equal freedom for all" synthesising liberal "freedom" and "equality" into a coherent whole, with this synthesis today being expressed quite clearly in Occitanian Humanism. Dr Godfrey as such makes a false argument, referring to a functional definition rather than the moral and essential one I identified as core principles of liberalism.

To bring this response to a conclusion I would like to finally address the metaphor of Matthew 7:3 and his understanding of certain Christian principles. Dr Godfrey supposes that this passage of sacred scripture supports the notion that the individual is the best just of his situation. But this is clearly false. Rather it is a spiritual teaching that man must remove the iniquity and error in himself, if he hopes to with a clear mind judge and correct his brothers as part of the mutual assistance to sanctification that is the duty of Christians to each other. It is a statement on mans imperfections yes, but reinforces the notion that men are bound to each other in relationships of duty and obligation, and in relations to God in terms of their own holiness. Liberalism and capitalism in some respects as well (for they are not synonymous). So too, and as I noted, Christianity and the Catholic Church asserts human perfectibility in spiritual terms, in terms of increasing holiness and conformity to the will of God. In this Christian perfection refers to the saints (not the Pope as Dr Godfrey states, history well attests to the reality of papal imperfections) . Finally with regards to liberalism and religion, liberalism IS NOT a totally secular doctrine that can be held side by side with Christianity. It purports to answer all the big questions and provide a way of life for its adherents to follow, with its tenets in this regard being opposed to Christianity (not just Catholicism) at its core. It denies the true God as he is understood in Christianity and its conceptions are a rejection of Christian modes of living. To this end one cannot say liberalism is not antithetical to Christianity, for indeed as it is written "a man can not serve two master", one must choose whether to follow the triune God, or the triune liberal idol of "liberty, equality, and fraternity" (which is neither liberty, equality or fraternity as understood in Christianity) where they conflict and offer two divergent paths.

OOC TO: ALL

EQ has asked me to pass on to you all that he is making good progress on the update, the only problem is he is having trouble accessing the forums, has been struggling with a virus corrupting save data and generally wrecking havoc on his computer system, and he has been sick with the flu, but is recovering.

OOC TO: ALL

EQ has asked me to pass on to you all that he is making good progress on the update, the only problem is he is having trouble accessing the forums, has been struggling with a virus corrupting save data and generally wrecking havoc on his computer system, and he has been sick with the flu, but is recovering.

So, a double virus dose? :D

....you actually think that's clever, don't you?

The Man of Pragmatism

A round of applause circled the Vinlandic Riksdag as Konrad Franzen, leader of the Konservativ Industripartiet, rose to speak.

"Good evening, my fellow riksdagsledamoter. We have endured a long and wearying evening, so I shall endeavour to keep my words brief.

Know this, my fellows. Since its foundation, ever has my party struggled to maintain the security and prosperity of the Vinlandic people. Since the demise of the ill-considered edifice known as 'PADA', we have pressed for a solution to the American situation, which every day threatens our place in the world. Up until very recently, it seemed to us that war was the only remaining option, the only feasible way to ensure a lasting resolution to this long-boiling conflict. The Presidency was uncooperative, the Statsminister inadequate in pressing the issue, and so the cross-border mobs were free retreat to commit crimes in Vinland, then retreat their American strongholds.

However, these proposed Chicago Accords present us with a new option. We are faced with the ability to, at long last, strike at the root of our grief in the Västermark, we are granted the opportunity to enforce our laws where the Americans have failed to enforce their own, and root out the criminals and vigilantes who threaten our people. Accompanying this is a pact of non-aggression, a binding document to reinforce the troubled relationship between our own Kingdom of Vinland and the United States of America.

Thus do these accords achieve our war aims, by rendering the our southern neighbour into a form which may no longer present a threat to the nation of Vinland. This is a great victory for our nation and her people, won not through years of mass bloodshed, but through diplomacy. By signing these accords, Vinland gains all which it had desired, and secures lasting peace on our border. There shall be no bloody disruption of trade and industry, and no battle-scarring of the countless cities, towns and settlements that lie so very close to the border. For peace, for the ongoing prosperity of Vinland, and for a final resolution to the problem of cross-border crime, I am placing my support, and the support of my party, behind the ratification of the Chicago Accords.

The Chicago Accords

Let it be stated that the undersigned agree in full to abide by the principles outlined in this agreement and, furthermore, to ascertain a competent level of functionality in carrying to fruition the compromises detailed thus.

Article I. The United States agrees to grant Vinlandic police forces and guardsmen extraterritoriality rights in pursuing criminals in Vinland's jurisdiction. Vinland agrees to abide by these privileges in good faith.

Article II. The United States and Vinland agree to respect the territorial and legal sovereignty of one-another, and not to play host to nor encourage the actions of anarchists, radicals, or other terrorist types whose actions are spanned between the jurisdictions of both countries.

Article III. The United States will grant Vinland extradition rights in accordance with Article I.

Article IV. The United States and Vinland shall agree to commit to non-aggression, which shall be carried out in every instance, and which shall persist in a position of utmost primacy in all diplomatic negotiations henceforth, that neither country shall make war with the other, and that both countries shall agree to special emergency diplomacy in times of crisis.

Article V. The United States will permit Vinland, at Vinland's discretion, to dispatch observers to oversee the United States activities in any territories which it may annex. The United States agrees to respect the dignity of men in all its conducts regarding annexed territories and regions occupied by United States Armed Forces.

Article VI. Vinland and the United States shall provide neither support nor safe harbor for any forces which exist to deal harm to the other nation.

Let it be said that Vinland and the United States shall commit to years of lasting friendship and cooperation from henceforth.

With the support of the centre-right coalition of the Socialdemkoratiskapartiet (Social Democrats), Konservativ Industripartiet (Conservative-Industrial), and Jordbrukarespartiet (Farmers), the Vinlandic Riksdag has approved of the Chicago Accords.

-Mika Saari, Statsminister of Vinland

-Ingvar I Gyllensvärd, King of Vinland

News from Europe​

DEATH OF THE KING OF CROATIA. Zagrab, Croatia. The nation of Croatia mourned this year the passing of King Sebastijan, the absolute monarch of the country for the past five years. Under his reign, he continued the policies of his predecessor, maintaining Croatia’s independence from Hungary and the close relationship with Germany. He also held the line against republicanism and proletarism, remaining a staunch monarchist with full support from the aristocracy. The death of the king has led to the throne being turned over to his eldest son, the new King Jovan. King Jovan is clearly cut from a different cloth than his father. Known as a more moderate sort, he has long advocated reform and a constitution similar to that which governs Germany. In the past, elements have opposed such reform out of concern of Russian intervention or invasion, but with the strong alliance to the German nation, the new king feels confident that they will be able to enact change without assault. The ascension of the new king has been backed by other reformists in the military and government, seeking to solidify further political and military support for Croatia against the rising shadow of a Balkans unified under Russia.

FLOODS BRING HAVOC TO NETHERLANDS. Amsterdam, Netherlands. A deluge of rains and storms have caused dampness in the small nation of the Netherlands to increase even more, bringing with them the flooding of local lakes and rivers. These bodies of water have well overflown their banks, and washed over a number of towns and villages within their radius. The destruction was gradual but nonetheless complete, causing the ruination of crops and countless levels of property damage. Thankfully, the gradualness of the rising waters prevented any casualties caused directly by the flooding, and no one has died, though there has been a moderate rise in disease throughout afflicted areas. The government has provided temporary housing and relief to those affected by the flooding, helping aid the nation’s rapid recovery. Eventually people did return home as the floodwaters receded, looking to reclaim lost homes and belongings. Despite this setback in the nation’s yearly productivity and similar economic ramifications, it seems that the disaster has quickly already begun to fade into memory.

ELECTIONS HELD IN DAUPHINE. Grenoble, Dauphine. New elections have been held in the nation of Dauphine this year, as Prime Minister Roch Forestier has come under continued criticism. The continued stagnation of the nation’s economy and pressure from Occitania have led to a resurgence among Septembrist styled leftists in the Grand Liberal Party. Some have advocated the resurrection of a proper successor to the Franco-Burgundian Confederation, though most have simply just called for greater support and involvement with the various trade treaties proposed and supported by Occitania. The conservatives under Forestier have instead argued that the nation should retain control over its own interests and risks too much with new agreements, calling for a restrained approach and resistance against a new Confederation. The Grand Liberal Party had a triumphant success, building upon the new wave of Septembrist liberalism throughout the region and Dauphine itself. Having gained the majority they have put forward one of the nation’s greatest liberal advocates, Jean Fillon as the new Prime Minister. What this means for impending talks on reunification is so far unknown.

DANISH ELECTIONS HELD. Copenhagen, Denmark. Danish elections continued to dominate around domestic affairs relating to the military and the old policies of the regime predating the currently ruling liberal Socialdemokraterne. The expense of maitenence for current military forces has been called obsolete and bloated by government insiders, and the liberal leadership has called for reform in a new term of office. They declared their intent to reduce the size of the Danish standing army in favor of a smaller, more professional force. The conservative Frie Folkeparti has come from the complete opposite direction, declaring the need for expansion and even calling for the deployment of a Danish expeditionary force to fight proletarism in America. Unfortunately, it seems that the Danish people are not quite eager to head abroad, especially with the dire threat of Scandinavia looming to the north. The Socialdemokraterne has secured another comfortable majority, and Statsminister Christian Zahle has been allowed to continue in his position along with his selected cabinet.

ELECTIONS HELD IN EUSKADI. Bilbao, Euskadi. Elections made a shift this year as the leading conservative National Cause Party began struggling after President Kepa Aiza announced the end of his involvement in the nation’s political system. After the completion of his current term, he has declared that his membership in even the lower levels of office is at an end, citing a desire to spend more time with family. Without the primary face of conservatism in Euskadi, the National Cause has been battling the liberals more extensively than in previous elections. The main issue has been a question of involvement in various trading and political treaties with the nations of the former Confederation. The Liberal Union Party has advocated the establishment of new treaties with both Catalonia and the various nations to the north. The National Cause Party has continued to fight for isolation from European political affairs and an amicable relationship with Spain. The battle was vicious, but the National Cause Party emerged triumphant, thanks to support and endorsement from more religious candidates. The Moralist Party has been invited into coalition, providing a new religious influence into the regime, as politician Xanti Gartza has been appointed the nation’s new President.

GERMAN ELECTIONS HELD. Munich, Germany. The government of the New German Brotherhood and President Anton Drexler have maintained power since the 1923 elections, for nearly fifteen years. Fears of Russian invasion have continued to support the current regime, which has advocated military strength and ample reserves in case of an apocalyptic war with the neighbor to the east. President Drexler has continued to war the German people about the risks of complacency and the threat of the Russian monarch to both Germany and Europe. The New German Brotherhood has campaigned on the concept that they are the bulwark against domination of Europe, and have managed to marginalize nearly every other political party. Anton Drexler managed to win the presidential election handily, securing his position, while the rest of the party continued to fight. The New German Brotherhood exists almost as an opposed political group, as the ongoing global recession has failed to give the support needed for any smaller group to succeed. They have won an overwhelming majority, capturing over eighty percent of the legislature.

DUTCH ELECTIONS HELD. Amsterdam, Netherlands. The Dutch people came out to the polls once more this year, as the Socialist Party launched their defense of their position as the nation’s majority. Stadtholder Hans Sterk has campaigned once more on fixing the economic situation while protecting the rights of the worker. Unfortunately, the lack of any real progress made on economic recovery has soured some of the populace towards the Socialists, much as it had toward the conservative National Party of the Republic. An increasing proportion of the population has begun turning towards more extremist groups, particularly traditional proletarists and right-wing militarists. The traditional proletarists have managed to actually gain a substantial position within the legislature, stealing seats from the Socialists. Stadtholder Sterk has barely managed to hold onto his office, not gaining a majority of the vote, but the largest percentage. The legislature continues to be minimally controlled by the Socialist Party, but the heavy new traditional proletarist presence has threatened the unity of the national body.

ELECTIONS HELD IN NORMANDY. Caen, Normandy. The tenuous alliance of liberals which placed the Septembrist Party in power in Normandy came crumbling apart this year as differences on working reform drove a wedge in between them. The collapse of the coalition which was established as a unified front against the external threat of Burgundy has opened the door for a liberal electoral defeat. The Unified Conservative Party has lived up to its name, remaining united while the liberals debated even the smallest matters of procedure. As new talk has emerged about a new Confederation, the Norman conservatives have lobbied hard against such a notion, mentioning the proportional economic success and opportunity the nation has had on its own. They have also argued against the growing influences of Occitania and American nations, calling for the establishment of higher tariffs and the end of the free trade agreement with the other former Confederate states, claiming that this would protect opportunities for the Norman people. These arguments and liberal disunity has helped pave the wave for the Unified Conservative victory and majority gained this year, and career military officer turned politician, Arthur Richards, has been appointed the new Prime Minister.

OCCITANIAN ELECTIONS HELD. Toulouse, Occitania. The people of Occitania surprised very few this year as the nation held new elections as mandated by the constitution. The new elections have been revolving around the pan-Confederate sentiment which has been pushed forward by various liberal parties around the region. Though Occitania was not a member of the old Confederation, members of the Party of Order have speculated that it could easily become the crux of a new one. The Party of Order has further claimed success for economic improvement and recent working reforms, marketing their past success as an indicator of future ones. The efforts have proven widely successful as those who had previously looked towards social or traditional proletarist parties have realized the sympathy and support that exists from the Party of Order. They have therefore actually managed to expand their majority in the Chambre des Députés, gaining greater control and influence.

ELECTIONS HELD IN ORLEANS. Orleans, Orleans. Similarly to Normandy, when the Septembrists won a majority in the 1934 elections, it was due to the perilous threat presented by the government of Burgundy at the time. As that threat has been extinguished, the Septembrists in Orleans have had an advantage that those in Normandy did not, victory without a coalition. They have continued to maintain that stable rule and international involvement are needed for the welfare of Orleans and its people. They have argued that the calls for a new Confederation are legitimate and necessary for the security of the people. President Jacques Lebou has declared that a new Confederation would serve as the foundation for a peaceful Western Europe and prevent the rise of similar incidents such as those which had occurred in Burgundy. The risky gamble of outright endorsement of the pan-Confederate trend threatened to destabilize the party, but proved to be correct. Though some seats were lost, the Septembrists in Orleans have managed to preserve their majority and position.

ELECTIONS HELD IN SARDINIA. Cagliari, Sardinia. Despite the party’s dominant position achieved by the 1932 elections, the King’s Honor Party in Sardinia has seen a severe weakening of support in the months leading up to this year’s election. Though they had been elected in order to end the war in Tunis, the catastrophic failure of the economy over the past few years has been political devastation. With both key parties discredited and alternative parties illegal, the situation in Sardinia became quite dire politically. This year has seen the lowest turnout since the nation began holding elections, demonstrating a severe problem for the legitimacy of the government. Numerous protests have been held calling for the legalization of social and traditional proletarist parties, which has been resisted in the past. Several of the protests turned violent, as the government struggles to find a solution to the failing economy and worsening situation. The King’s Honor Party has prevailed in the voting, barely, but unrest seems to be growing daily in the island nation.

INQUISITION LAUNCHES NEW PROLETARIST CRACKDOWN. Rome, Papal States. The Papal Inquisition launched a major intelligence offensive this year with limited cooperation from Italian organizations. After several years of investigating and infiltrating local proletarist groups, the Inquisition has begun rounding up known members and recruiters for these organizations. The operation as a whole has been a mixed bag of results and efficiency. A large number of lower level leaders and recruiters have been arrested and imprisoned, but the higher ranking members of the proletarist hierarchy have managed to evade capture. Some investigations have resulted in conclusive evidence that the Scandinavians have been providing funding and support to the proletarist movements in Italy and the Papal States. This has come in the form of several Scandinavian intelligence agents captured in the Inquisition’s operations, as well as documents and weaponry clearly originating from Stockholm. The proletarists remain at large overall, but it is clear they have taken a massive blow to their capabilities from the operation, so it has still be lauded as a success by the Catholic Church.

NETHERLANDS FORMS MINISTRY OF CULTURE. Amsterdam, Netherlands. The Dutch government has established a new administrative branch of their bureaucracy, seeking to help preserve cultural unity and development. Similar to a Danish program to encourage tourism and development, the Dutch have offered financing and regulation to cultural aspects of the nation. The Ministry of Culture governs traditional art forms and performances, but has also been created to regulate and control the cinema and growing television market. After witnessing the chaotic birth of mass television throughout South America, the Dutch have determined to make sure that introduction to the Netherlands is more controlled and less confusing. They have established systems for broadcasting licenses, seeking to control what is actually produced and presented to the masses on the air. Overall the new ministry has received some criticisms for putting government control over the arts, but many have welcomed the new jobs and regulation that the Ministry provides.

CELEBRATION AMID TENSIONS IN EASTERN EUROPE. Odessa, Russia. The Russian Empire celebrated the thirtieth year anniversary of the conclusion of the Great War this year, as gifts were handed out to the populace and lavish fireworks displays were present in all major cities. Emperor Mikhail himself gave a speech at the feet of the Statue of Victory in Odessa, vowing that the lessons of the Great War would not be forgotten and all the enemies of Russia would receive true justice. He reiterated the betrayals by Russia’s allies during the war, leaving both Spain and Russia to hang while others retreated, and vowed that all of Russia’s enemies will one day receive upon them the very wrath of God for their crimes. The celebrations spark alarm across the western Russian border as Russian artillerymen fired their guns for nearly an hour in celebration of the victory. Fearful of an artillery barrage, this caused a number of German and Scandinavian units to be partially mobilized, unaware of the planned celebrations. Relations in the region continue to be at an all-time low, as many are concerned that recent rhetoric and militarism could well lead to the outbreak of a new major war.

POITOU PURGE BRINGS MORE VIOLENCE. Poitiers, Poitou. After the violence of the attempted revolution by traditional proletarists in Poitou, the military has struggled to maintain control. This year, they launched a major offensive to arrest or execute all known proletarists and supporters throughout the nation. Occitanian military and intelligence forces cooperated along the border, as did Brittany, but Orleans’ cooperation was less enthusiastic. This proved to be a problem, and the relationship between the two nations took a dive, as Poitou’s military government claimed Orleans was acting as a safe haven for the proletarists. Orleans has denied these claims, stating that they have always stood firm against traditional proletarism. The offensive as a whole was nearly a total disaster, the proletarists retaliating against the government every step of the way. Bombings and assassinations have become commonplace, as over three dozen different explosions were reported throughout the year. The government has vowed to track down and bring to justice all those responsible for the growing unrest. Representatives of the traditional proletarists have claimed that the military government is illegitimate and will be brought down by any means, even though their own militias were defeated in the battles last year.

OCCITANIA ANNOUNCES AIRFIELD EXPANSION. Marseilles, Occitania. This year the Occitanian government provided ample support and contribution for the expansion of runways and airfield facilities across the nation. With the full support of the regime and the finances and efforts provided, the project has already been completed, and achieved its goals. The project provided some limited work and labor for the unemployed, but was mostly geared towards making the nation’s airfields capable of supporting civilian and military jet powered aircraft. It has been stated that the latest jets require larger airstrips, and current civilian companies have stated that their new models of airliners will be substantially bigger than previous ones. Some have called the Occitanian program a bit preemptive, but most agree that the improved runways and expansions will only aid in the nation’s economic growth and recovery.

CONFEDERATE REUNIFICATION TALKS BEGIN. Paris, Paris. The Conference of Paris, beginning this year, assembled as a number of representatives from across the former lands of the Franco-Burgundian Confederation met to discuss the possibility of reunification. In recent years liberal and other leftist groups have begun loudly proclaiming the merits of the Confederation and the recent events caused by the Empire of Burgundy have only reinforced these statements. They have argued that the Confederation was a vital source of stability for Western Europe, and that it was a mistake to have disbanded. At first Normandy, Poitou, Flanders, and Brittany were also in attendance, but their representatives departed throughout the year, signaling a lack of interest in such an reformation. On the other hand, Occitania, to which an open invitation of membership had always been extended during the days of the Confederation, has attended, and provided vital support. A number of issues have emerged during the discussion, including the as a proposed new government would lack a monarch as the head of state, and would focus on liberal republicanism as its foundation. This has created some concern about the position of the monarch of Occitania in any proposed Confederation, as the other states have so far refused the notion of a new monarchy to govern all. Another chief concern has been the German opinion on the matter, as the Treaty of St. Gallen was a result of the Rhine-Rhone War which led to the Confederation’s dissolution. Most fear that German opposition will prevent the formation of a new Confederation. Lastly, the location of a new capital has been a matter of concern, as no one is certain which city or nation should play host to a new united government. Discussions are continuing, and it seems like that a resolution to the situation will come with further negotiations in 1939.

SCANDINAVIA EXPANDS SKANE FORTS. Malmo, Scandinavia. As tensions continue to mount between Russia and its neighbors, the Scandinavians have not forgotten recent problems with the Danes and their close relationship with the Russian Emperor. Fearful of a simultaneous invasion from the east and south, the Scandinavians have sought to further bolster their defenses throughout the region of Skane. While previous efforts have built numerous bunkers and artillery positions, these forts have been upgraded with anti-aircraft weaponry and even more concrete establishments to prevent an enemy from gaining a foothold. The new fortifications are stated to be the younger brother of the massive Mannerheim Line, and to be just as formidable. The Scandinavian minister in charge has stated that he will resign should a single Danish soldier ever step on the mainland of Scandinavian, demonstrating his confidence in the new works.

PROHIBITION REPEALED IN SPAIN. Madrid, Spain. The election of a liberal government in last year’s elections has at last seen a physical manifestation of efforts of the new regime. The Prohibition laws which forbid the production or sale of certain types of liquors has been repealed by the liberal government. Prime Minister Donato Vazquez has stated that this is a step to restoring lost freedoms caused by the moralist regime, and establishing a freer society. Furthermore, he has claimed that the effort will legitimize or create a large number of jobs, putting more Spaniards back to work across the nation. The Moralist Party has denounced the new development, claiming that the regime is in cahoots with organized crime and demonstrating the lack of moral well-being extant in any liberal government. They have vowed that this will only rally those of true faith behind their banner, seeking to preserve integrity and belief in the Spanish government.

RECONSTRUCTION COMPLETE IN BURGUNDY. Dijon, Burgundy. The massive reconstruction of Burgundy has at last come to a conclusion this year, thanks to the influx of international aid over the past few years. The reconstruction has been directed towards repairing the damages of two wars and ten years of neglect on behalf of the government. Rusted tanks have been removed, old trenches have been filled in, and mines have been cleared, as the Burgundian government seeks to erase the damages of the Rhine-Rhone War and the conflicts which have followed. The aid provided has come in all forms, directed mostly by Occitanian administrators and military authorities. New roads and railroads have been constructed, tying the nation together and rebuilding shattered infrastructure. Cooperation with Paris and Dauphine have led to linked networks and lines, helping to create ease of transport and trade. President François Laurent has thanked the international community for its support in these troubled times as the nation struggles to get past the crimes and neglect of the departed Empire.

CROAT KING PLEDGES REFORM. Zagreb, Croatia. The young King Jovan Hrvatinić of Croatia has been long believed to be a reformist and has sought to modernize his nation. Having been educated in Austria amid the tumultuous times of the unification with Brandenburg, he has great interest in improving the international opinion of his nation. To this end, King Jovan has announced plans for the establishment of a new Parliament and legislature, to provide full representation for the will of the people of Croatia. The king has found some support for his plans among the younger bureaucrats and administrators, as well as the old, who hope to build a closer alliance with Germany. The king has stated that advisors have already been convened for the writing of the nation’s new constitution, and that the first elections will be held no later than 1941. The Free Balkan Movement has applauded the King’s decision and has offered their full support for the effort, and as a sign of good faith, have shut down their own violent operations in Croatia for the time being.

PARIS COMPLETES RECONSTRUCTION. Paris, Paris. Parisian ministers were pleased to announce this year the conclusion of the ambitious reconstruction project which sought to repair the damages caused by the Rhine-Rhone War and the ten years of neglect that followed. The reconstruction has been heavily financed by Orleans and Normandy, seeking to help guide the transition to a new democratic republic. Minor other international efforts have been provided to aid, but not to the same extent as those contributed to the reconstruction of Burgundy. Furthermore administration of the efforts have been handled more locally, as Parisian officials have had a greater hand in choosing their own fate and making decisions without oversight. The new roads and rails bear more similarity to the types currently in Normandy, rather than the same system constructed in Burgundy. Despite the differences, full efforts have been made to connect the two systems, creating an interlinked trade and commercial system. Prime Minister Joseph Thesmond has thanked the international community for support, and has pledged that Paris will make the best of its second chance as a free state.

LATVIAN PARTISANS CONTINUE ATTACKS. Riga, Russia. The Russian government has continued to face a high level of activity by anti-imperial Latvian partisans, who have vowed to liberate their nation. The attacks have come in the form of over a half dozen bombings of official government installations, both civilian and military. So far, it is clear that there are not enough partisans to wage open war or rebellion against the Russian government, but there have been reports of Russian soldiers and garrison troops simply disappearing after service. The Emperor’s Hand has reported some success in the arrests of leaders of Latvian guerilla cells, though have not been forthcoming in details or arrangements made to achieve these successes. Latvians have denied that any Russian attempts to wrangle them have succeeded, and have proclaimed that the liberation is soon at hand, as more victories continue to mount for their cause.

OUTER HAVEN STILL DISPUTED IN SWITZERLAND. St Gallen, Switzerland. The Swiss government has entered into a state of stalemate as President Carlo Heller has continued to use every method at his disposal to slow or stop the Outer Haven program. This controversial program, which hopes to provide support and better standards of living to those just outside Swiss borders, has been long opposed by the President. This year, he redirected spending to other items, such as increased education and greater military spending to slow the advancement of the project. The Greater Peace Party has claimed that he has overstepped bounds, though legally he remains within the rights of the Swiss presidency. The dispute has been brought into the press, as the two factions have argued over whether or not it is a Swiss burden to bear to pay for the improvements. President Heller continues to insist that the funding would be better directed to security, particularly as the world’s political atmosphere continues to darken. The stalemate shows no signs of breaking, as the Outer Haven continues to go forward, albeit at a slower pace.

News from the Americas​

HURRICANE SWEEPS CARIBBEAN. Guantanamo, Cuba. A major hurricane churned its way across the Caribbean this year, building strength after passing over Puerto Rico and Hispaniola. The hurricane left a trail of damage in its wake, eventually making continental landfall near New Barcelona. According to reports, it appears that the worst of the damage was done to the island nation of Cuba, leaving thousands dead and tens of thousands of people homeless from the destruction. A number of vessels were lost at sea in the waves surrounding the island, mostly including fishing boats, but some smaller merchant ships too. The damage was spread fairly evenly across the island, with the worst done to the coastline and villages scattered along it. The Cuban government has done its best to respond to the disaster, providing relief and military support to local and provincial law enforcement groups. The hurricane’s damage proved lesser on Puerto Rico and Hispaniola, while New Barcelona, already hunkered down from bombing raids, was amply prepared for the arrival of a storm.

TREATY SUPPLY DELAYS BLAMED ON SABOTAGE. Maracaibo, Venezuela. Tensions between Colombia and Venezuela, which had been temporarily abated by the renegotiation of an oil supply treaty has emerged anew. The amounts of oil actually provided to Colombia has fallen far short of the amounts previously negotiated, while Venezuelan export numbers continue to rise to other nations. Investigations have shown that the Venezuelan end of the pipeline has been deliberately reduced to slimmer numbers of production with emphasis being directed to companies working on refineries elsewhere in the nation. The Colombians have claimed that the Venezuelan government has reneged on treaty obligations, refusing to commit everything that was promised in negotiations. The result has been a severe lack of productivity and profit for Colombian refining, as Venezuela maintains most of their own production. The Venezuelan oil companies have denied any organized conspiracy to defy the treaty, and have countered Colombian accusations by claiming that the Colombians are lying about the amount of oil received.

ELECTIONS HELD IN BRAZIL. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Elections in Brazil this year took on a new level of intensity as the reigning Partido Moralista ran a campaign upon a foundation of fear. The ongoing crisis threatening war with Argentina has spurred the Moralists to call for unity behind the government, claiming that without their leadership, the nation would be destroyed by its enemies. They have heaped immense amounts of vitriol and scorn upon the liberal cause, creating much animosity within the populace and legislature. The moralists have claimed that under their leadership, the economy has begun to recover and the navy has reached greater strength than ever before, providing new protection. The liberal Partido do Avental Branco was placed mostly upon the defensive, fighting back against efforts in the media to portray them as against freedom. They did succeed to an extent, and have managed to regain a sizeable holding in the legislature, but they have still failed to obtain a majority against the moralist dominated House of Commons. Therefore, the Moralists have maintained their position, and First Minister Víctor Simões continues to hold the position as Brazil’s head of government.

COLOMBIAN ELECTIONS HELD. Bogota, Colombia. The onset of Colombia’s previous presidential and legislative terms could not have foreseen the troubles that would arise. The impeachment of President Rodriguez in 1937 and corruption charges which followed have irrevocably damaged the perception of the moralists among the public. At the same time, the new President Dipina has only been the leader of the government for less than a year at the time of the elections, and he still went out campaigning. Promising a government with less corruption and more accountability to the people, President Dipina has been has been campaigning as much for his party as for himself. Unfortunately, the liberals have been somewhat tainted by the corruption allegations themselves, and to most, Dipina has very little charisma or presence in speeches. Legislative elections have led to a lack of any majority in Congress, though the Reformists continue to hold the largest amount of seats. The presidential elections had similar results, but instead of a Reformist victory, the voice of the people selected the independently running moderate, Jorge Romeu. The new President Romeu comes from a wealthy background and service in the armed forces, pledging an efficient new Colombia.

RELIGIOUS TENSIONS MOUNT IN AZTLAN. Oaxaca, Aztlan. Aztec government officials came under mounting pressure this year from religious leaders within the Catholic Church to not suffer the likes of those of the old religion. They have claimed that the followers of Quetzalcoatl continue to practice human sacrifice and must be suppressed, calling for Aztlan to declare Catholic Christianity the state religion. Their words and speeches have begun to cause Catholic Aztecs to lead miniature pogroms against the followers of the old faith in various smaller villages. In response, the followers of the old faith have formed their own militias and mobs, leading to an escalating spiral of violence between devotees of the two groups. Most of this violent activity has been taking place in the more rural regions of the nation, but some criminal behavior and brawls in larger cities have begun falling into the category of religious violence. The government has refused to protect either group in favor of the other, and have attempted to implement the law equally and towards both factions. The violence has continued regardless, and many are concerned that localized police forces are still turning a blind eye to some activities, despite the official regime’s stance.

TELEVISUAL CRAZE GRIPS SOUTH AMERICA. Rosario, Argentina. A few years ago, a novelty device was marketed to the masses, capable of broadcasting images and sounds much in the same way that radio just broadcasts music or news. The device failed to catch on, due to a limited amount of broadcasting options and the expense of production, and thus the high cost of the product. The new television sets have been produced almost simultaneously by two separate companies in both Brazil and Argentina. This in turn has led to a bitter lawsuit between the two companies, accusing each other of theft of ideas and designs. They are produced much more cheaply and effectively, being churned out similarly to radios and other consumer goods. The new craze has been supported by the establishment of hundreds of new broadcasting stations, some which have proven more successful than others, and many of which have failed within several months. The new surge in production and spending has helped local economies, and the options of viewing have captured the imagination of many people, as new shows and live news broadcasts help cement a growing new culture. The craze has been slow catching on in other nations, excepting Paraguay, as so far, television sets remain expensive outside of Argentina or Brazil.

DECLARATIONS BRING RECLAMATION WAR TO NEW PHASE. Jefferson, Jacksonia. The brutal Reclamation War between the United States of America and most of its neighbors has entered a new phase both politically and militarily this year. The American government in Chicago has announced that with the entry of Florida and Jacksonia into hostilities, the fight has become one of reunification, in which the whole of the states will be returned to the Union. They have declared that this is a war to reaffirm the foundations of the nation and reestablish its power and prosperity through unity. The Jacksonians responded with a response of their own, announcing the beginnings of the annexation of the state of Oregon into Jacksonia. Florida similarly has continued the policy of welcoming any state government that could choose to secede from the United States. The Jacksonian government has confirmed that the new goal is to bring to an end the United States of America once and for all. With these words, the Reclamation War has been truly reformed into one of extinction, as all involved face the possibility of losing their very sovereignty as nations.

THE RECLAMATION WAR. Chicago, United States of America. The brutal Reclamation War continues to be waged on numerous fronts, and it seems that the conflict is nowhere near an end as both sides struggle for control of the region. Starting with the west, the Jacksonians are enjoying a new round of victory, as their jets soar unopposed through the skies, and American armies withdraw before them. The Americans have attempted to hold back a number of strongpoints, but their own effective fights have been the winter seasons which block passes and stop supplies and the destroying of vital infrastructure. The few strongholds which stood were quickly leveled by overwhelming Jacksonian numbers and superiority. The biggest problem for Jacksonia has been the sheer amount of vast territory and number of plantations and towns to occupy, spreading forces thin across the Great Plains in their advance. A bit further east the Americans showed much more force and determination throwing a large amount of troops against the Floridian salient into Missouri. Faced with overwhelming airpower and a massive amount of tanks the Floridians were outnumbered and outgunned in every respect. Under the hammer blows of American forces, the Floridian forces in Missourah City were cut off and annihilated and the army pushing towards San Carlos was engaged and utterly routed. American forces have pushed along the west bank of the Mississippi River deep into Florida itself, driving their enemy before them. The Floridians somewhat began to rally towards the beginning of winter, but they continue to be pushed back by overwhelming pressure. In the east, the Americans have continued to play off of last year’s victory, as they have pushed towards the Gulf of Florida, cutting the Floridian Peninsula off from the rest of the United Proletarist Republics of America. The push crushed local UPRA forces with overwhelming airpower and superior armor, advancing with only moderate casualties, as the UPRA army in the south was forced into full retreat. Limited US forces have begun driving into the Okeechobee Proletarist Republic, finding that few UPRA troops moved east, as opposed to west. The peninsula was quickly secured with the aid of the US Navy. During these operations the first and likely only fleet battle was engaged between the Floridian and US Navies. After the US Army broke through to the Gulf coast, Floridian ships were moved up to assist the UPRA’s armed forces. The US Navy saw a chance to catch the Floridian battle fleet against the coast, and took it. Deploying a carrier and their own battleships against the Floridians, the US was still not able to catch them by surprise, allowing the Floridians to be prepared for the battle before the first airplanes showed up. While the US airborne attack had some success, the battle was predominantly between the capital ships of the two fleets. The Floridians managed to fight their way through the American trap, and escaped into the Gulf of Florida, making it home to port, mostly intact with a few lost vessels in the process. The Battle of Live Oak Island has proven to be tactically a draw, as neither side can truly claim a decisive naval victory. Around September, the focus of the war became a new offensive as reinforced Russian forces launched an assault directly towards the UPRA’s capital of Chattanooga. Using specially prepared mountain tanks, as well as more traditional armor, they broke the proletarist front, as overwhelming air power pummeled the UPRA’s positions. The proletarists prepared themselves for a siege of Chattanooga, but the battle abruptly turned as the Russians used airborne soldiers dropped from transports to seize the heights around the city. Though attempts were made to drive them off the mountains, the proletarists were unable to do so before the Russian and American troops advanced upon the city. With their positions surrounded and the bridges north lost, the proletarists were divided, retreating back from their lost center of power. The loss of Chattanooga and the capture of local bridges completely intact threatened to open the door into the heart of the UPRA’s industry and power. Unfortunately, the early arrival of winter slowed and stopped the American and Russian advance, as the UPRA rushed reinforcements from all other fronts. By the end of the year, despite their astonishing victory, the Russians and Americans have not managed to take much more lands outside of Chattanooga itself.
Casualty Lists
Florida: 33 Conscript Brigades, 14 Infantry Brigades, 5 Cavalry Brigades, 11 Artillery Brigades, 5 Furacão-class Destroyers, 1 Maryland-class Battleship (+1 Army Quality, +1 Navy Quality)
Jacksonia: 7 Conscript Brigades
United Proletarist Republics of America: 99 Conscript Brigades, 4 Infantry Brigades, 3 Equality-type Armored Brigades, 8 Artillery Brigades (+1 Army Quality)
Russia: 44 Infantry Brigades, 2 Laelaps Armored Brigades, 1 CKC-LTP 34 Armored Brigade, 3 Artillery Brigades (+1 Army Quality)
United States of America: 68 Conscript Brigades, 12 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 6 Artillery Brigades, 1 Zygmunt-class Destroyer, 2 Furacão-class Destroyers, 2 Tufão-class Destroyers, 1 Ziemowit-class Heavy Cruiser, 1 Lioness-class Battlecruiser, 1 Olympus-class Battleship (+1 Army Quality, +1 Navy Quality)

URUGUAYAN CRISIS RESOLVED. Montevideo, Uruguay. For a few months at the beginning of the year it seemed as though the Uruguayan Civil War could very well erupt into a general South American conflict. Thanks to efforts by Brazil and Argentina, what started as smaller skirmishes were thankfully negotiated to a conclusion. Thanks to these two larger powers, each backing a different faction in the crisis, the two sides have seen the end of internal fighting. Both factions have agreed to turn the situation to a public vote slated to be held next year, under close supervision from international powers, with a number of involved neutral observers. The nation has been reunified and a coalition government has been formed with Miguel Padilla remaining the current President. Amnesty was granted to all who took up arms in the rebellion, but a number of dissatisfied liberals have left the nation to Argentina or Paraguay, which have welcomed their arrival. Both key political parties have begun preparing for next year’s elections, amid a highly public trial of Phillip Duval, who won the respect of the population by taking full responsibility for the bloodshed of the brief civil war, absolving those who had freed him and fought alongside him.

THE TRIAL OF PHILLIP DUVAL. Montevideo, Uruguay. An international court convened in Uruguay this year placing former President Phillip Duval on trial for the actions and bloodshed in the brief civil war. As his cohorts were granted amnesty under the terms of the treaty ending the conflict, Duval has stood alone, but with ample public support. Under the terms of the trial, Duval was accused of treason and attempting to overthrow the government, while the defense surprised everyone by arguing that he had no knowledge of the attempt and was innocent of the crime. As the evidence was heard, it became clear that Duval had no way of knowing about the plot or the plans for taking over, as he was imprisoned under previous charges, which have also been brought into doubt by the international court. It was also made clear that any actions taken during the brief war were directed by Duval’s underlings, rather than the president directly who acted as a figurehead more than anything. Therefore, by the end of the proceedings, Duval was acquitted on all charges and has been released. Brazil’s observer vehemently protested the result, as has President Padilla, who has called it a travesty of justice. For his own safety, President Duval has departed, along with others, to refuge in Argentina.

VENEZUELA BEGINS WORK ON NEW PORT FACILITIES. Caracas, Venezuela. As Venezuela’s refineries have begun functioning, the government has been lobbied by a number of oil companies to make exportation of oil and related products far easier. To this end, President Diego Marsala has pledged to build new facilities in Venezuela’s ports to ease the transit of oil to tankers and other vessels. This has included the construction of smaller pipelines throughout ports, as well as new dock and harbor facilities. Aware of the danger of fire, the new facilities also possess state of the art anti-fire systems, rivaling any other ports for efficiency in combatting fires. Critics of the plan have decried government involvement in what should be a private enterprise, wasting funds and resources on construction. President Marsala has stated that the project is planned only to last no more than three years, and will provide new employment and safety for workers on waterfronts across the nation.

MAYANS BEGIN NEW OIL DEVELOPMENT. Belize, Mayaland. Surveying work by Mayan government officials has led this year to the beginning of new oil field development throughout the southern parts of the nation. The remote new fields have been only recently discovered and engineering estimates anticipate a high cost for recovery of the raw resources in a remote environment. The program will also include the development of refineries, pipelines, and all the infrastructure required to build a petroleum based industry completely from scratch. Foreign engineers have been hired to help with the program, but have warned that such a project could easily take over a decade to build and complete. The government has turned this into a positive, pledging that many Mayans will be put to work, creating new business and opportunity for the nation’s people.

COLOMBIA DECENTRALIZES EDUCATION. Bogota, Colombia. As part of the policies of President Dipina, the Colombian Reformist Party has sought to establish a more regionally influenced nation, allowing provinces and cities to select their own methods of education. They have stated that either religious or secular education will be accepted, and that the provinces will be allowed to set their own standards. The government has continued to provide funding for the program, but will allow the regions to choose their own fates in regards to the goals and distribution of the funds. The elections threatened to waylay these plans, as President Dipina fell from glory after only a little more than a year of serving in the office. President Romeu has somewhat supported these policies, and has pushed forward with the decentralization of education. On the other hand, it is known that he is less enthusiastic about other proposed decentralization plans of his predecessor, having arrived from the highly regimented armed forces into political service.

OLD CATHOLICISM APPOINTS POPE. Buenos Aires, Argentina. A separatist group of priests and congregations known as the Old Catholic Church in Argentina has taken a strong new step against the Papacy of Rome. A number of appointed bishops have selected from among themselves a new Pope, counter to that of Rome. The Old Catholic Faith has grown significantly in recent years, as a reaction against the increased influence and meddling of the Papal States and moralism as a whole. The appointment of the new Pope Francisco in Buenos Aires has demonstrated that the Old Catholic Church no longer recognizes the authority of the Pope in Rome, and this has created a number of new conflicts. Many of the dissident priests have remained in their chapels on what has always been well recognized as land of the Catholic Church. A legal dispute has emerged in Argentine courts which has been resolved in favor of the priests, granting the Papal land to the priests and the Old Catholic Church. Priests remaining loyal to Rome have denounced the new faith, decrying them as heretics and otherwise preaching against them. This has driven a wedge among a number of communities in Argentina, and it seems unclear where the path for both faiths go from here.

HISPANIOLA BEGINS AIRFIELD EXPANSION. Santo Domingo, Hispaniola. Similar to other states across the world, the proliferation of civilian jet technology has offered up the potential for larger than ever numbers of travelers from nation to nation. The size of the proposed new planes and speed of jets requires larger and longer airfields for nearly every nation. The government of Hispaniola, continuing to be a center for profit off of the tourist trade and airborne commerce, has chosen to begin a program of enlarging the nation’s airfields. Priority has been given to military airfields, creating new landing strips, as the Army Air Force had recently acquired a large number of Brazilian jet fighters in recent years. These fighters are essentially useless without the new airfields, and the construction will only be of benefit. Civilian airports and landing strips will be next on the list, as the government seeks to modernize its air traffic infrastructure.

RECLAMATION WAR THREATENS POLITICAL TURMOIL IN VINLAND. Nya Stockholm, Vinland. Foreign affairs dominated discussion in the Riksdag and news media this year. The Social Proletarists and Conservative Industrialists became dangerously close to forming an alliance to bring down the ruling Social Democrats. Throughout this conflict, many impassioned arguments were made by both sides. Social Proletarists argued that Vinland has a moral obligation to halt American neo-Scottist aggression, and to prevent Russia from establishing a foothold in North America. Conservative Industrialists lambast Saari's failure to properly defend the border, and propose war as a solution to dissassemble the United States of America, so that Vinland no longer needs to deal with an unstable and powerful nation on her border. Throughout the lengthy debate, Saari was involved in high-stakes negotiations with President Harris of the United States, creating a new resolution which defused the situation at home. Vinland and the United States have agreed to nonaggression, and Vinland has received extraterritoriality rights for its law enforcement officers. This helped to stabilize the Saari government significantly as ensuring Vinlandic security was the main reason that the Conservatives desired a decisive war. With the new treaty in place, the Conservative Industrialists can place their support behind the Social Democrats. However, the Social Proletarists continue to propose actions against the USA, predominately due to their ideological differences with the ruling parties.

VINLAND LAUNCHES NEW INVESTIGATIONS IN UNITED STATES. Duluth, United States of America. The new treaty granting Vinland extraterritoriality in the United States of America has opened the doors for new investigations into the 1935 massacre that stirred Vinlandic emotions against the nation to the south. Vinland’s investigators and law enforcement have begun actively pursuing criminal activity across the border, seeking to shut down the militias that caused trouble within Vinland. Unfortunately, a number of these militias are members of the Ranger Program, which has granted them access to military weaponry. Vinland’s cavalry and law enforcement have thus been engaged in an undeclared war with the militias, which have actively and violently resisted Vinlandic law enforcement. Casualties have begun mounting in numerous border skirmishes between the two forces, as the United States lacks the ability or control to enforce cooperation upon the groups. Several thousand Vinlanders have been killed in the escalating skirmishes, but at the same time, numerous American militiamen have been arrested or killed in the fighting. American Congressmen have vehemently protested the treaty and abandonment of the militias, claiming that the US government has abandoned these people to almost direct rule from Vinland. Other issues have emerged as the Jacksonians have continued to advance along the Vinlandic border, and they have been also at arms against Vinland, preventing them access to the territory. They have threatened use of force against Vinland should incursions continue in territory claimed by the Bear Flag Republic. (-1 Cavalry Brigade for Vinland)

FOREIGN AID GROWS FOR UNITED STATES. Charleston, United States of America. As well known by the world at large, the Russian Expeditionary Force has continued to escalate the level of its involvement and size of its military expedition in the United States of America. This year, the aid has been increased from across Eastern Europe, throughout which the call for support against proletarism continues to mount. Eastern European monarchs have declared the United States’ fight as a fight of the protection of tradition and basic humanity against the anarchy of proletarism dominating the world. Massive amounts of aid have thus been flowing across the Atlantic, as contributions have emerged from places like Hungary, Romania, the Czech Kingdom, and Bulgaria. The Czechs themselves have provided the United States with more modern tanks, while the others have contributed older aircraft for use in the United States Army Air Force. While only Russia maintains an independent expeditionary force, the other states have pledged to assist the Americans in extinguishing the proletarist menace.

CHILE BEGINS AIRFIELD EXPANSIONS. Santiago, Chile. Similar to other states across the world, the proliferation of civilian jet technology has offered up the potential for larger than ever numbers of travelers from nation to nation. The size of the proposed new planes and speed of jets requires larger and longer airfields for nearly every nation. Chile’s government has faced the possibility of continued stalemate and a lack of progress. Rather than risking their own job security, both the President and Congress have agreed to cooperate on the passage of a new airfield expansion program. Priority has been given to military airfields, creating new landing strips, as plans are in motion to acquire a number of new jets. These fighters would be essentially useless without the new airfields, and the construction will only be of benefit. Civilian airports and landing strips will be next on the list, as the Chilean government seeks to modernize its air traffic infrastructure.

ECUADOR BEGINS HIGHWAY DEVELOPMENT. Quito, Ecuador. As other nations across South America build up their travel infrastructure, Ecuador has followed suit, announcing plans for an ambitious new highway system. The government has stated that the new roads will help improve mobility of the armed forces while providing new work to tens of thousands of Ecuadorian workers and businesses. The new infrastructure is have at its heart a series of paved roads, some elevated, across the nation, connecting all borders and areas along the coast. The interior is to receive only minimal improvements, due to the harsh terrain and high costs of local construction. Efforts are being made to connect the new roads with the similarly developing program in Peru, as well as already extant roads currently in use in Colombia. The construction is being supervised and directed by the military, rather than any private entities, and it has been announced that the project as a whole will be a military one instead of a civilian one. Civilians will only be allowed use of the new highways five years after completed construction.

AMERICAN UNIONS THREATEN STRIKES. Boston, United States of America. A number of New Englander unions have begun to threaten strikes against the government as the Reclamation War continues with no end in sight. The unions continued to gain momentum after the amount of casualties from the Battle of Charleston were at last published by underground newsletters. As a large amount of the dead were conscripts from the north, the threat has been predominantly made from both shipyards and munitions factories. Remaining civilian industry, what little remains, has also offered sympathetic support, pledging to strike in an effort to end the war. They have called for the United States to make peace with the UPRA, now that the tide has begun to turn, being a benevolent force on the continent. They have claimed that they remain united against the Jacksonians, but that peace should be made with the UPRA to focus on other threats. Union leaders have threatened that should negotiations not begin with the UPRA to end the war, that an indefinite large-scale strike will be launched across New England next summer. Government officials have not yet responded, but the dire threat to the war effort has raised concern about the damage such a strike may do if ignored.

News from Africa and the Middle East​

ANGOLA HOLDS FIRST RESTORED ELECTIONS. Namibe, Angola. For the first time since the 1926 civil war which led to the overthrow of the Brazilian backed Dominion government, the nation of Angola has experienced the luxury of free elections. Political parties have been restored, and to the amazement of many, the local native population has been granted the right to participate in the ongoing process. The new elections have been hotly disputed as Interim Prime Minister Simbron led the revived, more liberal, Party of Order in the contest. He and his party have called for closer ties with Argentina and other states in South America, building new trade and economic ties. Furthermore, he has called for new alliances to forestall the probable aggression by Chokweland, and to defend Angola from any outside threat against its existence. Calls for new security and American trade have helped spur the Party of Order to a slim majority, as the opposition Reclamation Party called for a more aggressive approach to the current Chokwe regime. The Party of Order has confirmed Simbron as the continuing prime minister, as he has been appointed for a new six-year term until the next election cycle.

RELIEF PROVIDED TO EASE SUDANESE FAMINE. Khartoum, Sudan. Famine has continued to blight the lands of Sudan this year, but there has been relief from a number of quarters. The Red Crescent has helped spearhead new aid and humanitarian efforts, providing food supplies and medicine from a number of Islamic nations. Egypt has led the way in the effort, doing what it can to ease suffering along the border with Sudan, despite the recent antagonistic approach from Chad, closing the borders to aid from the west. Brazil has been the other primary contributor of aid and support, bringing food supplies in through their naval bases and donating it to the government for distribution. The relief has been highly appreciated, though the Red Crescent has reported that it seems some of the supplies may have been diverted to supply military forces in the worsening situation on the border with Abyssinia rather than to the civilian population. It is unknown whether the administrators of the Red Crescent will continue the flow of supply while these allegations are investigated.

SUDAN ATTACKS ABYSSINIA. Maganan, Abyssinia. Sudanese military forces launched a full attack along the border with Abyssinia this year, seeking to overwhelm and destroy Abyssinian military forces rapidly. The Sudanese government has claimed that the Abyssinians have maliciously released a chemical blight into the crops and that they have sought to overthrow Sudan’s regime, seeking to destroy the Muslim people and faith in Eastern Africa. Sultan Zaman Karim has declared that the government in Abyssinia would seek to destroy Sudan and its people, and that it must be demolished first. Prime Minister Bulti of Abyssinia has denied the allegations made towards his government, and has vowed that the people of Abyssinia will fight to the last against aggression. The Sudanese offensive started well, but Abyssinia quickly mobilized their reserves and dug in their heels. Despite larger Sudanese numbers, the Abyssinians fought well and bled the enemy army very badly, thanks to superior training and ability. By the end of the year, the Sudanese advance slowed to a crawl, while their push towards Addis Ababa has been outright halted. For the time being, no one is sure what direction the war will take, only that it is far from certain who the victor will be.
Casualty Lists
Abyssinia: 6 Conscript Brigades, 1 Infantry Brigade
Sudan: 13 Infantry Brigades, 1 Artillery Brigade

ELECTIONS HELD IN LIBYA. Tripoli, Libya. Libya’s first elections started as a chaotic process, as neither side was quite able to obtain a clear and obvious advantage. Reformist leader, Iqbal Mihayshi, attempted to maintain a bipartisan approach to government, but it became clear that a major split had taken place between left and right. The Islamic Brotherhood on the right has called for the restoration of religious rule and support for Sudan in their current conflict with Abyssinia, while the New Liberal Party has called for the formation of an enlightened republic like those in Kurdistan or Turkey. The vitriol and hate spewed by both groups led to disillusionment with both sides, as Mihayshi offered the Third Path Party as an alternative. This moderate political group has called for the formation of a united coalition and movement to gradually change and reform the nation as a whole. The party has easily managed to obtain the largest bulk of seats in the nation’s Parliament, but this has not been enough. They have been forced to establish a coalition with the New Liberal Party, who have insisted upon Mihayshi as the official Prime Minister, despite his reluctance. The Islamic Brotherhood has vowed to fight on in the legislature, and seek out any further advancement of their goals.

FIRST ELECTIONS HELD IN INTERIOR AFRICA. Carnot, Interior Africa. The Spanish Dominion of Interior Africa has held its first elections this year as an autonomous member of the larger Spanish Empire. Governor Eliude Marzo has stepped aside to allow local political parties to form under Spanish supervision and advice. As per the constitution proletarist parties have been forbidden from participation, which had a minimal effect on the overall process. The leading party so far has been the moderate United Front, which has been consolidated behind a number of the primary leaders behind the initiative to become a Dominion. Having clearly shown their desire for better conditions for the people of Interior Africa, they have continued to put aside a number of smaller ideological differences to help forge a true nation. Their united party has managed to win the votes needed for a definitive majority in the legislature, allowing them to appoint the nation’s first Prime Minister, Luis Zuniga, an educated man educated in Spain, but born in Interior Africa.

ELECTIONS HELD IN KONGO. Haraldsholm, Kongo. It has been difficult for the people of Kongo to look past the setbacks which the remnants of the Scandinavian Empire have suffered in recent years. Pledges to restore proper rule over Stockholm and Scandinavia itself have seemed to prove hollow, as nothing develops after years of promises. This year the underdog Liberal Party has begun campaigning on a pledge to focus on building a better life in Kongo, rather than pining for the restoration of an era which has passed. They continue to remain hostile to the proletarists in Stockholm, but have pledged a new economy and a focus on being an African nation rather than wishing they were still a European empire. Surprisingly, these concepts have proven to work well among the people, who have grown tired of war and the fading chance of returning to homes in Sweden or Norway, as some younger voters have never actually even been to the old fatherland. The Liberals have managed to triumph heartily over other political parties, as the Kongo Colonial Society continues to fade in influence and strength and the National Vanguard has failed to present a vision for the future. The Liberals, after gaining the majority have appointed Helmer Viken, one of the oldest officials who has served in Kongo since before the Accidental Revolution. Emperor Conrad has warned against the abandonment of the old cause, calling for the nation to continue to remain vigilant against the dire threat of proletarism.

TURKISH ELECTIONS HELD. Konya, Turkey. The Grand Mandate Party had been elected in 1933 on the platform of helping the economy recover after the onset of a global downturn. After five years it seems that the economy has only been worsened by the efforts of the government and Prime Minister Zekai Apaydın. The conservatives have found it difficult to explain their failure and the elections have been once more extremely tenuous for them to hold power. The Young Turks have campaigned harshly, claiming that the Grand Mandate Party allowed in Roman and Russian influences, undermining the nation’s sovereignty. They have called for a new regime and support for the Turkish minority in other states, rather than just hoping that they will come home when called. These nationalist sentiments and the call for new working reform and legislation have helped spur the Young Turks to victory once more, as their favored son, Deniz Kılıçdaroğlu, is appointed the new Prime Minister.

ELECTIONS HELD IN ZAMBIA. Lusaka, Zambia. The small African republic of Zambia held new elections this year, which have revolved around the growing strength and threat of the nation of Chokweland. As the Chokwe had succeeded where Zambia had failed in the conquest of Burundi, the Zambians continue to be concerned by highly active Chokwe armies across the northern border. While these troops are allegedly pursuing the remnant forces of the warlord Bapela, there is some concern they will head south. The Socialist Party has offered no solutions beyond a treaty with Chokweland and an alliance with Mutapa. This has proven to be enough though, as Prime Minister Peter Damron has announced the completion of over half of the nation’s new fortifications. He has stated that the security of Zambia is his concern and that the nation will be protected from its enemies. The voters have once more turned out to support him and the Socialist Party has retained a majority, and Damron has continued to preserve his position as the head of government.

CHOKWE CONTINUE HUNT FOR BAPELA. Luanda, Chokweland. Chokweland’s military forces have continued to pursue the remnants of the army of the raider warlord of Burundi, Imamu Bapela. They have claimed he continues to pose a threat to the peace and stability of the region as a whole, and substantial munitions. This at least seems true, as Bapela’s forces have at last begun waging an active campaign against the Chokweland and have met with astounding success. They have raided Chokwe arsenals, struck deep into even Chokweland’s own territory and provinces. The only trace of these raiders has been the bodies and carnage they have left behind them in their path of destruction. Chokweland’s forces have been unable to catch up with the rogue leader, who has so far been unreachable for comment from foreign press. Towards the end of the year, Chokwe forces did catch up with Bapela, but were soundly defeated in a small battle between the two groups, and the Chokwe were annihilated by the rebel forces. The search for Bapela has continued, but he has ample territory to hide within and the Chokwe remain stretched for both men and resources. (-1 Infantry Brigade)

CHOKWE PURCHASE OVAMBO TERRITORY. Mariental, Ovamboland. A new territorial agreement has been made between the leadership of Chokweland and its satellite state in Ovamboland. In exchange for a pittance amount of finances, the Chokwe have pushed the border a bit further south, securing a corridor to the Atlantic Ocean. This corridor passes through the Namib Desert and possesses essentially no territory of any value, beyond access to the sea. Some foreign critics of the purchase have called the new territory Jasso’s Folly, simply because due to the nature of the sand seas and the year around thick fog off the coast, it has been said to be by far the worst possible place in the world for a new port as proposed by the Chokwe government. Regardless, the purchase has gone forward, and the Ovambo have successfully managed to make the only profit that will ever likely be accrued thanks to the Namib Desert by the sale to the Chokwe.

BRITAIN AND SOUTH AFRICA COOPERATE ON IMMIGRATION. Cape Town, South Africa. In a search for new immigrants to help bolster the nation’s economy and power, the Dominion government of South Africa has been in low level negotiations with the motherland. The British have been requested to help steer emigrants from the British islands towards South Africa, favoring it over other possible destinations. So far, the British have been amenable to these proposals, willing to help enrich the Empire’s second Dominion. The South Africans have further begun to offer new lands and employment to any would-be settlers. This has caused some irritation among lobbyists from Australia, who have wished they thought of these efforts first, and have also been crying out for more immigrants. The efforts have been meeting with some success, despite a lack of official approval from Parliament, as the matter continues to be handled capably by the Bureau of Dominion Affairs.

ADJUURAMARK APPEALS FOR CALM AMID NEW UNREST. Mogadishu, Adjuuramark. After the takeover of Adjuuramark’s government by the military, there has been a rising tide of new dissent and unrest. This has particularly emerged from among the nation’s Islamic population, as a series of small riots have wracked the cities. Military authorities have been deployed to preserve calm, and tanks have proven themselves useful as barricade breakers and for crowd intimidation. General Carnehan has claimed that the recent unrest and instability has been created by Abyssinian agents, seeking to undermine the nation and its people. This platform has been called out by all supporters of the military government, stating that Abyssinia seeks to destroy its neighbors and instate tyranny across East Africa. They have called for the people of Adjuuramark to rally behind the government to help defend both the nation and themselves against the insidious plot from the north. Unfortunately, the propaganda is widely dismissed by most of the people of Adjuuramark and unrest and dissent continues to seethe throughout the nation.

BENIN UNDERTAKES LAND REFORM. Lokoja, Benin. Benin’s government, after the proclaimed success of the implementation of a universal legal system, has begun working towards legitimizing land holdings and distribution. A number of property rights that were held by people from Normandy or Poitou have continued to be recognized by the new independent state, though some deceased or missing owners have had their land seized and distributed to inhabitants. The effort has been made to more or less preserve the status quo of ownership wherever possible, avoiding the disruption of business and life. The exception to the rule has been the nationalization and distribution of all lands previously owned by the Empire of Burgundy directly. Some government related properties have been retained by the regime in Lokoja for their own purposes, but most of the assets have been distributed to workers of land or tenants in urban homes. The reform as a whole has been applauded for its diplomacy, though there remains some bitterness from elements of the population in the coastal cities, who have begun forming the core of the vocal opposition against General Dawon and his fledgling government and society.

IRAN LAUNCHES NEW SUNNI PLAN AS UNREST SIMMERS. Baghdad, Iran. The Iranians, seeing a rise in unrest and insurgent activities throughout Mesopotamia have begun an initiative to help win over the Sunni population of its most recent provinces. They have established new laws creating equality for Sunnis under legislation, rather than favoring the Shia population. The laws have been grudgingly acknowledged as a step in the right direction, but has done little to diminish the Arab desire for independence. These have been accompanied by plans to build new housing and homes for the Sunni and Arabic peoples, provided they pass background checks and are not wanted for anti-Iranian activities. The plan is ambitious in nature, and faces severe challenges in construction, as the government is forced to nationalize private property and demolish old homes to build new homes. This has only increased agitation among the Arabic population, who have taken to bombing the construction sites, redirecting their focus from other targets. The unrest has continued to mount, and the Arabic population has remained highly dedicated and determined to eliminating the Iranian invaders of their land.

NOMADS FACE DEFEAT AGAINST BRITISH. Riyadh, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. The Arabic nomads who have been causing much trouble for British authorities throughout the peninsula suffered major setbacks this year. British military and colonial forces, tired of the constant raids and attacks, at last launched an offensive of their own. With the use of aircraft and a systematic approach, they managed to wipe out a number of substantial raiding parties and groups that have caused trouble in the past. These attacks have greatly diminished the military power of those would-be rebels seeking the overthrow of British imperial rule. Unfortunately, the nomadic camps often possessed women and children, and the massacres involved have leaked out into the general population. More urban anti-British movements have used these massacres as fuel to anger the populace against imperial rule. Publishing of such propaganda has been illegalized, and British military officers have denied the claims that any massacre of women and child has taken place.

CHAD ESTABLISHES NATIONAL POLICE. Abeche, Chad. Following the highly successful lead of Benin, the government of Chad has sought to establish a unified and linked national system of law enforcement and justice. The stated goals have been to provide a cooperative system that protects and serves the people of Chad, regardless of religion or tribal allegiance. Unfortunately, the efforts have not turned out that way. The new force has been established but has become a notorious home for corruption and patronage, as the government places its own favored candidates in key positions. Advancement has quickly been shown to revolve around ethnic connections and identities, rather than skill or seniority. Agitation has quickly grown as police forces act more like gangs than most of the actual criminal groups do in the cities. Prime Minister Adoum Dadnadji has pledged that efforts will continue to improve the quality of the law enforcement forces, but that resistance will be punished if needed.

GOUDKUST DECLARES WORKING UTOPIA. Roggenstad, Goudkust. Stadtsholder Burke DeWitt of the young republic of Goudkust has announced plans for the establishment of a true working class paradise in Africa. He has stated that the continent holds only opportunity for the advancement of workers across the world. To this end, he has put out a call across Europe for immigrants to come to Goudkust to offer expertise and productivity for the advancement of the worker. The new government has continued to mimic that of the Netherlands in function, but ambitious plans have been put forward for national control of vital resources. This has come in conjunction with plans to accelerate the development of a national healthcare and pension system. Amsterdam has mostly approved of these developments, encouraging the growth and progress of their commonwealth. Unfortunately, the declaration has not done much to actually attract immigrants, as the Americas and Europe continue to remain preferable places for habitation than a young African nation.

HEALTH CARE DISPUTE IN HOLLANDIA. Mombasa, Hollandia. The Hollandian government has faced a new political dispute as the Liberal Party has challenged the Nationalist Party’s efforts at a national healthcare system. Stadtsholder Falk van Aarle has come under criticism for allowing the national health system to become not much than a front for a trade in slavery and prostitution. In theory the system provides healthcare to both white and black residents of Hollandia, creating separate but equal treatment. Unfortunately, according to the allegations of the Liberals, what has happened is that blacks who enter in for treatment seldom leave. They state that they are subjugated to inhuman testing and imprisonment, as females are frequently raped or sold into slavery among others. The Nationalist Party has denied these claims, stating that the experimentation undertaken by the health care system has been for the advancement of universal medical knowledge and well within the constraints of good morality. They have refused further investigation into the matter, and no evidence has materialized against them to date.

LIBYA DISBANDS CONSCRIPTS. Tripoli, Libya. Strong political pressure was put upon Prime Minister Iqbal Mihayshi this year to release the large amount of conscripts still in uniform from the Tunis War. The detrimental effect to national morale and the economy has been duly afflicted and reduced from the cost of maintaining so many men in arms. Opponents of maintained conscription have stated that with the liberation of Tunis and Egypt, the people of Libya are free from external threat by land, and are not in need of a large standing force. Upon discussion within the highest echelons of the military and government, officials agreed with critics and throughout the year over thirty brigades of varying types have been disbanded and sent home. Prime Minister Mihayshi has said that he treasures this time of peace and prosperity, and hopes that those returning home will make the best of their new skills and experiences they had while serving in the Holy Army of Libya.

ORANJIEN ANNOUNCES PUBLIC FUND. Christiansburg, Oranjien. The government of the African state of Oranjien has begun to follow after their Argentine patrons with the development of the new Oranjien Public Development Fund. The new fund’s first emphasis is upon the creation of a new highway system much like those which have begun to crisscross South America. The military and economic benefit of such a program is obvious, which is why it exists as the foundation of the audacious plan. Funding for the Public Development Fund has been listed as a forty year plan, helping to maintain modern standards of living and production for decades to come. New sanitation, parks, and other infrastructure are planned to be worked upon in addition to the new highways. These traditional improvements will help improve the quality of life in Oranjien, and it is hoped maintain the nation’s reputation as one of the most prosperous and peaceful places to live within Africa.

NEW ALLIANCE ESTABLISHED. Harare, Mutapa. The recent growth of Chokweland and continuing military activities in Burundi have remained a cause for concern among neighboring states. While Zambia has sought to bolster its protection by building impressive new border fortifications, they have viewed this as not potent enough. Therefore the nations of Mutapa and Zambia have created a combined defensive pact in the hopes of forestalling further Chokwe aggression and growth. They have pledged that in the wake of a new attack by the Chokwe against their neighbors, they would act to contain the assaults. With the establishment of this alliance, both governments have issued warnings to the Chokwe, not to seek to impose its will or aggression on any further states. The treaty has been reinforced by plans for military cooperation and exchange of technologies, allowing for greater support in the event that a war should occur.

News from the Far East​

TSUNAMI STRIKES AKARANA. Akarana, New Zealand. The government of New Zealand faced a dire challenge from the seas this year, as a moderate earthquake spurred a major tsunami north of the island nation’s capital of Akarana. The waves created also struck parts of Dutch New Guinea, but the significant damage was done predominantly to New Zealand’s central city. Thousands are missing and presumed dead, and many more have been confirmed to be injured, including several members of the Royal Family. Significant damage was done to the city’s main port, wrecking ships, warehouses, and any other building along the waterfront. Military forces have been deployed to the area, and the port has been closed due to the large amount of wreckage blocking traffic. All imports and exports have been directed to Rochaville and smaller harbors throughout the north island. King Pablo has stated that he mourns along with the rest of the population, and that full efforts will be made by both the democratic government and the monarchy to ease the suffering and repair the damages caused by vengeful nature.

ELECTIONS IN TIBET. Lhasa, Tibet. The Tibetan government has undergone their second ever elections cycle this year, as the Citizen’s Party defends its majority against any other challengers. First Citizen Chodak Gyadatsang has continued to preach the benefits of political neutrality and the continuation of the economic revival plan, which has already had some limited success. The nation has sought to become more modern and accepted by the Western cultures, while retaining the culture and governance that makes it unique. The successes of the conservatives of the Citizen’s Party and new economic growth has helped spur the conservatives to victory once more. The First Citizen has been allowed to continue on in his current position and remain the head of government for Tibet. It is hoped that under his leadership, Tibet will have another six fine years of growth and prosperity for all of its people.

THE FIREWORKS WAR. Peking, Japan. In what many have begun referring to as the Year of Decision, the Fireworks has reached a violent climax, as new offensives are launched and everything is at stake. In the south, where the war concluded last year, the Red Army has continued a harsh push against Guangxi’s forces, driving towards Xinjing, hoping to capture it and force the British out of the war. While the advance was initially successful, a determined defense by the British and their Dominion forces stopped the Red Army cold, as attacks were bloodied and repulsed. Flanking assaults led by British armor later in the year came with the release of a new secret weapon by the British. New strategic rockets were deployed sowing chaos in Chinese rear areas, which had been previously thought to be safe from barrage or attack. Supply dumps and logistics were thrown into confusion, as the British and Guangxi accompanied this long range barrage with a massive offensive. After the losses sustained early in the year, the Red Army was brutally mauled by the new attack, being routed and forced to retreat. The flanking attack managed to cut off the spearhead of the Red Army, along with a goodly number of soldiers, who were slowly pushed and cornered in the town of Hengyeng. Here, the first and largest surrender of a Red Army group has taken place, as they ran out of supplies and had no room to escape. The Red Army’s woes were compounded as nearly two million Japanese soldiers were unleashed upon the north at the same time as the British offensive. The Japanese mimicked the Red Army and launched their attack at night, and caught the enemy off guard. Reports from the field indicate that Japanese armored and mechanized divisions may be deploying new technology that gives them unprecedented abilities of sight in dark conditions without revealing their own positions. Japan’s arms ministry has denied these claims, attributing victory on the battlefield to the army’s skill and fervor. Armor broke numerous holes in the Chinese lines, and Japanese forces have surged forward, winning battle after battle as forces from the Shandong Peninsula meet up with the rest of the army. Eventually the attacks slowed as the Chinese have consolidated along a new defensive line, though at the end of the year, the Red Army has continued to be pushed back on all fronts.
Casualty Lists
Guangxi: 100 Conscript Brigades, 4 Infantry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades (+1 Army Quality)
Japan: 202 Conscript Brigades, 11 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Type-92 Armored Brigade, 2 Artillery Brigades, 1 Storno-type Fighter Squadron (+1 Army Quality, +1 Air Force Quality)
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland: 8 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 1 Mk2 Cataphract Armored Brigade, 1 Artillery Brigade, 1 Praetorian-class Destroyer
Red Army: 351 Conscript Brigades, 16 Infantry Brigades, 1 Cavalry Brigade, 12 Artillery Brigades, 10 Necessity-class River Boats, 4 RM-24 Fighter Squadrons (+1 Army Quality)

THE KOREAN REBELLION. Seoul, Japan. Much as they have in the larger war to the south, the tides have begun to turn in the battle for Korea as the Japanese and Korean rebels continue to struggle. Japan surprised their enemy earlier in the year with an unexpected attack across the Rangnim Mountains. The Koreans did not expect such an attack after several years of the area being fairly vacant of Japanese soldiers. The Koreans rushed what they could into the defense, but they were thrown into the fight piecemeal and destroyed in detail. As a last desperate bid to consolidate their positions, the Koreans threw a new frenzied attack into taking Seoul, but the result was a slaughter, as the reinforced Japanese held back everything thrown at them. The fighting was chaotic, but the Japanese emerged victorious, and the Koreans were routed from the front. The two main Japanese forces were then united, as they continue to fight against the diminishing Korean threat.
Casualty Lists
Japan: 77 Conscript Brigades, 1 Type-92 Armored Brigade, 2 Artillery Brigades
Korea: 93 Conscript Brigades, 6 Infantry Brigades, 1 Equality-type Armored Brigade, 14 Artillery Brigades (+1 Army Quality)

AUSTRALIA SCALES BACK IRRIGATION PLANNING. Sydney, Australia. The Australian government, after receiving extensive criticism about the high cost and time contribution to the irrigation of the nation’s outback, has begun to revise the plans for the effort. Rather than being a broad effort to gradually improve the whole of the nation, it has been reformed to take one section of the large countryside at a time. The more populated areas will receive work before any others, and the progression will eventually be made to more rural and remote regions. The goals are to help improve life predominantly along the eastern coast of Britain’s largest Dominion, helping increase local farming as well as sanitation. The construction is well underway, though critics still claim that the nation should be focused military modernization and development, as a new major war could break out at any time.

KAZAKHS LAUNCH PURGE. Kyzyl-Su, Kazakhstan. The disunity of the Kazakh armed forces has been a matter of grave concern for the monarchy, particularly as tensions grow between Russia and Iran. Attempts to invite the Russians in to assist in restoring unity of command throughout 1937 met mostly with failure, but a new offensive has been launched this year. Forces loyal to the king, backed by the Emperor’s Hand launched an offensive to kill or imprison every wayward general or tribal leader not backing the government in Kyzyl-Su. The operation met with more success this time, as the most powerful of the rogue generals have been executed by the king’s men, leaving their forces quickly brought under government control. Unfortunately, a few leaders and soldiers have managed to escape and appeal for asylum in Iran, hoping to avoid the retribution of their monarch. Some units have also disbanded into the countryside, creating irregular bandits, causing trouble for villages and soldiers throughout the kingdom. (-2 Infantry Brigades)

RED ARMY BEGINS OPERATIONS IN CHINA. Lanzhou, China. For a long time, the Red Army has not carried out operations throughout the former Ascendant Kingdom in western China, this has changed this year. A new cell of the Red Army has begun putting up posters and making radio broadcasts calling for the Chinese people to unite against the Japanese and British. They have called the government of Marshal Yehao Ma cowardly for not staying in arms against Guangxi and helping the Red Army finish the job. They have all but accused the Chinese government of failing to take the interests of the people in favor of money and pittances from the British and Japanese. The government has refused to make an official comment upon the growing propaganda campaign against it, and the Red Army has remained highly proactive in their efforts to sway the will of the people. Representatives of the Chinese government in Xinjing have proclaimed their commitment to peace, and helped calm Western fears about a new escalation of the dwindling Fireworks War.

INDIAN CIVIL WAR. Bombay, India. After the war took a small recess last year as both sides took a breath before a new round of major hostilities, fighting has taken up a new crescendo throughout 1938. The year’s campaigns began as the Federalist army hoped to reclaim control over the northern provinces, which have been isolated from Kalinga and the other armies in the south. The attack was spearheaded by a substantial amount of armor and weaponry, hoping to use superior arms and training to break enemy lines. While they did have some initial successes, the Regionalists managed to respond with a number of localized counterattacks across the front. Combined with dogged resistance in a number of locations, the Federalists were mostly halted across the board, as the overall front remains locked firmly in place. The halt of the Federalist attack encouraged Kalinga and the regionalists in the south to launch an offensive of their own, hoping that the Federalists were still reeling from defeats earlier in the year. Unfortunately, the Federalists had just moved up fresh reinforcements and troops into the theater and were expecting just this advance. Ambushes were set in place, and the allied armies suffered heavy casualties in their attacks, being routed and fleeing from the front. The only merit to the battle was that the Federalists did not seem to realize the extent of their victory, following up the repulsion of the regionalists with only a minor offensive. Casualties have mounted throughout the other parts of the year as minor skirmishing continues, but most foreign observers have labeled the year as a stalemate, and unlikely to have been decisive for the overall outcome of the conflict.
Casualty Lists
India (Federalist): 82 Conscript Brigades, 2 Infantry Brigades, 3 Artillery Brigades (+1 Army Quality)
India (Regionalist): 83 Conscript Brigades (+1 Army Quality)
Kalinga: 24 Conscript Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades (+1 Army Quality)

REVOLUTION THROWS OUT JAPANESE IN PHILIPPINES. Manila, Philippines. After years of preparation and limited warfare, the Filipinos have at last taken the great plunge and launched an open rebellion against Japan. After having previously secured all but official control of most of the smaller islands, the combined forces of the rebels have led an assault on Luzon, the heart of Japanese power in the islands. Using a fleet of fishing boats and other makeshift craft, the rebels landed on Luzon, and began their advance upon Manila. The garrison commander of the Japanese did his best to meet the rebels on the battlefield, entrenching positions to the east and north of the city to block the attack. With all reinforcements and support going instead to the fronts in Korea and China, very little of any sort of supplies or replacements were available to the besieged garrison. They fought to the bitter end, resisting the Filipinos with fanatical devotion as their casualties mounted. Through sheer force of numbers, the Filipinos broke through Japanese lines and eventually rooted them out of all of their strongholds. With the triumphant capture of Manila, the Filipinos have declared a new Republic of the Philippines, and claimed that they have succeeded in arms against the might Japanese where the Chinese and Koreans have failed.
Casualty Lists
Japan: 7 Infantry Brigades, 2 Artillery Brigades
Philippines: 14 Infantry Brigades

NEW ZEALAND COMPLETES ROCHAVILLE CONSTRUCTION. Rochaville, New Zealand. The opening of the southern island of New Zealand to settlement has been a process besieged by difficulties and complications. The local Maori and other political concerns have delayed matters, but for a time was a lack of any useful port or modern facilities for the shipment of supplies to would-be settlers. This has changed with the completion of the new port of Rochaville, creating a new doorway for immigrants into the interior of the south island. The port includes the most modern in naval facilities, as well as a lengthy airfield capable of landing the largest aircraft currently available to modern companies and production. The city has been created with vacant blocks of land for inevitable growth and modern layouts for the roadways, prepared for automotive travel and a linked mass transit system. Prime Minister Artistides Erico has stated that Rochaville is a model for the city of the future, demonstrating New Zealand’s foresight and abilities for construction and development.

Financial Section​

PORTUGAL AND OCCITANIA ENTER NEW TRADE AGREEMENTS. Lisbon, Portugal. In an effort to spur trade and development between the two nations, the governments of Occitania and Portugal have signed two new treaties. These treaties have been marked to help develop commerce between the two states, creating new markets for locally produced goods. The first such agreement granted Occitania rights to Portuguese jet engine technology for military purposes and associated ideas which have since become void almost as quickly as they were released. The second treaty agreed upon has established free trade between the two, a policy which has been harshly criticized in Portugal. Portuguese business have stated that the protective legislation that has existed in the past has proven a strong buffer to the people and prevented the undermining of the vital arms and aeronautical industries by foreign interests. They have decried the treaty as a threat to domestic economic interests, reducing the credibility of the reigning party and producing a credible threat for next year’s elections.

FINANCIAL FLUCTUATION REPORT. Novgorod, Russia
Spoiler :

Afghanistan: +1 EP
Angola: -1 EP
Argentina: +7 EP
Aztlan: -2 EP
Benin: +2 EP
Brazil: +9 EP
Bulgaria: -1 EP
Burgundy: +1 EP
Chad: -1 EP
Chile: +2 EP
Colombia: +1 EP
Croatia: -1 EP
Cuba: -3 EP
Denmark: -1 EP
Egypt: +1 EP
Euskadi: -1 EP
Flanders: -1 EP
Germany: -2 EP
Hispaniola: -1 EP
Hungary: -2 EP
Iran: -1 EP
Japan: -2 EP
Libya: +2 EP
Mayaland: +1 EP
Netherlands: -2 EP
New Zealand: +1 EP
Nicaragua: -1 EP
Occitania: +1 EP
Oranjien: +1 EP
Orleans: -1 EP
Paraguay: +3 EP
Paris: +1 EP
Peru: +3 EP
Poitou: -1 EP
Portugal: -2 EP
Puerto Rico: -1 EP
Roman Empire: -1 EP
Russia: -2 EP
Sardinia: -1 EP
Scandinavia: -3 EP
Serbia: -1 EP
Spain: +2 EP
Tibet: +2 EP
Turkey: -1 EP
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland: -2 EP
United Proletarist Republics of America: -3 EP
Venezuela: +2 EP
Vinland: +1 EP

The Sports Page​

VINLANDIC ATHLETIC FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED. Nya Stockholm, Vinland. As the world continues to seethe in turmoil, the Vinlandic people continue to focus on the better things in life. Despite disappointing performance at the Olympics in 1936, the sport of varukorgboll continues to possess a special place in the heart of Vinland. Greatest interest remains in local teams and competitions, though the nation remains proud as the Vinlandic team dominates in the yearly international matches with Scandinavia and others. The Vinlandic Athletic Foundation or Vinlandska Friidrottsförbundet has been established with the support of the government, creating funding for sports other than varukorgboll, and advocating a healthy body for all Vinlanders. The effort has been widely applauded, but some have accused Statsminister Mika Saari of the using the athletics program to divert attention of the masses and politicians from more pressing issues of national security.

The Cultural Center​

Thacker Broadcasting Network
The rise of popularity in the new television has led to the return of the notorious Protestant preacher, Lynton Thacker. After returning to Argentina years ago during the crisis with Chile, Lynton Thacker has continued to be a known radio preacher, but has made a push into a new market. With ample financial support and funding, The Thacker Broadcasting Network has proven to be the most successful televisual organization in Argentina. They have provided sermons, the news, and a number of family entertainment programs for the mass audience. TBN has overnight become a major business, as Thacker continues to use it to propagate his own faith and ideal version of Protestant Christianity. The network has further set a standard for all other televisual broadcasting in South America, as every backyard network tries to emulate it for their own success.

Vista Al Lado De Carretera
Vista Al Lado De Carretera is a stylized autobiography of the author’s, Juan Alzate, horse and motorcycle ride across Venezuela and Colombia, sleeping in parks and barns and working odd jobs where he could. Though autobiographical, it is also highly philosophical as well, often intertwined with a sort of disjointed though aesthetically pleasing poetry, and includes snippets of almost formal interviews. His viewpoint is distinctly anti-authority of any kind. He immerses himself in the common, poorer people and it is from this viewpoint that he chronicles the rise of prohibition and the moralist party. He discusses the time he spent amongst the refugees of the ‘great fire’ and the anger they felt towards government and big industry. He chronicles his time amongst the unemployed (great depression victims) and in particular the ‘drifters’, those who left their homes in search of better places and found themselves drifting from town to town, always on the outside of communities and never able to really put down roots. His work is also distinctly personal; he discusses being robbed on a train outside Medelin, the illness that laid him low in an aboriginal village in the south, and the intense hunger of not having enough to eat. It is incredibly well written and its viewpoint is original and personal and this is what has led to publication despite a lack of classical coherent narrative.

Random Stat Changes and Fluctuations and Minor Technological Advances

Colombia designs Fuerza Aérea Colombiana (FAC) Copali Helicopter.

Croatian navy suffers decline as retiring officers receive less capable replacements: -1 Navy Quality for Croatia.

Flemish navy learns new lessons from observations with Dutch naval officers: +1 Navy Quality for Flanders.

Diplomatic Pouch

To: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

We seek to purchase a modern battleship from your shipyards. We’re willing to offer 35 EP for construction costs and delivery.

To: Japan

You are waging a war on two fronts already, and therefore we are inclined to be generous. Should you recognize the full independence of the Philippines from Japanese imperial rule, we would be willing to respect property rights of Japanese business. Furthermore, we would be willing to allow use of naval facilities for Japanese naval purposes, though we cannot accept the presence of the army on our soil. If you accept these terms, we can be at peace. If you choose war, we will fight you for every city, rock, and island across our republic, and your empire will suffer all the more.

OOC

@Christos: I’ve thought about it, and I don’t think Central Africa really fits your nation ICly. I mean, I can’t think of any reason anyone would care about the name change, but at the same time, it just doesn’t seem very plausible that it would take place. Additionally, we already have an “Interior Africa” and I’d prefer more original names in the area. I mean, you arguably aren’t even in Central Africa. Chokweland just fits your nation much better, so it will remain the same unless you can come up with something that could work within the context of the history and background of the NES and region.

Due to proliferation, helicopter, jet engines, and small rocket designs and modules can now be developed by all. Any SRPs related to either are now considered complete. This is of course what happens when multiple people are overgenerous with designs, products, and technology itself. Large rocket (i.e. designable ones) will still require introductory research should you choose to pursue them.

You may notice a change in number/consistency of stability events for the moment. That is because I’m doing some initial testing for the new Program in terms of these sort of events and elections. 1938 and 1939 will be a short period of transition before full implementation in the 1940 update. The updates as a whole may be a bit shorter than previous ones due to this.

@Crezth: You were 20 EP short on the military modernization. This was taken out of conscript recruitment.

Per his request, Ahigin has been dropped from Turkey.

For those who care, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan have been moved to the Far East section of stats.

World Map

Spoiler :

Hmm, how did small rockets go to everyone? Did someone else get them and hand them out like candy?

Yes, delicious, explosive, candy.

My stats do not reflect this part of my orders.

Domestic Spending
  • Agricultural Modernization (2): Continue to subsidize modern agricultural techniques. Hold multi-location ‘Third Annual National Farming Fair” (HELL YEAH!!!!) throughout the nation to celebrate Farmers and Agriculture, both food and commercial, and to introduce farmers to new farming techniques (think like huge USA state fairs with pony rides and tractor pulls and cotton candy, etc)(chemical fertilizer, modern mechanical tractors, etc)
    this is our third year doing this- hopefully it starting to pay some dividents both with food and commercial agriculture, as well as with Colombian tractor manufacturers
  • Colombian Intelligence (3): [snip- oops] Otherwise focus on counter-intelligence.
  • Education (9): These funds will be move more and more from central to peripheral control- it will be up to the municipalities, counties, etc. They can fund public or religious education as they see fit, as long as its in Spanish and adheres to certain basic national standards.
  • Infrastructure (2); Watch the pipeline and refinery, as well as the canal, ensuring everything is maintained, safe, and tip-top.
  • Oversight and Security (2): Watch for corruption within the national government and within the subnational government divisions (especially as we decentralize). Also focus on ensuring that Bolivar is financially regulated to prevent organized crime, tax-evasion, or other major financial crimes (see below under ‘a note on bolivar’).
  • Tourism and Immigration (2): Make sure the signage in Bolivar and the major cities is multi-lingual. Invest in foreign advertising for Colombian tourism. Beautify areas beyond Bolivar (Bolivar should already be beautiful). Provide low-interest loans to companies operating in the tourism sector. Add some police to the public areas to prevent crimes against tourists. Etcetera.

Did you decide that that was too much detail or otherwise inappropriate?

I already wrote about a farming fair today, at work. Didn't want to do that twice. Just doesn't really seem to be relevant to the update at hand.

I already wrote about a farming fair today, at work. Didn't want to do that twice. Just doesn't really seem to be relevant to the update at hand.

Haha...

no - i meant my domestic policies (in my stats) don't reflect this spending. I'm at -20 spending but only have like 4 of the projects totaling less than 20.

Top Bottom