DLCs

Didn't Denmark launch with a map pack? It's not impossible that they would include a civ with it. I haven't looked at their numbers, but I would guess the civs tend to sell better, no idea about the return on investment involved of course.

Canada was called "Province of Canada" until 1867 when it became a "Dominion". Even then it was still a semi-independent nation, it would became full independent by the WWII.

This is close, but not correct. Canada was independent of (what is now) the United Kingdom . When it became a Dominion, it gained its own 'Prime Minister' who is appointed by the throne to serve as the Royal Family's first minister and lead the country's government.

Canada remained part of the British Commonwealth, however, and still does today (though it is now called the "Commonwealth of Nations"). Like today, the United Kingdom had its own Prime Minister (Edward Smith apparently) and Canada had John MacDonald. They were equals- just like today.

The confusion of Canada gaining sovereignty in 1982 (*well* after 1939 as you state) is due to the fact that there was no precedence for any of this. To grant Canada Dominion status, the British government was required to pass a law in its own House of Lords, thereby making it a British law and not a Canadian one :crazyeye:

The Canadian Act of 1982 (where gained 'sovereignty') was merely a formality: As Canada's Confederation was a British Law, it was required to be kept in the U.K instead of Canada- so any amendments to Canada's constitution made by Canada was required to be written down by the British Parliament. Any law the British passed, however, had no affect on Canada (unless Canada gave consent).

This wasn't changed until 1982 because it was all a major headache and the Provinces bickered over what should be changed at the same time. For example, Quebec was against the act because the other provinces sought to remove their veto.

This whole mess actually required a new word to describe the process: It's been coined 'Patriation' and you can read more of it at Wikipedia here

Countries that became independent in 20th century are a bad choice for civ game.

It's odd that you speak of "countries" in a game of "Civilizations" ;) Canada actually a country 4 years before Germany became a country 1871. You're looking at only 140 years there for Germany- should it be removed?

The fact that Sid Meier is a Canadian citizen, and it hasn't made an appearance yet as a Civilization suggests that there's more than when a country came into existence however.

(Rise of Nations' attempt to unsuccessfully omit the United States comes to mind)

Canada
When World War I came, it was forced to join the Allies because it was part of the British Commonwealth.

Canada was not forced to join in World War I- it did so willingly. It wasn't required to join the First and Second Boer wars in the late 19th Century, either, however as English and French Canadians were divided on the second Boer War, then Prime Minister Laurier sent volunteers (which was essentially Canada's first Peace Keeping operation).

You can read about the Canada in the Boer War here

Note that we Canadians don't typically refer to it as the 'Second' Boer War because we didn't participate in the first one at all (1880-1881).

As an aside, Canada delay joining the U.K and France in WWII for exactly one week to specifically make the point that it was independent- the Statue of Westminster had nothing to do with it.

Didn't Denmark launch with a map pack? It's not impossible that they would include a civ with it. I haven't looked at their numbers, but I would guess the civs tend to sell better, no idea about the return on investment involved of course.

To try and get back on topic, I believe Denmark and the Map Pack were originally released seperately and bundled together.

The fact that it's only a 'Map Pack' in the name does kind of suggest there won't be any Civs...but I'm hopeful it'll have more than just a few maps in it.

Especially if it's the last of the DLC.

This is close, but not correct. Canada was independent of (what is now) the United Kingdom . When it became a Dominion, it gained its own 'Prime Minister' who is appointed by the throne to serve as the Royal Family's first minister and lead the country's government.

Yeah, yeah whatever, constantly trying to say we were "independent". You were a colony and accept it. Just like I accept that my country was under the Ottoman rule for centuries, it would be nice of you to do the same.

It's odd that you speak of "countries" in a game of "Civilizations" ;) Canada actually a country 4 years before Germany became a country 1871. You're looking at only 140 years there for Germany- should it be removed?

Canada and Germany are two countries that cannot be compared in any way.

BTW, welcome to Civfanatcs ;)

It's definitely map packs.

As for a new civ in a dlc ... it'll be Canada. CN tower is in the game and Canada is not. Also, there are many Canadian fans. Lastly, Canada's history and geography allow for a large range of possible uniques which would most likely result in an interesting, unique civ.

Germany is essentially the successor to the Kingdom of Prussia (IE it's Prussia and all of the lands that got absorbed into it renamed to form a united national identity), which had been around for quite some time and was the dominant land power in Europe. Bismarck, the leader of Germany in Civ, made his name by creating the German nation out of the Prussian state and then forming a truly formidable autocratic power in the face of the freedom-mongering British and French. I sincerely doubt you can draw a leader out of Canadian history with as much influence on history as him.

I can't stop laughing after reading this.
Indeed, I think somebody's nationalism is going just a tad too far. :lol:

Brazil exerted influence over the states surrounding it. That's more than Mexico and Canada can ever lay claim to; they've spent their histories functioning as Civ styled city-states under either British or American control, and they still are today.

With how bored I am of the current maps, some new interesting maps could bring more excitement to the game for me than releasing two unworthy civs that don't belong in the game. I want a map with a nice combination of islands and continents, but that don't put all the city-states on islands, and diverse terrain. A map that requires you to use both your navy and ground troops. I'm tired of maps that are just one chunk of land or two chunks of land, with a large ocean in between. Or to get islands, you have to sacrifice continents altogether and it's all islands, that's all you get.

I would much prefer some more fun maps than playing as Canada. What could they possibly make Canada's unique features to make them a fun, unique civ, eh?

woot. I want a world that has island chains, small continents, large continents, etc. If they finally give that to us I'd be ecstatic. Further, I want citystates on islands, peninsulas, and in the mainland itself. A map likes this makes every civ that relies on terrain have a fair shake.

Germany is essentially the successor to the Kingdom of Prussia (IE it's Prussia and all of the lands that got absorbed into it renamed to form a united national identity), which had been around for quite some time and was the dominant land power in Europe. Bismarck, the leader of Germany in Civ, made his name by creating the German nation out of the Prussian state and then forming a truly formidable autocratic power in the face of the freedom-mongering British and French. I sincerely doubt you can draw a leader out of Canadian history with as much influence on history as him.

Not only did he have big influence in Germany, but on the world as a whole.

IMHO,
History, Contribution, World Stage Status and etc. < Large % of Fan Support.

IDT that country age matter on which Civilization would they add. If 90% of Players would want Taiwan, Ghana, Bhutan in Civ5, IDT that it would be impossible.

I'd just like a few simple scenarios, I know most of them are achievable with mods, but some of the ideas are so obvious they need to be supported

True start locations, without mods, for city states as well. I want to learn some geography as I play.

Religious wars pack - Could be done with Rome,Byzantine/Turks, Arabia, might be good to represent the rise of atheism/science. Trade and espionage would be extremely important. maybe disble culture and tourism for some variety/simplicity. Again events could be educational (to an extent)

Spanish Civil War/WW2 Pack - Being able to fight in europe, the Pacific or Africa or everywhere at once(I've tried Red but my pc couldn't cope, and I'm on the beta now). Preferably I'd like to see tactical objectives...eg YOU WILL evacuate at Dunkirk/destroy historical objectives or face severe penalties (possibly even being retired/dismissed as commander)

Vietnam/cold war, Spanish Armada, 1000AD starts...Basically "real-world up until the year ... starts, so I could take the Falklands with nukes and GDRs.

Most of this could be done without any new Civs or Graphics, and many would say that to achieve this all that needs to be done is allow steam achievments with mods. Ok, but then I spend 20% of my gaming time looking for them, and probably 40% testing them.

and +1+1+1+1 to the updated conquest of new world, we're owed that really. Shostone might make it difficult though.

Didn't find this mentioned here anywhere:

According to the german magazine PC Games both new DLCs will be map packs with new scripts like the one from the africa scenario with static boundary but randomly generated interior. The first map pack which according to them should be out already (but apparently isn't) includes maps of Africa, Eastern Asia, North- and South-America, Western Europe, Near East and an ice-free Antactica. In addition to those semi-randomly generated maps new scripts for small continents, Oceania and a world map are supposedly included for a price of 4.49 €. The second DLC should be out on November 5th for the same price with maps of Canada, Australia, Japan, Scandinavia, Great Britain and China generated in the same way.

Source: http://www.pcgames.de/Civilization-5-PC-234217/News/Civilization-5-Zwei-neue-Kartenpakete-vorgestellt-1092758/

Got to point this out. You are right the proper name/nation germany was founded.
But keep in mind we "Germans" dont call us Germans.
We say Deutsch/Deutscher, this has a big history and i dont like to push it here.
But the point is we are all "Germanen" (Germans) for you
[offtopic], maybe but let me ask you where the Germanen taking any important rule in 1871?

Nice discussion btw...

But the point is we are all "Germanen" (Germans) for you
Speaking as a linguist, this is just plain wrong. It's like saying we're all Alemanni to the French or Saxons to the Finns. It's just how languages work.

Anyhow, no DLC yet. I want more content! :D

The main menu now has a link to a "Scrambled Continents Map Pack" - however, it doesn't seem to be up yet in the Steam Store as the link leads back to the main page.

Ok, a bit underwhelming. One had hoped there would be *some* sort of goodies included, like some new resources, natural wonders, or whatever, even if no new civs, just to make it worth it. But I might get tempted at some point.

whats the point of making maps for dlc. im making my own maps so im not interested at all for this dlc.. everyone can make maps so why cant they add some other stuff to the game instead..

Top Bottom