New DLCs incoming (Gamespot article)

Tried few starts with the new Small Continents map, played a turn and retired to see the map.

A damn fine script, just what I've been looking for. Continents, island chains, smaller continents.. looks good. And now that AI Indonesia will try to colonize islands, might work for them well. :)

The new Oceania script seems cool too, gotta try it next.

Ca you post screenies of new small continents map pretty plese? :mischief:
I really want to see it before making up my decision :)

Pretty sure small continents is the same as the one already in the game, it is just the "plus" version like how we have continents plus and pangaea plus.

This really just reminds me of those CDs you could buy in the 90s with "hundreds of new maps for command&conquer" and whatnot, and it was just empty multiplayer maps.

Nickle and dime your customers at every chance you get, they'll be sure to remember.

This really just reminds me of those CDs you could buy in the 90s with "hundreds of new maps for command&conquer" and whatnot, and it was just empty multiplayer maps.

Nickle and dime your customers at every chance you get, they'll be sure to remember.

What's your problem? Noone's forcing you to buy it.

I don't get why people complain about the price. Especially after such a huge free patch that they've obviously worked a lot on. Consider the DLC an optional tip to Firaxis for exellent support of Civ 5 :hatsoff:

Its available for $4 at Green Man Gaming. Just use the code for 20% off on PC downloads found on the front page.

*snip*

A screenshot of the Middle East map. The sizes for it range from Duel to Large.

Looove the fact that nearly all City-States are on the coast (despite the vast amounts of space in the middle of the map)! :D Lots of room to expand with no annoying City-States the way! Also Makes the Portuguese player in me happy! :lol: Although this is probably not the best map for Portugal...

Tried few starts with the new Small Continents map, played a turn and retired to see the map.

A damn fine script, just what I've been looking for. Continents, island chains, smaller continents.. looks good. And now that AI Indonesia will try to colonize islands, might work for them well. :)

The new Oceania script seems cool too, gotta try it next.

Can you post pics? Pretty please? :p Small Continents is one map script I really like when playing seafaring civilizations, and it's what interests me the most in this DLC... :)

Yeah, those CDs back then would cost $19.95 and now people complain about $4.99, waiting to save $2?!? Sheesh, they put out a large Fall Patch (full of new things, not just fixing old things), not to mention other large patches (as they have since Civ2, Civ3 and esp. Civ4) - all free of charge and yet people still are ungrateful and complaining.

At least we got Canada and Australia. I mean, I'm still super bummed they aren't civs, but.......

Oh who am I kidding... I'm super bummed.

I don't get it. Why are people bummed? I mean, the name we knew was clear: Map pack. MAP pack!

Personally, I am looking forward to try out the new scripts. The concept of 'given outline, randomized filling' is new to the civilization franchise and can only be used in one BNW scenario so far, but not in a free game. I think, this is a worthwhlile addition!

Additionally, I am absolutely sure that creating map scripts like this is nothing that can be done in one afternoons work. There is development involved, there is testing needed. Its not just a premade map!
Even more: There are are new/enhanced full random sripts, too!

Nobody is forced to buy this DLC and I can understand that some would prefer new civs instead. I would buy them, too.
But 3,60 € (GMG with voucher) seems to be a reasonable price for the new scripts.

Here's small continents plus:

Attachments

• 8930_2013-10-16_00001.jpg
    8930_2013-10-16_00001.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 3,507
What's your problem? Noone's forcing you to buy it.

My unrelated problem is that this game is still €60 to buy new with BNW, which is a lot of money.

My related problem is that their release map scripts are pretty bad and good scripts should be part of the game, not another charge on top of it.

And this is the Oceania-type map script:

Attachments

• 8930_2013-10-16_00002.jpg
    8930_2013-10-16_00002.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 3,534
Description: "A new approach to the original Small Continents map, adding sprawling island chains and better continent generation."

I looked through the file and used a plugin to compare the code with the original Small Continents.

It looks like it's basically Small Continents with the IslandMaker code included and applied to GeneratePlotTypes. Nearly all other values are the same, except for sea levels.

Also, the "better continent generation" is basically supported by the lower sea levels it uses, for less snaky continents. The original Small Continents used a Normal sea level of 75% and a Low of 69%. This one uses 72% and 65%. Additionally, tectonic islands and island chains further reduce that a bit, for even more land. I don't think the island chains code overlaps and adds onto the existing land plots generated the same way tectonic islands do (which is also applied in this script, just like the original), they need space and are placed in water. Also, For reference, Continents uses a Normal of 72% and a Low of 67% and doesn't decrease further because it doesn't get tectonic islands or island chains applied. So, with this map script, you're getting a lot more land! Expect lots of hostile natives in the fog! :viking:

Nonetheless, it produces some nice results, and the extra islands create even more passageways to link the world for early exploration and contacts. Though, I think I would recommend using a low sea level, to avoid nearly all coastal settlements and excessive choke points which may cripple the tactical AI; and mountain chains just exacerbate the issue. It could even lead to a lot of frustrations with the player as you're shuffling units around. (1UPT needs space! :D)

Alright, went ahead and took some screenshots of stuff that hasn't been posted. There seems to be a *chance* of having a TSL for some of these, at least? In Western Europe as the Dutch and in Africa as the Zulu I started on a TSL, and for Africa (in which I seeded a few more African civs) Morocco spawned on a TSL as well, with Egypt and Ethiopia being close to it - it might be dependent on where city-states spawn and how the terrain is. Note the insane crater in the Africa map, too. They all seem pretty big for Standard size maps (which is what I put the settings on - you could definitely add a few more civs in here for more battles. One really cool thing is that on South America and Africa civs seem to spawn at the coasts, while all the city-states are hidden inside - which makes for some genuine exploring of continents, like colonists.

All in all, these all look pretty damn amazing. With the GMG discount, I'm totally happy with these.

Attachments

• 2013-10-16_00006.jpg
    2013-10-16_00006.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 3,420
  • 2013-10-16_00005.jpg
    2013-10-16_00005.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 3,470
  • 2013-10-16_00004.jpg
    2013-10-16_00004.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 3,390
  • 2013-10-16_00003.jpg
    2013-10-16_00003.jpg