Most Common Natural Wonder

MaDaZi

Chieftain
I'd been playing a lot as Spain recently, and many of the times I'd started, I'm able to found my 2nd city next to Lake Victoria.

It's really weird

Most wonders are just as common as Lake Victoria, it's just that some wonders have been given less chance to appear. Solomon's mines is less common, also Potosi, even less common is Eldorado and the least common wonder is the Fountain of Youth.
I should check this to be sure, but I believe all other wonders have an equal chance of appearing.

EDIT: I checked, see my post further down if you're interested: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12927258&postcount=18.

Most wonders are just as common as Lake Victoria, it's just that some wonders have been given less chance to appear. Solomon's mines is less common, also Potosi, even less common is Eldorado and the least common wonder is the Fountain of Youth.
I should check this to be sure, but I believe all other wonders have an equal chance of appearing.

Yes...this is what I find. Yet I find things that confuse me a bit about the Natural Wonder selection algorithm....

I do a lot of "re-rolling" when I play as Spain...mainly because without a good natural wonder, I find the civ to be a bit of a bore....there are more interesting civs if natural wonders are out of the equation so to speak...;)

Anyway back to my point..... I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that the natural wonder selection process is totally random.

Quite often...more often than coincidence would suggest, Mt. Kailash shows up..... That's one "pattern" I've noticed. Another is that it is not terribly unusual for some of the rarer wonders... KSM, Eldorado, FoY ....to show up in relatively quick succession in following games once they have made an appearance.

Could it be that when you re-roll a map the game does not actually generate a totally new map but rather relocates your "spawning" position??? Such an explanation would make some kind of sense to me.

Solomon's mines is less common, also Potosi, even less common is Eldorado and the least common wonder is the Fountain of Youth.
I must be lucky then, because I see Potosi in my games quite often.

Also Old Faithful.

Could it be that when you re-roll a map the game does not actually generate a totally new map but rather relocates your "spawning" position??? Such an explanation would make some kind of sense to me.

Rerolling the map does create a new map but also cuts corners during the process such as keeping the AI civs the same - the same might be the case in some other features like natural wonders.

There's a very long list of natural wonders that are tied for most common. It's rare ones that have a clear order.

Is there a way to determine which natural wonders are in the world, short of exploring the entire map?

Historically, Spanish explorers followed rumors in pursuit of certain natural wonders. Shouldn't such a mechanism exist in the game?

Whenever I get the mountain with 2 hammers....forget its name....I rage quit. I can tolerate AI backstabs, trailing in technology, missing marble, missing great library and even missing the best religious beliefs.....but if the closest natural wonder i get is that dang mountain with 2 hammers, i quit.

Whenever I get the mountain with 2 hammers....forget its name....I rage quit. I can tolerate AI backstabs, trailing in technology, missing marble, missing great library and even missing the best religious beliefs.....but if the closest natural wonder i get is that dang mountain with 2 hammers, i quit.

I think the worst natural wonder by far is the Grand Mesa...unless I'm missing something.

El Dorado - it's right next to my capital every game.

Only joking! I would say GBR is the most common, as I can't remember a game where I didn't see it - but I do play a lot of 'water' maps so that would make some sense...

Yes grand mesa was the one I was thinking of. It grand messes up my starts on a regular basis, whereas el dorado is beautiful, not so much a natural wonder as a natural plunder, and I have only spawned close to that once, while grand mesa keeps coming up. I will try to stop the puns now.

I see the Mesa a lot. It's a regular disappointment.

There's others with low yield, and there's others with common resources, but none with low yields of common resources.

Yeah, Grand Mesa is baffling. Hey, an unimproved gems hill that can't ever be improved. SWEET!!!

Okay, I've checked the files. All wonders have been given a number for occurrence frequency.
That number is 10 for nearly all wonders. The exceptions are:

Potosi: 5
Solomon's Mines: 4
El Dorado: 2
Fountain of Youth: 1

The lower the number, the less chance of the wonder appearing.
Here's the code for Solomon's Mines, to show you how it looks in the XML files. I highlighted the crucial line:
Code:
<Type>FEATURE_SOLOMONS_MINES</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_FEATURE_SOLOMONS_MINES</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_FEATURES_SOLOMONS_MINES_TEXT</Civilopedia>
<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_FEATURE_SOLOMONS_MINES</ArtDefineTag>
<Movement>1</Movement>
<SeeThrough>2</SeeThrough>
<Impassable>true</Impassable>
<InfluenceCost>-3</InfluenceCost>
<NaturalWonder>true</NaturalWonder>
<NoImprovement>true</NoImprovement>
[COLOR="Magenta"]<OccurrenceFrequency>4</OccurrenceFrequency>[/COLOR]
<Rough>true</Rough>
<YieldNotAdditive>true</YieldNotAdditive>
<PortraitIndex>2</PortraitIndex>
<IconAtlas>EXPANSION2_WONDER_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
Of course the requirements of the wonders will also affect their chance of appearance. If you're playing a wet map, wonders that require desert would stand much less chance of appearing. And Fuji never gets placed on the biggest landmass, so if you're playing a pangaea you can forget about Fuji. Krakatoa you won't easily find because it needs to be surrounded by a lot of ocean tiles.
Potosi hasn't got very particular requirements, so probably that's why you'll still see it quite a lot despite having only a 5 for occurrence frequency.

EVery one of my games I've played I've gotten eldorado in my first or second city.

EVery one of my games I've played I've gotten eldorado in my first or second city.

Have you modified the XML code a bit? I've gotten Eldoarado probably overall about as often as the occurrence frequency would suggest, but ...and I don't know if I'm being delusional, but it seems with Eldorado and some of the other rare wonders, once in makes an appearance, it seems to show up again and maybe even again a few times in subsquent games quite soon thereafter.....

Also I'm glad to see a few others rage-quit when they encounter the Grand Mesa. It is certainly the most anemic of them all...Old Faithful is a bit of lightwieight as well..... Maybe if the Grand Mesa were beefed-up a bit with a couple of food...then at least you could start using it ...."ad urbe condita".... ;)

Top Bottom