SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

Thank you all for your kind words - but the biggest parts of the praise go to El Justo for creating such a wonder of a Civ 3 scenario (I´m not aware of any other Civ 3 Scenario creating such a working merchant marine), to Vuldacon, Wyrmshadow and now Delta_Strife, tom2050 for their beautiful graphics works, to Ares whose added soundfiles to the new replacement units are very precise and fitting and made the adding of the replacemnet units much more easy and to Klyden for his great advise, play-testing and strategic hints to that scenario. :)

At present I do a test game with the new AOI scenario files and the new biq and I´m now in the year 1903 playing Germany on monarch level. In my eyes the very excellent scenario of El Justo has gained a lot of additional athmosphere by addiing the new replacement units. Unfortunately the scenario with the new added files at present is not running completely without crashes. Until 1903 there were two of the older landunits that triggered crashes: The US Cavalry and the Maschinengewehr 08 unit.

Both crashes can be fixed easily with the files that are still contained in the new mainfile:

The US Cavalry: Go to the unit folder and rename the unit US Cavalry by adding a suffix like US cavalry-new (or something else) and than by renaming the old US Cavalry unit that is still contained in the unit folder from US Cavalry-orig to US Cavalry. The current US Cavalry unit uses other names for the graphics and sound files of that unit than were the names of the original US Cavalry unit, but there are other units in the game that are still linked to the old names of soundfiles and graphics files like the Belgium Cavalry, that now cause the crash as at present the game can´t find the linked files with the old names.

The German Maschinengewehr 08 unit: Here the unit file contained in the units folder of the mainfile is only named "Maschinengewehr".
Rename the unit to "Maschinengewehr 08" (both units folder and the unit INI inside the units folder) and the crash is fixed.

Please report other crashes you have found (and should be fixed as easily as the crashes reported above, as the mainfile at least mostly contains the old units with suffixes like - orig or -old, too) so in the future a mainfile with the fixed crashes can be uploaded.

Here are some screenshots from my current testgame as Germany:

The screenshot of the German war against Scandinavia shows the new German Level 1-Dreadnoughts of the Nassau class, some predreadnoughts of the Deutschland class, an old predreadnought of the Brandenburg class and some 1902 Great Torpedo Boats:

The screenshot of the prospering colony of Dt-SW-Africa shows the vivid trafic of the merchant ships, mostly been loaded with tons of supply shipments. The screenshot also shows an old predreadnought of the Braunschweig class and two armored cruisers of the Roon and Scharnhorst class.

The Situation around the Azores 1903: You can see predreadnoughts of the Duncan and Canopus Class, armored cruisers of the Cressy Class and several old protected cruisers. It´s not so easy for the merchant ship of the Kaiserliche Handelsmarine to find a pass through to continue the way to Hamburg.

Also attached is a preset screenshot in Debug Mod of parts of the Russian fleet approaching Tsushima. The screenshot is enlarged to 200 % to show the great work of Delta_Strife and tom2050. May be there will be a time when Antal1987 or somebody else will find a way to replace the mostly not used zooming-out option of Civ 3 with a zooming-in option to show the high details of these units, especially in battle.

Spoiler :

sweet, thanks for sharing Bud and welcome back. hope your holiday went well.

i should also note that the zoom-in image shows the richness of Vuldacon's work as well. not many people know that he redid the whole water color terrain pack and sort of polished it up and we can see the polish when zooming in like that. so kudos to V :cool:

re the broken linkages of unit folders - i've encountered this before as well. and it is a byproduct of my somewhat sloppy assembly of Unit folders :blush: however, i have used a tactic in the past that should nip these problems in the proverbial 'bud'. i DL the new gfx files...for whatever unit that is going in as a placeholder 'replacement'. and i 'cut' out the new flc files etc from newly DL'ed unit folder and 'paste' them into the existing Unit folder, alongside the old flc and sound files. i then set the INI file to use the new flc&sound files. i rename the new flc and sound files if necessary (only if they have the same name as the file that are already in the Unit folder, ie the old flc and sound files). what this accomplishes is the older files, whether they are flc or sound files, are not removed from the older Unit folder and are still there to be linked up with any other unit that shares them AND the new flc and sound files are in there also. granted, it's leaving some excess files in there and making the DL just a tad larger than it really needs to be. however, all the linkages hypothetically remain intact which should mean no crashes.

El Justo and Others... I noticed that the "box trans.pcx" is not correct. This is the Box above the Box Right that shows the Units being Transported. I never worked on that file.
I remade it and the Alpha File that goes with it. I took it upon myself to removed the screw as it seems to be distracting.

If you want the Files... they go in the interface Folder in Art.

El Justo... If you want any changes, let me know.

Attachments

• For AoI interface Folder.zip
    21.5 KB · Views: 274
I got the Belgian Calvary bug also. Did the fix and hope that all. Hopefully most of the bugs are just like that. Currently playing as USA.

I am thinking that the Research Lab should require both a university and a hospital.

probably not. the vietnam one was sort of a bridge. but that one needs some fine tuning.

on a separate note, the Fine Fellows over in the PBEM forum need a replacement player for their long-running AoI PBEM. iirc, it's the Japanese who need replacing. any takers here ?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=464685

Hi El Justo - can I just check what the main files should be - the link on the front page is 447mb, Civinator's link is 600+ mb. The biq points to 4.0 - is that correct ? I downloaded the latest and note the Low Countries are split into Dutch/Belgians. Previously I've been playing the 4.1 version which has them merged ...

just back for my yearly visit and wow blast from the past and all that seeing El Justo author of some of the greatest scenarios of any civ game updating these works of art so we may be able to play again :king:

Thanks so much for the latest version El Justo! Nice to see that 10 years means nothing to Civ III and AoI. I do realise that Siam is not able to build the Maxim Machine Gun though before they are not tagged as producing Civ in the .biq. Just wanna report this bug I came across.

Thanks so much for the latest version El Justo! Nice to see that 10 years means nothing to Civ III and AoI. I do realise that Siam is not able to build the Maxim Machine Gun though before they are not tagged as producing Civ in the .biq. Just wanna report this bug I came across.

Alright just realised the same issue for Light Cavalry and Siam.

At present I do a test game with the new AOI scenario files and the new biq and I´m now in the year 1903 playing Germany on monarch level. Until 1903 there were two of the older land units that triggered crashes: The US Cavalry and the Maschinengewehr 08 unit.

Please report other crashes you have found (and should be fixed as easily as the crashes reported above, as the main file at least mostly contains the old units with suffixes like - orig or -old, too) so in the future a main file with the fixed crashes can be uploaded.

Speaking of, I still can't figure out how to cure the crashes caused by MG 08/15 and MG 08/18. They are present as MG 0815 and MG 0818 in art/units. I tried renaming them but "/" is not allowed as a symbol in the folder name :crazyeye:

Speaking of, I still can't figure out how to cure the crashes caused by MG 08/15 and MG 08/18. They are present as MG 0815 and MG 0818 in art/units. I tried renaming them but "/" is not allowed as a symbol in the folder name :crazyeye:

Hi TsarNikolai,

I temporary attache some screenshots how to fix these bugs. After some time I have to delete them as I´m very close to the attachment limit at CFC.

This is the setting you need in the editor (the same with MG 0818):

These are the MG 08, 0815 and 0818 folders. Inside these folders you must change the INI-file to the name used in the unit folder (Maschinengewehr 0815, etc.).

Edited: Not only the name of the INI must bechanged, but also the names and paths of the flics. Images removed.

I am having some trouble with the MG units as well. I have altered the INI file and renamed the unit file as instructed but the game still crashes when I attempt to upgrade my MG units. I was able to fix the MG 08 issue previously by changing the name and INI file in the unit folder but this solution doesn't seem to have an effect on the MG 08/15. Additionally, when I attempt to take another city the same error appears when one of my units move into the newly captured city.

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 227
I have downloaded the two files for AoI and used 7-Zip manager to extract the files to Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios, but I have Civ 3 Complete so what is the exact directory for Civ 3 Complete? AoI does not apper in the civ content when I click on it on the main menu. My exact directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\AoI\. I have download other scenarios and they work so I am not sure what is wrong. Any help would be most appreciative.

I have downloaded the two files for AoI and used 7-Zip manager to extract the files to Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios, but I have Civ 3 Complete so what is the exact directory for Civ 3 Complete? AoI does not apper in the civ content when I click on it on the main menu. My exact directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\AoI\. I have download other scenarios and they work so I am not sure what is wrong. Any help would be most appreciative.

If you are using Complete, you should be saving the files in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Conquests

About some errors in the current AoI-Download:

1. Confusion between the different namings of the current AoI-biq:

As many of you know, El Justo worked on a version AoI 5.0 and lost all his work in a computer crash. Before that accident, as far as I remember, I received a biq of his current work to add some of the, at that time very new, WWI ships made by tom2050 (units of Delta_Strife were not available at that time). After adding these units, I placed the reworked biq for El Justo in the folders at SOC, only accessable for the SOC-staff, for his further work with that biq.

Soon before the closing of the SOC-site, this biq was included in the emergency transfer MarineCorps did to CivForum.de (the only Civ-site that offered help with a transfer from the SOC site at that time).
So the current AoI-biq is somewhere between AoI 4 and the work El Justo lost with AoI 5. That´s the story behind the lucky accident, why not all of El Justo´s work with AoI 5 was lost in his computer crash.

2. I added many of the new excellent ships of Delta_Strife to the AoI-mainfile, but had no eye on the other files of AoI before making the link to AoI available again .

Until now these errors are reported for the current download of AoI:

a) Wondersplash Sudwester Military Academy :

This splash has 16 mio colours instead 256 colours. For this old bug Vuldacon made a fix long ago. You can find it here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8687903&postcount=5441
Simply replace the old wondersplash with the new one in the arts/wondersplash folder.

b) The box trans.pcx is not correct. Vuldacon made a fix for this bug in post 7405 of this thread. You can find it here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13392480&postcount=7405
Simply replace the old file with the new one.

c) Units MG 08/15 and MG 08/18:

These units are linked to a unit "Maschinengewehr 08". These units were prepared to show the -at that time new - German WW1 machine-gunners made by Wyrmshadow.
The simpliest methode to fix these units, is to add the unit I have attached below to the AoI-units folder. If there is another unit named "Maschinengewehr 08" in that folder, rename it to Maschinengewehr 08-old (or something like that).

The units MG 08/15 and MG 08/18 are linked in the INI files to the flic-names of the Wyrmshadow-units and therefore changing the name of the INI alone is not enough to fix that problem.

d) Units Belgian Calvary / US Cavalry -bug:

The US Cavalry: Go to the unit folder and rename the unit US Cavalry by adding a suffix like US cavalry-new (or something else) and than by renaming the old US Cavalry unit that is still contained in the unit folder from US Cavalry-orig to US Cavalry. The current US Cavalry unit uses other names for the graphics and sound files of that unit than were the names of the original US Cavalry unit, but there are other units in the game that are still linked to the old names of soundfiles and graphics files like the Belgium Cavalry, that now causes the crash, as the game can´t find the linked files with the old names.

e) Siam: Light Cavalry and Siam Maxim Machine Gun: Here the biq must be reworked, if these units should be available to Siam. I´m not sure, if this was the intention of El Justo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please report all other errors and bugs you have found in the current download of AoI as soon as possible. I will try to fix them with a new upload of the mainfile as soon as I have some free time for it (what could be around the time between Christmas and New Year).

Attachments

• Maschinengewehr 08.zip
    845.7 KB · Views: 325
Thank you Angelle for that advice, I tried that but the file did not appear under the conquest folder. I will try to figure out to see if i can open up the .bic files and put them into the conquest folder.

I pulled the .bic file out from the AoI v4.1 and put in the conquest folder and it worked. Thanks Angelle for your advice in getting me started.

Top Bottom