Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

Thought I'd post up to turn 100 (quick). All the infos inside, and a digression about some other maps I tested first.

Took the pictures with the phone because print screen crashes civ. Just realised I could have used steam. Feeling pretty stupid.

http://imgur.com/a/x4m0s

Thanks Hokath that's extremely helpful. And we'll also look into that Inuksuk removal issue.

Other than that are people living the changes, are we all good to go?

Also, looking at the poll, we are desperately in need of South Africa Unique Buildings and Units! Please post your ideas.

Inuit v.3.0 is released!

• UA: Yields from claimed Polar (Snow, Ice, Tundra) tiles outside workable city limits is now Food instead of Culture
  • UA: Only Fish Adjacent to Polar tiles turn into Seals
  • UA: Trading Sea Resources for Production is now removed, in it's stead - "Gain a production boost whenever a Fish turns into Seals". This Production boost is similar to chopping down a forest, but yields more production - 35 to be exact
  • UU: Unaaq are now expended when used to create Fishing Boats
  • UU: Unaaq now slightly more expensive and have additional Ranged Combat Strength and Defensive Combat Strength (+1)
  • UU: Unaaq Range reduced to +1 (similar to Hand-Axe)
  • UI: Inuksuk base yield improved by +1 Food, with another +1 Food coming at Banking.
  • Misc: The colours are now slightly muted and are representative of the icon
  • Misc: New Icon Art by Leugi!
  • Misc: Snow Start script now allows for more Tundra starts and will always push you at least 8 tiles away from City-States, Players and Natural Wonders.
Civfanatics Database | Steam Workshop

Question, I remember reading that Afghanistan was almost ready. Is this true?

Sorry, Tpang - played a couple games with new Inuit and meant to post thoughts. Went to bed first. Note: I played on king and emperor. Here's some quick review:

UA: Much better both in terms of clarity and effect. The main problem with the old Inuit was that you might be keeping up in the culture game, but you couldn't grow your cities - snow was still a killer in terms of building momentum with a city unless you wonderwhored or were on different type of terrain. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the previous effect of gaining culture was in many ways too strong - because if you had at least one city on the snow or tundra, and kept two workers building inuksuks, you could get pretty ridiculous culture outputs with any large amount of tundra/polar tiles. The food bonus is locally-regulated. This is good. The old bonus was empire-wide, and a bit too strong. So the updated ability actually balances in two directions.

Seals nerf is also good, in my opinion. The old production buff was silly. This one works well for if you want to focus down some building or wonder in the early game, buffing the inuit in the early game when they're seriously hurting. It's incredibly difficult to come by early game production in snow or tundra, so the little boost helps. And also having infinite luxury seals resources was a bit strong. So all in all, another good change.

UU: Nerfs! And buffs! Good nerfs here. It becomes basically a slightly more expensive scout that can sacrifice itself to create one kind of improvement. That seems fair. I'd say it's main strength now lies in two things - the incredibly movement ability, and it's ability to upgrade into a composite bow. These two things are balanced out by the range loss, which makes it have to get much closer to engage, and thereby negate at least some of the movement speed, and also the fact that snow and tundra starts have precious few hammers to start with. Making it more expensive production wise makes it slightly less of a good build in comparison with necessities, for example a worker. You cannot survive a snow start without a worker, even as the inuit. If it's a choice between an early worker or an early scout, you're going for the worker. So in terms of build orders, it has also been nerfed. And also, of course, they're nerfed by the fact that early game you'll almost certainly be expending them on fishing boats.

My only wish now would be giving it the ability to walk on ice, as in several games I've had fish tiles separated from me by impassible ice. :(

UI: Inuksuks are pretty much the same, except that now I believe they work properly. :p I kid, but really I haven't encountered bugs with them except for the fact that if you delete one (which should be easier to do, as sometimes you place them wrong), the yields stay and then stack with subsequent inuksuks. This is fairly game-breaking, as you can imagine. As it stands, they make for an absolutely necessary UI on snow, and a pretty fantastic one on tundra. All in all, I believe the Inuit to be true kings and queens of tundra tiles, as they get free Petra for it. They can do very well in snow, but it's still a struggle if you start completely in snow with no fresh water - and especially if you have no sea resources or coast of any kind.

All in all, there might be a couple twinges here and there that would be cool - WALK ON ICE, WALK ON ICE - but other than that, I'd say they're in a good place. The couple bugs that need stomping are few and far between now, and the new icons are AMAZING.

I agree with the comment about walking on ice. Even if Inuit can't walk on ice they need to have a way to improve fish that are surrounded by ice.

(And to clarify, I'm hoping just the scout will have that ability. I don't think it would be incredibly balanced for all units)

Finally ver 3 came out, i just feel weird at this civ at ver 1, unplayable.... but now better. Keep it up

(And to clarify, I'm hoping just the scout will have that ability. I don't think it would be incredibly balanced for all units)

Something something we'd need to modify the DLL. It's not exactly possible. Also - thanks for the feedback! I love seeing responses like this. Credit where it's extremely due: Neirai and Leugi were amazing with pumping out this update.

Afghan is stuck in purgatory because of a mediocre LH?! :(

You got it sister. I can't hack it really. I'm waiting until a knight in shining armor comes along and rescues it. But until then I'll keep hacking away.

Anyway - quick South Africa question - To Xhosa or not to Xhosa? Do we want to include Xhosa-era buildings/units or do we want to keep it strictly Post-Colonial/Mandela's vision?

I'd be in favour of a South Africa that incorporates both new and old elements, though not necessarily Xhosa. Pre-colonial South Africa is pretty hard to make into meaningful civilisations, while post-colonial is far too modern (so limited, to a certain degree) given that Apartheid's avoided. Though CL tends to focus one way or the other, South Africa is far better represented as the Rainbow Nation if it has both of those elements.

I vote for both. Xhosa UU?

Alrighty, let's stick with a Xhosa UU/UB - any ideas?

Kraal, maybe? It seems to represent the Zulus, Xhosa and Swazi, and the word itself is Dutch and used in South African English. In terms of effects, I'd say it could work as an improvement or a Granary replacement, though probably better as a building. For a unit - the amaFengu were noted as fantastic gunmen in colonial South Africa, though they served Cape Colony instead of fighting for native interests, and I think they might have fought the Xhosa. I'll do some more research on the Xhosa wars (and general colonial wars) to see if there's anything better.

Top Bottom