A Place In The Sun

Mexican Empire

Mexico, Yucatan, Oaxaca, Michoacan, Zacatecas, Sonora, Arizona, Cuba

more later

The Iberian Union

Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Culture: Iberian (Castillian, Portuguese, etc)
History: The Napoleonic Wars ravaged Portugal's eastern neighbor. A flurry of royal marriages, trade deals, and the growing financial instability of the Spanish crown resulted in the collapse of Spain, which lost Gibraltar, as well as Catalonia by other means. Portugal and Castille, both weakened, formed an imperial system in which the crown of Portugal and Castille were subject to the Iberian Emperor, who was himself Portuguese, but could not hold the title of King of Portugal or Castille. These affairs, of course, also increased the need for local administration, and so powers of the state were devolved to local communities.

Spoiler Claims :

Second Roman Republic

Government: (de jure) Semi-Presidential Republic, with a Consul directly elected by the citizenry to single six-year terms, and a Senate, with a Chancellor leading the current government. However, in reality, the relationship tends to be more fluid, and can vary significantly, depending on who exactly the two figures are.
Capital: Rome
Claims: Already posted
Color: The one you have is fine
History: In 1797, Napoleon's Italian campaign led to the establishment of a similar republican state for the Italians, founded in - unsurprisingly - Rome. The Roman Republic was and remains an odd fusion of enlightenment and romanticism, harkening back to the first one but retaining promises of liberty, equality, and fraternity for all. Over the next several years, cultivating Italian nationalism, the Roman Republic through a mixture of military force and popular unrest unified most of Italy under itself, and eventually became powerful enough to step out of France's shadow. Nevertheless, Rome and France today remain relatively close allies.

Updated French history.

Um, what exactly is the culture thing? You mentioned there were 15 cultural groups, but didn't say what they were or mark them on the map. Can someone explain?

i think they're on the map as those tiny little colored diamond things

Added backstory.

The Brazilian Braganzas shall never die!

The Empire of Brazil​

Government: Monarchy
Ruler: Emperor (Dom) Pedro II
Culture: Latin American
History: During the Napoleonic Wars, and the French invasion of Portugal, the Royal House of Braganza fled overseas to Brazil, raising the status of Brazil from a Viceroyalty to a Kingdom. However, when Joao VI returned to Portugal, he left his son Pedro I as regent. As public support was against the restore of colonial rule, Pedro declared independence as Emperor Pedro I of Brazil in 1822. Although this was initially met with resistance from military units loyal to the Iberian Union, the Emperor of Iberia did not oppose the declaration of independence that strongly, largely being concerned with the consolidation of the Spanish provinces, and in 1825 the Iberians recognised the independence of Brazil. This didn't stop disputes over absolutism vs constitutionalism from breaking out, and in 1831, Pedro I abdicated in favour of his 5 year-old son, Pedro II.

Spoiler Claims :

In case i dont get to it, Swaziland is an absolute monarchy and has the present day flag.

@SouthernKing

Curious flag, where's it from/what does it mean?

('cause I think black/red/green is a terrible colour combination for a flag unless you're Afghan :p )

It is literally just the Afghan flag with the central bits removed and recolored so the colors matched those of the historical 18th/19th century Roman Republics. I thought it looked cool, but that might just be me :p

Well, my history is something something, Spanish expansion in Asia, something something neglect, revolt of the ruling classes and stuff on revolutionary ideals, and formation of some sort of noble republic.

Insular Federation sounds okay, I think. Formal name Federation of Insular Asia.

Makin' flag now.

EDIT:

The British East India Company

Founded on the eve of 1601 the Company's mandate was to facilitate trade with the Indies in places such as China and India. The company began its life trading and brining back goods from abroad. It built up a significant private navy and become a feared organisation. Soon it began buying up territory in India to facilitate production themselves. However there was soon conflict over this and the French allied with the Indians formed plans to remove British influence from India. At the battle of Plassey the EIC force was routed and similar battles took place in other British settlements such as Bombay and Surat. Fearing they would lose their hold on India completely the EIC appealed to the British Government and an invasion led by Brothers Norman and Timothy Hadley was conducted in 1762 of the Dutch held island of Ceylon. A resounding success the island was taken fully and the Hadley Brothers gave up their positions in the British Military to join the EIC Timothy became leader of the EIC's army and Norman became Governor General of Ceylon during that time he founded the city of Port Hadley in the ruins of the Dutch settlement of Colombo.

The City of Port Hadley is the largest trade port in the Indies with huge amounts of goods flowing through it each day. It sits as the main port before the return journey round the cape to Europe and so has a near monopoly on goods imported to Europe. Thus the EIC has make huge amounts of money from tariffs and the control of trade it has - Nothing moves from India or China without first passing through the meticulous customs houses of Port Hadley.

The City of Port Hadley is the largest trade port in the Indies with huge amounts of goods flowing through it each day. It sits as the main port before the return journey round the cape to Europe and so has a near monopoly on goods imported to Europe. Thus the EIC has make huge amounts of money from tariffs and the control of trade it has - Nothing moves from India or China without first passing through the meticulous customs houses of Port Hadley.

Chinese goods may first move through Korean or Australian custom houses, while we spam sell copies of the Inner Chapters to Port Hadley? :mischief:

Mischief aside the Inner Dominion hopes for good relations with Port Hadley as we go with the flow and hope for good trade links to outer markets. Together we can ensure a friendly environment in the Pacific.

May you enjoy Chinese tea as we enjoy Port Hadleyian Taoist converts. :)

Oh my god can someone please post a map with all claims so far so I actually know what's been claimed and what hasn't?

Top Bottom