Tomatekh's New Civilizations

When you have a minute, would you mind writing a post about the Cradles of Civilization? Who are these other 2-3 and what is the evidence for them? I always enjoy your musings a great deal!

But that's such a long and complicated and vague thing to explain... Okay, but I'm not really going to double check most of this so don't complain if some details are wrong. Also, people don't get mad if I say x culture is not a civilization. When referring to how people classify the cradles its more a set of specific criteria and a lot of tribal cultures won't fit into them. That doesn't mean they're not civilizations as we or the game might define them or they are in any way less of a culture. So, wall of text...

The thing is, there were a lot of really advanced Neolithic cultures all over the place (and in non-cradle spots like Europe as well as a lot of megalithic sites). Anatolia is really important here because of ~10,000 BC - 8,000 BC sites like Çatalhöyük and Göbekli Tepe. Because of these sites, quite a few people like to argue for southern Anatolia as the true cradle of civilization but it’s generally accepted the sites didn’t really have the level of social organization and population specialization to make that distinction.

So the question is how to classify civilization from an advanced Neolithic culture. It’s generally something like when a culture begins to emerge out of the Neolithic period and start the process of state formation and exhibiting the majority of stuff like urbanization, agriculture and animal domestication, pottery and metalworking, monumental architecture and public buildings, writing, and a high level of social organization and population/class specialization (with a big emphasis on the last two, social organization and specialization, as criteria). There are six accepted cradles where civilization is understood to have emerged independently: Mesopotamia, Nile River, Indus River, Yellow River, Peruvian Coast/Andes, Coatzacoalcos River/Mesoamerica. However, the criteria are somewhat vague and not all the cradles meet all of the same criteria. The Yellow River had no real monumental architecture; the Peruvian Coast was lacking in pottery, metal working, and writing (not potentially counting a form of quipu). For cradles such as Norte Chico, you can still very clearly see high levels of social organization, specialization, as well as elements of cultural continuity with later civilizations in the area, but it goes to show that maybe you need a degree of flexibility when classifying something as a cradle.

There’s also stuff like cultural cradles, where even if civilization didn’t emerge independently, the site was still early enough and significant enough that its culture would have had a huge impact on subsequent civilizations in the area. Something like the Minoans would be here. The Minoans developed a lot of stuff independently, but it’s generally accepted that they were also influenced by stuff from the Egypt, Anatolia (and possibly Vinča) areas. However, it was still one of the earliest "true" civilizations in the area and its culture would greatly influence Greece and subsequently Europe.

So, when you say there were six cradles of civilization, that doesn’t mean that all civilizations are cultural descendants or even subsequent settlements of these original six (although some later civilizations very much were). They are largely understood as areas where specific technologies and concepts of social organization coalesced and/or developed independently (allowing the culture to emerge from the Neolithic and form "civilization") and then these technologies and social concepts (as well as an inevitable degree of cultural transmission) spread from these areas into many existing developing complex cultures (they didn't necessarily overwrite or found these cultures). When I said 2-3 before, I was actually underestimating (it was more there were 2-3 I would potentially like to make as civ). So while there are other sites that might not be true cradles of civilization, there are sites that might be significant cultural cradles, or developed an extremely complex Neoltihic culture and then collapsed just before they reached the level of true civilization, or would have likely developed civilization independently if they had not come into contact with an existing civilization before they reached that point.

The Vinča culture is a big one (and one I might also be interested in doing as a civ at one point). A very complex and advanced Neolithic culture in the Serbia, Greece, Bulgaria, Macedon area. Developed some of the earliest known examples of copper metallurgy and one of the earliest forms of proto-writing. High population. Somewhat monumental architecture in the form of giant sized figurines. However, it’s generally accepted that the sites don’t exhibit a level of social organization and population specialization to properly classify them as a civilization. There’s also the question of how much influx there was from Anatolia.

The Nigeria area is interesting. Independent development of agriculture. Independent development of metal working. (A form of proto-writing developed, but not till ~AD 400 so not really relevant to the idea of cradles). The earliest identifiable culture in the area is the Nok at around ~1000 BC (although there is some question of if the Nok are really a cultural predecessor/cradle of the later Yoruba/Edo/Igbo/etc.). I think Nigeria is largely regarded as an area that would have developed civilization independently if it didn’t come into contact with civilization before it reached that point (there’s evidence of trade networks reaching between Nigeria and Egypt that predate the Nok).

China’s history is a mess. A lot of people argue that there was probably a second independent development of civilization in China along the Yangtze river (in addition to the one on the Yellow river), but China’s nationalism and revisionist history make it a pain to research as they want to insist on deriving all of Chinese culture and civilization from Han Chinese and the Xia (or at the very least the Shang) Dynasty.

In the Americas there were four areas that saw high population density. The Andes and Mesoamerica obviously developed civilization. The next highest area would the Mississippi/Mound builder area and then Puget Sound. Puget Sound never really urbanized and never developed agriculture. The Mound building tradition dates back to at least ~3500 BC with Watson Brake, although you don’t really see the advanced culture and social organization until Poverty Point ~1650 BC. Poverty Point wasn’t agricultural, but it was an advanced hunter gather organization similar to what would have been needed for Göbekli Tepe. The culture also extended to about 100 sites and they had an extremely vast trading network. You can sort of see the Mound building tradition culminating with Cahokia (~AD 600) which was agricultural and, in fact, the Mississippi area was an independent development of agriculture. I think there’s still a question of if people should classify these groups as civilizations (technically, a lot of the Native American tribes don’t meet the criteria set by the cradles), but I personally feel that maybe the area should have (similar to with Norte Chico) a less strict or different definition when trying to meet all the criteria. There’s also the question of contact. The indigenous southern US has almost always had trade networks that ultimately extended into Mexico. The idea is also that European contact potentially interrupted the development of “true” civilization. There’s a case to be made, though, for sort of a cradle gray area stretching back to the Poverty Point culture (and, at the very least, you can see the Poverty Point area as a cultural cradle). One other area of interest in the Americas would be Marajó in the Amazon, which saw an independent development of agriculture and mound building but was likely interrupted by peoples from the Andes mid development and the sites were ultimately abandoned before they got anywhere.

The Kuk Swamp area of Papua New Guinea also saw an extremely early independent development of agriculture, but didn’t really develop any of the other stuff like advanced social organization, urbanization, and monumental architecture.

Polynesia should be mentioned because it’s a place a lot of people argue as a true 7th cradle, just these people can’t really agree on where or how. It’s a question of prehistoric contact you can’t really trace and then stages of social organization during European contact. Rapa Nui had high levels of social organization and even a form of writing, but may have had some form of contact with South America. Did “true” civilization only develop on one of the islands (or independently on separate)? Should you trace it back to Tonga/Samoa (the East and West Polynesia urheimat), etc. etc.

I probably forgot a bunch of stuff or remembered something wrong. It's also not completely clear-cut the exact spot that civilization emerged in Egypt or Mesopotamia (so it's actually like an area of sites), but I've written more than I was originally planning anyway :p

You need to write speeches, Tom(you don't mind me calling you tom, right?).
A Cradle of civilization Polynesia will be cool.

Just a thought.
Mali has a 3D leaderscreen long before Australia right? why did that get recognition from loads of websites for being "the first"?

I am really quite excited for both Xia, Olmec, and anything else down the pipe. Taking an early states archaeology class rekindled my interest in Civ 5 a few years ago. Let me know if there's anything we/I can do to help expedite (I can write pedias like a boss)

Hope you don't mind, Tomatekh, but I'm going to rant for a bit. This isn't directed at you (you seem to be on the same page as me for a lot of this anyhow), but at concept and definition of "civilization" in general.

You can sort of see the Mound building tradition culminating with Cahokia (~AD 600) which was agricultural and, in fact, the Mississippi area was an independent development of agriculture.

If we're going to call Cahokia the culmination of moundbuilding traditions, then we should shift the date to sometime between AD 1050-1300. In AD 600, Cahokia was just one of many large towns in the middle Mississippi valley that had recently adopted maize-based agriculture (which displaced a large portion of their previous agricultural system). Around AD 1050, Cahokia begins to experience a period of rapid population growth and expansive construction. This is when the first phases of Monks Mound are constructed for example. This period lasts until about AD 1200, after which the Cahokian polity begins to fragment as the population shifts to the "suburbs" then to the suburbs of the suburbs. Though for all the press Cahokia gets, it's not completely alone in terms of size and grandeur among Mississippian polities. Ivitachuco, east of modern Tallahassee, FL, still had a population of a some 30,000+ in the early 1600s, for example, which puts in it near the middle of Cahokia's population estimates. Still, this is a bit irrelevant to the discussion of cradles since, as you mentioned, moundbuilding traditions go way back before Cahokia and the other Mississippians.

I think there’s still a question of if people should classify these groups as civilizations (technically, a lot of the Native American tribes don’t meet the criteria set by the cradles), but I personally feel that maybe the area should have (similar to with Norte Chico) a less strict or different definition when trying to meet all the criteria.
I really think people need to get over their generally Eurasian-centric ideas of what a "civilization" is in general. As you mentioned, exceptions are already made to allow certain cultures that are generally recognized as "civilizations" without meeting all the criteria of the most strict definitions. The problem doesn't lie with those civilizations, but with the definition itself. Social complexity doesn't equate with despotism. Agriculture isn't the only way to feed large populations (and large populations aren't always regarded as ideal anyhow). Metal is just one of many materials from which tools can be made. Writing is only one way to record information. There isn't one mold which all human societies must conform to.

There’s also the question of contact. The indigenous southern US has almost always had trade networks that ultimately extended into Mexico.
This is another weird conceptual hang-up. While there's a long history of extensive trade routes in the Americas, the same is true in Old World too. Egypt, Mesopotamia, and the Indus Valley weren't isolated from each other either and were trading and exchanging ideas among themselves throughout their development.

Of course, early contact between the various "mound-building" societies in the eastern US and the societies in Mesoamerica isn't well-established and generally when people try to establish such a link they always emphasize a Mesoamerican influence on the Eastern US. This is incredibly problematic because if such a link existed, it certainly wasn't a one-way interaction. Poverty Point and the Olmecs were roughly contemporary, with Poverty Point beginning a century or so earlier than the Olmecs. While they both had a fondness for earthen pyramids, that's about were the similarities end. With the Olmecs, we know their agriculture was influenced by the earlier Mokaya in southern Chiapas and Pacific coast of Guatemala (the Mokaya pre-date Poverty Point as well, but since Poverty Point got by with agriculture we can't make any claims of contact there either). The Mokaya, in turn, seem to have had direct or indirect contact with the Amazon, since they seem to be the ones to have imported cacao into Mesoamerica. But no one really talks about potential South American influences on Mesoamerica civilization (or vice versa) in the same way they talk about Mesoamerican influences on the rest of North America (the exception to this is the introduction of Andean metallurgy to Mesoamerica circa AD 700-800, which is a topic of considerably discussion in the relevant archaeological fields).

One other area of interest in the Americas would be Marajó in the Amazon, which saw an independent development of agriculture and mound building but was likely interrupted by peoples from the Andes mid development and the sites were ultimately abandoned before they got anywhere.

I think "ultimately abandoned before they got anywhere" is a poor way of describing the situation. Os Camutins (the largest Marajoara community) had an estimated population of 10,000 and the entire island's population is estimated at 100,000 around the time of European contact. When the Spanish arrived, the Amazon River was lined with several large polities. Omagua stretched from some 300-500 miles along the middle Amazon (depending on whether Machiparo was tributary or an ally). One Omagua community had an estimated 8,000 people living there, another lined the river for about 20 miles. They had trading outposts and broad roads cutting through the jungle. As wealthy and powerful as Omagua was, their Aparian rivals upstream still regarded the Ica to the north as the bigger threat. Unfortunately, not long after Orellana's expedition down the Amazon, these large polities are thrown into disarray by waves of epidemics.

There definitely was contact between Andean and Amazonian cultures, it was a two-way exchange. We can't say that Andean culture interrupted the development of Amazonian societies anymore than we can say Amazonian societies interrupted the development of Andean ones. As you noted earlier early Andean / Pacific Coast societies (like Caral) didn't have pottery; they eventually got it, along with some of their crops, from contact with Amazonian societies.

The Kuk Swamp area of Papua New Guinea also saw an extremely early independent development of agriculture, but didn’t really develop any of the other stuff like advanced social organization, urbanization, and monumental architecture.

The scale of the Kuk irrigation and drainage system could certainly be called monumental, but there are plenty of other monuments in New Guinea.

Polynesia should be mentioned because it’s a place a lot of people argue as a true 7th cradle, just these people can’t really agree on where or how. It’s a question of prehistoric contact you can’t really trace and then stages of social organization during European contact. Rapa Nui had high levels of social organization and even a form of writing, but may have had some form of contact with South America. Did “true” civilization only develop on one of the islands (or independently on separate)? Should you trace it back to Tonga/Samoa (the East and West Polynesia urheimat), etc. etc.

If I were making a "Polynesian" Cradle, I'd based it on Lapita.

Thanks for clearing stuff up Reedstilt. I knew I was grossly oversimplifying the situation (but I felt the post was already getting too long :p). I hope I also didn't offend you with anything I said. I wasn't as comfortable addressing the Americas as I was with the Old World, but I wanted to try as I'm afraid most people readily dismiss the civilization that developed there.

I'd also like to repeat that I do consider much of what occurred in North America a civilization. If you notice, the sort of civilization checklist I stated perfectly fits for sites like Mesopotamia (and Egypt). Why? Because people first developed that list for Sumer back when they believed there was only one cradle. Since then, it's been more people trying to fit other cultures to the mold of Mesopotamia than addressing them on their own merits.

A lot of people adamantly refuse to get past agriculture, which is the main reason why I started talking about the mound cultures after Poverty Point. Again, I'm not 100% sure with the Americas, but I believe Poverty Point developed completely independently, before any potential date for Mesoamerican trade networks (in fact, maybe Poverty Point ultimately first established the Mississippi end of many of those networks). But if people (not me) refuse to consider Poverty Point because of agriculture, then you need to look at the later complex societies, at which point the question of trade contact is bigger (although, as you pointed out, not as well established). I don’t see trade routes as as much of a hang-up as you, though. You mentioned the routes between Mesopotamia and Egypt. "Egypt" actually developed really really early, so much so, that the Nile River cities might have technically beaten Mesopotamia. So the idea is that they developed civilization independently before significant trade occurred (which, again, I'm pretty sure is also the case with Poverty Point and Mesoamerica), making them a true cradle. It’s also what I was trying to say with Marajó. “Interrupted” and the site “ultimately being abandoned” came off a lot stronger than I intended. For the Andes, you can trace back to Norte Chico as a group of sites that definietly developed before any significant "international" trade. For the Amazon, it’s a more difficult question (and actually a big debate at the moment). The last I read, I believe there was evidence of some Andean influence during the middle phases of Marajó (but this could have been completely wrong). However, I ultimately don't know much about Marajó (besides knowing it was important to mention), so thanks for providing more information.

I will comment on Polynesia, though, as Natan also brought it up. I don’t really think you can consider the Lapita as the cradle. There’s no doubt Polynesia can trace itself to the Lapita culture, but the culture itself is too generalized and spread out (and one case where I really do understand it as a Neolithic culture instead of a civilization). For the Polynesian cradle I would actually go with Tonga. Tonga (and to a lesser extent Samoa) is where Polynesian culture first developed from Lapita culture and is also the language urheimat. That means all the East and West Polynesian cultures and languages ultimately descend from Tonga. I think the main problem is trying to pin down a specific cradle. The idea is that the East Polynesian migration already began from the Tonga-Samoa area before civilization proper developed on Tonga. So while it did eventually occur on Tonga, it also technically occurred independently in East Polynesia (making two cradles, but it becomes a messy way of looking at things since one is still derived from the other). Then there are people that claim Hawaii didn’t meet the level of social organization needed before European contact (which is a poor excuse). I can sympathize with questioning Rapa Nui as there is agricultural evidence that there was some contact between them and South America (but it’s not something you can really research in any way to properly answer which came first). But, going back to Natan’s question about making a Polynesian cradle, I would still go back to Tonga, so there’s no need for me to address it since it’s already been excellently done by More Civs.

It seems that Marajó and Poverty Point make very strong cases for inclusion, to me anyway. I think you'd be able to do something very interesting with them after the Olmecs and Xia, and it'd be cool to continue with this theme. It'd also fit your map nicely, since there's not much space for a lot of other stuff unless you're planning the Aborigines or Siberian natives :lol:

The Kuk Swamp is also very interesting, but I don't know enough about it to say whether or not it'd make a good inclusion.

A lot of people adamantly refuse to get past agriculture, which is the main reason why I started talking about the mound cultures after Poverty Point. Again, I'm not 100% sure with the Americas, but I believe Poverty Point developed completely independently, before any potential date for Mesoamerican trade networks (in fact, maybe Poverty Point ultimately first established the Mississippi end of many of those networks). But if people (not me) refuse to consider Poverty Point because of agriculture, then you need to look at the later complex societies, at which point the question of trade contact is bigger (although, as you pointed out, not as well established). I don’t see trade routes as as much of a hang-up as you, though. You mentioned the routes between Mesopotamia and Egypt. "Egypt" actually developed really really early, so much so, that the Nile River cities might have technically beaten Mesopotamia. So the idea is that they developed civilization independently before significant trade occurred (which, again, I'm pretty sure is also the case with Poverty Point and Mesoamerica), making them a true cradle. It’s also what I was trying to say with Marajó. “Interrupted” and the site “ultimately being abandoned” came off a lot stronger than I intended. For the Andes, you can trace back to Norte Chico as a group of sites that definietly developed before any significant "international" trade. For the Amazon, it’s a more difficult question (and actually a big debate at the moment). The last I read, I believe there was evidence of some Andean influence during the middle phases of Marajó (but this could have been completely wrong). However, I ultimately don't know much about Marajó (besides knowing it was important to mention), so thanks for providing more information.

The Andean societies were quite distant, the closest arguably Andean societies would have been the Muisca and a few surrounding polities. Further north, there are the Sinu and Tairona, and moving eastward you get Carib and Arawak chiefdoms, which in the usual scheme constitute the intermediate zone between Mesoamerica, the Andes, and the Amazon basin. There was a lot of exchange of ideas in the area, including the spread of maize and manioc and some trade routes, but AFAIK Marajo would never have had contact with the Andes except in an extremely indirect manner.

I will comment on Polynesia, though, as Natan also brought it up. I don’t really think you can consider the Lapita as the cradle. There’s no doubt Polynesia can trace itself to the Lapita culture, but the culture itself is too generalized and spread out (and one case where I really do understand it as a Neolithic culture instead of a civilization). For the Polynesian cradle I would actually go with Tonga. Tonga (and to a lesser extent Samoa) is where Polynesian culture first developed from Lapita culture and is also the language urheimat. That means all the East and West Polynesian cultures and languages ultimately descend from Tonga. I think the main problem is trying to pin down a specific cradle. The idea is that the East Polynesian migration already began from the Tonga-Samoa area before civilization proper developed on Tonga. So while it did eventually occur on Tonga, it also technically occurred independently in East Polynesia (making two cradles, but it becomes a messy way of looking at things since one is still derived from the other). Then there are people that claim Hawaii didn’t meet the level of social organization needed before European contact (which is a poor excuse). I can sympathize with questioning Rapa Nui as there is agricultural evidence that there was some contact between them and South America (but it’s not something you can really research in any way to properly answer which came first). But, going back to Natan’s question about making a Polynesian cradle, I would still go back to Tonga, so there’s no need for me to address it since it’s already been excellently done by More Civs.

Hmm, I thought Tonga and Samoa were colonized from Fiji at more or less the same time? In any case, I'm still leaning towards Lapita as the cradle. I guess you could argue for Lapita as the cradle of Melanesian culture, and Tonga/Samoa and Tahiti as cradles for truly Polynesian society.

Btw, I read a recent study that found South American genes in Rapa Nuians. There was at least a bit of (maybe one-way) population exchange. AFAIK the contact hypothesis is all but confirmed at this point.

The Andean societies were quite distant, the closest arguably Andean societies would have been the Muisca and a few surrounding polities. Further north, there are the Sinu and Tairona, and moving eastward you get Carib and Arawak chiefdoms, which in the usual scheme constitute the intermediate zone between Mesoamerica, the Andes, and the Amazon basin. There was a lot of exchange of ideas in the area, including the spread of maize and manioc and some trade routes, but AFAIK Marajo would never have had contact with the Andes except in an extremely indirect manner.

Hmm, I thought Tonga and Samoa were colonized from Fiji at more or less the same time? In any case, I'm still leaning towards Lapita as the cradle. I guess you could argue for Lapita as the cradle of Melanesian culture, and Tonga/Samoa and Tahiti as cradles for truly Polynesian society.

Btw, I read a recent study that found South American genes in Rapa Nuians. There was at least a bit of (maybe one-way) population exchange. AFAIK the contact hypothesis is all but confirmed at this point.

I think one of the main things about Marajo is the time frame. Norte Chico was close to 2,000 years before the Olmec, and the Olmec were close to a 1,000 years before Marajo. As pointed out there was a lot of trade and exchange of ideas in between the Andes, Mesoamerica, Antilles, and Amazon areas. 3,000 years is seen as a big gap for a cradle to still emerge completely independently in that busy of an area. However, a lot of the early Marajo archeology was focused on proving the Amazon couldn't support civilization instead of examining the possibility on its own merits. So a lot of the research is sort of a self fulfilling prophecy hypothesizing influx from the Andes and Caribbean. It's only really recent research that's looking at it from the other way. But there just isn't that much research or field work in general to properly sort everything out.

For Polynesia, I think there are more Lapita sites in Tonga than Samoa (and the earliest Polynesian Lapita site is on Tonga), which is why Tonga ends up being talked about more, but it's properly the Tonga-Samoa area. But, yes, the Lapita culture came to Tonga and Samoa from Fiji at around the same time, but it didn't develop into Polynesian proper into it got to that island group (as Fiji is still Melanesian). Lapita is the ultimate source of Polynesian, Micronesian, and coastal Melanesian culture, but, I think, Lapita is not usually argued to be a civilization (as opposed to just a culture) as the sites don't exhibit the same type of social organization or population/class specialization that you see later on in Tonga and Hawai'i. But I don't really know enough about Lapita archeology to properly answer the question. I think viewing Polynesia as a cradle for some people suffers from separate stages of the development taking place over such a large area. You have some of the aspects of civilization developing with the Lapita culture while still in the Melanesia area, you have a few more developing in Tonga/Samoa and West Polynesia, then you have some more taking place in East Polynesia. People like to view the cradles as a nice small core area from which things branched out as opposed to the entire breadth of the Pacific.

Cradles of humanity ;)

Stretch that definition out, mileage for days!

What language do they speak? Indo-European?
:lol:

not Proto-Indo-Iranian xD

Top Bottom