Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

(:)lol:

Although the wording of the bill makes it sound less like a military academy or officer training school and more like an adult education in exchange for WAR! arrangement. :p))

((It is meant to be a sort of half and half between civilian and military))

We already have universities in all three major cities of Pulias, where adults who have had the luxury to get a base education can learn all kinds of trades. Rather than opening these War Colleges as you call them, we should open up our universities, along with the rest of our educational institutions, for all of our people to take part in education and research.

For those who voluntarily join our defensive forces there should of course be military training so that they are equipped to handle what might come with that job, but it should not be a last resort for those who were only looking to educate themselves and saw no other way but to sign up for conscription to get it.

Civilian and military education must remain separate, while both institutions need to open their arms for everyone who has the will to learn a new trade - may it be science, art, or defending the people.

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

Inventor Urges Government Investment
by Calvin Orville and Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
Charles Babbage, a founding member of the Royal Astronomical Society, has given a speech in Pulias City arguing for government investment in his recent invention, the difference engine. The device is an automatic mechanical calculator designed to perform complex calculations much faster and more accurately than the human mind.

The thirty-one-year-old figure associated with the founding of the Royal Astronomical Society in Pulias City two years ago, Mister Babbage recently submitted a paper to the Society titled Note on the application of machinery to the computation of astronomical and mathematical tables where he expounded upon the boundless possibilities available through the use of devices such as his difference engine.

Mister Babbage made pointed comments which were clearly aimed at the current coalition government. "If the Pulian government does not provide sufficient investments so as to afford the construction in each of our nation's cities then the great Pulian nation will inevitably fall impossibly behind the other great nations of this modern world who do make such investments."

The Minister of Construction, Senator the Honourable Gustavus Gurra responded to this challenge. "I have throughout my political career supported Charles Babbage's work on these Difference Engines. And it is high on the list of priorities at the Department of Construction to get those built in our cities since they would help strengthen our production and future research projects."

Civilian and military education must remain separate, while both institutions need to open their arms for everyone who has the will to learn a new trade - may it be science, art, or defending the people.

Here's my doubt, a Pulian entering military life gets no right to another form of higher education in paralel then? While he's not defending the country, should he not improve his mind too if it is his wish?

Fellow Senators, this Charles Babbage is correct, we cannot fall behind in technological progress. I recommend that we draft a bill to put in place a system for grants and investments for research and construction purposes.

Here's my doubt, a Pulian entering military life gets no right to another form of higher education in paralel then? While he's not defending the country, should he not improve his mind too if it is his wish?

Of course, I have in no way opposed to that. All I'm saying is that there is no need for these separate military colleges. Our defensive forces already provide military training for those who wish to join. Our universities already provide civilian education in many different arts and sciences for those who apply, and we seek to open up this path for more people, including military personnel. We want to provide education for all citizens, not just those who wish to be part of our defensive forces.

A person who has undergone military training can after said education is done - you don't need to be in training your whole life - study at a university. Or someone who has already studied at a university may later choose to undergo military training. The two are not mutually exclusive.

What I am opposing is providing civilian education under the military banner because this might force people to be drafted into our defensive forces when all they were looking for was education. Those in the military will in their capacity as civilians still be able to educate themselves at other institutions if they want that.

Fellow Senators, this Charles Babbage is correct, we cannot fall behind in technological progress. I recommend that we draft a bill to put in place a system for grants and investments for research and construction purposes.

There is no need to draft such bill, as this is already included in upcoming orders from the Department of Construction. I have also made a comment on this to the Haven Herald as you can read in the article.

The time for debate has expired.

I move that the bill be read a second time.

((Since no amendments were proposed that means this is a vote on the bill as a whole))

I of course vote aye. ((Will also make a speech and possible newspaper(?))

Sorry I've been so quiet lately. Just been very busy with work and stuff.

Hoping to catch up on this tomorrow

The voting period has expired. The vote was tied but a quorum was not achieved hence the vote failed regardless.

The vote tally is below:

Ayes | Noes | Abstains
Augustus (PIP)|William Melda (PPP)|Heerlo (PAU)
||Ernest Barnard (PAU)
||Gustavus Gurra (PPP)
||Albert Bazil (PIP)
||Edwin Zachariah (Ind)

I am intending to give notice of the upcoming legislative session for the next week, which I will in a moment.

Senatorial Pairing

However first I would like to introduce an initiative we in the Pulias People's Party and the Pulian Advancement Union have agreed will be important in ensuring procedural fairness here in the chamber. We would invite the Opposition and crossbench Senators to join us in adopting this convention, which is not a rule in the hard and fast sense --- it will not be legislated --- but as a process obeying the concept of a fair go and which will rely upon the honour system to be in effect.

We would like to adopt a process, referred to in other nations' parliamentary system as pairing. In this all parties and representatives agree that if a representative is unable to attend a vote for legitimate reasons --- more on that in a moment --- then a representative of an opposing party across the chamber abstains from that vote to ensure fairness overall.

For example, if the Honourable Leader of the Opposition were ill and unable to attend a vote, the Government would offer one of its Senators to pair with him to ensure the Opposition is not one vote down. If the Honourable Prime Minister were trapped in a blizzard, the Opposition would offer one of its Senators to pair with him to ensure the Government is not one vote down. If all three of the current parties in the Senate were in favour of voting for a bill but the independent crossbench Senator was known to be against the proposal, but had broken a leg and could not make it into the chamber then one of the parties voting 'aye' would offer up a pair.

The point of this is to ensure that legislation is not passed or defeated based upon the ill winds of chance. If a Senator has a legitimate reason for not being able to attend a vote, and he notifies the Senate before the commencement of the the vote then a pair can be arranged. What brought this to the centre of our attention was the fact that the Opposition Leader might be indisposed for a few days and therefore there was a the chance he might miss some key votes. Instead of leaving the Opposition's strength operating at half the Government would have offered up one of its votes to pair with his and therefore negate his absence mathematically.

As said, this will be a guideline not a rule. And obviously what constitutes a valid reason for missing a vote will be subject to the discretion of the Senate ((this is really intended for, say, someone travelling and who can't get to a computer, or whose Internet access is lost for a week or so, but I've given a plausible in-story reason for it :p)).

Notice of Legislative Schedule

This is to give notice to the chamber that the next bill to be considered by the Senate is the Senate Voting Act 1822. It is to provide clarity to procedural matters pertaining to voting within the Senate, and is intended to formalise existing arrangements where appropriate, and create new processes in the absence of others. This bill will be commended to the Senate shortly. It is expected that this bill be under consideration for three to five days, or up to seven days of amendments are proposed.

Once the Senate Voting Act 1822 is finished being considered by the chamber, the Orders Act 1822 will be commended to the Senate by the Honourable Prime Minister.

Any other legislative business should wait until those two bills are no longer before thee Senate. Obviously in emergency or urgent circumstances this schedule can change, but this is just to allow for some understanding and expectation of what bills are coming up. I will present the Senate Voting Act 1822 soon.

The following bill is intended to codify Senate voting rules to ensure the consistent and smooth running of legislation through the chamber balanced with appropriate safeguards to ensure legislation is properly scrutinised and reviewed. It is intended that the Government, the Opposition and crossbenchers be given opportunity to make valuable and constructive input to the legislative process.

If this bill is adopted instead of explaining with each part of a bill the timeframes and what happens next people can simply refer back to this Act.

The timeframes and phases of this bill, including the debating timeframes and proposing of amendments, etc. will be in accordance with the original draft text of the bill, which means the maximum duration for the conclusion of the Senate in dealing with this legislation, regardless of the ultimate outcome will be seven days, five if no amendments are proposed. While all future legislation, as per the provisions of this bill, will have fast-track clauses if two-thirds of the Senate agree to it --- the current threshold for passing constitutional amendments seems a fair threshold for agreement to rush legislation through --- which means uncontroversial legislation with cross-factional appeal could be resolved in as short a timeframe as a day, I would prefer if more time were taken with this particular bill since it will act as a framework for all future voting timeframes.

I commend the bill to the chamber, and I move that the bill be read the first time.

Senate Voting Act 1822 - Long Title

An Act relating to the Codification of Senate Voting Rules​

Section 1: Short title

This Act may be cited as the Senate Voting Act 1822.​

Section 2: Commencement

(1) All sections shall come into operation on the day on which this Act passes the Senate in the positive.​

Section 3: Interpretation

"Act" or "Act of Senate" is a statute enacted as primary legislation by the Pulian Senate.

"bill" refers to an unlegislated Act under consideration by the Senate.

"Government Bill" means a bill proposed by a Government minister on behalf of the Government.

"Private Senator's Bill" means a bill proposed by any Senator not on the behalf of the Government.

"quorum" means the minimum number of Senators required to participate in a vote on the Senate floor for it to be considered valid.​

Section 4: Passage of Acts

(1) In order to become law all bills must undergo the following passage through the Senate:

(a) they are commended to the chamber;

(b) a period for debate occurs in which the proposal of amendments can be made;

(c) any amendments proposed during the debate are voted on; and

(d) the bill as a whole is voted on and the bill either passes into law or is rejected by the Senate.​

Section 4A: Commendation

(1) Bills are commended to the Senate by a Senator who provides the text of the bill and an explanation as to the intent of the bill.

(2) The types of bills are:

(a) Government Bills which are introduced by Government Senators on behalf of the Government; and

(b) Private Senator's Bills which are introduced by any Senator not on the behalf of the Government.​

(3) The Senator who commends the bill to the chamber moves a motion that the bill be read for the first time which signals the time for debate has begun.​

Section 4B: Debate

(1) Bills are debated by Senators prior to any votes being held.

(2) During the debating period arguments for and against the bills can be read and amendments to the bill proposed.

(3) The standard time set aside in the Senate for the debating of bills is three days.

(4) The debating period can be cut short and the voting phase as detailed in Section 4C undertaken immediately at any time in that period if:

(a) at least two-thirds of the Senate consent to it; or

(b) if the leaders of parties that represent two-thirds of the Senate consent to it.​

(5) If extra time beyond the standard debating time is deemed necessary to continue the debating period the time can be extended if:

(a) a simple majority of Senators consent to it; or

(b) if the leaders of parties that represent a simple majority of the Senate consent to it.​

Section 4C: Voting

(1) All votes carried out on a bill, whether on an amendment to the bill or on the passage of a bill as a whole must meet the quorum requirements set out in Section 4D.

(2) If any amendments were proposed during the debating period of Section 4B then:

(a) each amendment must be voted on:

(i) a simple majority vote in favour of an amendment results in the bill being thusly amended;

(ii) a simple majority vote against an amendment results in the amendment motion failing; and

(iii) a tied vote for an amendment results in the amendment motion failing.​

(b) the voting timeframes for amendments are:

(i) a maximum duration of two days; however

(ii) if an outcome of the vote is resolved in less time than the maximum allowed for in subsection (2) the bill may progress to the voting detailed in subsection (3).​

(c) multiple amendments may be voted on simultaneously.​

(3) If there were no amendments proposed or otherwise after all amendment votes have been finalised then the bill as a whole is voted on:

(a) a Senator moves that the bill be read a second time which commences the vote to determine if the bill is passed into law:

(i) a simple majority vote in favour of the bill results in the bill thusly passing into law;

(ii) a simple majority vote against the bill results in the bill being rejected by the Senate; and

(iii) a tied vote for a bill results in the bill being rejected by the Senate.​

(b) the voting timeframes for the passage of the entire bill are:

(i) a maximum duration of two days; however

(ii) if an outcome of the vote is resolved in less time than the maximum allowed for in subsection (3) the bill may be passed into law sooner than that.​

Section 4D: Quorum

(1) All votes in Section 4C are subject to the quorum.

(2) The quorum of the Pulian Senate is half the total number of Senators plus one, where numbers not whole are rounded down.

(3) Only a quorum of Senators can cast a vote that will amend legislation or pass bills as per Section 4C.

(4) Votes as per Section 4C which do not involve a quorum of Senators are deemed to have failed.​

I think this bill will provide a good and fair set of rules for bringing legislation through the Senate.

((If anyone's interested, I rejiggered the 1822 election results --- click on the link in my signature.

The previous version listed Bouncy Mischa as a PAU candidate even though he wasn't because enough voters were convinced of it. The new version lists two different sets of numbers: one assuming he was PAU and one assuming he was an independent.

I was thinking about how calculating the swing for the next election will make it look like the PAU, even if they retain their current standing, would look like suffering a swing against them which wouldn't be true. I'll just use this split numbers technique for the next election and then after that we can go back to normal because this affair will be long behind us.))

((cpm: Is there any chance of confirming exactly what buildings each city has? I have a partial list, but not a complete one.

This is partly for roleplaying purposes, partly for policy/infrastructure planning purposes. :)

There is no haste associated with this request.))

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

Historic Hieroglyphic Horizon Heralded
by Isaiah Meriwether

It here follows:

Spoiler :
A breakthrough has been made in deciphering Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs by the Dalmacian scholar Jean-François Champollion.

Based upon earlier work published by the Pulian polymath Doctor Thomas Young and his work with the Rosetta Stone, Mister Champollion last week announced his breakthrough at the Royal Academy of Inscriptions and Humanities in Dalmace City in front of an amazed audience which included Doctor Young.

The Pulian Minister of Culture, Senator the Honourable William Melda responded to the developments from his office in Senate House, Pulias City, "This is an outstanding achievement worthy of the history books. Truly when great men place their minds to such seemingly impossible tasks, all things are possible. May I say that all Dalmacians and Pulians should be proud of this achievement: Dalmacians for Mister Champollion's amazing breakthrough and Pulians because of the fact that our very own Doctor Thomas Young's impressive work made him the key."

Doctor Young responded to the developments by praising the Dalmacian scholar's success, explaining that "If he did borrow a Pulian key, the lock was so dreadfully rusty that no common arm would have had strength enough to turn it. You will easily believe that were I ever so much the victim of the bad passions, I should feel nothing but exultation at Mister Champollion's success: my life seems indeed to be lengthened by the accession of a junior coadjutor in my researches, and of a person too, who is so much more versed in the different dialects of the Egyptian language than myself."

Such praise by the Pulian polymath is particularly poignant given that he himself can speak fourteen different languages.

((cpm: Is there any chance of confirming exactly what buildings each city has? I have a partial list, but not a complete one.

This is partly for roleplaying purposes, partly for policy/infrastructure planning purposes. :)

There is no haste associated with this request.))

I'll try to get this information, and the survey responses from the independent, to you this coming weekend (probably will post the building stuff in the thread, so everyone can see it, if that's all right with you).

Top Bottom