Realpolitik of the Smoky Skies - The Reboot

OOC:
Wasn't Pulias originally Great Britain? And Christos von Bismarck is pretty german-sounding...which means, just like fellow fascist Adolf Hitler, Christos von Bismarck is an absolute hypocrite.

This is only slightly apropos of what you're talking about, but I have to say I was tempted to wait to kill off the Majah until the next turnset and have a young woman from the Eruchian state of Revonnah ascend the throne of Pulias.
But instead you got someone from Austria :p.
In other news, campaigning is closed, voting commences. Each player in the cities of Coventry and Haven of Peace may now cast ONE vote for their favored candidate.

I vote for myself.

Spoiler :
Foreign intervention in Pulian Government?
By Jacob Thorn
The shocking events of the recent election have some concerned citizens doubting the veracity of election. Many have expressed dissatisfaction at the results and believe that Mr.Huggins himself resorted to bribing voters with political favors and money to win the election. While no politicians have made allegations, some believe that the nations of Europa have a vested interest in seeing Pulias weak and have implanted foreign agents to game the politician system.

((The Red Gazette is in NO way affiliated with the PIP))

OOC: I'm working on a project that might make this a lot more interesting (it could fail miserably, too, but...) As such, could the leaders of the various parties answer these questions about their parties? Note that they don't really have any sort of in-game effect (yet), they're just for flavor and will not affect POP opinions or the like.

1) Economic Policy (how much the government should be involved in the economy): Laissez-Faire [no intervention], Interventionalism [moderate government involvement], State Capitalism [the government runs almost all of the economy], Planned Economy [the government is the economy].

2) Trade Policy: Free Trade [no or limited tariffs], Protectionism [tariffs!]

3) Religious Policy: Moralism [government-sponsored religion], Pluralism [people are nudged towards following the majority religion], Secularized [religion isn't a factor in politics], Atheism [government-sponsored lack of religion]

4) Citizenship Policy: Residency [immigrants aren't people], Limited Citizenship [immigrants have some rights], Full Citizenship [immigrants have the same rights as everyone else]

5) War Policy: Pacifism [war is bad], Anti Military [war is mostly bad and should only be conducted for defense], Pro Military [defensive and some offensive wars are justifiable], Jingoism [war is good! Make war!]

Some of you might recognize where this list o' questions came from, and you'd be right.

Nationalist Party:

1) Economic Policy (how much the government should be involved in the economy): Laissez-Faire [no intervention]

2) Trade Policy: Protectionism [tariffs!]

3) Religious Policy: Moralism [government-sponsored religion]

4) Citizenship Policy: Residency [immigrants aren't people]

5) War Policy: Jingoism [war is good! Make war!]

((A bit of vicky flavor eh?))

Economic: State Capitalism

Trade Policy:Free Trade

Religious Policy: Pluralism

Citizenship Policy: Full Citizenship

War Policy:pro Military

"Poor von Bismarck can't tell the difference between a man and a woman, it seems." Sofia sarcastically said.

(How Sofia can respond to these things so quickly despite being in Haven of Peace, nobody knows.)
OOC: Eh, likely the same way that Ernest was being dismissive of Sofia shortly after hr giving a speech in a random bar. ;)

And I think there's than a bit of Vicky. Not that I mind it, as I rather like that game. :)

Pulian Advancement Union:
1) Economic Policy: Interventionalism

2) Trade Policy: Free Trade

3) Religious Policy: Atheism (We have a religion? :p)

4) Citizenship Policy: Full Citizenship

5) War Policy: Anti Military

Sounds like an interesting concept, but you will have to wait a little bit longer for answers from the Pulias People's Party as I will need to confirm party policy with my fellow comrades first.

I like how Magnive wrote his, so I will follow suit.

Richterson:
1) Economic Policy: Planned Economy

2) Trade Policy: Protectionism

3) Religious Policy: Secularized

4) Citizenship Policy: Full Citizenship

5) War Policy: Anti Military

I like how Magnive wrote his, so I will follow suit.

You actually didn't have to do this, because you're not a party :p. No worries, though. I'll file it on the off chance you end up starting your own organization.

(How Sofia can respond to these things so quickly despite being in Haven of Peace, nobody knows.)

I assumed it was broadcast by the power of sarcasm, which knows no bounds. :)

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

Allegations of Voter Fraud in Coventry
by Calvin Orville and Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
There have been accusations of voter fraud in the recent election, most recently in the Red Gazette.

It is alleged by figures such as Christos von Bismarck, founder and leader of the new fascistic Nationalist Party, that widespread voter fraud took place in order to install foreign agents into the Pulian Senate and Government. Presumably the targets of such include the Pulias People's Party, which saw its highest vote count, percentage and seats won in the election.

Such explosive claims by necessity require strong evidence to back them up and to date no evidence has been produced. It seems especially incredible that the Pulian Electoral Commission would be unaware or in partnership with any perversion of the electoral process.

To resolve this, the Haven Herald's political reporter Harland Godwin travelled to Coventry to investigate and the evidence he has uncovered is shocking.

"I spoke with a participant of the Pulias People's Party's campaign in Coventry that successfully elected got Percy Huggins to the Senate. This participant only spoke with me on the condition of anonymity."

And what scandalous evidence did he uncover from his anonymous source.

"It seems the PPP engaged in a very targeted, disciplined campaign that involved distribution of written material in the form of letters. On one occasion some of the volunteers apparently folded their campaign materials into paper aeroplanes and chased voters down the streets with them, screaming 'nraaarrrr'. Truly bizarre stuff."

Explosive evidence that some volunteers engaged in truly strange activities during the recent election campaign.

But what about evidence of widespread voter fraud? What did Mister Godwin discover?

"Oh yeah, it's bollocks. I was surprised as anyone when Senator-elect Huggins won, but he actually managed to legitimately convince the voters to put him in the Senate."

((Note: if you want to listen to the composition referred to in this article by the cultural reporter, the link to do so is here. Enjoy!))

Today's edition of the Haven Herald also contained the following article:

Sad Streets of Solitude
by Isaiah Meriwether

It here follows:

Spoiler :
Another Melda work, another morose offering. The twenty-five-year-old composer's latest piece, The Lonely Streets for flute and piano is undoubtedly sad and nostalgic, but the flute line alternates between this sadness and a sense of bittersweetness. There's not much I can say about the work musically, other than it featured very modern harmonic structures and appears to have an underlying programme which has not been provided for the listener to help clarify its meaning.

Mr. Charles Melda agreed to give me some answers to the questions posed by this piece. "The lonely streets referred in the title are the streets of our national capital. I was inspired by the anonymity that can be found in Pulias City and the loneliness it can cause. I stay in the capital sometimes while visiting my father when Senate is in session. Haven of Peace has certainly grown, but I don't know if it's because I know so many people here or what, but it doesn't, for me, hold that kind of easily-attained sense of anonymity that the capital has in abundance. I feel I could go missing there and it would be weeks before anyone realised."

I asked if this was a subtle way of saying that the voters should not have returned his father, Senator-elect the Honourable William Melda, to the Pulian Senate. He laughed at the intentionally preposterous suggestion. "No, my father does good, important work there. I salute him for braving the busy capital to continue his good works." So he had the composer's vote at the recent election?"Absolutely he did. My father has achieved great things in his first term in government. I am proud to see him returned to continue those good works."

So there you have it: a semi-autobiographical piece about a son when he visits his father in the big city. It is against the Haven Herald's editorial policy to make overt political statements for or against any candidates, but since this composer is not a candidate I can say this: if the name Charles Melda appeared on my ballot paper he would surely receive my vote.

Portrait of Charles Melda, composer (1830)

Today's edition of the Haven Herald contained the following article:

Allegations of Voter Fraud in Coventry
by Calvin Orville and Harland Godwin

It here follows:

Spoiler :
There have been accusations of voter fraud in the recent election, most recently in the Red Gazette.

It is alleged by figures such as Christos von Bismarck, founder and leader of the new fascistic Nationalist Party, that widespread voter fraud took place in order to install foreign agents into the Pulian Senate and Government. Presumably the targets of such include the Pulias People's Party, which saw its highest vote count, percentage and seats won in the election.

Such explosive claims by necessity require strong evidence to back them up and to date no evidence has been produced. It seems especially incredible that the Pulian Electoral Commission would be unaware or in partnership with any perversion of the electoral process.

To resolve this, the Haven Herald's political reporter Harland Godwin travelled to Coventry to investigate and the evidence he has uncovered is shocking.

"I spoke with a participant of the Pulias People's Party's campaign in Coventry that successfully elected got Percy Huggins to the Senate. This participant only spoke with me on the condition of anonymity."

And what scandalous evidence did he uncover from his anonymous source.

"It seems the PPP engaged in a very targeted, disciplined campaign that involved distribution of written material in the form of letters. On one occasion some of the volunteers apparently folded their campaign materials into paper aeroplanes and chased voters down the streets with them, screaming 'nraaarrrr'. Truly bizarre stuff."

Explosive evidence that some volunteers engaged in truly strange activities during the recent election campaign.

But what about evidence of widespread voter fraud? What did Mister Godwin discover?

"Oh yeah, it's bollocks. I was surprised as anyone when Senator-elect Huggins won, but he actually managed to legitimately convince the voters to put him in the Senate."

Upon reading this article, Sofia put the paper down and threw it into the trash bin. "I am starting to really regret accepting his offer to interview me." she said while massaging the temples.

Top Bottom