Act III: Carthago Delenda Est
Act IV: Divus Zeno
Act V: The Ides of March
The Tale of Zenon: Lies
Book II: Pax Massalia
Act I: Zenon's Progeny
Act II: Empire of the East
Act III: Edge of the World
The Secret History of Massalia: Echemmon the Sharmat?
Act IV: The City of Light
Taraka's Speech atop the Acropolis of Apollonia
Act V: Barbarians on the Horizon
Act VI: Taraka Rising
Act VII: Androsthenes Proposal
Act VIII: The End of an Era
Pax Massalia: Lies
Book III: The Reaper's Cleansing
Act I: Thrown to Fate

==========================
Prologue
Oh, you're here! Do come in I say, do come in, Master Zenon has just returned from his summer campaigns in Italy. I'm sure he'll be excited to see you. I'm Haskill by the way, Chamberlain and Adviser to our great Strategos.

You continue to walk down the halls of the palace, following closely behind Haskill.

He is a somewhat portly man, with thick, long brown hair and light green eyes.
The walls around you are decorated lavishly with blue banners emblazoned with the Lion of Massalia. At last, you make it to the end of the path, near a gold door. Written above the door in fine greek is the word "Strategos". You enter and see a man staring intently at a map on the far wall.

You get closer and see that it's a map of the Massalian Empire, recently founded after the war with Rome. It has light blue borders showing the boundaries of the empire.

The man turns to greet you.

Greetings Haskill and Associate, what brings you to my study.

Before I get a chance to answer, Haskill speaks for me.

"He is here to inquire where you have been all these long months. If I recall, when he asked he used the word "Hiatus" to describe your absence.

Zenon looks me in the eye. His dark brown eyes like embers in the low candle light. His thick, curly, dark brown hair shifting ever slightly. After a short pause, he clears his throat and begins to speak.

Why yes, let's see... Starting early in the Italian Campaign, news reached me after razing Mediolanum of my parents divorce. All my plans for the campaign were put on hold, and the army continued south to Rome without me. Eventually, towards the end of Summer as the army requested more men to the south, I had to still stay behind due to my schooling starting back up. I was able to rejoin the campaign in early September though, and took Rome. Now I am back in Massalia, and can continue my duties as Strategos from the Subforum in the Senate Chambers. Now, if you excuse me, I must return to my stories

Spoiler :

The Massalian Empire after the conquests of Strategos Zenon
========================================================

That's right every man, woman, child, and cartoon horse, Moai is back for the umpteenth time!

in case you're bad with thinly veiled metaphors, let me explain my sudden disappearance and reappearance now. So early in the summer after i had done my more recent updates, my computer suddenly ganked out. and by suddenly, i really do mean suddenly, as i was playing some eu4 while it was raining and some lighting messed with the power and managed to fry my laptop. After that, my parents got a divorce, which took up even more of my time do to legal stuff, and then, by the time everything had cooled down enough for me to return, school was about to start, so i just decided to wait until i got readjusted to school to come back to cfc. Also, so i don't have to update like 10 stories weekly, all my stories are offically dead for the time being, though I probably will continue sometime next month working on City Between the Rivers and the one about Trotskyist New Rome whose title escapes me.

Anywho, Enough about IRL stuff, Let's talk about this game!
So i decided I needed an intesting story, originally i was going to door catholic moors, but then that was boring, so i started a new game. Since I have been playing RTW2 as the massalians, I thought that would be interesting here.

I may update again tonight, but expect the next update to be tomorrow.

Massalia? Interesting. SUB!
How are you going to manage stability?

subbed.

The City of Massalia, a rainy October morning.

The city of Massalia was awakened early in the morning by the sound of clattering hooves as a chariot raced to the senate house. Sticking out the back of the chariot was an upright banner of sorts, light blue with an owl emblazoned on it. Those that caught glimpse of it knew that banner anywhere, the Athenians had come.

3 a.m., the Massalian Senate

The Chariot stopped at the edge of the senate house, and two men stepped out. One took with him the Athenian banner, the other took out a document that was tucked beneath his toga. They entered the building triumphantly, believing themselves to be the superior.

The sleepy senate, which had been discussing the problem of inflation in newly conquered Italia, snapped awake. Zenon stepped forward and looked the message bearer in the eye.
"Why do you come to our proud city, Athenian, what message could you possibly bring!"

"The league in Corinth has taken note of your seizure of Italy, particularly the seizure of the Greek Poleis present on the Peninsula. This has particularly angered Sparta and Epirus, who demand the Poleis be given to control of the Hellenic League."

"Really now? If Sparta and Epirus wanted the Italian Poleis so badly, they should've took them from Rome themselves. Oh wait, they already tried that with poor Pyrrhus. No, I think Massalia will keep the territory for itself. If your pathetic league wants the Poleis so badly, come and take them."

"I thought it would come to this..."

The Athenian messanger gave the Strategos Zenon the rolled up document.

"By the power of the Hellenic League of Corinth, all greek states on the holy soil of Hellas, Thrace, and Epirus declare a state of war with the Massalian Empire. In the choosing of peace or war, you have chosen war, so war we will grant you."

The senate boomed with clamoring voices, all screaming out the same reply

"We accept it!"

and so the Great Hellenic War began.

vs.

The following day, The Great Cothon of Massalia, 7 a.m.

Zenon looked loving at his troops, as a father looks lovingly at his children.
The two units of hoplitai that regularly garrisoned Massalia were present, as was the recently built hoplite unit that had been in the works for a while. The men were boarding the galleys, where they would sail to the adriatic coast and pick up another hoplite unit in Italy. From Trieste a fifth hoplite unit would march on Apollonia, capital of Epirus.

As the last of the men filed onto the galleys, Zenon donned his helm and got on his private boat, where his body guard was waiting. They greeted him with hoots and hollers and talked about all the glory, booty, and of course, women that this venture would bring them. All they had to do was endure the journey.

========================================================

Under the cover of night, the ships silently sailed into the harbor of Apollonia, like black swans gracefully hunting their prey.The Men crept out, and began creating a ruckus. The archers and phalanges of the city fell for the distraction, and rushed to close the harbor side gate. What they hadn't noticed was the unit of hoplitai that Zenon had sent through Illyria was in position to pounce. They stormed through the north gate and secured the city center. Meanwhile, at the harbor side wall, the battle was fierce, but the unit that had secured the city suddenly attacked the Epirote flank and rear, which caused a route. At least, it would've been a route if the Epirotes weren't surrounded by Massalians and slaughtered completely and utterly.

Spoiler :

Zenon left some men to garrison the city, and prepared to sail to Sparta. If the Massalians could capture the city, then they would be in a prefect position to take Athens, then all of Hellas. Luckily and unbeknownst to Zenon, the dreaded Spartan Hoplitai were off defending Asia Minor from Persian advances on Byzantion, as they considered the war with Massalia a mere sideshow. This left the city virtually undefended, with the only garrison being Cretan archers and the local militia.

In late October, Zenon began the journey from Apollonia. By the 1st of November, he had reached Sparta.

As with Epirus, Zenon decided to use surprise to his advantage. He decided to silently surround the unwalled city by hiding behind nearby hills. Under cover of night once again, Three columns of hoplitai advanced into the settlement. The garrison, taken offguard, hastily woke up and attempted to save the city. It was to no avail, as they were slaughtered, and the ancient city burned to the ground, so as no military would ever be better than that of Massalia.

Spoiler :

While Zenon was stationed in Massalia to collect the reinforcements needed to take Athens itself, a representative of the distant Gupta Empire approached the Senate with a trade offer. His offer was accepted, and soon gems of all color and type could be found in the city. Typically among the wealthy. Zenon took note of their greed, their unwillingness to extend the benefits of the republic to Italy or the soon to be conquered Hellas, and their general disdain of the hellenized gauls present both in the city, but also in the North. He vowed to oneday create a republic that truly represented the wishes of all Massalians, greek and barbarian Alike. After all, they were part of Massalia, why not share in those benefits?

Spoiler :

The new army was ready, the Illyrian garrison of Apollonia was too. All that remained was to take the heart of the Hellenic League. Athens would soon pay for it's transgressions against Massalia.
Spoiler :

Massalia? Interesting. SUB!
How are you going to manage stability?

the first step will be to regain my core, and after that I'll just have to spam courthouses and choose the right civics.

edit: this was a double post btw, the update is above

The City of Athens, 2 a.m.

All around him the his once proud city burned. The smoke carrying with it the agonizing cries of women and children. Approaching him came a a proud Gallic horse being ridden by an even prouder Massalian. Before he could scream, he was cut down where he lay...

Echemmon woke up in a frightened sweat. It was only a dream. Or was it? Both Epirus and Sparta had fallen to the might of Massalia. Athens was next. Luckily for Athens, it had a strong navy, and it's standing army was present, having been recalled from Asia Minor after Sparta was burned to the ground. Echemmon, as Strategos of Athens, had spent the winter preparing for Massalia's spring campaign. Though, Massalia hadn't been idle either, Athenian scouts proved that much to be true.

==============================================

The Massalian Camp 7p.m to 6 a.m.
Zenon's Host surrounded the city, Illyrians in the north and Greeks in the south. They could not defeat the Athenian navy, however, so a siege was ruled out. Zenon would have to assault the city directly. He had his men gather camp and settle in for the night. Zenon began to doze off...

Zenon suddenly found himself in a brilliant marble building, high on a mountain top. From his high perch he could see all of Hellas, from the Statue of Zeus at Olympia to the lone stone pillar which commemorated Thermopylae. He turned and saw a man standing at 10 feet, with a brilliant dark blue toga. In one hand he held a trident which radiated power. It was Poseidon, god of the sea. Without saying a word, he put into Zenon's mind a plan to take the city of Athens. However, Zenon knew that this knowledge came with a price. After the war in Hellas, the god wanted him to destroy Carthage, completely and utterly, so that the Phoenicians would never make a mockery by taming his seas again.

Zenon woke to the early rays of dawn. It was a dream. But he now had a clear strategy in mind, and he would use it to his advantage.

Zenon had each unit of Hoplitai build a 12 foot tall wooden horse at each gate. Then, feigning retreat, behind behind the hills of Athens. The trap was set.

The Acropolis, 7 a.m.
Echemmon stared out from the Acropolis at the retreating Massalians. They had left wooden horses of all things at each gate of the city. Did they think him a fool? Every true Greek knew the story of the Trojan war by heart by the age of 4. He order the men to go out, and burn the horses. The Massalians would not sneak into his city.

The Gates of Athens, 9 a.m.
As the Athenians in a loose formation came out and began to burn the horses, Zenon sprang the trap. The whole of the Massalian Army marched on the disorganized men of Athens and began a great slaughter.

The Athenians lay dead on the field, and the city was claimed for Massalia. Echemmon, having witnessed his failure, had fled to Carthage. Little did he know that soon he would meet Zenon once again.

The Piraeus, Harbor of Athens, 4 p.m.

Zenon prepared to sail once again. The destination, North Africa.

The following conquest would bring a level of devastation to the region that would take over a millennia for it to even begin to recover from the destruction wrought by Zenon in the name of Poseidon.

Spoiler :

Carthage, 12 p.m.
The hot desert sun shone over the city of Carthage, glistening beautifully off the marble of the city. Inside the great senate building of Carthage, sat Ozymandias. He had been recently reelected, due in part to his success in regaining much of Carthage's glory after it had been lost during the Massalian Sack of Iberia. The senate had even built a statue of him in the heart of the city. But these facts were currently far from Ozymandias' mind. For, sitting before him, was Echemmon, once the great Strategos of Athens, reduced to a groveling exile by Massalia.

"Why have you come here, Athenian?"

"I already told you, Massalia took Athens, I had to flee."

"I know that, but why did you come to Carthage, why not Egypt or Persia?"

"Have you not heard Ozymandias? The League of Corinth was attacked by those Achaemenid bastards. Why do you think Sparta fell so easily to Massalia? The cream of it's troops were in Ancyra, where even now they hold the Persians at bay. Surely, they would execute me, for it was I who ordered the Spartans to Asia Minor."

"Still, why didn't you go to egypt?"

"More of a matter of preference, I have friends in Carthage. Besides, the farther away I am from Persia, the better."

"Fair enough I suppose, I guess I'll have to find a use for you."

Suddenly, an exausted messanger burst into the room

"Master Ozymandias, *pant* the Massalians are here in force *pant* soon they will be at the walls *pant*."

"Echemmon"

"Yes Ozymandias?"

"You know more about the Massalians and Zenon than any Carthaginian general. I want you to find Hasdrubal here in the city, and prepare our defence. Baal-Hammon be with you"

Spoiler :

The battle of Carthage, 3 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Zenon woke to a loud twang. He knew that sound anywhere. Catapults. The smell of pitch reached his nostrils, and sounds of agony and burn flesh filled the air. He rushed out of his tent and got on his proud gallic bay, and began to rally the men. Within the hour the Hoplitai had taken out the catapults thanks to Sicilian Slingers Zenon had picked up on the way to Carthage. One of the siege towers had been destroyed in the onslaught, but otherwise he could begin an assault. Signals were sent all around the camp, and a messenger was sent to the fleet to get the Italian swordsmen ready.

Zenon gripped his Xiphos and prepared to fight. As he climbed the siege tower,however, he could sense that something was wrong. Eventually, he made it to the top and into the beautiful twilight of dawn. He held his own in the fighting, and the less disciplined Carthaginians routed from the walls. To follow up this victory, Zenon decided to take the square.Yet something still didn't feel right. It was too quiet. He walked out the of the now Massalian controlled gate and mounted his Gallic Bay. He took his position from the back of the Army. When they got to the city center, they found it empty. All that stood there was a large wooden elephant and the Statue of Ozymandias. Everything was fine yet felt so wrong. Soon one of the units of Italian swordsmen showed up, and informed Zenon that the other one would arrive shortly. He decided instead to meet the unit before they got to the center, so he left with his body guard. As he marched the proud stone roads of Carthage on his way to meet the unit, the morning sun at last appeared in full above the horizon. It was a clear beautiful day.

Then the sound of fire and death came from the square as the Carthaginian plan reached it's climax. For, unbeknownst to Zenon, the Greek inventor Aristotle had joined the Carthaginians when he had to flee from Syracuse during the Massalian Invasion. Echemmon knew this, so he had Aristotle create a gigantic wooden elephant filled with pitch and tar, and a large magnifying glass that, when the morning sun appeared above the horizon, would set the elephant alight and spill burning pitch and tar all over the city square. When Zenon finally met up with the now final Massalian unit, a great host appeared. Half of the city guard had been kept in the barracks, and now they were ready to do battle with the groggy Massalians. For hours the swordsmen fought shield to shield, backed into a corner at the city walls. Thought the fighting was rough, Zenon managed to slay Ozymandias, and the Carthaginians routed. Few managed to survive, but among them was Echemmon, now the Leader of Carthage by popular vote. He would also be it's last.

The city was burned to the ground, and Zenon prepared to return to Massalia to gather a new host. With a final gaze at the ruined city and the mass grave of his comrades, Zenon said only one thing to his Latin troops, and it was in their native tongue. "Carthago delenda est"

Spoiler :

A proud but somber man walked into the beautiful marble building, his mind was heavy with guilt, and his heart with hate. Hate of the wealthy, old men of Massalia, from an age where trade was more important than military. Hate of Carthage and Echemmon, who had disgraced him so. This man is Zenon. To some he is a glorious conqueror, a god of great mercy and power, a martyr slain before his time. To others a murderer with million's of innocent blood on his hands, an enslaver of peoples too weak to defend themeselves, a destroyer of fertile lands into backward deserts for thousands of years to come. Call him what you will, and judge him how you may, but all can agree that right now was his lowest point. The climax of our tale. But enough talk, let us continue our tale.

The Massalian Senate, 3 p.m.

The old men of Massalia watched as he entered. They watched as he stood at the center of the room, preparing to speak to them. What could it be, they thought. Had the invasion of Hellas failed? It mattered not what they thought, as Zenon began to tell him what had transpired in the city of Carthage.

"Senators, Nobles, Peers, I have grave news for all of you. I know what you all think now, that I have failed in Hellas, that our men fell on it's holy soil. But no. Something much worse befell me than failure in what was once our ancestor's home, in moons long past."

a gasp filled the room, an then silence. Zenon looked around the room with tears in his eyes, and continued.

"The invasion of Hellas was a great success, with very little of our second army dying on it's glorious soil. No, the men would not die in the home of their ancestors, but on the sands of North Africa."

a gloomy silence encompassed the room once again as the men processed what he said. Once again, ever steadfast, he continued his tale of grief.

"Without permission of the Senate, but instead of a dream of our lord Poseidon, I sailed the men from Hellas after our victory, and attacked the Carthaginians. Many men died in a foul trick. But our Latin Swordsmen held fast, and victory was ours.

I burned the city to the ground, all that remains is the Statue of Ozymandias, for men of later generations to gawk at and wonder. From the ruins I bring you men, you men from long before my time, I bring you men gold, silver, jewels, trinkets, and treasures of all natures.

So we my offering I bring two requests. Will you hear them, o wise elders of our city?"

The men thought for a minute, many minutes in fact. To Zenon it was an eternity. But at last the Chief Speaker rose.

"We will hear your requests Zenon, but do not mistake our mercy for acceptance of your crime."

No, you may not accept my crimes, but you accept my gold, don't you, greedy old man!

Zenon said this not aloud, but in his mind it was like a shout, a cry of anger.

He regained his composure, and continued

"My first request is more men, just enough to defeat the Punics in Africa."

"You may get two more hoplitai, no more than two, and if you fail, well, I would not return if I were you."

"Yes yes, thank you o wise elder. Now for my second wish. I propose to the senate that we open citizenship up to the people in our conquered territories, Italia, Cisalpina, Magna Graeca, Hellas, Illyria, and Macedon. This will allow us to expand our armies and more easily control the new territories."

The room erupted in boos and jeers from the Xenophobic senators.

"We have granted you men after a great failure, why should we betray our people like you have? This senate will not now, and will not ever entertain such thoughts. Take your men, and leave our city. Be glad we give you such mercy after you fail us"

Inside Zenon burned with rage. But outwardly he accepted this fate. He got as many men together as he could and set off for Iol. It was time to destroy Carthage once and for all.
================================================================

Iol, 1 a.m.

The slick Greek galleys sailed silently into the harbor of Iol. No one had thought to watch for attacks. For months all Carthage had cared for was wine and celebration. So as it was, In the dead of night the Massalians descended upon the city. They slay all they found, except for the virgins, who they kept as spoils of war. Even the holy priestesses were defiled in the twisted vengeance of Zenon. Echemmon and Ozymandias, seeing their drunken folly, attempted a last stand with what remained of the Elephant units which garrisoned the city. It became famous in Berber, Numidian, Arab, Moorish, and Phoenician lore. But in the end they failed, and the heads of Zenon's greatest enemies were cast into the sea, where it is said they were carried off by winged daemons into the horizon.

With the fall of Iol, Phoenicia itself collapsed into feuding city states. But this was minor compared to the fact that for the next millennia, civilization would cease to exist in the region. It became as desolate as the heart of Hephaestus's forge, were nothing can survive.

This was the thoroughness of Zenon's wrath.
Spoiler :

Zenon returned to Massalia a hero, but he soon grew tired of the city's Xenophobia. He moved to Italia, where he first rose to prominence as a general, and began to go to lectures in the old senate building of Rome, where he saw others thought like him. Massalia should be a republic, united and equal in nationality and creed. Out of many, one. He soon became a friend of the Rome, which caught the attention of other minorities in the Empire. Soon he would be considered the greatest hope for a reform in the senate. In 45 b.c., minorities across the empire declared he had achieved apotheosis, and was, in fact, a god. In Massalia itself, though the government denied the claim, the people for the most part believed it. In Rome he officially gained the title Divus Zeno. His popularity grew and grew among the people, until, at last, the senate declared something had to be done. They ordered him to return to Massalia from Italy, but to not let his Army cross the Rhone.

With this act, the final straw broke. Soon a great empire would be rumbled by revolution. But would Zenon live to see his idealized republic come to fruition?
Spoiler :

The Parthenon, built by the people of Massalia to honor Zenon as a god.

Spoiler :

A map of Massalia after the destruction of Carthage

Careful they might come back and settle Carthage again. I've seen that happen more than once.

If this counts as a tip:

With your pics just a little bit larger then my screen resolution, your text is forced to strecht out beyond my screen, so for each line, I have to go a bit right, and then go a bit left to read the next line. That's annoying.

My suggestion is to put pics under spoilers. In Noyyau's story I keep expanding and retracting the spoiled pics that are too large so I can read the text and see the pics without having to sidescroll right then come back left. It helps a lot.

But if you think that would be ugly for your text, then discard my idea. People with higher resolutions are probably not having this issue.

If this counts as a tip:

With your pics just a little bit larger then my screen resolution, your text is forced to strecht out beyond my screen, so for each line, I have to go a bit right, and then go a bit left to read the next line. That's annoying.

My suggestion is to put pics under spoilers. In Noyyau's story I keep expanding and retracting the spoiled pics that are too large so I can read the text and see the pics without having to sidescroll right then come back left. It helps a lot.

But if you think that would be ugly for your text, then discard my idea. People with higher resolutions are probably not having this issue.

no problem, I've taken your advice and I must say, it looks much better.

Zenon and his men stared out across the Rhone. It was a clear, quiet night. The moon was full in the sky, and the stars reflected off the quietly rolling river, like diamonds shining in a tumulting void. The mood was hopeful, but somber. Many of the men in his company were either Massalian by birth or by belief, united under the idea of a truly representative republic. At last, the silence was broken. Zenon exited his contemplations and spoke aloud to the whole host of brave men, and a few women.

"Men, I have made my decision. As much as I love my homeland, We must march on the city. This decision is not out of hate for Massalia, but out of love for it. It is out of love that I must liberate my once proud city from the xenophobic, old senators that still hold power there. But I do not only do this for Massalia, but for you, Red Legions, for I love you!"

The men cheer for their proud commander. There joy inspiring him, confirming him, he raises his hand and they quiet, like obedient children.

"Do not cheer now men, save it for when we liberate our proud home! The decision is final! Let us go where the omens of the Gods and the crimes of our enemies summon us! Alea iacta est, the die is cast!"

Spoiler :

image of Zenon crossing the Rhone river, with him are elephants he took as booty from Carthage, which make up his bodyguard.

Massalia, 10 p.m.

The gate guard stared out at the empty field before him. All was quiet. To his left, the branch of a tree rustled, leaving faintly like a whisper from those long past. It was something to think about, the whispers of the dead. Would anyone remember him, the gate guard of Massalia? What had he done of importance? He was already getting into his 70's, he didn't have much time.

Then a large horde of men appeared on the horizon, torches ablaze, some riding atop beasts, and the clearly visible banner of Zenon present in the marching throng. The gateguard knew of the senate's decision, and had been ordered to not open the gate for Zenon if he was to march with his Army. At the time, he had jsut nodded along, silently disagreeing with his xenophobic peers. He never understood why they so distrusted foreigners, they seemed like good enough folk, certainly no threat to Massalia, Zenon had took care of that. The men got closer, until they were only a few yards in front of the old gate guard. A man was getting off the elephant at the front. It was Zenon. The gate guard watched as he approached, thinking about his role in history, about his importance in everything, and when Zenon atlast stood only 2 feet away from him. The gate guard decided to speak.

"Greetings, Lord Zenon, I s'pose this is your city, ain't it. Well, I'll let ya in, but only on one condition."

"And what might that be?"

"When you sit down with a scribe to talk about your taking of the city, make sure to mention me, Bucephalus, the aging gate guard who let you into the city."

"As you wish."

As simple as that, Zenon was let into the City. With the greatest army ever gathered in Massalian history and the people on his side, Zenon easily enforced his will on the senate.

Zenon put forward his policies and began to reform the whole empire. He replaced the old xenophobes of the senate with younger men from the city and other provinces. He changed the flag to his own banner and named the Republic after himself, changing Massalia's name to "The Zenonite Republic of Massalia". All new currency made by Massalia bore his image and name on it. And, on March 1st, he was officially declared a god by the High Priest of Massalia.

This last move angered the senators, from the young newcomers appointed by him to the Old guard that still remained. Many had begun to fear he was becoming a king, but on March 1st with he declaration of his apotheosis made official, nearly all the senate agreed he had gone to far. So, on March 15th, after observing the Latin holiday known as "The Ides of March", he went to some games and theatrics, sponsored by the senate. This was a grave mistake.

Upon arriving and take his seat, 60 or so senators got up. 2/3 of them were older members of the senate, who had remained in power do to their more moderate views. The other 1/3 were ambitious members of the younger portion of the senate, who wished to be heroes fighting what they thought was, and most likely was, a future tyrant.

Slowly the men circled around him in the theater, but he took no notice, until it was to late. In an instant, they all pulled knives from their togas, and ended the life of the Great Zenon.

Spoiler :

Though Zenon's life was cut short, his influence was not. For his nephew, Alexander, would take the reigns of power, and fight for the ideals of Zenon's republic. The civil war was bloody, but from the ashes rose a stronger, peaceful Massalia.
Spoiler :

End of The Tale of Zenon

If this counts as a tip:

It would still be nice if the civfanatics forum didn't stretch the text out to match the length of the image. I found that it is no where near as bad now that I am using windows 8.1 as opposed to XP. Mainly because 8 makes everything so small. Seems to be a trend with HD things though. "Hey lets make the text so small no one can read it. Its not like people enjoy reading plot points" Still can't read any of the text in skyrim or dragon age despite having an HD TV..

Anyway

"As you wish."

oh Zenon

im talking about you, btw, not zenon or westley

though, they do to ;)

Before I start the next part of this story, Pax Massalia, I thought, why not do a sort of update where I talk about mistakes (non-grammatical) and quirks that exist in each act. Most, if not all, large parts of the story will have one of these

so let's get started!

Spoiler :
Act I

So in act I i took sparta, and during that part of act I i mention that the spartans were away fighting persia. This wasn't some excuse to justify them being weak, I actually gave them like 3 OP hoplites. Before I attack sparta, persia apparently attacked angora in central turkey, which was part of the same independents as sparta, so they actually did send the hoplites against persia. In fact, persia actually collapsed around the time I completed the Parthenon, and they never took the city of angora, so I can only assume the Spartans helped with that chain of events.

Act III

In this act I attacked Carthage, but I didn't show the war screen like I did for athens. That's because neither party ever officially declared war in the story, the whole war was literally an unauthorized action by Zenon.

Act IV and V

The obvious caesar similarities here are obvious, but there are a few things that i screwed up on.

First was me saying he the senate forbade him from crossing the rubicon with his army at the end of act IV. Not only is this a different order from the one the roman senate gave caesar, but I called the river I intended by the wrong name. I meant to say the rhone, not the rubicon. I fixed this today, but I'm sure enough of you noticed.

Next is in Act V. In the picture I used of the crossing of the rhone, that's fairly obviously Hannibal. This is because I couldn't find a good enough looking picture for caesar's crossing of the rubicon. Another thing is that I couldn't find a picture of caesar marching into rome after the part with the gate guard. It's not too noticeable, but I feel like it sort of disrupts the pacing a bit because I intended there to be a picture there. Though that may just be me.

Names

Zenon's name comes from the starting general of Massalia from Total War Rome II

Echemmon's name cames from the leader in on of my greek campaigns of Total War Rome I where I recreated alexander's empire. I felt like nocking him down a peg in this

Ozymandias name comes from the poem of the same name that goes as such:

Spoiler :
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

The symbolism between the two should be easy enough to recognize

Alexander, Zenon's nephew, is obviously named after Alexander the Great

Bucephalus the gate guard is named after Alexander's horse.

The name Red Legion's (Zenon's Army) comes from two things:
The first one is the Many Headed Talos, by Michael Kirkbride, Those of you who have played skyrim it's the thing heimskr in whiterun is always yelling at you
The second is the fact that it is a revolutionary force, and the color red is typically associated with revolution.

The League of Corinth:
This name comes from the the greek league set up by Alexander's dad.

Province names are based off of Total War Rome II's province map

Quotes

"I do this for you, Red Legions, for I love you!"

- The Many Headed Talos/Heimskr

"We accept it" (act I, when the greek league declares war)

this is what the carthaginian senate said to the Roman emissary that sent them word of rome's demand to send hannibal to rome or face war (the second punic one)

The emissary said "I have in my hands peace and war"
the senate spat back "Choose what you will"
the emissary responded with "I choose war then"
to which carthage replied "We accept it!"

I thought it was cool enough to deserve a place here

"as you wish"
Unintentional princess bride quote (I found my old VHS of it last night and popped it in, I guess this was just subconscious)

"Carthago Delenda Est"
"Carthage Must be Destroyed", a favorite line of cato the elder

"Alea iacta est"
"The Die is Cast", caesar's famous line when crossing the rubicon

Trivia pertaining to this alt-history

the first one is that many mycenaen tribes left there home around 1900 bc to find new land. This is how Massalia came to be.

To explain massalia's size I've justified to myself that they bought various celtic tribes to their city, as well as being much more militaristic in this timeline

Alexander died from poison after putting down the revolt in greece, leaving his empire out of this history.

Trivia about this game

As im sure you noticed, I didn't start this at the beggining. That's because I didn't intend this to be a story at first. It was only after I conquered Italy that I went "This would be a really great story"

currently I've played to 1045 ad, and have screenshots to that time

so when I said that North africa was barren for the next 1000+ years, I actually meant it.

Act Lies

For those of you who watch extracredits' series extrahistory, you should recognize this concept of having a "Lies" segment, which they include at the end of every series to mention anything they thought was interesting or anything they got wrong. I didn't steal this idea or anything, it was walpole

Spoiler :
and if you don't watch extracredits, check em out, they're pretty sweet

Link to video.

so how was this? was it informative? interesting? did ya learn something new, cuz I hope ye did matey, arrr

Top Bottom