The Sapphire of Gaul

Have I not mentioned yet that this is very good?
Because it is. :)

Spoiler :

The Standard of Zenon, Established with the Republic

It was a cold day in august. From atop the Parthenon, Aléxandros could see all of the city. From the thronging masses going about their daily business, to the smaller things. On a blade of grass, and ant was devoured by a spider. The spider by a frog. The Frog by a bird. The bird by a Man getting food to feed his family. It was always as he tried to tell his dear friend, Aratus, that the gods were everywhere, and in everything, all he had to do was look. But Aratus, Hades bless his soul, never could accept that. He firmly believed that there was no evidence to tell us that what we think are the gods are actually the gods. He had intruiging points, but Aléxandros could not take the step away from his faith. Maybe it was like his uncle, Zenon, had always said: Some men are born the Dragon Blood of Helios, and can see the workings of the gods. A man approached from behind Aléxandros. It was Aratus.

"It's time for your inauguration as Strategos, the people are dying to see you."

"What, already? Did our armies at last destroy all enemies of Zenon? Our land is secure?

Aratus began to smile.

"Yes! It is time for a united Massalia to have a leader once more."

"Oh yes, what a glorious day it is! I feel like this is the start of a new era, a sort of peace in Europe brought about by Zenon. The Massalian Peace. I like it, sounds good."

Aratus laughed, his smile still unfading

"Are we going to talk about you starting a golden age, or are we going to go actually start it? Come on, I'm sure the people are getting impatient."

The two friends laughed and proceeded to the Senate house. It truly was the start of a new age.

Spoiler :

10 a.d., The estate of Aléxandros

A newborn opens it's eyes for the first time. Before it are figures it does not know, but will one day idolize. To the newborns right is Aléxandros, hero of the people and heir of Zenon. He stepped down from his position of Strategos after a fair and just ten year reign. His hairs are gray, but his his eyes are still bright with the joy shown 40 years ago at his inauguration. He is currently 55 years old. To the newborn's left is a woman of nearly unmatched beauty in Massalia, and all the world. Glorious brown locks flow to her round, divine hips, with eyes as deep and green as the forests of Germania. Her lips are full, and smile with motherly love at her newborn child. Her name is Theodora, wife to the great Aléxandros. For 2 decades they have tried time and time again to have an heir. But at last, they have a child. The line of Zenon will continue. The divine blood will continue to flow in the veins of man. Out of the newborn's line of sight is a man around the same age as Aléxandros, looking at the wonder of life placed before them.

"What will you name him, old friend?"

The man is Aratus, a philosopher and historian by trade. He has been friends with Aléxandros since they were children hearing of Zenon's brave exploits.

"His name shall something worthy of a man born into our great republic, a name that will inspire crowds and make his enemies cower. I can think of none better than your own, Aratus. Yes, my child shall be Aratus the younger, Grandnephew of the Divine Zenon. The boy is destined for greatness."

Spoiler :

A statue made of Aléxandros, with his newborn child gripping his father

The cold winds of december flowed into the Senate chamber. All eyes turned to the open door, where stood two men. One foreign, dressed with bright clothing made in a style rarely seen in Massalia. The other was the senate's head diplomat, Aratus the Younger, grandnephew of Zenon.

Aratus walked forward with the foreigner and began to speak.

"Greetings, peers and fellow senators. I'm sure you are all wondering who this man I bring with me is. This is Siddhartha, an emissary from the far away Gupta Empire of India. I have just organized a trade arrangement with him that I would like the senate to look over, and hopefully accept."

Siddhartha bowed and handed the senators a rolled up piece of paper, stamped shut with the image of a small, colorful horse. The senate, curiously opening the message, found these words written upon it in a fine, dark blue ink.

Hail and well met senate of distant Massalia. This is a message from the Holy Defender of India and Emperor of the Gupta, Asoka II. I feel that it is in my best interest to develop trade with you distant, but wealthy, land. Below is a space for my Emissary, Siddhartha, place what goods we will trade for what goods you will grant us in return.

in the not-so-foreign black ink of Massalia, the following items were listed
  • Indian Offers:
  • Open Borders
  • Indian Gems
  • Knowledge of Indian Meditation
  • Knowledge of the Sanskrit Alphabet
  • Our Friendship and Good Faith

• Massalian Offers:
  • Open Borders
  • Massalian Pigs
  • Knowledge of Massalian Art
  • Knowledge of the Greek Calendar
  • Knowledge of Massalian Currency

The senate had mixed feelings about the deal, but in the end Aratus managed to convince them to accept the offer. Once the wondrous trade from India began to flow into the city, many began to see Aratus as a brilliant and shrewd leader. As a result of this, with a bit of luck, a bit of craftiness, and a few bribes here and there, He was able to win the position of Strategos in the election of 70 a.d.. He would hold the office for 15 years.

Spoiler :

A soft knock was heard at the door. Aratus knew who it was, and why they were here. He also knew that what he was about to do would immortalize him in Massalian history.

"Come in, Pytheas."

"Thank you sir, have you looked over my offer of an exploratory trade mission to the Gupta Empire, my liege?"

"Yes, yes I have, and I must say, you show quite a lot of talent for such a young merchant. Not only do I accept your offer, but I offer you a blank check, straight from my personal treasury. You have my full support."

Excitement filled Pytheas' eyes. He began to shake with joy. His cadence also increased.

"Thank you sir, thank you so much! oh praise Zenon! Thank you again! I promise that I will bring glory to Massalia and to you."

Aratus softly nodded, looking lovingly at Pytheas the way a father looks at a son who has completed his rites of manhood.

"I trust you completely, also, when you return, you shall have the honor of me becoming your patron, and you shall join my family."

"oh.my.zenon. thank you so much sir, this has gone so much better than I had originally thought it would!"

"Don't thank me yet, thank me when you return with more money than Massalia has ever know, and we are comfortably sitting around a roaring fire filling out bellies with wine."

The Great Journey of Pytheas had Begun.

I apologize for the short update. I felt the pacing would be better if I started pytheas' journey the next update. Expect it wednesday.

Whoa it looks like India is being short changed here. I mean Massalian is really giving India the brush off here. Not even reciprocating the offer of friendship.

Whoa it looks like India is being short changed here. I mean Massalian is really giving India the brush off here. Not even reciprocating the offer of friendship.

well, i mean, we did give india currency in exchange for friendship. And money is obviously a form of magic. Capitalist Magic. and friendship is magic. therefore friendship=currency

that's the transitive property in action right there y'all

71 a.d.
Amidst the ruins stood only a lonely monument. It was tall, 12 feet tall, made of the purest marble, once beautifully painted, the once vibrant colors had began to fade. The man appeared stern, but kind. Fatherly almost. Everyone in the caravan recognized the man, but could not place him in time. Unbeknownst to them, it was Zenon. The statue was made after he razed Mediolanum at the beginning of the Roman War. At that time he was only a lowly unit commander, but even here his greatness was evident. His men, so inspired by him, forced the enslaved inhabitants to build a monument to their conqueror. Indeed, It was always a sad fate when the conquered had to worship their conqueror.

After standing memorized by the lonely figure for a time that felt like eternity, the Caravan moved on. Onward to India.
Spoiler :

76 a.d.

The mines of Illyria bellowed with the sound of striking stone and melting metal. Through here the caravan passed, stopping only to resupply and trade for bronze. Here they saw yet another statue, depicting the young Echemmon after his conquest of Illyria for the Hellenic League. The faded eyes of the statue held not the coldness that they would gain later in life, after the death of his great friend, Gyras of Petra, After having to see town after town, city after city, the same scene. The virgins being taken, 1/4 of men slaughtered, 1/2 of women slaughtered, all children taken as slaves to work in backbreaking farms and soul-crushingly dark mines, rarely ever seeing light again.. Year of conquest turned Echemmon into the man Zenon battled, Years of blood had corrupted him. But the statue was a window into another Echemmon, not the daemon which troubled Zenon from Athens to Mauritania, but an Echemmon full of hope, and full of life. Pytheas shed a single tear for the forgotten man that was once Echemmon. Alas, history is written by the victors.
Spoiler :

86 a.d.
In Byzantion the the Hellenic League of Corinth lived on. They had long ago forsaken greek polytheism in favor of the innumerous gods of Hinduism. Here was the Edge of the Massalian Known World. The caravan stopped to wonder at the blend of Greek and Indian architecture, and would later bring accounts of the city to Massalia, which would gain a slight indian influence in the cities architecture. Before Pytheas left he took with him a young, adventurous native from the Gupta empire searching for adventure in far off Byzantion. Her name was Akka.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

An image of Akka from Pytheas' great work, Journey to the East

Completed in 1045 a.d. by Theodosius, the Secret History of Massalia was a work begun by an unknown author shortly after Zenon's death, and was dedicated to using first hand accounts and foreign sources to present an unbiased, apolitical, atheistic view of Classical Massalian History.

Echemmon the Sharmat? written in 800 a.d.
Echemmon of Illyria. In Massalian Orthodox Christianity it is held that Jesus was merely the incarnation of Zenon's mercy, and that t God was, of course, Zenon. Needing a devil figure for Jesus to fight, they early Church leaders took Echemmon, his ancient enemy, as a sort of Anti-Christ. Literally the incarnation of the fallen angel Lucifer. Echemmon is specifically known as the Aspect of Hell's brutality. Through years of state propganda it has been ingrained into the Massalian conscious that Echemmon, even the name, means brutality, war, and evil. I am here to present the truth of the man. Echemmon, hero or Sharmat[1]?

First let's look at the classical sources, written by Greek scholars during the Golden Age of the Hellenic League, and afterwards during the Byzantine Period. Aristotle[2], after fleeing Syracuse when Massalia took it over, wrote this of Echemmon "His stature is proud, and his movement graceful. However, in his eyes is the cold of death, his glance is bonechilling. This is not surprising, as during his campaigns in Anatolia and Illyria, he was bound by the Council of Corinth to follow the strategy of Aratus of Sicyon[3], "Settlements would be offered gold and low taxes for 2 centuries if they defect to the Greeks, should they decline 1/4 of men and 1/2 of women are to be slaughtered. All inhabitants that have yet to reach adulthood shall become slaves, and all virgins shall be booty for the men in order to keep up morale." It became evident that such bloodshed began to wear on Echemmon, and after the death of his life long friend ,Gyras of Petra, he became cold and distant, as many of his captured soldiers would later tell.

Historians tell us he was not always this way, during his Illyrian conquest he was quite cherry and lively, often inspiring the men in crucial battles[4]. A statue near the Apollonian Bronze Mines made after the conquest of Illyria, depicts a beautiful and adventurous Echemmon, proud of the glory he had brought his home. It paints a different picture than what the Massalian Bible tells in Luke 4:1-8, : Ensarkó̱no̱[5], full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, To be tempted by The Sharmat for forty days, and he ate nothing in those days, and when he had finished them, at the end he was hungry. Echemmon said to him, "If you are the Incarnate of Zenon, tell this stone to become bread." Ensarkó̱no̱ answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone.'Echemmon led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, "I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. If you worship me, it will all be yours." Ensarkó̱no̱ answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord our God[6] and serve him only.'"

As is evident from these verses, Echemmon is painted as a trickster and conqueror, a cold being that, as so many evangelists I have ran into have told me, denies the love and glory of our lord Zenon. But all contemporary sources[7] from Echemmon's life list him as a Victim of the Council of Corinth, forced to carry out their ever bloodier and ever more hubric demands. So, dear reader, I will let you decide for yourself. Sincerely [Text Missing] of al-Qusṭanṭiniyah[8]

Footnotes
[1]Sharmat is a term found only in Massalian Orthodox Christianity, meaning devil or deciever. The word is not Greek in origin, and scholars to this day have no idea where it came from.
[2]Aristotle's Secret work known as "Exile in Carthage" details Echemmon's life and downfall
[3]Aratus of Sicyon was a military strategists in the Hellenic League which came up with the brutal "Aratine Strategy" which was adopted by many Greek generals (including Zenon during his Conquest of Carthage)
[4]Battle of Salona and the Battle of the Dalmatian River
[5]Ensarkó̱no̱ means "Incarnate" in Greek, with Jesus' full name being Ensarkó̱no̱ Zeno in Massalian Orthodox Christianity, meaning "Incarnate of Zenon". The term has become outdated in recent years and many younger Massalians merely call him Jesus Christ.
[6]the God referred to here is Zenon (Known also as Zenon the Father, along with Jesus being Zenon the Incarnate and the Holy Spirit being called Zenon the Saint)
[7]This refers to the many historical accounts of Echemmon, the main one being "Exile in Carthage" by Aristotle.
[8]The Arabic name of Byzantion, as the unknown author of this work seems to have moved there during the Arab occupation of the city.

101 A.d.

After passing through Anatolia without incident, stopping only for supplies and to pay homage to the brave Spartans who died to stop Achaemenid Persia from spilling over into Europe. The caravan passed into Syria, when Akka pointed out smoke on the horizon. Pytheas, curious to find out what was going on, set off to explore it. Akka, always adventurous, demanded to join. This was requested, and the two began to set off.

They walked along the barely visible back paths of the dry Syrian landscape. To pass the time and ease some of the aches in his legs, Pytheas decided to make some conversation.

"So Akka, what will it be like when we get to India?"

"It will be like leaving this world and entering another, one holy and filled with the gods. From the flowing Ganges you will see the glory of Heaven, and in Varanasi you will feel the Lord Shiva present all around you and in your heart of hearts. In the City of Light you will never want to leave, for there are all things in abundance."

The two continued walking through the quiet country path in the Syrian forest. Akka continued to talk about her homeland, her eyes getting larger and brighter, sparkling like all the stars in the night sky, as deep as the ocean and as beautiful as the setting sun. The two laughed and smiled as they discussed and compared the Beauty of Massalia and Varanasi.

The banter died as they looked ahead and saw Egyptian Soldiers sitting around of mass of Syrian bodies. Ahead was Sur, burning from the recent conquest by Egypt. The soldiers yelled at the two, and they ran, as far and fast as they could. They lost the Egyptians in the woods, and both fell over on the dry grass from their long run. Breathing heavily and looking into each others eyes.

Akka's eyes widened after a time, and she rushed up and bowed. "How did I not see until now, in the image of your eyes is the snake Vasuki wrapped around the Crescent moon! You are an avatar of Shiva, my eternal Lord and Soulmate!"

Before Pytheas could respond, Akka passionately embraced him. And it was there in the Forests of Syria that the two made love, not profane or wicked love but a most holy and sacred love. At last, the story of conception reached it's climax, and the familial line of Pytheas was secured. One day his progeny would live on from the Ganges to the Rhone, and as numerous as grains of sand on a beach. But this was the first, and this son, borne from Syria would be the Greatest of Pytheas' offspring.
Spoiler :

126 a.d.

The Indus roared before the caravan. During their journey in the near east they had seen many things, from the Crucifixion of Jesus in Babylon to the Once great cities of Persia, now sinking into the deserts from decadence and neglect. But at last, India lay before them. Since the incident in the Forests of Syria, Akka and Pytheas had become formally married, in Christian, Greek, Hindi, and Zoroastrian Tradition. There were now 8 of their descendants running about with the caravan, playing and seeing the world through the naivety and Imagination of a child. While the Caravan talked about how to cross the roaring river, a Guptan border guard spotted them. Pytheas and Akka explained why they were here to the guard, and he immediately took them to his commander. The commander said only this:

"You bring us wealth and pride by this visit, we will allow you free access throughout our land, may you find it to be the most beautiful of all in the World."

The caravan was now in India, land of a thousand shining cities.

Spoiler :

136 A.d.

Varanasi stood before Pytheas and Akka. As all around Pytheas wondered if he was in a dream, and in a sense he was, for he was in the holiest of all cities in the world. He was in the realm of Lord Shiva. Pytheas and Akka embraced their roles in this world, and became incarnations of Shiva and Parvati, and they dwelt in the city for the rest of their lives, and after their deaths they still danced their amongst the cosmos, infinite and glorious. Pytheas would not return to the now 120 year old Aratus the Younger, that duty would fall to his son, Tāraka, who would one day be Liberator of the Plebeians and Strategos of the Massalian Empire
Spoiler :

Wow, that was a beautiful little story.

Dawn in Apollonia, 146 a.d.

A man stands atop the Acropolis of Apollonia. His features are greek in nature, but his complexion is darker than that of the average Massalian. The warm, dawning sun dances warmly off his skin, as he stands before the crowd of Epirotes. As light floods through the Temple of Apollo on the Acropolis of Apollonia, he clears his throat with a hearty grunt, and begins to speak in a voice that is soft yet firm, seductive in nature but holy in sound.

"Ensarkó̱no̱ the mighty! Ensarkó̱no̱ the unerring! Ensarkó̱no̱ the unassailable! To you we give praise! We are but maggots, writhing in the filth of our own corruption! While you have ascended from the dung of mortality, and now walk among the stars! But you were once man! Aye! And as man, you said, "Let me show you the power of Zenon Eleos, born of Massalia, where my breath is his glory. I breathe now, in royalty, and reshape this land which is mine. I do this for you, people of Massalia, for I love you." Aye, love. Love! Even as man, great Ensarkó̱no̱ cherished us. For he saw in us, in each of us, the future of Massalia! The future of Earth! And there it is, friends! The ugly, truth! We are the children of man! Ensarkó̱no̱ is the true god of man! Ascended from flesh, to rule the realm of spirit! The very idea is inconceivable to our Hellenic overlords! Sharing the heavens with us? With Christians? Ha! They can barely tolerate our presence on earth! Today, they take away your faith. But what of tomorrow? Do the pagans take your homes? Your businesses? Your children? Your very lives? And what does the Republic do? Nothing! Nay, worse than nothing! The Massalian machine enforces the will of their so called gods! Against its own people! So rise up! Rise up, children of Massalia! Rise up, Epirotes! Embrace the word of mighty Ensarkó̱no̱, he who is both man and Divine! For we are the children of man! And we shall inherit both the heavens and the earth! And we, not the Pagans or their toadies, will rule Massalia! Forever! Terrible and powerful Ensarkó̱no̱! We, your unworthy servants, give praise! For only through your grace and benevolence may we truly reach enlightenment! And deserve our praise you do, for we are one! Ere you ascended and the Zenon became reborn of a virgin, you walked among us, great Ensarkó̱no̱, not as god, but as man! Trust in me, Apollonia! Trust in the words of Taraka! For I am the chosen of Ensarkó̱no̱! I alone have been anointed by the Incarnate to spread his holy word!

Indeed, trust in me, for I have traveled far and wide, Burdigala in the West and foreign Patiliputra in the East. I have seen faiths of all rank and nature. Yet of all faiths none of spoke more to me and had more merit than that of the Christian one. Born from Judaism, forged by the son of a virgin and incarnation of Zenon, and sanctified by his blood in Babylon as he died on a cross. This man, Jesus Christ the Incarnate, known merely as Ensarkó̱no̱ to our lord in heaven Zenon,died for your wrongs and evils, to save even heretics such as yourself from eternal suffering in a lake of fire and brimstone. If you accept his claim as the son of one all-powerful God, you will be spared from the fate of hell, and gain all in his glorious realm of Heaven.

Choose now, and repent your sins or face an eternity of agony and torment in hell."

and like that, Christianity spread into the Massalian Republic, having been adapted by Taraka, the firstborn son of Pytheas and Akka, to better fit the preexisting and widespread Cult of Zenon.

Spoiler :

The sky filled with smoke as thousands of men with painted faces and heavy swords ran into the small forest village. Sounds of death filled the air as the horrid Germans spoke loudly to each other with horrible sounds of "Bar bar bar". Only one man survived the attack, and he fled almost immediately to fort Zenon in Cisalpina.
-----
The cavalry commander sat in his tent, eating a hearty lunch. The day so far had been boring, with no interesting news from nearby Trieste. That is, until a man missing one eye ran into the camp ranting about horrid barbarians having crossed the border near Trieste. The men settled him down, and the commander began began to question him.

"Where are you from lad?"

"The village of Vindobona, on the border of Cisalpina."

"I see, and could you calmly tell me what you saw."

"They appeared as the dawning sun appeared over the trees, hundreds, if not thousands, of men with painted faces and long hair. They had swords of gleaming iron like the fangs of a wolf. They shouted to each other in a filthy barbarian tongue, and slaughtered the whole village. I took an arrow in the eye and passed out, they assumed I was dead and pressed on I presume, most likely to Trieste. IF you hurry you can catch them before they burn the city to the ground."

The man then fell over, clutching his chest. Despite the efforts of the physician present, he passed over the river Styx. The commander wasted no time, and he sped off to the city. There he would meet Taraka the Proselytizer...
-----

Taraka walked towards the city of Trieste, planning to convert more to the Christian faith. Next thing he knew, thousands of horsemen were bearing down on him. They thundered like the Wrath of Zenon down the road, like a constant stream. Seeing as this was surely something exciting, he followed, planning to find out what the hubbub was. They continued thundering by, through the mines of Noricum onward to the village of Vindobona. At last, they stopped, and Taraka saw a camp full of thousands of barbarians. Seeking to help the men gain victory, Taraka decided to charge at the camp of pagan Germans shouting out prayers to his God, praying that he wouldn't die. The Germans, distracted by this strange half Indian half Greek man running towards them talking about how there is only one god, they failed to notice the large Massalian force slam into their flank and rear, completely and utterly causing a route with few survivors. The commander thanked Taraka for his help, and so did the men. By the next dawn the cavalry had converted to Christianity, and Taraka had become second to the Commander. Meanwhile, in the dark forests of Germania, the survivors of the Battle of Old Vindobona told of their defeat to all the tribes. It was obvious that Massalia was a rich and juicy target. All they would need is something to weaken the empire to allow for them to swoop in. It was the beginning of the end of Pax Massalia, and soon the Barbarians would be at the gates.

Spoiler :

The sun glinted warmly off the glorious statue, bringing with it the soft glow of life to the city of Massalia. The mighty Colossus of Zenon standing over the entrance to the Great Cothon of the city, forever blessing the City and the Empire with his glory. At least, this is what Taraka had hoped for by using his personal wealth gained from Aratus the Younger, fulfilling the promise he had made to Pytheas so long ago. Aratus was nearing in his 220's, surprising everyone with his longevity. Many saw it as proof of Zenon's divinity, as Aratus the Younger was his grandnephew. Indeed, Taraka had subtly acknowledged this when making the Colossus, By having Aratus's name written in on the torch which Zenon carried, showing the world the light of his love.

However, many Massalian citizens were now descendants of the survivors of Zenon's invasion of North Africa, who had immigrated to Massalia in recent years to flee from the thousands of Numidian tribes which kept the area in perpetual anarchy. They protested the creation of the statue, and formed the roots of Massalian counter-culture. They called Zenon a tyrant, and a murderer. They blasphemed his name in public, and burned books and images depicting him in a kind light. This angered many Massalians of course, but none more than Taraka. His militant stance towards the heretics gained him popular support among the upper and lower classes. At last, one he had gained the rank of Consul, he had the power to crack down on the heathens. The massacre was brutal, with none surviving, save those who fled across the Danube to live among the Dacians.

They would one day return.

Spoiler :

sorry for short update, I was a bit busy with school tonight, and I not much happened during the later Pax Massalia

Here come the bar bar bar bar barbarians!

The sun glinted in a thousand different perpendicular rays off of the bronze helms of the cavalry. Horsemen of Massalia, quite unlike any other in the world, for they were part Gallic, light and swift, but also part Kataphractoi, and as such they packed a punch stronger than any other from the water of the Ganges to the pillars of Herakles. At their forefront rode Taraka, divine son of Zenon, Shiva, and Parvati. His hair was long and flowing, and flowed with the color of a thousand ravens in flight. His voice was fire, and inspired the same in the hearts of all who heard him.

"We have let these savages plunder the holy Danube, which guards mighty and sacred Hellas, for too long. Today, we turn this tide of wickedness, and let trade once more flow through all the waters of the east into even sacred Bharata. Let their blood flow like wine into the chalice of Zenon's divine vengeance."

He paused shortly, and peered into the souls of all the men he commanded, demanding their honor and reverence.

"Fear not the wicked ways of barbarians and heathens; paint this symbol of Zenon on your shields and your helms, on your blade's hilt, and on your heart and mind. Our Lord shall protect you in this battle, and victory shall be ours."

Spoiler :

He blew his great battle horn, causing a great din of sound to assault the enemy as seafoam strikes the coast before the wave. The battle was quick, bloody, and spared the Massalians many losses; Many that day did convert to the Christian creed, and embrace the love of Zenon and his incarnate.

Spoiler :

As Taraka returned to his camp, finding in his lavish tent a tall and thin man. His locks were short, reaching only to the top of his neck, and was a rich silver in color. His skin was a pale to match.

"Greetings, Divine consul Taraka, I am Androsthenes of Alexandria"

"By your accent, I can assume you mean not the Alexandria of Egypt?"

"No, I hail from the Alexandria of Bactria. There the silk trade of distant Cathay flows through along with the delightful opium of Bharata. With my help, Massalia can once more benefit from these luxuries."

"Elaborate, before the empire of iron rusts and the world turns to darkness. You try my patience."

Seeing Taraka's hand slowly move towards his hilt, Androsthenes continued with haste

"I propose a trade expedition, like the one which occurred at your time of birth. Massalia has lost much gold from potential trade that his been blocked by the Indo-Grecians of Byzantion, the Pirates of Lost Phoenicia, and the Barbaric Numido-Dacians of the Danube. Rekindling this fire of commerce will grant you more wealth than you can dream."

Taraka thought for a moment, before scrawling out a note of authority and handing the man a bag of gold and copper. He then shooed the man out of his elaborate tent, and at last got rest he sought after a hard day of battle. The Pax Massalia marched onwards, unaware of the dangers of trans-continental trade.

Spoiler :

The sound of thunder the peaceful Pyrenees as the Chi-Rho Kataphractoi of Taraka raced towards the silver mines and farmlands of Iberia. Word had reached the Taraka, the former consul, who had now ascended to the rank of Strategos, that the Massalian holdings of Iberia were under barbarian threat. Hoplitai had already held the line and prevented them from spilling into Provincia, but a good amount of Massalian currency was made from Iberian silver. For two nights the horsemen had been racing south, and at last they saw the barbarian host across the mountains.

In full haste they road through the night, awakening the cruel cretins in their camp. Horse and man and iron merged as one to slaughter the barbarians. The battle reached it's apex as the sun at last peaked over the horizon, bathing the bloody field in Apollo's glory. As the golden chariot appeared in the sky, the din became but a whisper as all stared at the barbarian chief, cut short by the blade of Taraka. With a cry of "Divus Zeno Kataktá"

The Divine Zenon conquers.

The once formidable barbarians became a helpless, routing army, and then they became a crippled massacre. The heads of the leaders would be sent to Massalia where they would adorn pikes at the top of the Parthenon.

Alas, the Barbarian invasion had at last begun in earnest, as the Pax Massalia began to reach it's Twilight.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, In Ionia

Androsthenes had seen many things. From the ruins of Mediolanum to the great copper mines of Illyria; from the Acropolis of Athens and the Pass at Thermopylae to the Indo-Greeks of Byzantion, successor to the League of Corinth along with their independent brethren in the heart of Anatolia.

Now, he reached the end of his journey.

Here in the city of Angora was the most distant way station of the silk road, here the lands of the Orient communed with the distant Hellenes. But, while this was what he sought, there was something greater in the city of Angora that caught his eye. A bronze statue of Echemmon, that ancient demon that had tormented Zenon from one edge of the world to the other; the man who had vanquished the cream of the Massalian youth at Carthage. This statue was made by the few survivors that had once been the Spartan Army, forced to abandon their home and protect distant Ionia from Achaemenid invaders. They had died and bled on this foreign soil to protect all of greece, and one might even claim that had they not died on this sun-baked field, Massalia itself would not have continued to rise as it did. Had those brave few not stood against that mighty empire, it would still trouble the Hellenic world to this day. But it was not so for Persia, shaken by the loss at Angora it collapsed inward. To those brave men Echemmon was a hero. Reflecting on this sad tragedy of fate, Androsthenes wondered if the same would one day happen to Massalia. Lost in thought, he noticed not the flea infested rat the boarded the ship home with him...

Spoiler :

Within a week, the city was in turmoil, men dying in the streets covered in black lesions. The damage inflicted by the disease was so great that many saw it as the beginning of the end of the world. Taraka himself was struck dead by the plague, only a year after the birth of his son, who would be the sole heir to the blood of Zenon. It was the first instance of the Bubonic Plague, and it coupled with a huge upsurge in barbarian increase, brought the Pax Massalia to an end in the Four Hundred and First year in the Epoch of the Incarnate.

Spoiler :

"What medicines do not heal, the lance will; what the lance does not heal, fire will"
The words of Hippocrates rang true, as many would rather end life on their terms than on the terms of pestilence.

The first picture doesn't work for me. Love the update though :)

The first picture doesn't work for me. Love the update though :)

fixed :D

edit: I edited the table of contents on the first page, it now gives y'all a view of what i'm going to be making tomorrow update wise. Now im tired and going to go back to bed, i woke up a second ago because i had to pee and was like "lets check cfc lol"

Top Bottom