Single Player bugs and crashes v36 download - After the 24th of October 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please report all single player bugs and crashes from the v36 download here.

SVN users please use the other thread. This will make it easier for all when trying to find solutions.

The SVN is a beta version of the next release and will contain fixes to the current version but is in a state of flux. If you want to use the SVN version instead of the download see the SVN thread.

If the bug involved a repeatable "Crash to Desktop" (CTD) or similar please include
  • a save and description of how to reproduce the crash
  • if your mods folder is not Caveman2Cosmos please state what it is when posting a save to help the modders and save them time when trying to identify the problem.
  • the MiniDump.dmp file. It is found in your Beyond the Sword folder that contains the Mods file containing Caveman2Cosmos. IE the folder that contains the BeyondTheSword.exe file.

If the bug includes error messages then the Python.Err file in the logs folder would be useful also. It can be found in the same location as the the Saves folder containing your save games.

A screen shot.

Basically as much information as you can that will help us find the problem[/INDENT]

If you saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibiting the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

How to turn on logging.

In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
Code:
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0 

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

Note: You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

How to turn on the AI logging.

The AI logging is turned on in the BUG options screens. It is the BBAI log mentioned on the Logs page. It writes to the same folder as the other logs creating a BBAI.log file there.

Known issues
Lotus Temple wonder causes an infinite loop either making the turn never end or a CTD

Forming a Colony may cause you to declare war on everyone including your other vassals.

Boats on auto explore will try and heal next to land units that are damaging them. They stay there trying until they sink.

Signs you place on the map disappear if you save. This is for landmark signs also as they are the same thing.

The map script Three Planets probably wont work crashing to desk top. There is something wrong with the way the terrain graphics interact. If you use the older alternate terrain graphics it will probably work. Not sure with the newer alternate terrain graphics. We are trying to figure out why.

The Mangrove terrain feature is the cause of the various grain resources and others sometimes looking like swamps. It is being looked at but is basically a complete mystery.​

In the bugreport you warned us that the Lotus Temple causes a crash. How can i remove this great wonder a the start of the game (or remove the religion) ?

In Assets/Modules/Platyping edit Platyping_CIV4BuildingInfos.XML using a text editor.

Find <BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_LOTUS_TEMPLE</BuildingClass>. In this section find
Code:
			<PrereqTech>TECH_RADIO</PrereqTech>
and change it to
Code:
			<PrereqTech>TECH_FUTURE_TECH</PrereqTech>

The great person system does not seem to be working right. I built the Ikhanda and did not get any great general points for it. I then went into the city screen and made 1 citizen into a priest to see what would happen and I started getting great general points but no points for the priest. I changed it back and was getting no points even though I have Ikhanda built.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 131
  • James - C2C Ver36.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
I'm having trouble getting it to work. When I try to load the mod I get a ton of error messages, and if I slog through them I can get the mod to work but I don't see any action buttons or other information, rather just the units and the map.

Double check to make sure there is only a single 'caveman2cosmos' folder. When you unzip the file it may have made a 'caveman2cosmos' folder underneath another folder called 'caveman2 cosmos'. When you move (or if you unzipped directly) to the mods folder you want to be sure there is only a single 'caveman2 cosmos' folder and multiple sub folders within the single folder. If you have the layered version, simply strip off the outer folder.

I don't seem to have a layered version. I saw a mention of the problem with having no action buttons and such and it had to to with the bug mod, but the screenshots explaining how to fix it are gone...

The great person system does not seem to be working right. I built the Ikhanda and did not get any great general points for it. I then went into the city screen and made 1 citizen into a priest to see what would happen and I started getting great general points but no points for the priest. I changed it back and was getting no points even though I have Ikhanda built.
Sounds like you have an active negative modifier on GP points. Perhaps this comes from a low education level.

I'm having trouble getting it to work. When I try to load the mod I get a ton of error messages, and if I slog through them I can get the mod to work but I don't see any action buttons or other information, rather just the units and the map.
Ensure that you've set your system to run the game as an admin.

Sounds like you have an active negative modifier on GP points. Perhaps this comes from a low education level.

The education level is +221. I also don't know why taking a worker off of a tile and using it as a priest gives me great general points. Shouldn't it be giving points towards a great priest instead?

The education level is +221. I also don't know why taking a worker off of a tile and using it as a priest gives me great general points. Shouldn't it be giving points towards a great priest instead?

Is there a negative modifier from your civics? It still appears to be based on that somehow. Perhaps there's a bug creating a negative modifier somewhere that shouldn't be but we should first check all possible sources, such as local buildings, traits and civics.

The points assigned when you have less overall GP pts than you have 'type' value assigned to them can get a little funny. Without looking at the code it's hard to say what the hierarchy order that's established comes from.

To explain this more mathematically, if you have +2 GP pts for General and +2 GP pts for Priest, the question the code answers somehow that I would need to look into more carefully to explain in full is, what happens when you have a modifier and as a result you're only getting +1 GP pts overall? Which would the type be? General? Priest? The code figures it out somehow. It's likely either based on the order in which the GP type pts were added in or the order of how they are introduced through the XML at mod load.

So you said you had a Great General producing wonder in the city so it looks like without the priest you have a total of 0 or less GP pts coming in somehow. So when you added a Priest, it got the overall GP pts up to positive levels but the GG pts were what it chose to assign them to since both were valid.

I just checked my traits and the Organized trait has a -25 to the GP birthrate that may be what is causing this. If that is so, then this may not be a bug at all. I'll go ahead a play this on out and see what happens later.

Edit: it looks like things are ok. I just got Bull Leaping built and I see great general points from Ikhanda and artist points from Bull Leaping now showing up. It looks like it was my mistake and I'm sorry about it.

I just checked my traits and the Organized trait has a -25 to the GP birthrate that may be what is causing this. If that is so, then this may not be a bug at all. I'll go ahead a play this on out and see what happens later.

Edit: it looks like things are ok. I just got Bull Leaping built and I see great general points from Ikhanda and artist points from Bull Leaping now showing up. It looks like it was my mistake and I'm sorry about it.

I'm quite happy to explain how an effect is taking place. Many times in C2C a player may feel they've encountered a bug only to find that it's a design feature they weren't aware of. Vanilla Civ IV never had any sources of negative GP modifiers if I recall so it wasn't something you'd have likely encountered outside of our mod.

I'm also happy it's not a bug! :D

I got a blank wonder completion screen for Aesop's Fables.
No picture and no text.
This was from a v35.5 game updated to v36

I got a blank wonder completion screen for Aesop's Fables.
No picture and no text.
This was from a v35.5 game updated to v36

Yep, that is correct. We need a movie or picture for there. What you have is much better than the black image and high pitched screech that was provided by the modder. Unfortunately the modder went inactive.

Anyone know of an image we can use for it?

I don't have a layered version, and I tried running as an admin. What happens is I get about 20 or so error pop-ups and then I'm able to start a game, except that there are no action buttons or anything, just terrain and units. I can even found a city but if I double click the city I don't get the city screen as much as just a slight closeup of the city.

I noticed a suggestion that it has something to to with something called bug, whatever that is, but the link explaining it no longer worked.

The last version I used was v33...

I don't have a layered version, and I tried running as an admin. What happens is I get about 20 or so error pop-ups and then I'm able to start a game, except that there are no action buttons or anything, just terrain and units. I can even found a city but if I double click the city I don't get the city screen as much as just a slight closeup of the city.

I noticed a suggestion that it has something to to with something called bug, whatever that is, but the link explaining it no longer worked.

What version of windows are you running?

A couple of things to check:

1. In the Mods folder, the game must be called "Caveman2Cosmos", the two capital "C"s are important.

It must not be called anything else.

If that is not the case:

2. Check that you do not have the folder "Caveman2Cosmos" installed into a folder called "Caveman2Cosmos"

If that is the reason - other posters will tell you what to do. :)

A couple of things to check:

1. In the Mods folder, the game must be called "Caveman2Cosmos", the two capital "C"s are important.

It must not be called anything else.

If that is not the case:

2. Check that you do not have the folder "Caveman2Cosmos" installed into a folder called "Caveman2Cosmos"

If that is the reason - other posters will tell you what to do. :)

Checked on both, I'm fine on both points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom