The Great DoC UHV v 1.13 challenge

ales_

Heir
If you have won a UHV and have a higher score, earlier winning date, higher score or earlier winning date on another victory/speed combination, higher score or earlier winning date in another scenario than listed in this post (below), then post the following information: your save after the victory, civ, score, winning date, difficulty, game speed, scenario, Git commit (if using Git); and, if you want, strategy and screenshots.

Virtual victory: If you have achieved all goals (everything is green on the victory screen), but you haven't won yet (because it's too early), then post two winning dates: a virtual and the real. The earliest victory will be considered by the virtual date. You have to post a save to prove it.

Note #1: Please, post a save immediately before victory. If you post a save after the victory the winning date in the OP would be that of the save.

Note #2: You can't use WorldBuilder.

Note #3: You can use only version 1.13 or Git commit 9850b77 or later.

Note #4: You can describe the Git commit you're using in any way you want, so long as I'll understand it.

List of victories:
Civilization | Scenario | Username(s) | Difficulty | Speed | Score | Winning date | Link
Egypt|3000 BC|Publicola|Regent|Normal| 11812 |170 AD, V: 265 BC | Link
China
Babylonia
Harappa|3000 BC|Publicola|Regent|Normal| 24088 | 1050 BC | Link
Greece
India
Phoenicia
Polynesia|3000 BC|Publicola|Regent|Normal| 4330 | 700 AD | Link
Persia
Rome
Tamils
Ethiopia
Korea
Maya
Byzantium
Japan
Vikings
Arabia|600 AD|windman|Heir|Marathon| 8577 | 1300 AD | Link
Tibet
Khmer
Indonesia
Moors
Spain
France
England
Holy Rome
Russia
Mali
Poland
Portugal
Inca
Italy
Mongolia
Aztec
Mughals
Turkey
Thailand
Congo
Iran
Netherlands
Germany
America
Argentina
Mexico
Colombia
Brazil
Canada

There was posted no victories as the following civs: China, Babylonia, Greece, India, Phoenicia, Persia, Rome, Tamils, Ethiopia, Korea, Maya, Byzantium, Japan, Vikings, Tibet, Khmer, Indonesia, Moors, Spain, France, England, Holy Rome, Russia, Mali, Poland, Portugal, Inca, Italy, Mongolia, Aztec, Mughals, Turkey, Thailand, Congo, Iran, Netherlands, Germany, America, Argentina, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Canada.

Civilisation: Polynesia
Victory Type: Historical
Version: 1.13 (no Git)
Score (normalized): 4330, Warren G. Harding
Actual Date: t191, 700 AD
Difficulty: Regent
Gamespeed: Normal
Game Save: View attachment Aho'eitu (Publicola) Bronze Age Turn 191.CivBeyondSwordSave

Spoiler :

Given that I got my UHV 50 turns before the deadline, I'm pretty sure this record will stand for a while. The key to getting an earlier victory is to streamline Rapa Nui -- once you've settled the city, it takes 30 turns to complete the Moai Statutes, and you can typically finish settling the other cities in that time. Unlike citis, I actually didn't go for the Tahiti fish until after I'd made a culture bridge to the next island.

Spoiler :

Research was predictably lackluster; my first go-round I streamlined Aesthetics, which came so late in the game as to be entirely useless. This time I tried to streamline Currency, though that failed pretty miserably.I also held off on settling New Zealand, Hawaii, and Marquesas until I could do all three at once -- less impact on maintenance, and an immediate start to the Golden Age so I wouldn't have to worry about running a deficit.

EDIT: I went back and grabbed a save file from t191.

Attachments

• Polynesia_timeline.JPG
    Polynesia_timeline.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 3,037
  • Polynesia_UHV.JPG
    Polynesia_UHV.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 3,009
Civilization: Harappa
Score (normalized): 24088, Augustus Caesar
Actual Date: t72, 1050 BC
Game Save: View attachment Vatavelli (Publicola) Bronze Age Turn 72.CivBeyondSwordSave

Spoiler :

Trying out the new civs, part 2. I sent my initial warrior due southwest, then hugged the coast until I cleared a straight route to Babylon. I then let him wander through Turkey and Europe picking up the three tribal villages, before returning in time to confirm the trade connection with Babylon.

My opening build order was worker, city builder, city builder, bath, wall. My first worker built the wheat farm, then the cow pasture, and connected it in time to build the marble quarry. My tech order was Animal Husbandry, Mining, Masonry, Fishing (picked up from a Europe hut), Sailing. I honestly haven't the foggiest idea how to squeeze in those techs without the hut -- you could ignore Animal Husbandry, but that's your pasture, your main source of production!

Any way, I planted my first city at Mohenjo-Daro (on the desert, to maximize the usable flood plains) and my second at Ujjaini. That second one was a bit unconventional -- away from the coast and on a 'foreign' tile, but right next to rice, cotton, and with wheat and another cotton within the BFC. It was technically in India's flip zone, but I let them declare war and they never got troops around in time to threaten it. Still, my stability was hanging by a thread there at the end -- I had to hold off on discovering 'Priesthood' because it would have caused a collapse-to-core.

After finishing the baths and walls, I basically loaded up on archers. I was able to one-shot the warrior defending the indie city, and though I took casualties I did succeed in defending that fourth city against the Indian 'liberators', which gave me the final two population points. I probably could have ignored it and gone for the Hanging Gardens (I was a few turns away from completing that in my UHV), but taking the Indian city worked a bit faster.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Harappa_timeline.JPG
    Harappa_timeline.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 2,994
  • Harappa_UHV.JPG
    Harappa_UHV.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 3,076
  • Harappa_score.JPG
    Harappa_score.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 3,012
Civilization: Babylon
Score: 10640, Nelson Mandela
Virtual Date: T65, Don't know the year
Real Date: T94, 700 BC

I'm sort of new actually posting here so if I screw something up, let me know. Thought I'd take a quick stab at one of my favorite Civs to play and just do historic victory. I got super lucky and this is the first time I ever "won" before turn 94. Btw, I edited my scenario to disable time victory and lock modified assets in case you need that information.

Strategy:
Settled Babylon, sent warrior east to the hut and popped Writing (yes, I know, super lucky). Researched to polytheism, picked up masonry (switched civics), picked up priesthood and then monarchy. Timed Oracle to finish with monarchy for code of laws. Build order was worker first. He worked the sheep, a (useless) cottage, built a road on the tile toward the copper (had downtime before masonry), then stone, marble, and whatever after that. Then I started working a granary, switched to the ziggurat when mysticism was researched. Pretty sure I whipped the granary when the stone came online and built Hanging Gardens and Ishtar Gate. Whipped a library and timed it with Oracle as mentioned above. At that point, I had virtual victory on turn 65, and prepped for the Persian invasion by teching mining, bronze working, building barracks and walls, and military from that point. Aaaaaaand, the Persian's didn't invade me, lol. Waited till turn 94, won. Saves attached.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Hammurabi Stone Age Turn 65.CivBeyondSwordSave
    166.2 KB · Views: 372
  • Hammurabi Bronze Age Turn 94.CivBeyondSwordSave
    212.1 KB · Views: 186
Civilization: Egypt
Score (normalized): 11812, Winston Churchill
Virtual Date: t123
Actual Date: t152, 170 AD
Game Save (virtual):View attachment Ramesses II (Publicola) Iron Age Turn 123 - virtual.CivBeyondSwordSave
Game Save (actual): View attachment Ramesses II (Publicola) AD-0170 Turn 152 - actual.CivBeyondSwordSave

I placed my capital one tile north, on Niwt-Rst, to make sure I could reach the wheat. My build order was worker, obelisk, Pyramid, Sphinx, settler, settler, Hanging Garden -- and yeah, the story of the game is that I got really, really lucky in getting to those specific wonders in time (see below). Unfortunately, it had its drawback: my first GP was a Great Engineer. That meant I was able to hurry yet another wonder, but since I couldn't double-up the "Great Works of Art" it took me a bit longer to reach the third UHV condition.

Spoiler :

I settled two other cities: one at Ra Kedet for the Great Lighthouse, the other at Yebu for the gold and the elephant. I'm pretty sure this three-city setup is optimal -- you could get the gold mine within the BFC of your capital from your starting point, but with no food on that tile and no wheat your capital would be pretty lackluster.

Spoiler :

The above is my virtual victory; note that I have another Great Artist waiting in the wings, if it weren't already worthless since I'd already reached the required culture level.

After the virtual victory, it was simply a matter of weathering the storm of both Greek and Roman conqueror events. Greece was easy enough, but those Roman Legions were dreadful. Fortunately, the AI has a tendency to use their catapults first to wear down the city walls, so there is enough time to build up your forces. In the brief interim between invasions, I actually managed to sneak some troops up to Greece in time for Roman's conqueror event against them -- the Roman attack killed or wounded most of the defenders, but it wasn't large enough to capture Athens in a single turn, so I snuck in and grabbed in. Defending it against the Romans was harsh, but Athens really is a marvelous city, especially as Greece had build the Great Cothon there. I was able to complete the Colossus shortly before the actual victory date, as well as a final Great Prophet to discover Theology, both of which boosted my score.

Spoiler :

P.S. Ales, please note my new Polynesia save file goes to the proper victory date (t191 rather than t192). Thanks!

Attachments

• Egypt_victory proof.JPG
    Egypt_victory proof.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 2,827
  • Egypt_UHV (virtual).JPG
    Egypt_UHV (virtual).JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 3,033
  • Egypt_UHV (real).JPG
    Egypt_UHV (real).JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,884
  • Egypt_timeline.JPG
    Egypt_timeline.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 2,780
  • Egypt_cities.JPG
    Egypt_cities.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 2,901
Civilization: Arabia
Start Year: 600 AD
Score (normalized): 8577, Simon Bolivar
Actual Date: t201, 1300 AD
Difficulty: Heir
Gamespeed: Marathon
Game Save: View attachment Saladin AD-1300 Turn 750.CivBeyondSwordSave

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, so let me know if I messed up. The new map with enlarged India is quite fun for Arabia. I know you will laugh since I play it with Heir difficulty :crazyeye:.

In Europe: First use all camel to crush Byzantine's capital, usually 1 or 2 camel would lose, but the city is yours, with lots of food to crop population. When Germany spawn, they will bring some troops to welcome you (auto declare war). I bring my fast moving camels to Germany's two plain cities (not Wien, which is on the hill), then capture them. Then more camels to capture France's cities (their troops are trying to capture Rome and cannot be home in time). France will be your first vessel. Then Spain is yours.

In Asia: More fun than the old map (v1.12), since India is larger with more cities to be conquered. Notice that the defense troops in India independent cities are stronger in general (bonus vs. mounted). Still, at this difficulty level, it is not a problem:hammer:. After conquering India, hold back at Iran, to wait two waves of Seljuk. After eliminating Seljuk troops, basically you can roll the troops to conquer silk road cities, and then China and/or Korea before Mongol does, to spread the religion.

In America: When Optic is researched, hurry a caravel in Asia (I choose Seoul) to meet our friends in Mexico and Andean. Selectively conquer their cities and return them after they capitulate. Still my stability goes down to -19 during the conquest, and cities not in the core, historical or contested area were lost (but easy to get them back, or just let them go).

At Home: Build those two :religion: wonders, otherwise the economy and research would suck:cry:.
Pay attention to the Turks at the end! Do not let them have Mesopotamia. But losing Constantine is fine for the Historical win.

I know this is rather a 'test' than a challenge, so welcome to show your much higher scores at other difficulty levels.

Spoiler :
2.jpg1.jpg

Thank you! The OP was updated to post #8.
King of Zeal, unfortunately, I can't open your save (post #6) because of locked modified assets. So such victories are not accepted.
Publicola, your victory (post #2) was updated with an earlier date.
The OP is fully up-to-date. There are 43 civs left.

King of Zeal, unfortunately, I can't open your save (post #6) because of locked modified assets. So such victories are not accepted.

Alright, I understand but I probably won't participate then. I have a terrible habit of opening world builder when playing Rhye's and Fall if I don't lock the assets. I can't play without that option these days.

Civilisation: Polynesia
Score (normalized): 8592, Simon Bolivar
Actual Date: t200, 790 AD
Difficulty: Paragon
Game Save: View attachment Aho'eitu (Publicola) Stone Age Turn 200.CivBeyondSwordSave

So this was my first time, not just trying to get a Paragon UHV, but even just trying to to survive while playing in Paragon mode. Given its isolation and simple(ish) nature as a strategic puzzle, Polynesia was actually a pretty good way to dip my toe in the water.

In other words, Paragon is HARD. I have substantially more respect for those who pulled it off while playing other, less forgiving civs.

Anyway, the key to the early game is to reach Priesthood for your unique building, and this means pushing research as hard as possible. I maxed out population in each of my cities early on -- you'll want to switch to Pantheon for the extra happy face as soon as you pick up Polytheism. It was quite a juggling act to build out my population while still pushing out settlers like clockwork, but as long as your capital population doesn't dip belong 3 you should be fine. I managed to get Priesthood by turn 117, and reached Tahiti about ~15 turns later.

Spoiler :

The above image was actually a mistake that I went back and corrected; you don't want to build a Mala'e in your capital immediately, since that delays the two settlers that you need to build to send east and north. In fact, you don't even need to assign an artist in your capital in order to reach New Zealand in time; build a Mala'e after those first settlers, then wait: your capital's culture will eventually spread to the third ring.

Once they've build Mala'es to spread their culture, I typically assign Manua to build an extra settler (to lessen the weight on my capital) and Niue to build boats (lots of them) to ensure everything gets where it's needed in time. Your priority should always be to settle Rapa Nui as soon as possible -- that starts the 30-turn countdown for the Moai Statues and victory.

Spoiler :

Generally the route to New Zealand opens up first -- there are no barbarians, so drop off your settler and return to pick up the next guy. The route to Hawaii should clear up next; it's only a culture bridge to the next island up, but as long as you have a settler and a Great Artist (use Tahiti...) you'll be fine. Position your settlers, but wait on founding the other cities until you have that one ready. Then pop the city, create a great work, move the transport up to Oahu and land your settler. Then, the following turn, have your New Zealand, Marquesas and Oahu settlers all found their cities, and your golden age is begun. Cue the 'Final Countdown' song.

Attachments

• Polynesia+ UHV.JPG
    Polynesia+ UHV.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 2,764
  • Polynesia+ cities.JPG
    Polynesia+ cities.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,845
Civilisation: HRE
Score (normalized): 8565, Simon Bolivar
Actual Date: t278, 1485 AD
Difficulty: Emperor
Game Save: see attachement

For strategy see the Paragon-game further down.

Attachments

• Barbarossa AD-1485 Turn 278.CivBeyondSwordSave
    777.5 KB · Views: 186
Civilization: Carthage
Start Year: 3000 BC
Score (normalized): 16578,
Actual Date: t468/1500, 201 AD
Difficulty: Heir
Game Save: View attachment Hannibal AD-0201 Turn 468.CivBeyondSwordSave

Another Heir fun!

Nothing unusual. My style is to build the first city on Cyprus(Bronze island):crazyeye:. Capture Greek and Roman cities soon, and build one more city in the new Core area in North Africa (for stability), one in Spain. Hold to accumulate cash, and send one Great Merchant to a Persian, or even a Chinese city (I found the :commerce:cash bonus is similar).

During the waiting time for the final UHV, conquer Celt, Babylon, Egypt and Persian cities for fun, but look at the Stability carefully, otherwise Rome reborn.

Spoiler :
NewTyre_Globe.jpgNewTyre_v.jpgNewTyre1.jpg

Civilization: Harappa
Score (normalized): 33030, Augustus Caesar
Actual Date: t65, 1225 BC
Difficulty: Monarch
Game Save: View attachment Vatavelli Stone Age Turn 65.CivBeyondSwordSave

Fun little puzzle. Started by settling Harappa 1 NE on the sugar. Build order was worker, city builder, city builder, bath, and walls, with Nausharo (1 W of start, from Harappa's first city builder) building warriors for happiness after building its own bath.

Research was Mining, Masonry, Fishing, Sailing, AH. I waited a bit too long to discover the Persian Gulf for the trade route to Babylon, so the indys killed the warrior I sent to do it. If they hadn't ignored the worker I stole from them, I wouldn't have discovered the route in time!

Accidentally razed Delhi (I wanted to take it) when my culture caused a revolt with only 1 population in the city. Luckily I had been building another city builder in Nausharo, and the extra 2 pop pushed me over the edge.

Another try for the Holy Roman Empire. This time on Paragon. :)

Civilisation: HRE
Score (normalized): 8548, Simon Bolivar
Actual Date: t268, 1435 AD
Difficulty: Paragon
Game Save: see attachement

Strategy:

Research: First Drama (starting to get those great artists for vienna as early as possible), then printing press.

Settle Brandenburg. Attack Venice and Rome with your initial army. After the conquest of Italy start building ships there for the conquest of Jerusalem.

The other cities build military units and monasteries and temples. Prepare for an attack of the Norse (I think this is scripted) and perhaps the Polish.

Depending on who rules Jerusalem just surprise attack it, so you own it in turn 60. If you think you can hold it, take it as early as possible.

Build theatres as early as possible in Vienna, Rome and Brandenburg/Berlin and run 2 artists. Build Opera House in one of those cities, too, running 5 artists there.

Production of science will speed up reasarch of printing press.

That's it. :)

It can definitely be done faster, but I lost 5 turns, because my 3rd GP was a GE in Rome (even with 60% for GA). :mad:
Getting the 3rd from researching Patronage first, would speed it up, too, but I am unsure if this can be done on Paragon.

Attachments

• Barbarossa AD-1435 Turn 268.CivBeyondSwordSave
    754.2 KB · Views: 118
not the most impressive but since they're one of - if not THE - favourite civs of mine, I had to do this:

Spoiler :

Civ: Indonesia
Victory: UHV
Version: GIT (1.13), current
Start: 600AD
Score normalized: 4101
Actual Victory: 1940
Virtual Victory: 1370
Speed: Normal

In the end I basically fulfilled the 2nd UHV of one of my other fav. civs and got the Japanese Empire :D

Strategy:
Indonesia has basically no production, however you can found 3,5 huge cities in its core.

I go for Palembang (start), Jakarta (on the stone) and Sukadana (between Fish and Clam, north of Jakarta) as my initial cities.

Since you'll need some money, I recommend getting a holy city or two. In previous versions Pataliputra was the way to go, but this is harder now.
Thus I went for China. I upgraded 2 of my 3 starting archers to crossbowmen and took Guangzhou, produced/whipped a cat + 1-2 swordsmen in Palembang (oh yeah, I switched to Slavery) to take the other Chinese coastal city and their holy city.

This is the difficult part. You need a lot of luck / save-loading to get here. If Hinduism spreads to any of your 3 core cities -> restart.
If you fail to conquer the holy city -> restart.

From there it is actually a lot easier, though you will be quite unstable for a long time (slavery).
It is tempting to take the Khmer capitol early, but don't, the maintenance cost will hurt you.
If you can, go for Pataliputra next (you need to wait for workers to build a path through the jungle for you). I couldnt/didn't in my game, so it's not 100% necessary.

Grow your core-cities, found Manila (gold) and close to the time you want to finish UHV 2, "Trowulan" in southern Australia, near the silver.
Get Cotton / Incense / Wine via trade (Mongolia, Tibet and Arabia/Byzantium are options for this).
One you have the first 2 UHVs you are basically free to play however you want, just remember the EU trading company events (most importantly the Netherlands).

Tech strategy: start with Alphabet, trade Currency & Calendar from Japan/Tibet/.... and then switch to 80-100% spy points and steal whatever you can from China & Mongolia.

Attachments

• Hayam Chep AD-1940 Turn 420.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 186
  • Hayam Chep AD-1370 Turn 258.CivBeyondSwordSave
    635.1 KB · Views: 180
they're not in my core, their food situation is pretty bad and city maintenance is a huge factor until you own 1-2 holy cities.

I only conquered Thailand/Khmer after I fulfilled UHV 1&2 because before then the cities would have been too big of a drain on my economy.
Overall I played it not that well after the virtual victory, because I was too passive (started building troops to deal with the dutch in 1600 AD, only conquered Japan near the end...), so the score can probably be topped quite easily. but as I said the important part in the game as Indonesia is that earlygame.

after warming up a bit, I chose another one of my traditional civs:

Chepinian I of Byzantium
Paragon/Normal
3000BC
VIRTUAL VICTORY: 830 AD (!)

Victory: 1450
Score: 30216
1.13/current GIT

Spoiler :

Paragon is sometimes a bit crazy (Persia had Gunpowder pre-800AD), but 3000BC-Byzantium can be really powerful thanks to Greece.
I had a decent start (had better ones on older patches but told myself to only roll up 5 before playing) with 1-2 wonders in Konstantinople . Unfortunately Rome had the Lighthouse, didn't declare war on me and only collapsed around 650AD.

When going for the UHV you have to start with 0% research in order to get the 5k gold (if you get a good start you can research Engineering first, making it easier), try to get a GM (possibly even 2) - I had one and "only" sent him to Mekka (1500 Gold).
DONT agree to the Arab flip, I always keep some Kataphracts just outside of Egypt to kill Camel Archers coming through the Suez area.

I decided to build up an army for the Seljuks and then crushed the Arabs with it after repelling those. I had Cuirassiers in 1260, so just in time for the Mongols (the got Mekka for 2-4 turns :( ) and the Turks.

if you want any saves from inbetween the ones provided, just tell me :)
After beating the turks I went for a "domination"-playstyle but it seems impossible to get the culture/land needed for that now. I got the pop though :)

edit: Indonesia & Byzantium are on "9850b77" if thats the right value to indicate the current GIT-version

Attachments

• Chepinian I AD-0830 Turn 204-virtual.CivBeyondSwordSave
    572.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Chepinian I AD-1450 Turn 271.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.1 MB · Views: 243
  • Chepinian I AD-1280 Turn 249.CivBeyondSwordSave
    878.5 KB · Views: 210
Civilization: Greece
Score (normalized): 24292, Augustus Caesar
Actual Date: t369/1500, 294 BC
Game Save: View attachment Pericles Iron Age Turn 369.CivBeyondSwordSave

After conquering Egypt and Babylon, my economy is drained and the research drops to 20%. Eventually a Great Merchant pops out, and is sent to India. After that, 100% research will get Drama and Philosophy quickly. I razed Rome for fun, otherwise the score would be higher.

I was once thinking to have a Religious Victory, but there were not enough cities to run so many (15) pagan temples. Were I more careful, I might save five more cities not to be razed, but it is still not enough for that.

Spoiler :

GreekEnd.jpgGreekWonder.jpgGreekScore.jpgGreekMap.jpg

Top Bottom