Tips for Total Conversions

You can almost certainly remove more, but you're then heavily into the realms of UI modding to remove assumptions Firaxis coded in (like there being a space race of a fixed number of parts on the Victory Progress screen), or you're getting very close to the "hard-coded in the DLL, expect a CTD some time soon" boundary!

How are you with C++? I cannot fathom starting a total conversion without pretty solid understanding of the DLL and C++, debugging, and a team of talented people.

... who doesn't think it's necessary to know C++ to write a TC. Just take a look at Anno Domini (sp?), the (no longer available) Roman mods (mainly posted on the 2K forum) and the Russian Front mod by WW2Commander - to name just three

*shrugs* Opinions are opinions. Being able to thoroughly debug or change base features is a massive help to building a TC.

To be honest, my TC would definitively not happen without Howard's VMC, but mostly because of the ridiculous amount of freedom his GameEvents provide; you can do wonders.
Most base features (in my mod, that is) that are too specific to even ask for someone to mod into a public DLL can be replicated through Lua and some UI modding*.

*UI modding is a nightmare for me, but surely learning C++ would surely take a bit more time.

(OP updated)

That's what I was afraid of :( Buying combat unit with faith (which represents summoning) is an important aspect of my mod, so I need to force the AI to do it using Lua.

The CP AI knows how to faith-buy military and non-military units, might look at copying that data from the CP if you want (or just use the CP as your base). The VMC is part of it, along with its glorious events.

Re: total conversion tips – there are tons of references for defines that don't control for zero. They'll cause lots of fun if you don't manage these global defines properly.

G

The CP AI knows how to faith-buy military and non-military units, might look at copying that data from the CP if you want (or just use the CP as your base). The VMC is part of it, along with its glorious events.

That's great, as I wrote elsewhere I'm going to use the CP DLL as the base for my mod :) I need to analyze the source code (and make some changes if needed) to make sure that the AI will purchase combat units in the circumstances that happen in my mod, but so far it sounds promising.

What happens depends on a lot of other variables. If you're not using the faith system or the world congress, very little at a guess (at that's where most of the era hard-coding happens). If you're keeping one or both of those, then you'll need to use ERA_INDUSTRIAL as the type and change the TXT_KEYs to call it what you want.

You'll also have to dig into the PostDefines table and see what effect remove the other two eras has ... you may be able to get away with changing them both to ERA_INDUSTRIAL.

But on the upside, you do have an (almost) empty and working canvas to experiment in!

Changing era Types will almost certainly mess with any Early/Mid/Late unit reskins achieve via the ART_ tags

Whoward, didn't Pazyryk have a tutorial thread on how to check through Lua whether any of your SQL failed to load? That could be pretty useful here (and I can't find the thread!!).

He does. Basically it inserts a name/value pair into a table (you can use Defines) at the end of every sql file, and then uses Lua to check that every expected value is in the table as the mod starts/loads.

Unfortunately it's not fool-proof, as it's possible for a statement to be invalid (and hence not execute) while not causing the sql file to fail (I ran into that issue when creating the "TC - Minimal" mod)

Edit: And it's here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=480793

Top Bottom