Civ 5 Design Challenge VII - OCC

Chinese American

Hamtastic Knight
"You down with OCC, yeah you know me."

Firaxis actually made a civ, Venice, specifically to beat OCC and went to great lengths to create new mechanics to accommodate it (no annexing, Merchant of Venice, etc.) Venice's forte is diplomatic victory by immense gold production which is used to bribe the city-states to your side.

So your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to create a balanced OCC civ that can win the game. These challenges will select narrow criteria in order to extend the life of this thread.

The first challenge is to create a good OCC civ that primarily wins via cultural victory. ("When your cumulative Tourism output for the entire game surpasses the cumulative Culture output of each remaining civilization in the game, you win the Culture Victory.")

Some settings we should lay out (unless there's a good reason to stray).
  1. No settlers ever. Can't build them, capture them, etc. Except the one you start with to found your capital.
  2. No annexing cities. Puppets are okay for now.
  3. No Merchant of Venice. That is Venice's UU. You may make similar UUs.
  4. You must have exactly two unique things (any combination of units, buildings, and improvements).
  5. You may have preferred starting locations. e.g. Starts along the ocean, in the forest, etc.
  6. Typical start: Agriculture, Settler, Warrior.

I'm down. Gimme a while to think of something, but definitely like this idea

Ooooh, interesting! Definitely one of the bigger Design Challenges as well! I'm in (if I get some inspiration)

San Marino

Unique Ability:Titanic Republic: Can Choose an Ideology upon reaching Renaissance. Every time a Civilization following your ideology pick a Social Policy, generate 100 Tourism to all known civilizations. Cannot obtain Settlers or Annex Cities.
(Collective Rule Generates a Great Writer upon being chosen)

Unique Unit: Pavise Crossbowman. Double Combat Strenght, but has only 1 movement point. Doesn't obsolete. Can be expended in a Cultural Landmark to increase its Culture output by 3.

Unique Building: Peak Tower: Replaces Castle. Converts 10% of the City Hit Points into culture. This culture counts as wonder produced for the purposes of Airports and Hotels. +1 Happiness for each era of existance.

Civ: Hollywood

UA: The Creative City. 100 Gold each time you create a Great Work. Writers, Artists, and Musicians generate +1 Food and Production. +25% Great People growth rate.

UU: Action Hero. (replaces Knight) (Action Survivor) Heals all HP when kills enemy, and ignores zone of control.

UB: Hollywood Studio. (replaces Hydro Plant) 3 Great Works of Writing and 3 Writers. Great Works in this city generate +2 Culture and Tourism.

:tourism: Athens :tourism:
:c5capital: Athens
Pericles

UA: The Delian League
Cannot build settlers nor annex cities. For each :c5citystate: city-state ally you have, +10% :c5greatperson: great person generation in the :c5capital: capital. Each time a :c5greatperson: great person is born, gain a burst of :tourism: with all civilizations fighting a common enemy.

UU: Trieres
Replaces Trireme. If you have gifted a Trireres to a civilization, gain a burst of :tourism: tourism with them whenever they produce a naval unit. If you have gifted one to a :c5citystate: city-state, gain a burst of :c5influence: influence whenever they produce a naval unit.

UB: Acropolis
Replaces Castle. Available at Engineering. Does not require Walls, and much cheaper. In addition to basic defense bonuses, every time a wonder or religious building is built in the city, it produces a burst of :c5influence: influence with every known :c5citystate: city state. 3 slots for :greatwork: works of art/artifacts, themed same era same civilization.

That's a Sparta and an Athens from me so far, I expect there'll be more in the future thanks to this design challenge.

I got an idea :D

Disneyland (Walt Disney)
UA: The Happiest Place on Earth: May not annex cities nor build settlers (settlers gained via other sources (such as policies) are turned into Imagineers. :c5puppet: Puppeted cities are turned into Disneyland Resorts and cost 10 :c5gold: Gold maintenance in the :c5capital: Capital. (NOTE: It sounds stupid, but it makes sure that you are really doing the OCC, though it does at least provide +5 culture in the capital (once it has the UB))
Luxury Resources provide an additional +2 :c5happy: Happiness. Gain 1 :tourism: Tourism in the :c5capital: Capital for every 10 points of (global) :c5happy: Happiness. Gain 1% :c5production: Production in the :c5capital: Capital towards buildings that provide :c5culture: Culture or :tourism: Tourism for every other point of (global) :c5happy: Happiness (max 30%).

UU: Imagineer (replaces the Worker): May not settle cities,Production Cost (slowly) scales by Era May be used to construct a Disneyland Ride/Area* (a random improvement) on a tile of choice in a city with a Sleeping Beauty Castle (there we go, that kinda forces the OCC). Workers are consumed when building a Disneyland Ride/Area (so the amount of rides/areas gradually increases during the course of the game)Workers may start building rides/areas once a ride-blueprint is placed on a tile. (NOTE: I didn't want to make Workers obsolete)

UB: Sleeping Beauty Castle (replaces the Circus Maximus): Unlocked earlier, at Trapping, and only costs 75% of the production of the Circus Maximus. +5 :c5happy: Happiness. Provides :c5culture: Culture equal to half of the city's total building maintenance :c5gold: costs. Boosts a city's :tourism: Tourism output by 10%. Costs 4 :c5gold: Gold per turn maintenance.

Start Bias: Avoid Coast (so that Imagineers can construct the most improvements as possible.)

Spoiler Rides/Areas :

- Main Street, U.S.A. (a wild-western themed area with quite a few shops/cafes): +2 Gold, +1 Food
- Town Square (where you can have meet 'n greets with Disney characters): +2 Happiness, +1 Culture, and +10% Great Artist, Great Writer, and Great Musician generation.
- Space Mountain (a roller-coaster): +2 Science, +1 Happiness
- Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (I had to add this since Finding Dory is now in the Cinemas): May only be constructed on coast- or lake-tiles, +2 Food, +10% production when constructing naval units; An additional +20% production when constructing submarines.
- Buzz Lightyear's AstroBlasters (pew pew): +1 production, +10% production when constructing ranged units, Gain a Great General upon completion of the construction.
- Peter Pan's Flight: Number of Air units allowed to be stationed in the city is doubled. Gain a free Interceptor if you have the required technology, gain a free Imagineer when you don't.
- It's a small world (now the song is in your head, isn't it? :p): Gain a free Great Musician upon completion of the construction. +1 Culture

(more rides will might follow)

(All Disneyland Rides/Areas Improve luxury and strategic Resources and every Ride/Area may only be built once)

NOTE: These improvements are meant to be OP (which is also why they can only be built once), since they should make up for only having one city.

EDIT: Made some edits, which are in blue
EDIT2: I just realized how much of a PITA this would be to balance :lol: The improvements do however bring a unique feeling, since they'll be different every time you play, requiring you to change your strategy!

You do realize that since settlers halt growth, replacing them with a unit that creates improvements is really counter intuitive...
Besides, 10 maintenance? What's the point? Your unit supply limit isn't gonna be high enough to sustain a (really) powerful military force, and having to pay extra maintenance for each puppet is a bit too much for an OCC civ...

Oh I completely forgot about settlers halting growth :cringe: (Don't judge me I'm a civ noob)

And I wasn't sure how to force the OCC in there, while still allowing the civ to go for a domination victory if necessary. That being said I was going to change some stuff :)

Anyhow, thanks for the advise ;)

Quraysh
Qusay ibn Kilab
:c5capital: Mecca

UA - Custodian of the Holy Site
Cannot annex nor build settler. Holy site have +2 :c5faith: faith and another +1 :c5faith: faith per adjancent holy site. Each also provide :c5tourism: tourism yield half of the HS faith output. Faith wonder provide +2 :tourism: Tourism

UU - Qafilah (Caravan)
Can be bought with faith. If assigned to trade with non co-religionist, it will generate :c5faith: faith lump each time it arrive in your city. If trading with co-religionist, grant lump of :tourism: tourism with trade partner instead

UB - Idol Shrine (Shrine)
Buildable up to 3 time. +1 :c5gold: Gold per 6 trade route in the city
Making Holy Site worth it

Wait! I've made a design

Beacon Hills (Scott McCall)
UA: MvP
May not build settlers nor occupy cities. Killing enemy :c5greatperson: great people grants you a :greatwork: great work of art, and killing enemy military units grants you a small sum of :tourism: influence with all other civilizations, increasing with each :c5culture: social policy you adopt. Gain a free :c5culture: social policy once you become influential with a civ for the first time.

UU: Werewolf
Replaces knight. If stations in friendly territory during peace, grants the nearest city :c5science: science and the yields of the tile its stationed on as if its a regular citizen. It may not be upgraded and does not obsolete, however, it kills a citizen when its produced, and you may only have one per each era you passed. Has the March promotion.

UNW: Pack Safehouse
Replacing the castle. Instaed of granting :c5gold: gold from city connections, the Pack safehouse grants any units trained in the city the Scouting and Survivalism I promotions, as well as +1 XP for every citizen in the city. It also gets an additional :greatwork: great work of art slot for every enemy GP you kill.

Also: 5000th post!!!!

(Oops)

I'll take SOGK's Quraysh

Sounds like Koya wins, got an idea for a challenge?

Top Bottom