Steph strikes again: Ancient units conversion collection

Steph

Multi Many Tasks man
Retired Moderator
Hello all!

I've been in a business trip to Ireland, alone in my hotel room with my laptop. Strangely, the laptop had PaintShop Pro, Flicster, and SBB installed (but what were there doing here ;) ?

I took the opportunity to convert a few ancient units from Legion and Chariots of War (from a free mod that I've downloaded).

As usual, please refrain from posting comment until I have finished posting all previews, so we have a nice units list.

I will first put the previews, then I'll upload the FLC. Please not the previews are gif created from the FLC, so this time the animation are actually done ! (big difference from Call to Power :().

Some notes :
- The units will come with no sound
- The units usually have 2 death animations, one or several attacks (including shot and fight for range units), run / walk and "stand" (default 1 frame animation). There is no fidget, victory, etc. The different attacks animation do not always follow perfectly as for Civ animation. As a result, I have made no ini : I provide all the animations in a zip, and then you select which one you want to use, and how : so you'll have to make the ini yourself.
- I hadn't Civilization on the Laptop, so I was not able to test the units in game. I'll do this now to check colors and centering, and correct that if needed. So the upload of the animation will be relatively slow, as I'll check the animation one by one.
- I have included civ colors when I could, but don't expect to find any in most of the units.
- I've done civilopedia icons for most of them, but they are far from perfect, if you don't like it make better ones!
- The size should be consistent with other civ units, except for the cavalry which are slightly bigger, and also chariots.

General remark : I've made the conversion mainly for SSS. At first, I didn't want to make them for CivIII (to long to do), but I thought it was not very fair... So I did them, but as a "side project". So please, if they don't suit you, don't complain to much.

For the name of units, It's just a suggestion, you can use them for something else if you prefer.

If you need ideas about how to use these units:

Link to Chariot or War unit lits

Link to Legion unit lits

Credits
Slitherine Software
Developper of the games Legion and Chariots of War
Their website
Thanks to Iain McNeil who gave us is blessing to use it.

Paradox entertainment
Publisher of the games, creator of the graphics for these units
Their website
Thanks to Fredrik Lindgren who gave us the authorization to use their graphics.

Sidenote : I had the privilege to beta test Europa Universalis I and II from Paradox. It has been a wonderful experience.
First, the game is, IMHO, the best strategy game ever (well, after SSS ;) ). It may not be fancy looking compared to other games, but the gameplay and historical level is incredibly deep. Beside, Paradox is a company that really listen to testers. I think no feature has been changed at least once after our feedback. Special thanks to Johan and Greven for this excellent game.

And of course, I must not forget :
- Feanor who started the conversion
- Kinboat who pointed me to PEdit. Without this tool, I would not have converted any animation...
- Steph for SBB, and the Legion conversion feature :D

Don't forget if you want to use these animations in a mod or scenario:
- No commercial use
- You must give the proper credits to Paradox Entertainment, creator of the graphics

Attachments

• AssyrianArcher.gif
    AssyrianArcher.gif
    39.7 KB · Views: 11,841
Top Bottom