The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

Rita Poon said:
Aww, crap. Could anyone else post just the pedia text from the Justo's version of the AoI scenario? I'll still be able to get the flags up tomorrow if someone could help me out.

I was posting the AoI Pedia.txt in response to this post... guess I should have been clearer ;p

I was wondering the same thing about the towns, actually. This scenario doesnt feel as complete as the AoI scenario.

SWEET! I love what he did with AoI, and this one has been fun so far (even if most of what I did has been to stare at the pretty units ;p)

I will try and stick with this development too; I intended to play a game as England, but apparently I accidentally clicked the Americans instead... grrrr... America was kinda fun, but is the B-52 supposed to have infinite bombard? I found the Russians barely capable of resistance (even on Demigod). Perhaps they could use a few immobile defenders in the first three rows or so? STRONG Immobile defenders, considering how many different countries are aligned against them?

Oh that reminds me! All the leaders had the same name in my game. The same thing happened in Loulong's Armada scenario, but I cant remember how he fixed it.

Great work! I dont want to know how much time you spend on it. Thank you.

My few suggestions/critic:
Wouldnt it be better to give Amsterdam to the Germans as Hamburg. Then you could give Munich to Warsaw pact as Budapest. Stuttgart could become Munich instead.
Dresden would be better named Prague.
Removing of Hannover could move Berlin more west (one tile above Hannover) making Berlin Warsaw, warsaw Minsk.
Stroudsburg (France) renamed to Strasbourg. It would be nice to name it Zürich (Neutral Alps).
Renaming Split to Belgrad. Renaming Belgrad to Bukarest and give it to Warsaw pact.
Remove Sarajevo and place Wien above it (Neutral Alps).
Remove Thessaloniki and place Sofia (Warsaw) above it.
Ever thought about splitting Warsaw Pact in Warsaw Pact and Soviet Union?
Why are India and the Arab League allied with the Warsaw Pact?
What about making South Africa?
Perhaps Copenhagen to Scandinavia?
Whats the Sense of Scapa?
Ever Thought of Uniting West Europe and Splitting Africa and South America?

While I cannot argue most of that, I can tell you why Scapa (which should be retitled Scapa Flow). Scapa Flow is a famous naval base, and offers the British navy an excellent port from which to intercept enemy (read German, Russian, even Scandinavian... although that was a pretty remote possibility well before Scapa Flow was established as a port) fleets attempting to invade via the North Sea (the primary direction for Napoleonic threats and onward).

Scapa Flow was in fact where the German navy was held prisoner after WWI, and where most of it was sunk by its own crews in a futile gesture of defiance.

So it is historically accurate as well as useful in game.

I question the lack of a certain rather important city called Hong Kong that was a bone of contention between China and the UK until the early 90s

AND the lack of a city in the Falkland Islands!

Without naval bases in those two positions, the UK is HAMSTRUNG! I wish there was a way to simply place a port, rather than having to deal with cities. Its not like EVERY naval facility was also a city... RANT!

Sorry!

Anyway, thats my half pi ;p

Can I suggest a change of stats for the UH-1 Huey? I have been using them in a personal version of the Vietnam War Scenario, and I find them to be absolutely perfect... and since the time period is the same... ANYWAY here they are:

UH-1 Huey

0.6.4 (5.0.2)
OR:8
Transports 1
Blitz
Immobile
TOFU
Radar

Air Missions: Recon (only air unit with it), Bombing, Rebase, Airlift, Unload
(there are some actual huey graphics floating around too!)

Some of the stats (like OR, A.D.M, B.R.ROF) will probably have to change to reflect a world map and the different stats of other units. However, the ones I put up there can act as a general guideline.

The fun thing about these stats when in game is that you get a totally different kind of air unit. This thing can do four different things per turn (except recon... which takes up all movement points)... so 2 drops 2 bombardments, no drops 4 bombardments, 3 drops and a recon... etc. It becomes an extremely versatile and valuable close air support unit which is what it should be.

If you give it a low bombardment, the ability to do it four times is not overwhelmingly powerful (ESPECIALLY if you deny it LLB and LSB).

It is just a nice unit all around, and really becomes a chopper... instead of just being a cruddy airplane with different graphics.

What do you think?

I must admit that I have been pushing this idea all over the place... but thats only because I would really like to see the helicopter become the useful workhorse that it is!

Great love the idea........but we almost have america bug free now we need to focus on the non-nato type civs.

Hey El I got a M113 ACAV Regiment done if you want to implement it use the link in my sig.

I know about the role of Scapa Flow in the history. But was it important in the cold war, or in the case of an ,,hot war". I dont think so. I also dont see why the english fleet could not just be deployed in scotland instead.

I am sure a major naval base situated on the primary routes of the Russian navy to its Baltic and Arctic ports was sufficiently useful...

This is a play test game I have going on a tweaked version I had while El Justo was gone. Basically, the mods I made were to fix bug issues (several mentioned in posts) and I sent this version to El Justo for him to look over and have also been taking notes as well. I also played Italy, China and UK as well and incorporated some info from those positions.

Basically, it is the summer of 1969. There were two earlier wars. The first war was like the third turn of the game and it was a short one. I managed to capture the Korean Capital during this war. This would have dire consequences later. The West Germans put the squeeze on Yugoslavia and the WP and Scandinavia exchanged cities with Murmansk going to Scandinavia and WP picking up Helsinki. SE Asia looses a couple of cities in Burma to the Chinese.

The second war was in 1965 and I was ready to move strong on Cuba and also take a North African port to get a base in Europe. I got two of Cuba's cities and took the North African port before peace broke out. Not much in the way of other changes except the West Germans finish off the Yugoslavs and the Spanish manage to take Riga of all places.

In the next years, I prepare to break out in North Korea and finish off Cuba. I ship just a ton of troops to North Korea and send some troops up to Alaska to take out the Russian naval bases in the Pacific. I finally launch the war in the summer of 1969 just after I get the M1 tanks. On the first turn, I take all of Manchuria and park a huge force outside of Beijing. Havana is secured and Cuba is now in my hands. I also take the next port up in Africa, but not without some casualties. The Chinese don't really have an answer for a pile of M1's, so dig in. The next turn, I take not only Beijing, but 3 more Chinese cities. I also take the Russian port nearest Alaska.

Below is a screen shot of the situation in China. I have just taken the 4 Chinese cities and spot a large force of WP tanks coming to the rescue. In addition to that, the Chinese have a pretty good size force just to the north of Beijing. By the end of the turn, those three stacks of enemy troops are done for (probably a total of 35 units or so). I will wind up resting most of my troops this next turn coming up. No other cities have changed hands yet and the WP defense is holding in Europe. There is a major naval battle off of Denmark with a huge force of WP submarines. Unfortunately for them I have some ships in the area and also have 2 aircraft carriers around as well and those subs are outside of air cover range (or the intercepters did not do their jobs) and after getting worked over by aircraft, my ships move in to finish the job. Unfortunately for me, I find another stack of subs, so my fleet pulls back, but the UK sends in their subs to have some fun as well. There are some lively skirishes in the Med between subs and ships on both sides.

One of the great things about this scenario is that you can get as involved as you want by the decision on which position you play. Want to be a big power broker, play the WP or US or even China can have a big impact. Positions like UK and Italy are also enjoyable and go really fast with the smaller number of pop centers and smaller military.

Attachments

• US1969.JPG
    US1969.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 2,421
jaewookim4 said:
The Forrestal class carrier is not assigned to be buildable by any civ. Bug or are you waiting to fix something in it and put it in later?
jaewookim4,
yes, this is one of the small errors we've found while working on the new version. it should be fixed w/ the revison, of which should be ready soon.

bjblue said:
El Justo....this is a great scenario!! so impressed. Regards what you said earlier about HN units not being able to attack cities. I thought this was the case but i was just playing a game as china when a HN walked into an undefended city of mine and captured it for the commies!! didnt even start a war. It was on turn two aswell!! It was the city just next to Hanoi so i can only guess that the HN unit was the KGB operative preplaced there. Dont know what you did to allow that...i just wrote it of to KGB propagandaand started world war three the next turn....once again great scenario!
bjblue,

thanks for the nice words. your HN experience is quite surprising. oh, how i'd wished that HN units could capture things :yeah:

i had a weird HN experiece like that as well (inv/HN unit attacking one of my cities) but i just don't have an answer for it; at least i couldn't attack a city w/ my HN units :confused:

Hey EL your back finally. :)

Just wondering on if we could add a sniper unit have it come out of a sniper academy and is created every 20 turns to give the realistic idea that only 1 out of 10 make it out of sniper school. Countries like Russia, Germany, England, Japan, and America can have it. Sorry if I keep asking this question but it seemed like a cool idea to me.

Another do you know how to get the computer to stop razing cities? Well I saw a thread a couple a days back on the main forum talking about it I followed it and it worked 9:10 cities were spared. I will see if I can get a link.

And another note add a government called the Democratic Republic to give america you know more flavor and more expensive to operate vehicles. ;)

EDIT: Since I am having trouble with my Civilization 3 (downloading v1.22) I played with my 3d editor and look what I got.

I think one of the reasons you see raized cities early is that many of them start with no culture. If a city does not have some culture and/or a pop of greater than 1, the city is considered destroyed. What might help is to assign a minimal amount of culture to each city to start (say 5) and this should help with the apparent raizing.

While the sniper unit might be interesting, somehow, I think it is a tough fit for a scenario that is world wide in scope. I think the spy units and such probably encompass the idea of snipers.

I have learned that if the culture is above 10 it greatly reduces the amount of razing. and combined with 2 or more citizens almost all of the cities are spared.

The spy doesn't have a high enough attack to kill a modern infantry and if there was I probably would be satisfied :lol: But if there was a sniper unit it could be a "scout" having an operation range of 2 and recon checked it can have "binoculars" sort of.

Rita Poon said:
Aww, crap. Could anyone else post just the pedia text from the Justo's version of the AoI scenario? I'll still be able to get the flags up tomorrow if someone could help me out.
Señor Poon,

nice to see you back in action fella.

thanks for the contribution (again).

Top Bottom