COTM11 Pre-game discussion

Karasu said:
Characteristics: (nominally) Pangaea, 60% ocean

And this was written for the pre-game GOTM40 Greece

Ainwood said:
Land Form: (nominally) Continents, 70% Ocean.

Mind that little word "(nominally)". It could very well mean that we're alone on a very small pangaea this time :sad:

Hm, I'll send the Worker N to the mountain in any case. If the land there is acceptable, I'll go NNW and play this as OCC. Just can bring myself to milk a Regent 60% game :blush:.

Edit: Ainwood, MGLs should be able to rush the Palace. Really. If that is not the case here (MGLs modded), that needs to be mentioned specifically IMHO.

Redbad said:
And this was written for the pre-game GOTM40 Greece

Mind that little word "(nominally)". It could very well mean that we're alone on a very small pangaea this time :sad:

Good point. I think Renata was kinder to us when she simply did not call her map pangaea.
But I guess moving north will not hurt even in this case. If it is a small island we will need to plan our city locations very accuratly to maximize their number and their production. The faster we'll know geography the better.
And that cow - it cannot be irrigated and there is no point in mining it. Yet going far from it will slow our growth for a few first turns.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Edit: Ainwood, MGLs should be able to rush the Palace. Really. If that is not the case here (MGLs modded), that needs to be mentioned specifically IMHO.
All I did was create a scenario with a leader and lots of cities. The leader can creat an army or hurry the forbidden palace; he can't rush wonders or improvements, and the Palace is considered and "improvement".

That's an Editor bug. A MGL is a 'spawned upon victory' unit. It is not possible to place a MGL on the map with the C3C editor. Any unit with the AI 'Leader' strategy you place on the map is a "non-Military, non-Scientific Leader". He can exclusively rush Wonders (Small or Great), and if the 'Create Army' flag is checked (like in the case when you preplace a MGL) he can create an Army. He cannot rush units/improvements (you're correct, the Palace is a 'special' improvement, not a wonder), nor trigger a SGA. The SGL is not accessable at all with the editor, btw.
That bug is the reason for quite a number of (wrong) myths about MGLs in C3C.
But really, I moved the Palace with a MGL in C3C countless times, and everyone on the SG forum will tell you the very same :).

To test what a MGL could do, you need to place a stack of elite units (Cossacks, MAs) next to a stack of AI Conscript Warriors and attack until you get one.

Redbad said:
Mind that little word "(nominally)".

Yep. I saw it the second I opened up this thread. Yet another an isolated start. This seems to be a recurrent theme in recent XoTMs. My current thinking is WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). IOW, this is our entire starting island (more or less). I hope that we are not too far from the Pangea but I doubt that my hopes will be realized. (I remain optimistic)

I'm thinking Palace Jump -- and I have never done that before in 3C3. As for the opening move, I'm going to do the obvious. Settler s/e and found. Research: writing 100%. I have not decided what comes next. If I have misjudged the starting position, pottery might be a choice. More likely it will be either be a Republic slingshot or a "Mapmaking slingshot".

Note that pottery is a prerequisite for the latter.

In any case, my first build is a curragh. Probably the second too.

Since I hate to claim something without proving it (failed often enough :rolleyes: ), some pics:

Small scenario; preplaced a stack of Elite MAs vs. a stack of Warriors, and a "Leader". And the HE. Completely unmodded rules, I swear.

After some rounds (and after disbanding the preplaced leader, of course):

And:

:D

(Of course, you don't have to believe me that this is not a copy/paste job, so: Here is the save.)

I think the choice is simple: SE to get the cow immediately, and send out an early curragh or two. If its a small island, you'll know almost immediately with boats, and if its on the main landmass, you'll inevitably meet people more quickly than your (or their) slow warriors. Pottery-> Writing, trade for the other first tier techs. No fresh water should not be a problem for awhile unless you are 20King in your capital.

To ainwood.
The Palace is ordinary building not small or great wonder. So MGL can rush it. And IIRC Aeson did it in COTM08.

superslug said:
I could be wrong on this one, but I think C3C gave the H'wacha fatal bombard so that it could trigger GA.

This is correct. I did both (lethal bombard + GA) in my last game playing Korea. If you're like me and tend to work your way through the bottom part of the MA tech tree first, this makes for a nice early-mid Middle Ages Golden Age.

My first COTM game.
I usually play on monarch level, so I am quite confident that I won`t totally embarass myself.
Anyway, with Korea on an Island I probably will do just a builders game. I am too lazy for large transcontinental conquests.

Redbad said:
Mind that little word "(nominally)".

I wondered about that, but then one has to humbly follow the Boss' path...
so I could only stick to the Staff Guidelines™, that prescribe the use of the word 'nominally' (Article 4, clause 19.1). As simple as that :D

Actually, 'Nominally' simply means that the map setting is "pangaea". Of course, not all pangaeas are equal, but this does not necessarily mean that you get an isolated start...

ainwood said:
And use of such terms as "nominally" is great for sowing seeds of paranoia. :)

Yessssssss :D
And subtly more so, I think, when you put it in brackets.

'Abnormal' sounds nice too. I was also considering 'probably' for the future... :ack:

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein:Would you mind telling me, who's brain I did put in?
Igor: And, you won't be angry?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: I will not be angry.
Igor: Abby-someone.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Abby-someone. Abby who?
Igor: Abby-normal.
Sorry for the spam but I couldn't resist :D

ainwood said:
And use of such terms as "nominally" is great for sowing seeds of paranoia. :)

It does work :blush:

OTOH, the only other possibility is that we are on peninsula/isthmus, in which case I like my idea of palace-jumping and skipping pottery research even more. Imagine slipping a settler passed the evil Egyptians and founding a new capital in the Land of Milk and Honey. Yum! :D

Top Bottom