Civ4 PakBuild

Question: If I use this utility to unpack the artfile, will it improve the speed of the game?

OwieB2003 said:
Question: If I use this utility to unpack the artfile, will it improve the speed of the game?
I was wondering about this too. This is true for some other games.

Using this program made the game unrunnable for me, even after reinstalling. So caveat utator.

I can't figure out how to use it!!!

this tool made my game run better. the files most commonly used get cached better and more often. caching that whole file is a rediculuous proposition.

also for systems with less than a gig of ram use "Cacheman" do a google search

Same here. I launch Pakbuild, File > Open > Art0.fpk and it gives me this error : ERROR: Could not open 'D:\blabla\Art0.FPK'!

Am I doing sth wrong ? File is unused and isn't read only.

Edit: I found why it didn't work. You don't have to open it, but to extract it.

I think it will still use the pak files if it finds them in that folder. I just created a temp folder a couple of levels up and moved them there.

Flak said:
I think it will still use the pak files if it finds them in that folder. I just created a temp folder a couple of levels up and moved them there.

And did you notice any improvement? I did the same, and things seems to be running okay, but not noticeably faster. Movies still slideshows... I'm going to try the new Harkonnen patch and monitor the fps.

umm i am very worried. I cant find a file called art0.pak all i have is:
asset0.pak asset1.pak asset2.pak asset3.pak
Note i have the european version of the game

EDIT: i unpacked those and it seems to work

Lord Olleus said:
umm i am very worried. I cant find a file called art0.pak all i have is:
asset0.pak asset1.pak asset2.pak asset3.pak
Note i have the european version of the game

EDIT: i unpacked those and it seems to work

I have the same 4 files since 1.52 patch
and I am unable to unpack the files....I receive an error massage

is it normal?

Sure, I know this, dds are the skins, biks are the movies. There are links to were you can get programs to veiw them here on this site.

One tip: You don't have to open the FPK files, just unpack them. Open the "PAK" menu -> Unpack (CTRL-U). Then select your FPK files. If you try to open them you get an error message. Is see more people had this problem, perhaps something to put in the opening post.

I can't extract the PackBuild : here are the error messages I get :
"the CRC failed in PackBuild.exe. The file is corrupted"
And when I try to launch PackBuild, I get :
"PackBuild is not a valid win32 application"

Can anyone tell me how to do to get PackBuild to work?

Top Bottom