Vingrjoe's Revised Ships Thread

vingrjoe

Landlocked Shipwright
I have started a process of overhauling my current ship units out there, and making new, cleaner animations. The only change is the new process. This new process is a lengthy one, consisting of rendering up to 8 different layers for one animation. The result gives me a cleaner and crisper unit. I believe I have eliminated almost all of the anomaly pixels I have complained about in other threads regarding my units. The problem I had, you may or may not have noticed, were pixels blinking around the edge of my ships. This is due to two contributing factors: Antialiasing the unit against the background and a limited color palette to deal with the amount of new colors produced from antialiasing against the background. I will be releasing my revised ships individually or possibly in blocks (eg 2-3 at a time). I will put up links to the sound, ini, and pedicons from the old threads. I will add my new ship versions to this thread. Any *Brand New* units will have their own threads as usual. I want to thank Wyrmshadow and Vuldacon for their help regarding palette tips and processes.

Update 11-18-2007:

I have changed the format of this thread so all my newly edited units can be found in this first post, instead of having to dig through this thread for any unit. I have Wyrmshadow to thank in part. His aircraft threads are well thought out, with the files in the first few posts. That prompted me to revamp this thread to make my edited units more easily accessed.

I am also including links to my newer ships as well.

Row 01
Iowa Class Battleship WWII v1.6 (04-29-2008)
Iowa Class Battleship Korean War v1.2 (02-22-2011)
Iowa Class Battleship Modern v1.8 (01-06-2011)
Iowa Class Battleship Mothballed v1.1 (09-09-06)
South Dakota Class Battleship v1.1 (11-04-07)
North Carolina Class Battleship v1.0 (10-9-04)*

Row 02
Des Moines Class Cruiser v1.0 (11-21-07)
Virginia Class CGN v1.1 (12-09-05)*
Ticonderoga Class Missile Cruiser v1.3 (02-03-06)*
Albany Class CG v1.0 (03-06-2011)*

Row 03
Kirov Class Battlecruiser v1.1 (11-11-05)*
Moskva Class Helo Carrier v1.0 (09-20-06)*
Kynda Class Missile Cruiser v1.1 (02-19-06)*
Kynda Class Missile Cruiser v1.1 (02-28-06) Vuldacon's Edit*
Kresta I Class Missile Cruiser v1.0 (06-20-06)*
Kara Class Missile Cruiser v1.0 (10-28-06)*
Sverdlov Light Cruiser v1.2 (11-22-05)*

Row 04
Charles F. Adams Guided Missile Destroyer v1.1 (11-26-05)*
Spruance Class Destroyer v1.0 (07-24-06)*
Knox Class Frigate v1.0 (10-16-06)*
Udaloy Class Guided Missile Destroyer v1.1 (11-14-05)*
Udaloy Class Guided Missile Destroyer v1.1 (02-28-06) Vuldacon's Edit*
Slava Class Missile Crusier v1.1 (02-13-06)*
Sovietsky Soyuz Battleship v1.0 (11-17-04)*

Row 05
DeGrasse Class AA/Light Cruiser v1.0 (03-25-08)

Row 06
Yamato Class Battlship v1.0 (06-29-04)*
Yamato Class Battleship Modernized v1.0 (07-23-04)*

*denotes units that have yet to go through my newest editing procedure.

Modern Iowa Class Battleship

Version 1.8 (01-06-2011)

Link to files in post one of this thread.

01-06-2011 Went over the unit once more to eliminate all stray pixels around the edges and more noticeable blinking pixels.

05-22-07 Kept file as version 1.7. Went over the unit once more to eliminate all stray pixels around the edges, especially in the attack animations.

09-08-06 New version 1.7 out. The changes are not major, and most may not notice them. However, I could not rest until I finally did this last version. I reduced the amount of Civ color on the ship, lightened and washed out the deck color, and darkened the overall look of the ship. I fine tuned the muzzleblasts, and I changed the death animation. I also adjusted the sound effects for the animations accordingly. This should be my last revision for this ship, since there is no more I can do to improve it.

Iowa Class Battleship WWII

Version 1.6 (11-01-07)

05-25-07 Kept file as version 1.6. Went over the unit once more to eliminate all stray pixels around the edges, especially in the attack animations.

This should be the final version of this unit. Like the Modern Iowa BB, there is no more I can do to improve it from this point. The attack, run, default and death are pretty much identical to the Modern Iowa BB and the Korean War Era Iowa BB animations. I figure same ship, just different eras. Keeping the animations similar also helps expediate animation and rendering times.

Kirov Class Battlescruiser

Version 1.1 (11-11-05)

Attachments

• Kirov.gif
    Kirov.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 2,833
Sverdlov Class Light Gun Cruiser

Version 1.2 (11-22-05)

Attachments

• Sverdlov.gif
    Sverdlov.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 2,343
Iowa Class Battleship Mothballed

Version 1.1 (09-09-06)

I made this specifically for El Justo's TCW scenario. This only has a default and death animation. It is an immobile unit in the scenario. It also uses sounds from the game files.

They ALL look very nice. Thank you. I must admitt I'm still puzzled on what to do with a mothballed ship... Build the mothballed unit, upgrade to the otherwise unbuildable modernized version? (since new modern battleships don't exist)

I pretty much posted the mothballed Iowa for El Justo's sake, for his TCW scenario. Although, I guess I could have emailed it to him, to avoid confusion on the part of uninformed people. :)

The whole reason for the mothballed Iowa was what El Justo stated a few posts up, and for game balance, I believe. Also, the Iowas in TCW are unbuildable, so they are preplaced. Having four USN Iowa BBs roaming around at the start of the game wouldn't be good for the Soviet navy or any other enemy navy, and as El Justo said, it's a good way to simulate the BBs in the reserve fleet until they are modernized.

Anyway, It'll probably be a few weeks before I update this thread with some more revised ships.

Sweet job! As I already have the old ones in my game, I'm happy about the updates. Thank you.

These are excellent, the effects are very well done. I just love these massive ships, I need to get to a future version some day.:D

:goodjob:

Absolutely superb job VJ! I have an unusual request if you would be willing to supply I would greatly appreciate it. I'm planning to make some Naval Shipyard wonders (Kure Naval Yard, Bethlehem Naval Yard, Blomm Voss Naval Yard) and I was wondering if you could provide me with either a transparant png or pink background bmp render of the Iowa and Yammato that isnt cut at the waterline ie the full hull showing so I could use them to reperesent the ships during construction in drydock.

Udaloy Class ASW DDG

Version 1.1 (11-14-05):

Attachments

• Udaloy DDG.gif
    Udaloy DDG.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,446
Top Bottom