Alerum's Unaltered Game Play

Glad you enjoy it Sealboy.

If you wish to have it start up all the time, then just copy the 'CustomAssets' Folder into your MyDocuments/MyGames/Civilzation 4/ directory. Make sure to overwrite all the files or it won't work. You don't need to touch the 'Assets' folder in your main Civ4 directory, and I would actually recommend against doing it.

Hullo.
Alerum, you rock. I was just starting to look at mods for cIV yesterday and I almost wanted to do something like this myself (only almost because I need to study and shouldn't be playing around too much right now =X). Good thing I don't have to know. To tell you the truth I'm not too psyched about the roads mod and the 5-people formation thingy but the rest is just too good to pass on. I'll install it shortly, once I figure out if I've worked around my mod loading problem (see sig) or not.
Anyhow, thanks for the mod. :D

EDIT: Sure enough, directly editing the .ini works like a charm. I'm removing the link from my sig. I should finally be playing the damned tutorial along with this mod in a bit. Just gotta get some homework done. :)

Hey Blas,
Long time no see.;) Glad you are enjoying the MOD. I'm probably going to remove the roads in the next version, but I love the 5-man formations. I get some HUGE looking armies with it.;) Anyway, if you're ready to play an SG, let me know.;)

I'm pretty sure that I've found two problems in v1.05

CIV4GameTextInfos_GreatPeople.xml is in 4\CustomAssets\xml\units but should be in xml\text according to the original zip file for this mod.

CvIntroMovieScreen.py is in CustomAssets\python but should be in python\screens

Thanks Rob0. I've fix it, as well as add that little snippet of code you modified for the Game Clock. Will be reflected in the next version, which I should have out by sunday or so.

Thanks for the info!

PS - Are you interested in helping with a merge of another MOD I'm having trouble with?

Not quite ready far an SG yet... I hardly have any time to play right now and besides, I still need to get to know the game better.
Anyhoo, is it possible to change the hotkey for the reminder thingy? It currently uses alt+r which is supposed to be "route to" for workers. I use that command a lot, kind of a bummer to need to click the icon instead of just using the keyboard like I'm used to doing...

alerum68 said:
PS - Are you interested in helping with a merge of another MOD I'm having trouble with?
Hmm, I might. Drop me an email and tell me what it is (check my profile). I'm right now in the process of setting up my own mod with my own preferences. There are some of yours that I'm not too happy with, and there are some others that do affect gameplay which I'd like to use. There's no reason I can't do both and learn something in the process.

Btw, I have a change that centers the end of turn text on the screen. It's a variant of a mod - look here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=4225256#post4225256

And check this variant of Snaitf's attitude mod

Blas, the person who created the Reminded MOD was supposed to change it, but I don't remember if they did. Tommorow is my day off, and I'll take a look to see if he did update the bit of code, and if so I'll add it.

Rob, The variant of Snaitf is something I've been trying to work out with using smiles instead of words but so far no luck. I'll probably add the modification you made, just because I hate how long it makes the mini-score chart. I don't know why I'd want to center the End of Turn button though. I'll email you the other MOD as well as what I have of v1.06, and let you have a go at it.;) As for those preferences which you feel can be improved... care to share?;)

Yes send me 1.06 and I'll check it out.
I like to center the end of turn text simply because I tend to overlook it when it's at the bottom of the screen. I'd like to change the text as well, but I can't find it - I probably need the SDK for that.

I haven't come that far with my changes yet. I'm using a lot of the stuff you've dug up. I left out the autolog (don't need it now) and the reminder (I'll probably add it when the keyboard shortcut is changed). And I want to keep the small light roads - they are visible, yet unobtrusive.

I also use 12Monkeys domestic advisor, though I haven't quite decided on the best choice there.

And I've used MerakSpielmans new commerce icon, but it seems that something else has changed the icon for gold - I need to investigate this further. In any case, I'm not too happy with the choice of a gold coin for commerce, but I'm not toohappy with MerakSpielmans choice either. And I don't seem to be able to edit those dds files - what's the proper tool for that?

I like the SettlerReligion mod by Bhruic, though like so much else I couldn't resist changing it. I think religion should spread with settlers.

That's it for now. I've seen a culture mod that seems to think differently (e.g. using trade routes to spread culture) - I want to check that out. When I get time. I don't want to add too much, at least not at the same time - my purpose of this is to set the game up with my own preferences, and most of them will not change gameplay (like the focus of your mod).

RobO said:
Yes send me 1.06 and I'll check it out.

And I've used MerakSpielmans new commerce icon, but it seems that something else has changed the icon for gold - I need to investigate this further. In any case, I'm not too happy with the choice of a gold coin for commerce, but I'm not toohappy with MerakSpielmans choice either. And I don't seem to be able to edit those dds files - what's the proper tool for that?

I think that they fixed the gold/commerce icon in 1.52 patch. That's probably what's changing it. To modify .DDS you can use GIMP with a .DDS plug-in. There's a link on the forums, but I don't have time to look it up now.

As for the other changes, I like them too, but they alter gameplay too much for me to put it on here. I've actually added some other things to my own personal assets, that aren't here. One is the TerraForm MOD. I think the worker actions are way to limited. There is a whole list of thigns I want to change, but don't have the skill to do.:p

:bump: v1.06 is posted. I fixed the Autolog/Reminder problem by changing the Hot Keys to Shift+E and Shift+R.

Rob0, if you're interested what I'm trying to merge is my mod with This MOD. The problem seems to be with the EventMangers, and I can't for the life of me get them to mesh. Of course, this isn't the first time.;)

I got it now. I had some problems first, but they went away when I changed the file path for the autolog and removed xml\text\CIV4GameTextInfos_GreatPeople.xml

I decided that renaming CvCustomEventManager to CvGreatPersonEventManager was bad practice, so I moved the relevant stuff from CvGreatPersonEventManager.py to CvCustomEventManager.py
I then found that CvEventInterface.py no longer needs to be changed so that all I had to do was copy CvGreatPersonScreen.py into python\screens and all the art into art\GreatPeople.

It didn't wotk at first, so I thought I had it wrong, but the two corrections above helped. You might want to warn your users about that in the first post.
I tested it by starting a game, founding the city, going into world builder to give it some wonders to lessen the waiting time, going back to the game, and just waiting for a great person to appear.

I've enclosed my CvCustomEventManager.py (as a zip - CFC doen't recognize .py files) - it's based on the one from your v1.06 so should plug right in. As I said, this file along with the art and screens\CvGreatPersonScreen.py should do the trick.

Attachments

• CvCustomEventManager.zip
    722 bytes · Views: 131
Not tried the mod (too many things to keep track of, and the autolog has actually started to get on my nerves now) but I have a comment to make for those who were asking about making this their default mod. Rather than putting it in CustomAssets and having to rename that folder and clear the cache to load the game without the mod, install it in the MODS folder and edit the default mod in the Civilization4.ini file, then you only have to rem out that line in order to load the game without the mod - useful for ladder games and RB games, for instance.

RobO said:
Hmm, I added it to my own mod and didn't get the popup. Pls check it yourself.
Found the problem. I "simply" forgot to copy these lines
Code:
# Make me a copy of the great person screen creation utility:
self.greatPersonScreen = CvGreatPersonScreen.CvGreatPersonScreen()
into __init__(self): of CvCustomEventManager.

God, this code is complex. I get the feeling that there has to be a simpler, more direct way of implementing this, but I could be wrong. I clearly do not know enough Python (yet).

So, it should work for you, Alerum. But check it anyway ;)

BeefontheBone, if you don't like autolog then simple delete autolog.py. Yes, there are several work arounds to making a MOD your default MOD, but I think you can only load one mod at a time. With the way I suggested you're able to use most of the features of my MOD, (Only the 5-man formation doesn't load for some reason), as well as another MOD of your choice. So you haven't tried the MOD yet, but you're already sick of the autolog feature??

Rob0, I bet that last little line was the problem. I didn't have that, but I did the the other changes... The best I would get is a blank main interface, but usually got a python init error. I was testing it the same way too. I'll go ahead and take a look at it today and try and get it plugged in. Yeah the Python code is complex... I'd rather use the XML code but it's limited compared to python. I see you already directed Pat over to these thread so he can make the changes to his MOD... Thanks much... looks like your name is going to be all over this MOD more then anyone else.:p

When I install this I can delete the GreatPerson Event Manger correct? And will I have to remove the GreatPeople MOD? (The one that adds the type to the end of the name)

alerum68 said:
I see you already directed Pat over to these thread so he can make the changes to his MOD... Thanks much... looks like your name is going to be all over this MOD more then anyone else.:p
I'm just being obnoxious, that's all. Attention to detail. :p
When I install this I can delete the GreatPerson Event Manger correct? And will I have to remove the GreatPeople MOD? (The one that adds the type to the end of the name)
Yes, and yes. I got double titles with the latter (e.g. Homer (Artist) (Great Artist) and I also got blank Great person popups. Perhaps the name got too long. You can try it and see what happens.

I have started to read up a bit on Python and found a way to eliminate those to lines the great person mod adds to __init__(self) for CvCustomEventManager.

If you change
Code:
self.greatPersonScreen.interfaceScreen(pUnit, pCity)
at the end of onGreatPersonBorn to
Code:
CvGreatPersonScreen.CvGreatPersonScreen().interfaceScreen(pUnit, pCity)
and delete the two lines mentioned above, then it should work.

Hi.

I'd prefer to see you bring back the whole "furious/cautious" words instead of "fur/cau". The additional length was actually better for me. Either that or an icon.

The 1.06 mod version makes eveythign quite a lot slower. Don't know why, exactly. I also get the autolog popup still.

This really is a fabulous mod. I love how it doesn't change the gameplay, but adds in all those things that make playing easier. Thanks!!

I didn't take out the autolog feature, and have no plans to remove it in the future. If you'd like to remove it then simply delete autolog.py from the python directory.:)

As for the Icon, it's in the works!:)

As for the speed issue, I don't see why it would do that. I haven't experienced any slowly down.

Glad you enjoy the pack.:)

Top Bottom