Design: Resources

Chalid said:
Just wanted to point once more at the mana under a city, but have a second point to make, too.

With a lots of manas our city screens get quite unnice. You have to scroll, but cannot as other resource icons are overlayed and so. We should create some sort of resource stacker for manas that makes either two or three colums for mana. or places them somewhere else. Any ideas where to place them best?

My inclination is to wipe the mana if a city is built on it.

I don't know about the city screen, Ill check it out. I was looking at the exotic foreign advisor and special domestic advisor modpacks and they have very nice screens for resources and such. But those are overall screens, not city screens.

Kael said:
My inclination is to wipe the mana if a city is built on it.

Any chance of scripting it so that after Knowledge of the Ether is researched the game checks to see if cities are built on mana nodes and then moves them 1 tile away? Might not be likely since everyone researches at different times though.

woodelf said:
Any chance of scripting it so that after Knowledge of the Ether is researched the game checks to see if cities are built on mana nodes and then moves them 1 tile away? Might not be likely since everyone researches at different times though.

What if they built on the node after knowledge of the ether was researched?

How about doing the same check you do for ancient forests but only in the first round of the game. loop over all land plot, count mithil, reagents, incence, dschungle features, deserts, tundra. then calculate the number of additional resurces that need to be placed (maybe dependend on total plots and number of players) and calculate a chance per dschungle to pop a reagent, per desert to pop an incense and per tundra to pop an mithirl.

Then do a second loop over all landplots (maybe even in the second turn) and randomly distribute the resources over the called terrains. if no desert, dschungle or tundra exists you might define alternative terrains to place them.
if you hide incense and reagents at the beginning of the tech tree the players would not even notice it. And you could do it between turn 2 and 3 and between turn 3 and 4 (as the first turn needs a lot time anyway)

How about using gems for archmages and reagents for summoners to further split it up? And giving some mystical resach bonus if you remove a (hidden) mana beneath a city...

Chalid said:
How about doing the same check you do for ancient forests but only in the first round of the game. loop over all land plot, count mithil, reagents, incence, dschungle features, deserts, tundra. then calculate the number of additional resurces that need to be placed (maybe dependend on total plots and number of players) and calculate a chance per dschungle to pop a reagent, per desert to pop an incense and per tundra to pop an mithirl.

Then do a second loop over all landplots (maybe even in the second turn) and randomly distribute the resources over the called terrains. if no desert, dschungle or tundra exists you might define alternative terrains to place them.
if you hide incense and reagents at the beginning of the tech tree the players would not even notice it. And you could do it between turn 2 and 3 and between turn 3 and 4 (as the first turn needs a lot time anyway)

How about using gems for archmages and reagents for summoners to further split it up? And giving some mystical resach bonus if you remove a (hidden) mana beneath a city...

Right now reagents are only used by archmages and summoners (and veil priests which dont really count), I hate to cut a bonus back to only being used by 1 unit.

I think you are right about having the mod spawn the missing resources. I'll add it to the to do list.

Or you could just lose the node - forcing people not to build on that spot once you get the tech could get annoying.

Reading the Elohim description gave me an idea--what it you had really powerful resources representing these sacred places that would be unique--only one of each on each map, and only a few total, maybe randomly chosen from a pool. Like the "pool of tears" Might exist in one forrest on the map, and give +2 food, +4 production and +4 commerce or something, and there would be 3 such sacred sites on the whole standard size map.

it seems like people have been complaining at the power that vampires have. to counteract this, the obvious solution is to make 'garlic' a resource. it would provide commerce and happiness bonus as well as upgrade your units to ward of the forces of darkenss. or if you happen to be the forces of darkness, you simply get the bonuses and keep others from it.

Nikis-Knight said:
Reading the Elohim description gave me an idea--what it you had really powerful resources representing these sacred places that would be unique--only one of each on each map, and only a few total, maybe randomly chosen from a pool. Like the "pool of tears" Might exist in one forrest on the map, and give +2 food, +4 production and +4 commerce or something, and there would be 3 such sacred sites on the whole standard size map.

We havent gotten to that point yet but I agree with you. I would love to have a list of 10-12 unique features, of which a random number (depending on map size) are spawned on each map.

jimi12 said:
it seems like people have been complaining at the power that vampires have. to counteract this, the obvious solution is to make 'garlic' a resource. it would provide commerce and happiness bonus as well as upgrade your units to ward of the forces of darkenss. or if you happen to be the forces of darkness, you simply get the bonuses and keep others from it.

I never really liked the "classic horror" version of vampires that hated garlic, couldnt be seen in mirrors, had to be killed with a wooden stake through the heart, were afriad of crosses, etc. I always assumed the legends were designed by fantasy garlic, mirror, stake and cross salesmen. :)

Seriously, these myths come from a variety of sources and have been lumped together to form the current vampire popular image. When designing a vampire for a game/book/movie you have to descide which of these legends you want to use and which you dont. In FfH vampires are living creatures, sustained by blood and by draining the life from their victims to sustain their own potentially forever.

One piece I did keep (other than the drinking blood part) was the vampires hatred for sunlight. It doesnt kill them as it does in RPG's but vampires in Erebus were uncomfortable in sunlight. This is because of Lugus hatred for vampires, particuarly Alexis who became the first vampire by killing a priest of Lugus. The story is covered in Alexis's pedia entry.

New Resource: Runestone

Towards the late game, it can be a bit frustrating that your newly trained Adepts will be pretty mcuh useless, as it will take forever to get them to decent levels and get them upgrades. Runestones is an attempt to alleviate this a bit.

Runestones are revealed with Arcane Lore. They do not provide any special bonuses, nor do they count as a resource you can "link up" to. Their only effect is that a caster unit can enter their tile, and choose to "decipher runes", gaining them a sizeable xp-boost(10-20), and destroying the stone. Deciphering takes a few turns.
Runestones should be fairly rare, but might occasionally spawn later in the game.

Nice idea Corlindale.

I'd like to add in Mushrooms per our discussion in another thread about Subterranean civs.

Bright day
About mana nodes under cities- how about giving every civ a "preference" for certain magic so that build over nodes give you "prefered" mana?

Kael said:
I never really liked the "classic horror" version of vampires that hated garlic, couldnt be seen in mirrors, had to be killed with a wooden stake through the heart, were afriad of crosses, etc. I always assumed the legends were designed by fantasy garlic, mirror, stake and cross salesmen. :)

Seriously, these myths come from a variety of sources and have been lumped together to form the current vampire popular image. When designing a vampire for a game/book/movie you have to descide which of these legends you want to use and which you dont. In FfH vampires are living creatures, sustained by blood and by draining the life from their victims to sustain their own potentially forever.

One piece I did keep (other than the drinking blood part) was the vampires hatred for sunlight. It doesnt kill them as it does in RPG's but vampires in Erebus were uncomfortable in sunlight. This is because of Lugus hatred for vampires, particuarly Alexis who became the first vampire by killing a priest of Lugus. The story is covered in Alexis's pedia entry.

I agree that it does seem silly. Speaking of silly vs. legends, I notice that you don't have any silver in FfH. Is that intentional? You have copper, iron, gold, etc. but no silver. Maybe it hurts werewolves, maybe it doesn't, but it does seem like a normal "luxury" resource that you've left out. Is there none in the FfH world?:confused:

Maybe we simply rename gold to "precious metal" :D or something and give a different resource to the dwarfen mine :)

Kael do you hear me.. rename gold.. that will make those unbelievers criing for silver silent....

Top Bottom