Quarterfinals: Germany - Argentina

Inter4

Forza Inter!
Friday June 30 17:00 @ Berlin

Who will win? Will Argentina manage to beat the hosts? Or will GErmany prove that they are for real?

I think Argentina will go through..

That's what I'm thinking, too. Argentina clearly favourites...

It's going to be a controversial game, with the referee favoring the host.

Whoever wins this match will emerge as the big favourite, that's for sure...

Now on the analysis. Argentina has a stronger team, that's for sure. The Germans simply don't have the skill of the top argentinian players. However the german team is clearly performing better than "it is supposed to". They are very motivated and have the always big home advantage. And I agree with Gr3yL3gion and think there is a real chance that the referee will favour the host.

In other words, it's impossible to make a good prediction.

with refereeing at this level being so bad, I also can't help but suspect that. Yesterday, the double yellow for the Swedish player was very harsh. Those things can make a big difference in a tight game.
So, it's tough to predict. I had a 3:1 for Argentina in my original prediction and I will stand for that if refereeing is ok.

Argentina has a very good offense just like Germany. This promises to be a great game. Klose could score/assist some with Heinze's help ;) I have to say, what happened to Klose? He has come so far since '02. Since I can't follow German soccer closely here, he has really improved a lot

Argentinia played not that well yesterday. Their offensive play was very predictable. Play to the side, run a little, play to the side, run a little. And when they avanced enough, there comes a steep pass into the box and a shot... Nearly nothing comes about the flank, always straight into the box.
The final goal was an exception -what a dream! And a problem for Germany:
-The individual skill of most of the argentinian players is above the skill of the most german players. A tight game is often decided by one lucky strike.
-But the biggest problem is Argentinias perfect control about the game-speed. They know the position and the running-routes of all their teammates. They have trained to play the ball into those routes blindly. If they wish, they can accelerate the game to an incredible amount of speed. Mexico showed us how to destroy such a game. A. Cut those routes by good positioning B. Or act, instead of react: attack the player who will receive the ball with 3 Players even before the passing is finished.
On that way Mexico enforce 1on1´s at the box, with a sweeper in the back. Always when Argentinia wanted to break through, that sweeper was there to clear the situation.

The german team had two big problems:
A. The right defense. Friedrich has improved much, since Ballack plays a rather defensive midfielder in the national team. This new role improved the whole back-team, but our right side is still our weakest. Fortunatly Argentinia don´t play with crosses from the side, so Friedrich will not have big problems.
B. Our attacking-style make it possible for opponents to counter. If Argentinia will be able to launch some of their incredible fast counters, this will become a desaster.
We are absolutly superior in heading. Our central defenders are tall and work well together during standards. Klose and Ballack have not scored with a header for a while, but both have the skill. Cornerkicks are maybe our matchwinner.
Klose and Podolski are two very dangerous striker. But the central defense of Argentinia is not as lame as Swedens. Crossings by Schweini, Lahm and Schneider from the flanks are the most promising attacks against Argentinia, imo.

I think we will win that. 2-1

A tough game for both. It is like a final. The one, who will win is the top favourite. However I think Germany will win with a single goal difference. Might be 3:2 or even 4:3 ending. But if the Germans strike against the Argentinians as fast as they did the last two times, a shocked Argentina might loose even higher.
In the end I expect a game worth to be recorded.

Adler

A glorious german victory! 2:1

I watched both games last night (I'm in China) and here's my thoughts:

Germany: As quickly and as often Germany shot on goal, almost as quickly was Sweden's attack that at times ran right through the German defense in an attempt to score. This type of "score or die offense" will provide trouble against teams with equal offensive capibility.

Argentina: I've often heard (and noted) Argentina's superior talent and skill, however, I did not witness it last night. With the exception of the phenominal second goal, it witnessed Argentina get flustered and frustrated easily against a determined opponent. They should expect every game to be like that if they don't execute and focus.

Prediction: Argentina 3 Germany 2 in extra time.

I would't say that Argentina played badly yesterday, it was more of a suberp mexican day. As I already pointed out Mexico usually does well against Argentina, and yesterday they did particularly well and could have won. Not saying that Argentina didn't deserve to win, because ultimately they played better and have an awesome team.

luiz said:
I would't say that Argentina played badly yesterday, it was more of a suberp mexican day. As I already pointed out Mexico usually does well against Argentina, and yesterday they did particularly well and could have won. Not saying that Argentina didn't deserve to win, because ultimately they played better and have an awesome team.
I pretty much agree, I thought Mexico was very strong. This made the game very interesting, this can't be said of Sweden.
Thus, I fail to see why the Germans on their webpages see them as champions already. It's typical of them, either totally bad or too rosy...

Top Bottom