LINESII- Into the Darkness

alex994 said:
I wonder what the Lengels did... :confused:

Ripped a hole in the fabric of Space-Time, going back in time where they killed the very first man, therefore wiping civilization off the world. But if they wiped man off the world, then how were they able to travel back in time in the first place. Therefore a time paradox was created and the whole universe tore apart, destroying everything.

or

they could have just invaded someone.

Not exactly someone. ;)

Many, many someones. But still, the masses include the individual. :)

@Darkening-Sadly, what you said makes me more intrested in playing Norvalin, not less, since now I know I'll be near a PC that wants to get rid of me.

Did I forget the smiley or something? I was kidding around. I have no plans for you as of now ;].

Sorry, I did Norvalin first. I usually do the Valin successor states first because I tend to work from the outside then finish with whatever massive war is raging in the center.

Ach, you really need to stop posting, Iggy. You get my hopes up every time! ;)

@Darkining-Yes, you did forget the smiley. :) But, whatever.

And story to come very, very soon.

You saved you skin with you by-the-way-ish apology there, Iggy! I will not be so merciful next time! Then I will bring out the big gun... Heck, I'll do it right away!

UPDATE NAO!

MEh Black Adder is on, your life is spared Iggy.....for the next 30 or so minutes.

We want update! We want update! Panda and dis already updated! WE WANT UPDATE! :mad:

Here does come the death of spam...
A giant story.

An Explanation of Norvalin

Part of the reason I write this is to spare some Citadeler a trip to the ends of the earth, but indeed, that is only part of the reason. I feel the world must understand us, and what we have been through. This document will be sent back to the civilized lands, so that Norvalin will be understood.

For eight hard years after the exodus from Veritas, our ships sailed the northern seas. We left the homeland divided. There were Zibonese among our ranks, and Kalmar, along with what some among you might consider to be true Veritasians, Veritasians, those who have bloodlines descending from the First City. We were defeated, and as a defeated people, infighting began within our ranks. Onboard the ships of the northern exodus, there were murders and feuds, and there was treachery.

But then, after those eight hard years, we finally found a land to call our own. Norvalin, nestled in the boreal wastes, isolated from anything that could be called civilization. We found this barren land in the Veritasian Year 1157, and we became its people.

It took another eight years to find our purpose, but indeed we did. We realized that the Second Exile happened for a reason. Our people had become sinful, corrupt, and disunited. We had forgotten why the First Exile had occurred.

And so we made it so that we will never forget again. We purged our culture of the unnecessary. Racial boundaries were keeping us apart, and so we intermarried, circulating our seed until there was but one people in the northern lands. There became but one people of Norvalin. We stopped the process of waste. A visitor to Norvalin would notice that there are no gaudy signs in our cities, no elegant buildings, no tasteful clothing. For pride caused the Second Exile, and we will never forget again.

An obvious question might then be: what do you, the people of Norvalin, do with your lives, lives with little in the way of entertainment, or clutter?

I will answer that question, for oh, yes, there is an answer.

We are preparing for a time to come. We do not exist for ourselves, for we know that to do as much is sin. We exist for our children, and our children’s children. We exist so that their lives, many generations away, will be filled with happiness and pleasure.

I know you have another question. I know you wonder why we would want to perpetuate an endless cycle, where generations of Valin purge themselves of sin, only to be corrupted again.

But let me tell you: this is not our vision. We see a future where, beyond taking great pleasure from life, the Valin people are taught to remember their beginnings. They will be taught to be humble, and to never forget, least there be a Third Exile.

But enough of the future we seek. I will tell you more of the life we live now.

There are two Norvalin cities. The first, our capital, was built at the beachhead where the first Norvalin ship landed in our new homeland. Unias, that city was named, to represent the new Norvalin unity. Our second city, Varlas, was so named as a lament to former Veritas.

In these cities, and in the barren lands around, our people live. We are taught from birth of the Second Exile, of what we as a people did to deserve such barren lands as a home. At fifteen, each Norvalin, man and woman, is asked what he or she wishes to do with their life. There are many answers. Strong, brave men, and even some women, chose to join the military, and serve in either the Norvalin Army, or the Norvalin Navy. Our people have many enemies, and we must protect ourselves. For our people must survive to gain the paradise on earth we seek. Others at fifteen choose to be administrators, or teachers, or miners. Those who need help in the choice are given it, but in the end, we all must choose a path.

And we work until the day we die. Sometimes, when there are injuries, or simply when too much time elapses for a body to take, it becomes impossible to continue to work in a chosen path, if that path is physical. But then, a Norvalin will simply choose another path, one more suited for the new condition of age, or injury. But all do something.

Our prisons are not places for punishment. They are truly places for rehabilitation. For we cannot extract vengeance on our own people. We do not have the numbers or the strength for that luxury. But, if after too long a time, a person shows no signs of change, he or she is killed. We have no time to waste on those who prove not to believe in the cause.

There is a single facet of our culture that visitors would not think minimalist. It is the Journey of Redemption. Once in every Norvalin’s lifetime, he or she is expected to, if able, journey to Unias, to gaze upon the sandy shore that the first Norvalin ship landed on.

That journey is what sustains us throughout life. It is to remember why we work tirelessly in an almost barren land. We were proud once, but then the One willed us a Second Exile. And so, we work, and hope that our children can have the paradise on earth we dream of. We are fallen, but future generations do not have to be that way.

There is another question you might ask, intrepid reader. What do the people of Norvalin think of the other nations? This too shall be answered.

Our partners in exile, New Veritas, and Exilsium, are our friends and allies. But we alone came to live in a barren land, whilst their citizens live in lands much more fruitful. We know that we are the most cursed, and thus have the most to redeem ourselves for, as we scrape out an existence in the frozen north. We know the One would not have sent our ships to our northern, barren land, had we been at all worthy.

As for the Oneist Veritas successor states, in the land of Old Veritas, we have forgiven them. We understand that only those of great courage could go out on the exodus, and as the One has not see fit to strike them down, we see no reason to bear them ill will. In fact, we hope one day that the successor states unify, and show the nations of the Crystal Ridge Alliance that Old Veritas will not remain a land of puppet nations.

As for the nations of the Crystal Ridge Alliance, we understand why they conquered Old Veritas. Though they do not believe in the One, the One was on their side, as the people of Old Veritas were sinful. But we cannot support their hold on the Veritas successor states, as their puppets.

We then come to the nations of the Bladists. And at them is where our fury rests. They joined in the war to destroy Veritas, not because of any justification, but because they saw that Veritas was about to collapse, and wanted a part of the spoils.

Now comes our opinion of Emor. Traitors. No more needs to be said.

But I have spoken enough of Norvalin opinions of foreign lands. I will return to speaking of our own.

Norvalin has existed for near a century. We, the most cursed of the exiled Oneists, are the inhabitants of a barren land. But we still have hope that, with the tireless effort of all our people, we will redeem ourselves.

We will make the barren land of Norvalin into a great land. A land that all, from every corner of the world, will want to visit. We will make Norvalin into a nation where our descendents can live in paradise on earth. Why? Because we must.

Written by the-
Norvalin Sage Onerus Reken
In the Veritasian Year 1248

Yes, I know I have yet to send a single set of orders. The story just didn't take all that long to write. (Or at least didn't feel like it.) :)

Very good story, reminding me of my own. An excellant start to what I hope will be a long NESing career.

:goodjob:

Top Bottom