women as Great people

Jeppson said:
How many of the great peoples are women. I dont know if I have seen one yet.
There arent any women in the game save the leaders.

I think I saw Marie Curie once as a great scientist. Anyway lets face, in history there are more great men than women.

Hi all

At least I've already saw Marie Curie and Joana d'Arc.

Honestly, I do not remember any other great women (except leaders) in really world...

Lord Olleus said:
I think I saw Marie Curie once as a great scientist. Anyway lets face, in history there are more great men than women.

In a patriarchal society(as most of the world has been since the advent of agriculture), we may hear more about men as leaders and innovators, but women certainly haven't been given their due.
For instance, Edwin Hubble may never have discovered the red shift without his assistants(mostly women) doing the real grunt work...

Lord Olleus said:

Would you care to justify that statement? (and I dont mean the one about once seeing Marie Curie).

Hey Joni said:
I've heard of Jeanne d'Arc being born as a great prophet but it was not in my empire (she's probably very weird with the beard and stuff :) )

Well, she IS french, after all. So that explains the beard.

There is also a Scientist or a Prophet (I don't remember) called Hypatia.

Hey Joni said:
I've heard of Jeanne d'Arc being born as a great prophet but it was not in my empire (she's probably very weird with the beard and stuff :) )

Jep, I had the message about Joan d´Arc being born, too.

But as it was in another Civ I couldn´t check if they used another, more female, avatar for her

Judge Dee said:
i had ... i'm pretty sure the name was jiang zemin, a great entertainer, who was mao's moderately evil second wife.
u refer to jiang qing?she is mao's third wife.....
jiang zemin,an entertainer as well,however,is the ex-generalsecretary of china communist party

G Julius Caesar said:
Would you care to justify that statement? (and I dont mean the one about once seeing Marie Curie).

of course.

1) Open any science/history/math textbook

2) Count the number of men mentioned

3) count the number of women mentioned

You will soon see that I am right. This does not mean than men are better than women, just that for most of history men have almost exclusively been in positions of importance and where the only ones to recieve a decent education. Its quite hard to discover knew things if you haven't heard of the known ones.

Hey Joni said:

Not great prophet, Great General.

She was my second general last map.

mjdh1957 said:
I've seen Sojourner Truth as a great prophet. She was a black anti-slavery and women's rights activist in 19th Century America.

Well, in the game she's probably a white, bearded guy just like Jeanne d'Arc :)

EDIT: Didn't see the last post - KHSOLO are you sure; I remember she was a Great Prophet well. They might have put her in both categories. It would be fun to have Jeanne as a Great General with moustache and as Great Prophet with a beard a few years later when she has time to grow it.

As the person who came up with the names of probably about half of the Great People in the game (and researched the other half as far as I didn't already know them), I think I can answer this question definitively. There are 9 'Great Women' in the game, or 8 depending on how you count:

Boudica (General)
Jeanne d'Arc (General)
Sojourner Truth (Prophet)
Jeanne d'Arc (Prophet)
Merit Ptah (Scientist)
Xi Ling Shi (Scientist)
Hypatia (Scientist)
Marie Curie (Scientist)
Coco Chanel (Merchant)

It seems Jeanne d'Arc is both a Great Prophet and a Great General -- that would be my mistake :o (In my defense it wasn't idea to make her a Great Prophet, but I did add her as Great General without checking.)

I for one don't think for a second that there were more great men than great women in history, even with women often suffering from varying degrees of oppression, or at least discouragement from persuing their talents. But it is true that the names of more great men have survived in the annals of history, and there are other problems too. For one thing, there are ony 6 categories of Great People in Civ4, which means that some of the most famous women in history that don't fit any of these categories have to be excluded: Florence Nightingale, Mother Theresa, Amelia Earhart, etc (I'm not even going to mention political leaders -- not to mention powers behind the throne -- because the list would be endless). And the category that probably offers the most great women is that of Great Artist: from Sappho to Wei Shuo to Ayn Rand to Umm Kulthum. But unfortunately art is such a wide and generic category (writing, poetry, painting, sculpture, calligraphy, music, acting, architecture, etc) with so much competition from around the globe that no woman made the final list, as there's only room about 20-30 names per category (e.g. given the choice between Homer and Sappho, few people would argue Sappho was the most important ancient Greek author).

Top Bottom