Starcraft and Warcraft MOD sign up.

hey... gj guys :goodjob: ... ur doing really well... and an idea.... for lurker attacks... i dont know if this would work but convert the .dds for the trees to .bmp and shade the leaves brown or black and use that "attack tree" for the spikes... i dont know if there is a specific file type for unit animations... just tryin to help... oh yah... my b-day is tomorrow :D...... I STARTED A NEW PAGE :D

darkonion said:
hey... gj guys :goodjob: ... ur doing really well... and an idea.... for lurker attacks... i dont know if this would work but convert the .dds for the trees to .bmp and shade the leaves brown or black and use that "attack tree" for the spikes... i dont know if there is a specific file type for unit animations... just tryin to help... oh yah... my b-day is tomorrow :D...... I STARTED A NEW PAGE :D

[party]Happy birthday:bday:, Actaully Your idea is really good! , If it can work? Can it gerikes?

Killamike718 said:
[party]Happy birthday:bday:, Actaully Your idea is really good! , If it can work? Can it gerikes?

Hmm, I'm not sure. I don't think making the spikes will be hard as much as figuring out how to actually make them.... if that makes any sense.

I'm thinking that rather than be attached to the actual lurker unit, right now those "explosions" that happen are just generic effects that are being triggered only for when the lurker attacks. I think that is how most range attacks in Civ4 work (don't hold me to that though).

So, if we can get the tree and put it into a nif for the effect, than that would be great. That probably would be better than just taking a cylinder and painting it brown like I was thinking of doing :p

It's just a matter of figuring out how those effect files work.

BTW, I think it's close enough....

:bday: :banana: [party] :banana: :rockon: :banana: :band: :banana: :rockon: :banana: [party] :banana: :bday:

Ploeperpengel said:
If they shut you down you know a place where you're welcome:p

That's of course only until Games Workshop shuts US down:mischief:

@darkonion
btw happy birthday from me as well:)

haha!

Well, we already know what we're going to do if we do get anything from Blizzard saying that we can't use Starcraft ideas. Luckily, the fact of the matter is, only about 1% of the game is actually Starcraft (I mean christ it's not even real-time), if need be we can just through XML alone change everything to completely rid the Starcraft nature of it (you can copyright plotlines and trademark names, but you can't copyright ideas, such as "splash damage"). So, it's safe to say that we'll have a bit of a setback with having to create new names, technologies, etc, but absoluately no difference will be done to the code The big problem would be with the graphics. I'm still not sure what would be the matter on those, and it would be a shame for all of killamike's work to be done in vein, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

Well I don't know how Bliizzard handles this but I wouldn't worry to much. I know of no single Mod removed because it utilized graphics from or similar graphics to other games. As long you put in legal disclaimers to state it unoffical I think it's ok- I mean WH is there already how long? 3 years!(civ3) and nothing happened. I really don't understand all those poeple terrorrizing modders with paranoia attacks.:mad: (dramatization)

Question on Psi-Storm implementation:

I'm trying to figure out how Psi-Storm will work. I've created a class so that we can assign XML values that will correspond to how much each unit in the plot will take during a certain event. Examples could be:

1.) At the moment that the storm is first cast.
2.) All units in a stormed plot at the end of each players turn (only affects that player's units, only in turn-based game, see below)
3.) All units in a stormed plot at the end of each game turn (only for simultaneous games, see below)
4.) Whenever a unit moves into / leaves a plot that has a storm

The idea is that every plot will individually keep track of whether or not it has a storm on it. When it is cast, each plot will see that a storm is being cast, and do the first amount. However, dealing all the damage in one shot is way too overpowering, so it should be spread out over multiple turns (say, 2 or 3).

Next, I wanted to deal damage at the end of each turn. The problem is that there are two different "end of turns". The first is when a player finishes their turn. The second (end game turn) is after all player turns have ended.

I wanted to just do it so that at the end of the game turn, so any units found in a plot with storm still on it gets dealt damage, but I worry about the following scenario:

Team A has players 1 and 2, Team B has players 3 and 4. On this specific game turn, the order of the player goes 1,2,3,4. If player 3 casts a storm, he can move his units out of the way before the end of all player turns. Same with player 4. However, both players 1 and 2 will not have a turn to move their units, and thus they will be trapped in the storm getting the initial damage and the game turn damage.

Now, in a simultaneous game, because player turn order doesn't matter, I would think this would be ok (of course, you still get an advantage for casting your storm later in the simultaneous turn, since some units may be out of moves already, but I don't think that's that big a problem. Simultaneous mode is just weird anyway.

For the turn-based, the plan is that the player casts the storm. From then on, at the end of each player's turn, any unit that THAT player has left in the storm will be dealt damage. This allows for each player to have exactly one turn to move their units. After the nth turn (the duration of the storm), the storm disappears at the beginning of the turn of the player that cast it.

Also note that it is possible to place it at the beginning of a players turn rather than the end.

One problem is that a storm (which will be a group of plots somewhere around 2x2, 3x3 or some other shape around that size) is small enough that faster units (vultures, zerglings, perhaps even speed-upgraded zealots) could go right through one without stopping on that plot. They would start just above the storm, and end their turn just below, therefore going through the plot but because they didn't end their turn on it, they would be dealt no damage. Note that we could also limit it so that a unit only gets hit with a "moving into/out of a stormed plot" a limited number of times. Also, it can be made so that the affect only happens when the unit moves from a non-stormed plot to a stormed plot.

So, with all that said, before I start rambling on about code, I'm hoping to get some ideas over how the storm should work. When should units get damaged?

- Upon storms initial cast (I'm pretty certain this should be one).
- Upon beginning / end game turn.
- Upon end game / player turn.
- Whenever a unit moves into / out of a stormed plot (with or without limitations).
- Any other ideas.

Also, obviously each event can have it's own value. For example, we can set a very high initial value, a medium-level end-turn value, and a low-medium move value. I just think that whatever we choose, we should probably keep it easy to understand, rather than ridiculously complex, for both my sake and the players :p

Ploeperpengel said:
Well I don't know how Bliizzard handles this but I wouldn't worry to much. I know of no single Mod removed because it utilized graphics from or similar graphics to other games. As long you put in legal disclaimers to state it unoffical I think it's ok- I mean WH is there already how long? 3 years!(civ3) and nothing happened. I really don't understand all those poeple terrorrizing modders with paranoia attacks.:mad: (dramatization)
Unlike other game companies, Blizzard is known for viciously defending its copyrights, however minor the infractions. FreeCraft was a completely separate fan-made game which was shot down by Blizzard in 2003 because it utilized ideas that were similar to those in Warcraft II.

Using the graphics from StarCraft could cause legal action from Blizzard, so caution is advisable. The best thing to do would be to contact Blizzard and as them whether you can use their graphics or not.

Gerikes said:
So, with all that said, before I start rambling on about code, I'm hoping to get some ideas over how the storm should work. When should units get damaged?
The damage should begin on initial cast, and should end after a set amount of turns.

Saketh said:
Unlike other game companies, Blizzard is known for viciously defending its copyrights, however minor the infractions. FreeCraft was a completely separate fan-made game which was shot down by Blizzard in 2003 because it utilized ideas that were similar to those in Warcraft II.

Using the graphics from StarCraft could cause legal action from Blizzard, so caution is advisable. The best thing to do would be to contact Blizzard and as them whether you can use their graphics or not.

I've been trying to get in contact with them, sending e-mail every now and then. We don't even plan on using graphics or anything. But that wouldn't stop them from finding something. In any case, it's a dead issue until Blizzard does something about it.

The damage should begin on initial cast, and should end after a set amount of turns.

The question is, when to actually deal the damage inbetween it's beginning and end :p

idea... again..... =\..... i can garrantee ur gettin tired of me and my ideas.....

damage for lightning (storm).... should be:

1. high damage for first turn
2. medium damage 2nd turn
3. low damage for rest of turns...

damage is similar to bombarding in old civ 3..... lol..... figure it out gerikes.... i know u can do.... i mean uve gotten this far.....

darkonion said:
idea... again..... =\..... i can garrantee ur gettin tired of me and my ideas.....

damage for lightning (storm).... should be:

1. high damage for first turn
2. medium damage 2nd turn
3. low damage for rest of turns...

damage is similar to bombarding in old civ 3..... lol..... figure it out gerikes.... i know u can do.... i mean uve gotten this far.....

I was thinking of doing something like that. I pretty much have Psi Storm and Dark Swarm done, I normally just put something up here so people can respond, then go where I think it good. If I find a better idea half-way through, I start going that way.

Currently, psionic storm does 50 damage when first cast, and 30 damage to any unit left in a stormed plot at the end of it's players turn. However, I could make it so that each turn it decreases by a certain amount. I've done it this way for now, but it wouldn't be hard to change later. I'm pretty sure that the way I did it though won't work well with simultaneous mode in terms of gameplay, but I'm not too worried about it right now. It's not going to cause any crashes or stuff like that.

I just need to finish one or two more things and I'm set to release it, with Dark Swarm and Psionic Storm. Just keep in mind that the way I show that Dark Swarm and Psionic Storm are on a plot is going to be VERY VERY UGLY, but the way I see it, the more ugly it is, the more it'll make us want to make it pretty :p

Gerikes said:
I just need to finish one or two more things and I'm set to release it, with Dark Swarm and Psionic Storm. Just keep in mind that the way I show that Dark Swarm and Psionic Storm are on a plot is going to be VERY VERY UGLY, but the way I see it, the more ugly it is, the more it'll make us want to make it pretty :p

ha ha.... reverse psycolegy dont work on yourself u know... lol... :goodjob:

strategyonly said:
If you'll need a map or maps, let me know where to look or provide me a copy of the map you'll want and i will try and make it, if not thats ok also.

I'm kind of hesitating to make too many maps right now, because I eventually want to have the ability to make high-ground and low-ground, which will need to have new terrain eventually. So, if too many maps are made now they'll just have to be redone.

If you're familiar with Starcraft, and know of any maps done using a tileset like the default Civ4 (probably badlands or jungle, although badlands has asphalt) without any high ground (like challenger or dire straights, the two that I've inclued) that would be cool. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have a fun time near the end, after high-ground is created, to make my own modification to the BMP2WBS program to work specifically with Civcraft.

Gerikes said:
I'm kind of hesitating to make too many maps right now, because I eventually want to have the ability to make high-ground and low-ground, which will need to have new terrain eventually. So, if too many maps are made now they'll just have to be redone.

If you're familiar with Starcraft, and know of any maps done using a tileset like the default Civ4 (probably badlands or jungle, although badlands has asphalt) without any high ground (like challenger or dire straights, the two that I've inclued) that would be cool. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have a fun time near the end, after high-ground is created, to make my own modification to the BMP2WBS program to work specifically with Civcraft.

No problem i was just informing about the Warcraft ones anyways, but if you need any assistance let me know ok, thx,and btw good job!

what if... and this is only an "if".... we made it so that the game, when it randomly creates the "world", create it using the concept that ur main base starts off with minerals and vespine gas in the immediate area, and that there are issolated pockets of the resources elsewhere.... just a thought.... rewrite the code for world creation....

darkonion said:
what if... and this is only an "if".... we made it so that the game, when it randomly creates the "world", create it using the concept that ur main base starts off with minerals and vespine gas in the immediate area, and that there are issolated pockets of the resources elsewhere.... just a thought.... rewrite the code for world creation....

I was thinking about it, but for now I think it's more important to get the actual gameplay down. The process of taking a Starcraft map and turning it into a Civcraft map doesn't take more than 15 minutes.

Also, I've been having a harder and harder time finding time to actually work on any pet projects (including Civcraft), so it's important to work on the gameplay stuff first.

But it's definetely something that, when 1.0 comes around and I don't feel like working on the AI stuff quite yet, I'll look into.

Top Bottom