YouTube Music

Great idea for thread again from Ram.

Some not so rare stuff but I consider these being one of my favourites of all time and the younger generation should get to know all these "classic songs".

The Stranglers - Golden Brown

Answers.com said:
Golden Brown" is a waltzing, harpsichord-led ballad in a 6/8 and 7/8 time signature from The Stranglers. (The instrumental bridges add an extra beat in every other measure, effectively producing a 13/8 time signature), with the 7 inch record featuring B-side "Love 30".

The song featured on the group's album La Folie, which was released in November 1981. "Golden Brown" was released as a single in early 1982 and reached number two in the official UK singles chart in February of that year, behind "Town Called Malice" by The Jam. The song was accompanied with a video.

The highly conservative Radio Two, at that time an MOR station, decided to make the record the single of the week, a surprising step considering the band was almost as notorious as The Sex Pistols only a few short years before.

The band claimed that the song's lyrics were akin to an aural Rorschach test and that people only heard in it what they wanted to hear, although this did not prevent persistent allegations that the lyrics were about heroin. The success of this song commercially is probably the single factor that secured The Stranglers their continuing life in pop mainstream for the remainder of the 1980s.

However, even as of 2004, the Irish Today FM radio station will always play this track as a substitute for The Stranglers' "Skin Deep", which is more obviously about heroin usage (lead singer Hugh Cornwell had been jailed for two months for heroin possession in 1980). This is done for requests and even in retro chart rundowns.

This song is also on the soundtracks of the movies Snatch, and He Died With A Felafel In His Hand.

The Jam - Town Called Malice

Answers.com said:
Featuring one of the easily-recognisable bass-lines in British music history,"Town Called Malice" is a song recorded by The Jam from the album The Gift. It was the A-side of a single also featuring "Precious". Released as the first single from the album on February 13, 1982, it reached number one on the British music charts, staying at the top for three weeks, but failed to chart in the United States. It was the band's third #1 single in the UK. Paul Weller has said that it was written about his hometown Woking as a result of his teenage experiences there. A music video of the song was filmed and was in moderate rotation on MTV in 1982 and 1983. The song was featured prominently in the 2006 film The Matador and also appeared in the film Billy Elliott. It is also on the soundtrack to FIFA 2004.

Interestingly enough, the bass line that the song is famous for actually appearing two years earlier in the Elvis Costello album Get Happy!! on the song "Love for Tender". If you listen to both songs carefully, "Town Called Malice" also features the same use of handclaps and keyboard notes as "Love for Tender". The song "Love for Tender" was recorded in 1980.

And Oldie but Goodie, originally was introduced to this song by the Shadows cover version which ain't bad either.

Mason Williams - Classical Gas

Answers.com said:
"Classical Gas" is an instrumental piece by Mason Williams. Williams plays guitar and is accompanied by an orchestra backing. It was released in February 1968 from the album The Mason Williams Phonograph Record. In August 1968 it reached the top 5 in the American charts and went on to sell over a million copies.

Awards
In 1968 the piece won three Grammy awards: Best Instrumental Composition, Best Contemporary-Pop Performance, Instrumental, and Best Instrumental Arrangement.

In 1998 Broadcast Music Incorporated (BMI) awarded Williams a special Citation of Achievement. The piece has logged over three million broadcast performances to become BMI's all-time number-one instrumental composition for radio air play.

ironduck: Took another, closer look at your links, which are excellent!

Billie Holiday is just effortless and nonchalant with her talents. I've seen much footage of her before and her sad life always comes through. Who is the guy on the baritone sax? That solo was very good.

The young John Lee Hooker's 'Boom Boom' was great fun and damn that crowd was loving it! I especially liked the chef coming out and working the dancefloor with his hat still on. :D

Chuck's 'Sweet Li'l Sixteen' was good to hear again. I was once again reminded of what a total rip off The Beach Boys' 'Surfin' USA' was. :scan:

Plotinus: What's so great about these clips is that (a) you get to see what these guys look like. I had no idea Howlin' Wolf looked like that. And what a funny blues man he is. And (b) you can see the crowds that were loving them at the time. Most insightful cultural and anthropological lessons to be learnt. Great clips mate. Thanks a lot. :goodjob:

Radio - Elvis Costello and the Attractions
The nerd rocker's famous rebellion on Saturday Night Live, in which he defies his record company and sings Radio, a song that's critical of the music industry. From what I understand, he wasn't permitted to make another appearance for a while. It's a good song, even if he doesn't do it all that well in this performance (though the audio-video sync is a bit off, unfortunately).

Layla - Clapton, Beck, Page
What must have been a truly awesome concert. Any faster on this one and I think something would have caught on fire. Also, watch for the tambourine/gong player periodically going nuts.

Yer Blues-- John Lennon and others
A very spaced out Lennon in front of Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Mitch Mitchell, presented by Mick Jagger. Memorable for Clapton's good guitar solo and Lennon's exceedingly bad one (but hey, at least he seemed to enjoy it!). Characteristically, Lennon also seems to forget where the microphone is.

Ram, that's Gerry Mulligan - that session was truly an all-star lineup. Note the point in the video where Lester Young (Prez) solos and Billie looks at him, that's just wow.. if you like Billie's later years take a listen to the Lady in Satin album.

For the blues lovers out there I present Muddy Waters and Sonny Boy Williamson together!

Thanks for the info there ironduck. :)

Bartleby said:
and here's Jimi Hendrix doing Sunshine of your Love
Great performance there and nice to see (what'shisface?) on the bass stepping forward for a change. That tune is an absolute corker and I often play the Ella Fitzgerald version in my funk sets at parties and clubs. In fact, there are many covers of that song. I've got a couple of reggae versions, another soul version and an outright funkyass ants in your pants version. What a song!!

Questions: Who wrote it originally? And on what disc can I get a hold of Hendrix's version (not live though, cos I want to play it in a set sometime and live songs don't always suit)?

---------

Here is one of my all time favourite Hendrix performances:

:eek: :eek: Jimi Hendrix plays "Wild Thing" (at the Monterey Festival) :eek: :eek:

Edit: Stick around for the full 7mins of that clip to see the feedback frenzy, him setting fire to his guitar, before smashing it and throwing the neck out into the audience. (Can't do that kind of thing these days. One must think of Health & Safety don't you know!)

The Monterey International Pop Music Festival took place from June 16 to June 18, 1967. Over 200,000 people attended, and it is often regarded as the precursor to Woodstock.

Held at the Monterey County Fairgrounds in Monterey, California, it was planned by producer Lou Adler, John Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas, producer Alan Pariser, and publicist Derek Taylor. The festival board included members of The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

The artists performed for free, with all revenue donated to charity, with the exception of Ravi Shankar, who was paid $3,000 for his performance on the Sitar. Over 200,000 people attended the festival, and it is generally regarded (along with the release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which was released two weeks earlier) as the apex of the so-called "Summer of Love".

The festival became legendary for the first major American appearance by Jimi Hendrix (who was booked on the insistence of board member Paul McCartney) and The Who, and it was the first major public performance for Janis Joplin and Otis Redding (who died a few months later).

Many record company executives were in attendance, and many of the performers won recording contracts based on their appearance at the festival. Several acts were also notable for their non-appearance. Several reasons were given for The Beach Boys' cancellation, which was interpreted as an admission that they could not compete alongside hipper acts; more likely, the boys had yet to recover from the rift between Brian Wilson and the rest of the band over their failure to complete the follow up to Pet Sounds, Smile. British musician Donovan was refused a visa to enter the United States because of a 1966 drug bust; Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band was also invited to appear but according to the liner notes for the CD reissue of their album Safe AS Milk, the band reportedly turned the offer down at the insistence of guitarist Ry Cooder, who felt the group was not ready. While the Rolling Stones did not play, guitarist Brian Jones attended, introduced Hendrix's performance, and was hailed as the "king of the festival". Eric Burdon and the Animals, by the end of the year, sang a song about the festival entitled "Monterey", which quoted a line from the Byrds song "Renaissance Faire" ("I think that Maybe I'm Dreamin") Eric mentions the Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, Ravi Shankar, Jimi Hendrix, the Who, the Grateful Dead, and Brian Jones as "His Majesty, Prince Jones, Smiled among the crowd." The instruments, in that song, imitated the styles of the performers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Monterey_International_Pop_Festival

Rambuchan said:
Questions: Who wrote it originally? And on what disc can I get a hold of Hendrix's version (not live though, cos I want to play it in a set sometime and live songs don't always suit)?
According to Wikipedia, it was written by Clapton and Bruce, in collaboration with a poet named Pete Brown.

The only recording I could find of Hendrix's version is on The Last Experience Concert: Live at the Royal Albert Hall, a live album released in 1990.

The original Cream version of "Sunshine" is on Disraeli Gears. Hendrix speeds it up a little.
And doesn't bother with the words.

Rambuchan said:
Bartleby & Taliesin: Thanks. Might have to hunt down that Hendrix disc.

Excellent! What shameless slicksters :lol:

You know that's a Ray Charles song afterall. Here he is performing it in the '80s. Shame there isn't a more vintage version of him playing on YouTube so far. But this one is still grrreat. What a funky old dude. :cool:
my mother saw him live when he was here in israel, back in 74?76?
i heard about that show 20 years afterwards.!!!!
supposedly he came on and did a full 3.5 hour show, and after that he came back for a 2 hour encore!
and he kept dancing-singing-joking-drinking all the way through...
i wish i was old enough to see that :cry:

Rambuchan said:
Might have to hunt down that Hendrix disc.

disclaimer: I don't have a copy of that

This is probably the best-known Hendrix version (the one I saw first anyway), also faster, and also w/o vocal.

ironduck said:
Not enough women here, let's change to female artists for a while, eh?
Agreed. Here's some vintage Aretha Franklin - doing "Respect". Like I said about Billie - just effortless!

As for Nina, well, what a shame she is no longer with us. One of the most versatile ladies that ever sang into a mic and tickled the ivories. What a talent.

Ram I was thinking of doing the same thing after yesterday's Peter Tosh/Mick Jagger post. Today I will spend my day working and gootubing songs you all have posted. Plotinus you're a man at my own heart posting some Chicago down and dirty blues.

I'm going to post with a California surfer theme where both lead singers met untimely deaths.
I would suggest both bands would have continued on for decades.
wiki said:
A chance meeting between acquaintances and UCLA film school students Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek on Venice beach in July 1965 led to the founding of The Doors, one of the premier acts of the late 1960s, in 1965 in Los Angeles, California. Morrison told Manzarek he had been writing songs and, at Manzarek's encouragement, sang "Moonlight Drive." Manzarek immediately suggested they form a band.

The Doors "Peace Frog" song length 2:59
wiki said:
Sublime was a band whose style was a mixture of garage punk and ska from Long Beach, California. A more detailed look at the band's stylistic influences reveals a mix of reggae and dub, ska, punk, and hip hop. The band consisted of three members: Brad Nowell (vocals and guitar), Bud Gaugh (drums), and Eric Wilson (bass guitar). The band achieved mainstream success with their self-titled third album, but Brad Nowell died of a heroin overdose shortly before it was released and the band broke up soon after. The band is still considered influential today, and their music sees heavy airplay on American radio stations.

Sublime's "What I got" song length 2:52

Dead Kennedys-Holiday in Cambodia
4:04

A studio version of Jello Biafra's song raging against middle-class stalinit apologists.
The video, as released , was spliced with footage fro the Vietnam War, and the scenes of the riot at the US embassy.

The Ramones-I don't want to grow up
Not one of their msot popular songs, but a good riff, and amusing video.

Johnny Cash-Hurt
Johnny Cash's last song, and a poignant tribute to the man.

REM-Everybody Hurts
A really nice video

From the fil Deliverance-Dueling Banjos
Maybe not quite conformig to the rules, but a beatiful scene from the film Deliverance, where they play banjo and guitar (actually played by them)

Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins-Imagine
Played Live at the Amnesty International show in 197~ playing a beautiful acoustic cover of John Lennon's Imagine.

Top Bottom