YouTube Music

[Rambuchan] Some of these clips are wonderful social documents. That first Wolf one is especially interesting: I have the full thing on DVD, and before that clip, Wolf is busy haranguing Son House, his former mentor, who was rambling drunkenly from the audience. Apparently Wolf was in a foul mood that day, partly because the sax player was out of tune (watch carefully and you can see Wolf throw him a dirty look when he comes in).

Note how virtually everyone in the audiences from the blues clips is white - these artists were only filmed during the blues boom of the 1960s, when white audiences discovered their music. Virtually none were filmed before this time.

This is why it's so amazing that we have footage of Leadbelly, one of the first black artists to become popular among white people before it was fashionable. His real name was Huddie Ledbetter (1885-1949) and he was a true legend: in and out of prison for murder, working on the chain gangs, getting out of prison early by singing a song for the governor (twice!), becoming a fashionable figure in New York cafe society, you name it. Leadbelly was also an astonishing talent, and one of only two musicians to become famed for their ability on the twelve-string guitar (the other was Blind Willie McTell). He apparently won that guitar in some seedy bet from a Mexican. He was the first blues singer to tour Europe - to small audiences - shortly before his death from a wasting disease in 1949. They say that the only time anyone saw Leadbelly cry was the day he realised he couldn't play his guitar any more.

Ah, the stories!

This is a traditional work song. The recording is from 1945, miraculously in colour. In some of the close-ups you can see the scar from when someone tried to cut his throat. Check out the accelerating guitar work - on a twelve-string. The man had fingers like sausages.

Pick A Bale Of Cotton - Leadbelly

Now here's a different kettle of fish - a news video of Leadbelly and John Lomax. They are "recreating" the scene when Lomax, the folklorist, discovered Leadbelly in prison and persuaded him to record a song asking Governor O.K. Allen to release him. As the dialogue explains, this was the second time that Leadbelly had done this. After being released, Leadbelly really did track Lomax down and ask for work; Lomax employed him as his chaffeur.

This footage is worth watching for Leadbelly's performances, but it's practically unbearable from every other point of view - cringe as Leadbelly is portrayed as a thick but loveable "boy" in prison clothes who is pitifully grateful to Lomax for helping him. This is how black artists were portrayed in mainstream media in the 1940s. Lomax himself is something of a bogeyman among many music lovers today. He always told artists what he wanted to hear, and he had very philistine views about modern music. He would often look for musicians in prisons, on the basis that their music would have been less "contaminated" by recent developments, and he hated electric blues of the Muddy Waters/Howlin' Wolf variety. He thought the musicians were selling out - obviously they should instead have been relying on good old Mr Lomax to look after them. I have, on DVD, a notorious track where Lomax talks to Blind Willie McTell, whom he recorded in 1940 (and paid a dollar for it). Lomax asks McTell to sing a song with a title so racist I can't mention it here; McTell, embarrassed, deftly changes the subject.

But, on the other hand, without John Lomax and his like, we wouldn't have a great deal of the music from this period that we do have. In an age when black music was considered suitable only for black listeners, and when record companies marketed it simply as "race records" with no artistic value, Lomax saw something more worthwhile in these singers and did his best to preserve their work. We must simply see him very much as a product of his day, for that that entails, good and bad.

March Of Time - Leadbelly and John Lomax

Finally, Nirvana's cover of a song that Leadbelly made famous. It was an old folk song even when he covered it, usually known as In The Pines. Nirvana's version follows Leadbelly's very closely. I can't decide which version is better. Cobain screams the lyrics with a pain that Leadbelly never put into it - but Leadbelly's soft-spoken rendering, with a simple guitar accompaniment, is actually even scarier in its subtlety. If you get a chance, make sure you listen to the original. It's on YouTube too, but in audio only (of course), so I haven't linked to it.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Nirvana

This genre is collaborations.
wiki said:
The Traveling Wilburys were a supergroup created by George Harrison and Jeff Lynne. Initially an informal grouping with Roy Orbison and Tom Petty, they got together at Bob Dylan's studio (Santa Monica, California) to record an additional track as a B-side for the single release of Harrison's "This is Love". The song they came up with was "Handle With Care". However, the record company immediately realized it was too good to be released as a single "filler". They enjoyed working together so much that they decided to create an album together

Roy Orbison --Lefty Wilbury
Tom Petty aka Charlie T. Jnr.
Bob Dylan Lucky Wilbury
Jeff Lynne--Otis Wilbury
George Harrison Nelson Wilbury

You’ll notice Roy Orbison’s voice on this video but he's not in the video since he died right before the making of it.
End of the Line 3:19
Here's Roy leading the way
Handle with care 3:14

George singing a old Beatles classic with Phil Collins and Ringo Starr on drums, Elton John on keyboards and Mark King of Level 42 on bass.
Here comes the Sun 3:20

While My Guitar Gently weeps with Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr (it was the first time Paul and Ringo played on stage since 1966). I believe this was made right after George died.
While my guitar gently weeps 6:10

To finish off I was at this concert this summer at Milwaukee’s Summerfest when Eddie Vedder joined Tom Petty to sing “The waiting”. This is homemade so the sound and video quality is not the best but it was such an awesome combo with Pearl Jam and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers I had to post it.

The Waiting with Eddie Vedder on lead vocals 4:44

Ella Fitzgerald sings Mack the Knife in 1968.

"Bobby Darin and Louie Armstrong have made records of this song,
But now Ella and her fellas have made a wreck, a wreck of this song."

She's referring to her unforgettable rendition of it at Berlin in the same year, when she sang it as an encore but forgot the words two verses in. This clip doesn't quite capture the sheer joy and spontaneity of her impromptu lyrics (which, as I recall, included the pun quoted above), but it gives some idea of Ella in top form. (There are several clips from her Berlin concert, but oddly they don't include Mack the Knife.) There's also a more straightforward performance of it from 1965.

I also looked for a video of the Crew Cuts, but sadly I couldn't find one.

People here seem to be almost exclusively interested in male artists.. anyway, here's another goodie, from a performance that I've actually been unable to locate - so if anyone can help out please do.

Astrud Gilberto singing The Girl From Ipanema with Stan Getz on sax and Gary Burton on vibraphone.

Stan Getz being one of the greatest tenor sax players of all time and Astrud Gilberto broke through when she entered the bossa nova wave with Getz.

edit - ah good to see Ella!

Either today started of horrible or yesterday ended horrible. I went to the airport and proceeded to get extremely drunk so I would sleep the flight away. As soon as my butt hit the seat a snow storm hit. We sat there for an hour and a half until it was cancelled. As soon as I had my bags it stopped snowing. My new flight leave in about 30 hours I was slightly pissed (mad this time) with nothing to do. Then I find this thread and did as Ram suggested and looked for old videos of music I liked. The day is turning out great. I didn't know there was so much good stuff on youtube.

What will follow will be the music I loved as I was growing up and still do. Punk. Deep down I know the politics are too extreme on most things (from the bands I love) and the music is (mostly? half? some?) horrible. But it's the music that's made me happy, helped me through hard times and made the most sense to me. Enough of my prattle ... On to the music!

I got into punk through bands like Pennywise and the Offspring and discovered Propagandhi through an old tape someone lent me. I wore said tape out.

Propagandhi - Haillie Does Hebron. One of Prop's few slow songs (Ska Sucks). Excessive swearing at the end of the song. I always loved the lyrics to this song. He did some weird rhyming but made it work. The first song I learned on bass guitar.

Propagandhi - Purina Hall of Fame
. One of my favorite songs by them aswell. Off one of their newer albums (Today's Empires, Tomorrows Ashes, I think). The guitar solo is by far my favorite punk one. Although he does mess it up a bit. There is some sweeeeet bass lines in this song. You'd have to hear the studio recording as they're pretty subtle and hard to hear on this sub-par recording.

Propagandhi - The State Lottery. I was only gonna do two of their songs but this has to be added in. I still think the lyrics to this oldie ring true.

From there I found old English punk. I don't even know how I learned about half these bands. I wish I could now that I look back. The two that'll be shown are Crass and Conflict. Crass did a lot of messed up things. My favorite Crass moment (from wikipedia):

A further post-Falklands war hoax that originated from members of Crass garnered enough attention to elicit fears of KGB activity from the Reagan Administration. Known as 'the Thatchergate tapes', this was a cassette featuring a faked conversation using edited samples of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagans' voices, in which they appeared to allege that Europe would be used as a target for intermediate range nuclear weapons in any conflict between the United States and the Soviet Union. Copies were leaked to the press, and although put together totally anonymously, the British Observer newspaper was somehow able to link the tape with the band.

Conflict (W/ Steve Ignorant) - Big A Little A. A classic Crass song performed by Conflict with the lead singer of Crass as a guest. From the comments of this video: "Apparently Colin Jerwood had to pose as a Rough Trade rep to get the gig, all suited up. What a classic gig, not long after this Conflict were banned from playing in the UK"... This is such a catchy tune. Too bad the video is low quality and you loose most of that.

This post is getting long and i'm sure no one is gonna read all this but i'm going to keep going because i'm having fun with this.

I found out about a band called "The Pist" from a goth girl in high school. You know, this band is pretty horrible musically. But i've found myself most able to sing along and want to dance to their music. Here's a live version of the first song off of their album "Ideas Are Bulletproof."

The Pist - We're Still Pist.

Enter Bad Religion. Their new stuff is alright. But their old stuff is top notch. This is a live video montage type of deal. You can't even tell it is a montage except for the fact that his shirt keeps changing. :mischief: I bought this (VHS) while I was in high school and I swear I watched it for days.

Bad Religion - Suffer. BR has some of the craziest lyrics. Suffer and No Control are, by far, my favorite albums.

Cut to now. Ignite is the reigning champ of punk bands in my book. Excellent lyrics and music and the best punk vocals i've ever heard. I just seen them live with Pennywise and it was the best show i've ever been too. This punk band actually deifies the horrible music stygma. Here's why.

Ignite - Fear is Our Tradition.

For all you misfits fans here's Zoli from Ignite singing with them:

Misfits - Dig Up Her Bones With Zoli.

And a cover song off of Ignite's newest album:

Ignite - Sunday Bloody Sunday. The quality of the video (once again) is shoddy but I can attest that he nails every single note live. I can't wait to see em again.

Thanks to anyone who actually made it through all of that.

stevenpfo - nothing more to say > :worship:
and a very good post too :goodjob:
maybe (as you've got 30 hours to go ;)) you can give us some more?

Sex Pistols Anarchy In The U.K.
Sex Pistols-God Save The Queen Live

and now - some real classics:

The Clash - Rock The Casbah
The Clash - I Fought The Law
2 punk classics. i still play those at parties :D
Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
just plain nice to see
APHEX TWIN _ RUBBER JHONNY
very scary. music video. electronic mayhem.
BASEMENT JAXX _ WHERES YOUR HEAD AT?
monkeys and doctors? great music too!

nonconformist said:
The Ramones-I don't want to grow up
Not one of their msot popular songs, but a good riff, and amusing video.
Yeah, I love that video. :D

Agreed. :)

Still Dre : http://youtube.com/watch?v=ORzzgK5dIgo

Almost all hip-hop videos (and a helluvalot of the music) are materialistic and objectifying of women but I still love 'em.

"N****'s try to be the king but the Ace is back!" I love it! :)

Tupac : How do you want it : http://youtube.com/watch?v=SWk1oFTtrNc

There is a X rated version (full frontal nudity, lots of it, women making out with each other) of this on YouTube if you search (obviously I'm not allowed to link you to it here).

Great idea for a thread Ram! Just GREAT! :goodjob:

I'll start with an all-time favorite of mine. Ladies and gentlemen, Johnny F*cking Cash!!!

This video is taken from the Town Hall Party tv show.in 1959. Town Hall Party was California’s largest country barn dance and ran from 1953 through 1961 (according to some fan site). Cash made two recorded appearance there and a dvd of these performances was released according to the same fan site.

Johnny Cash (born J.R. Cash, February 26, 1932 – September 12, 2003) was an influential American country and rock and roll singer and songwriter. Cash was the husband of country singer and songwriter June Carter Cash.

Cash was known for his deep and distinctive voice, the boom-chick-a-boom or "freight train" sound of his Tennessee Three backing band, and his dark clothing and demeanor, which earned him the nickname "The Man in Black." He started all his concerts with the simple introduction "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash."
Wiki Link

On the same show, Cash does a killer Elvis impression! Check it out! :lol:

My all-time favorite band is Bad Religion.

Bad Religion is a hardcore punk/punk rock band that was originally formed in Southern California in 1980 by Jay Bentley (bass), Greg Graffin (vocals), Brett Gurewitz (guitars) and Jay Ziskrout (drums). This band is often credited for leading the revival of punk rock during the late 1980s, as well as influencing a large number of other punk and rock musicians throughout their career.

They are known for their socially conscious lyrics and the ability to express their ideology with the use of metaphor, an advanced vocabulary and vocal harmonies known as the "oozin aahs". Bad Religion songs deal with matters of personal as well as political responsibility, and despite the band's moniker, deal more with freedom than atheism.
Wiki Link

One of their song, a fan favorite and a huge re-released single on their first Atlantic record is called 21st Century Digital Boy and fits in particularly well with some of the CFC crowd.
I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live (or read)
But I've got a lot of toys,
My daddy is lazy middle class intellectual,
My mommy's on valium,
She's so ineffectual,
Ain't life a mystery?
There's a lot of live versions of that song dating back to 1990 and there's a bad made-for MTV video, but I choose this version of a rock fest in Germany in 2002. great energy and great lyrics.

I'll search for more good stuff!

soul_warrior said:
stevenpfo - nothing more to say > :worship:
and a very good post too :goodjob:
maybe (as you've got 30 hours to go ;)) you can give us some more?

your wish is my command :p

I didn't add any Crass earlier because it's pretty hard to find Crass live. They were big into video editing back in the day. They did all their own stuff. Here's one of their songs. It's the first song of their "Stations of the Crass" album. I wish I could find "White Punks on Hope". It's the second song and I think it's a bit better. Anyways, here's the song:

Crass - Mother Earth.

If you thought that was annoying 70-80's anarcho-punk ... Try this on for size:

Dirt - After the Dance. It's another one of those bands that I knew was horrible but I couldn't stop listening.

During the 90's Steve Ignorant from Crass formed a new band called the Stratford Mercenaries. They had a sweet song called teh Stratford Blues. I haven't been able to find anything since. Until now. IOt's another cover of Big A Little A. It's live, it's Steve Ignorant and it's a good copy of Big A. Enjoy.

Stratford Mercenaries - Big A Little A.

Jughead's Revenge - Rules Don't Apply. This is a decent song but they have way better ones. I haven't found any videos of em though. Most likely because I think they came out with thier last album and broke up before tehy even toured. They reigned as my favorite band for awhile back in the day.

Good Riddance - Mother Superior. And then there was Good Riddance. I've seen em live 3 times and they just reformed their band. This is actually a pretty good recording. I hope they do some good things now that they're back together. They had about 3 albums before they broke up that were good ... But I just couldn't get into em. Theit first 2-3 albums were awesome. That reminds me of Rise Against. Just couldn't get into any of their stuff after their first 1-2 albums.

I have to represent the heavy metal-punk bands at least a bit here. These guys are pretty good for working out too. It gets ya pumped up. Good for dancing to aswell.

Death By Stereo - Entombed We Collide.

Stevenpfo said:
I concur!! :D

Ram have you considered taking all these songs to the OP? It would be cool if we could access the tunes there (like El J's cookbook) because this will be a long thread, in my estimation.

I would like to personally thank all of you for making my day. I don't know what it was but some of the songs you all posted really hit me today. Awesome stuff.

So birthday boy Ram, Soul Warrior, IronDuck, Plotinus, Ovi, Bartleby, Till, Acechilla, C~G,Che Guava, Taliesin, Noncom, WerBack3>>, Narz, mangxema. De Lormier and Stevenpfo. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'll leave you with some teen angst and rebellion. We've all been there and these are two songs changed my view of life forever.

The Who starting it off with My Generation on The Smothers Brothers Show 5:12

Springsteen and the E St. Band doing Rosalita live 1978. 9:31 Specifically these lines...
But now you're sad your mama's mad
And your papa says he knows that I don't have any money
Tell him this is last chance to get his daughter in a fine romance
Because a record company Rosie just gave me a big advance
..... Waaaaah! Whooo..

Great Lightnin' Hopkins clip back there. I actually prefer the Them's version of that song! But I have to post another Lightnin' track.

Hopkins was one of the real greats of post-war Blues. Thanks to his canny business acumen and - shall we say - fluid attitude to recording contracts in the 1960s, he managed to become probably the most recorded blues artist of all time. Over-recorded, perhaps. He was the Leibniz of the blues. And in his own modest opinion, if you owned any of his vast output, you didn't need any other blues records - because Lightnin' was the man!

This video is from 1964, and in my opinion it is simply the coolest thing ever committed to tape. Chuck Berry is cool. Johnny Cash is very cool. But this guy out-cools both of them put together without even trying. This song could have been rock and roll, but he just can't be bothered. We're talking old school here.

Mojo Hand - Lightnin' Hopkins

Awesome contributions so far :goodjob:

Well, let's dip into some Heavy Metal now :)

Balls to the Wall - Accept was pretty much the song that originally got me into Heavy Metal. Still one if my favourite songs. I think it's safe to say that Accept is easily among (if not the) best german Metal bands ever.

Another Song by them Fast as a Shark is often considered the birth of Speed Metal. Unfortunately on this Version the german folk-song intro followed by an ear-splitting scream that used to drive my mom insane isn't played :( The sound quality isn't too great either, but I think you'll get the idea :)

Yet another Accept Song: Metal Heart notice the guitar solo playing Beethoven's "Für Elise" at about 3:00 :lol: Absolutely classic

Plotinus said:
[Rambuchan] Some of these clips are wonderful social documents.

[..]

This is a traditional work song. The recording is from 1945, miraculously in colour. In some of the close-ups you can see the scar from when someone tried to cut his throat. Check out the accelerating guitar work - on a twelve-string. The man had fingers like sausages.

Pick A Bale Of Cotton - Leadbelly
Rare to see these work songs performed. Nice find! That was quite an astonishing performance. But it wasn't the finger work, nor accelerating guitar work that caught me. It was the steely, deadpan, lifeless look in his eye throughout, which didn't change at all. I'm wondering what you saw in that expression? Seemed to me a kind of shutters down approach, going through the motions whilst remaining numb and a kind of mechanical work ethic. No emotion, no emphasis, no embellishment, just working on the song. I'd like to see more of these if you can dig any out.
Plotinus said:
Finally, Nirvana's cover of a song that Leadbelly made famous. It was an old folk song even when he covered it, usually known as In The Pines. Nirvana's version follows Leadbelly's very closely. I can't decide which version is better. Cobain screams the lyrics with a pain that Leadbelly never put into it - but Leadbelly's soft-spoken rendering, with a simple guitar accompaniment, is actually even scarier in its subtlety. If you get a chance, make sure you listen to the original. It's on YouTube too, but in audio only (of course), so I haven't linked to it.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night? - Nirvana
From Leadbelly's blues and work songs to Nirvana. Deft thread work Plotinus! :D

I found this Nirvana clip:

Kurt Cobain Getting Bashed in the Face by Bouncer. [0.50]

I loved Nirvana when I was a teenager. They came about when we were coming about with teen angst, or thereabouts. They gave a voice to our rage and energy. So here are somemore:

Smells Like Teen Spirit (music video) [4.56]

Dumb [2.46]

Lithium [4.18]

Stevenpfo: Brilliant post man. I'll be honest, I didn't get to work my way through it all and I hadn't heard of Propagandhi before, so thanks for the education. They rock pretty damn hard and I'll be digging out some punk that we got into when younger, just a bit later on.

The spirit of your post was most appreciated and I'm glad these clips brought some joy. Thanks a lot and hope you made it back in one piece. Did you? Here is one band that coloured my early life in a big way and made us all happy, just as those bands you linked to did for you. These guys are somewhat punk in music style, but they crossed over into many other genres and were, well, more musical and less political. Spanish influence, some 'popness', arguably grudgey, always kinky and often raging, so hard to place, but they still blow me away today.......The Pixies

Pixies - Vamos < Crazy feedback!!!
[3.33]

Pixies - Tame < check the crowd in this one.
[2.00]

Pixies - Gouge Away < I heard an excellent techno remix of this recently, not sure who did it though.
[2.48]

Pixies - Is She Weird?
[3.06]

Pixies - Hey
[3.55]

Pixies - Where's My Mind
[3.20]

Pixies - Debaser (music video)
[2.55]

Pixies - Velouria
[3.44]

Top Bottom