YouTube Music

[KaeptnOvi] I can't think what possessed Rammstein to try The Model - I have to say that's dire compared to the original. But each to his own!

Rambuchan said:
And no one has posted any AC-DC yet!

Check post 50 again!

Oh, a song?

Here's an amazing performance by the man who, to all intents and purposes, invented the way the electric guitar is played. T-Bone Walker was one of the most original musicians of the twentieth century: he combined traditional Texas country blues with sophisticated swinging 40s big bands, threw in his revolutionary electric guitar licks, and created a completely new sound. BB King often admits to being little more than a T-Bone Walker imitator, and of course through him, Chuck Berry (hugely influenced by Walker), and a host of others, this style of playing passed into rock and beyond. If you want to know where Hendrix and Slash got it from originally, this is the place to start...

Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong - T-Bone Walker

See how he moves his hands even as each note fades, as if drawing them out of the air itself - the man is an artist.

Rambuchan said:
Also, it'd be nice to have info for each link, like:
~ Length of time of clip
~ Date
~ Venue
Or is that all too much?

edit: Link to posts, like C&C forum libraries? Or link to clips?

sounds pretty good, I'd go with links to posts so people can jump quickly to the explanations and more details :)

And no one has posted any AC-DC yet!
well, whomp did..kinda :)

[-oblivion-] Fantastic Animals track. I have a recording somewhere of Leadbelly singing House of the Rising Sun, but their version was better! Surely one of the most exciting organ solos in pop. And Eric Burdon's delivery to the camera is fantastic - such authority at just 23.

Here are some more British Invasion clips...

The Mighty Quinn - Manfred Mann

I'm Going Home - Ten Years After (at Woodstock!)

Whatcha Gonna Do About It? - The Small Faces

Oh Well - Peter Green

Nights In White Satin - The Moody Blues

I made a start on putting a list together in the OP. It's going to take a while to finish it, and there are some clips posted that I can't quite decide what genres to put into, but do please keep hitting us with more clips!

-----

Not enough HIP-HOP & RAP going on here. So here are some old skool classics:

The Adventure of Grandmaster Flash < Vintage Turntablism and some badass breakdancing. :yup:

Grandmaster Flash (born Joseph Saddler on January 1, 1958 in Bridgetown, Barbados) is a hip hop musician and DJ; one of the pioneers of hip-hop DJing, cutting, and mixing.

Saddler's family migrated to the United States, and he grew up in the Bronx. He became involved in the earliest New York DJ scene, attending parties set up by early luminaries. Learning from Pete Jones and Kool Herc, he used duplicate copies of a single record and two turntables (for cutting) but added a dexterous manual edit with a mixer to promote the break (the ordinary playing of the record would be interrupted to overlay the break, the break could be repeated by using the mixer to switch channels while the second record was spun back). Flash got his nickname in school due to the fact that he hung around with another guy named Gordon (from Flash Gordon) and "Grandmaster" originated from after playing a party and being approached by someone who said he was the equivalent of a chess grandmaster. He also invented the technique initially called cutting, which was developed by Grand Wizard Theodore into scratching (AMG).

lazy wiki link

Run DMC ~ It's Like That (music video) < More wild break dancing.

Tone Loc ~ Funky Cold Medina (music video)

Tone Loc ~ Wild Thing (music video)

N.W.A. ~ Straight Outta Compton (music video)

N.W.A. ~ Express Yourself (music video)
"I'm expressing with my full capabilities, and now I'm livin' in correctional facilities."

N.W.A. ("Niggaz With Attitude") was a hip hop group that was formed in Compton, California in 1986, and disbanded in 1991.

Over the course of the five years the group was together, they continually redefined the face of West Coast hip hop in both lyrical and instrumental ways. N.W.A. was one of the first gangsta rap groups to achieve widespread commercial success without radio airplay or many other conventional mainstream promotions.

Their second album, Straight Outta Compton, marked the beginning of the new gangsta rap era as the production and lyrics were revolutionary with respect to the previous early 1980s releases of the genre. Many of the band members have gone on to lead successful solo careers.

Widely understood to be a drug-dealer, Eazy-E began Ruthless Records. Ice Cube had already written a song for him, "Boyz-N-Tha-Hood", and when one of the bands on his label rejected it, Eazy-E decided to rap it himself. He formed the "Niggaz With Attitude" (N.W.A.) with Ice Cube and Tom van Vooren as the MCs and former World Class Wreckin' Cru members Dr. Dre and DJ Yella as producers as well as rappers Arabian Prince and The D.O.C.. Eazy-E released the party album N.W.A. and the Posse on his Ruthless Records label. Although marketed as N.W.A. debut album, half the songs didn't feature N.W.A., but rather a loose connection of artists on Ruthless Records. After this, for unknown reasons Arabian Prince and The D.O.C. were no longer in N.W.A., but both continued to ghostwrite for the group. MC Ren was added to N.W.A. in 1988, after Arabian Prince and The D.O.C left the group.

lazy wiki link

The Byrds-Turn Turn Turn
Originally by Pete Seeger, they do a nice cover of it, possibly integrating the only Bible tracts that I ever found nice.

Johnny Fu**ing Cash-Man in Black
Awesome song, and how everyone should live their lives.

Bob Dylan-Subterranean Homesick Blues
Iconic song, iconic video, iconic guy.

Jefferson Airplane-Somebody To Love
Awesome song, awith Grace Slick :love:

Alice Cooper-Poison
Not work Safe.
AAwesome song with a good video, but I couldn't find the cesnored version, so there's some stuff you might not want your kids to see.

Blues Brothers-Rawhide
From the Blues Brothers film, the genre-defying cover of Rawhide.

Ahem :blush:

Can't do them all mate! Excellent contributions. Going to check those out pronto!

edit:

And how, may I ask dear souly, could you forget this guy? :nono:

Afrika Bambaataa - Just Get Up and dance

Afrika Bambaataa & James Brown - Unity

[0.52] Clip from his Zulu Nation Parties

Afrika Bambaataa (born Kevin Donovan on April 17 or October 4, 1957 or 1960)[1] is a DJ and community leader from the South Bronx, who was instrumental in the early development of hip hop throughout the 1970s.

During Bambaataa's early years, he was a founding member of the Bronx River Projects-area street gang, The Savage Seven. Due to the explosive growth of the gang, it later became known as the Black Spades, and he rose to the position of Division Leader. After a life-changing visit to Africa, he changed his name to Afrika Bambaataa Aasim. Bambaataa was influenced by the depiction of the Zulu warriors attacking British troops at Rorke's Drift in the Michael Caine film Zulu.

After the visit, Bambaataa decided to use his leadership to turn those involved in the gang life into something more positive to the community. This began the development of The Organization, which soon later became known as the Zulu Nation, a group of racially and politically aware rappers, B-boys, graffiti artists and other people involved in hip hop culture that gained fame in the early eighties to mid nineties. By 1977, inspired by DJ Kool Herc, Bambaataa had begun organizing block parties all around the South Bronx, and he was soon renowned as one of the best DJs in the business. In 1980, he produced Soul Sonic Force's landmark single, "Zulu Nation Throwdown".

In 1982, Bambaataa organized the very first European hip hop tour....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrika_Bambaataa

Genre:
Chicago, its neighborhoods and the music.
In music, Louis Armstrong revolutionized jazz while living in the Bronzeville neighborhood; Thomas A. Dorsey "invented" gospel and Mahalia Jackson popularized the form; Muddy Waters, Howlin'Wolf, Willie Dixon, Hound Dog Taylor, and others re-invented the Blues in West and South side clubs; and Nat King Cole seamlessly fused jazz and popular music.

Many Chicago jazz enthusiasts will remember when the South Side of Chicago was the center of jazz in the Midwest. Hyde Park was a part of this rich history of jazz; during the 1940s and 1950s, jazz flourished here and in our neighboring Woodlawn community. Hyde Park and Woodlawn became the center of jazz for the City of Chicago and arguably the Midwest.

It was an era when the great jazz musicians of the day played on 47th and Drexel at he Sutherland Hotel, and the legendary Bee Hive Lounge on 55th Street, along with the Pershing Lounge on 63rd Street. There were many smaller clubs on 51st, 53rd, and 63rd Streets, where you could listen to jazz on any given weekend until 4 or even 5 am in the morning. It was an era when the great jazz musicians of the day, including Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, and many, many others played to huge standing room only crowds who came to Hyde Park and Woodlawn to hear the best jazz sounds of those days. As one "old timer" has said, Hyde Park/Woodlawn was where it all happened...there was nothing but jazz everywhere you went. It was wonderful."

One of the last bastions of live blues on the South Side, the Checkerboard Lounge was owned by blues great Buddy Guy in the 1970s and early 80's. the club hosted memorable jam sessions featuring visiting rockers such as the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and Eric Clapton as well as blues legends Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Junior Wells, B.B. King, and Buddy Guy, who gave up his interest after a dispute with the building's landlord. L.C. Thurman became the proprietor , and continues in that capacity at the new location. The old Checkerboard Lounge, 423 E 43rd St-E Muddy Waters Dr. was such a landmark in the Bronzeville neighborhood that the city designated several blocks of 43rd as "Muddy Waters Drive." But the building fell into disrepair, with the walls structurally unsound and the ceiling sagging. It was closed by the city in 2003, and news that the club might reopen in Hyde Park rather than Bronzeville was greeted with picketing in December 2003 by a group called Friends of the Checkerboard. Opposition to the move faded when Thurman's efforts to relocate in Bronzeville were unsuccessful. Buddy Guy went on to open Buddy Guy's Legends in the South Loop neighborhood where on any given night a legend will stroll in just to jam. Why? Because they can.

Buddy Guy playing a song everyone can sing. Man, can he strum a guitar!
Sweet Home Chicago5:44
Junior Wells on the harp and Buddy Guy on lead at Theresa&#8217;s Lounge on the Westside of Chicago.
Cryin&#8217; Shame 3:44

Wiki said:
The first performance of The Smashing Pumpkins was on July 9, 1988 at the Polish bar Chicago 21. However, this performance only included Corgan and Iha with a drum machine.[7] On August 10, 1988, the band played for the first time as a trio at the Avalon Nightclub.[8] After this show, Cabaret Metro, in the Wrigleyville neighborhood, owner Joe Shanahan agreed to book the band provided they threw out the drum machine and recruit a live drummer. Jazz drummer Jimmy Chamberlin was recruited for the band after a recommendation from a friend of Corgan's.[8] The addition of Chamberlin was at first an unlikely match, as Chamberlin knew nothing of alternative music at the time. As Corgan recalled of the period, "We were completely into the sad-rock, Cure kind of thing. It took about two or three practices before I realized that the power in his playing was something that enabled us to rock harder than we could ever have imagined". On October 5, 1988, the complete band took the stage for the first time at the Cabaret Metro. Although not an official member of the band at this point, Chamberlin would soon be announced as such, and the complete four-person lineup from this first show at the Metro would be unchanged for the next seven years.

Chicago&#8217;s Smashing Pumpkins
Tonight, Tonight 4:30

From my hometown of Oak Park The Freddy Jones Band playing acoustic at a radio station.
Daydream 5:13

Don't let me bore you with too much blues, but here's one that had to go in. This is roots of a different kind.

Remember I said that all modern guitar comes from T-Bone Walker? Well, this is where he got it from. Lonnie Johnson (1894-1970) was a giant of 1920s music. He played with all the jazz greats of the era - Duke Ellington, Eddie Lang, Louis Armstrong - and made plenty of jazzy blues records of his own. He was famous for both his beautifully clear diction (in an age when you couldn't make out the words on most records) and his incredibly fast and accurate guitar style. He was extremely influential on the more sophisticated end of the blues market for decades. He was also a big influence on Robert Johnson (no relation), who recorded a couple of songs in imitation of his style. And when T-Bone Walker went electric, the style of Lonnie Johnson and his imitators was his main model.

He fell out of favour in the 1930s and 40s and ended up mopping floors as a janitor. Thankfully he was rediscovered in the 1960s - although his sophisticated style wasn't really to the tastes of the folksy stuff which was fashionable then, and he wasn't playing as well as he had in his heyday. But still, here's a clip of him in action in the mid-60s, doing pretty damned well given that the backing band consists of Chicago session musicians more used to playing with Muddy Waters and his ilk (that's Willie Dixon on bass!). This is a beautiful song, but the really nice thing about it is that he just looks so happy to be performing it.

Another Night To Cry - Lonnie Johnson

Now here's a vintage Reggae boy (who passed away a few months ago). He is often seen as one of the frontrunners in the creation of Ska, reggae ska that is, not punk ska, which was influenced by his music but isn't the same. Another to look to for such innovation is Ernest Ranglin, who was Bob Marley's guitar teacher and is one of the few musicians around who blends jazz and reggae. Anyway....

Desmond Dekker

The Israelites

....years on from that....Rude Boy Train and there's also the infectous Get Up Edina!! (cuts short).
Pity they don't have vintage clips of him performing these, the synths in this gig are a bit cheesy. But not cheesy enough to hold him down!

Nice old UK shot music video for Please Do not Bend.

Here's a British band and tune influenced by Desmond Dekker...

The Specials - Ghost Town (original music video).

----

Plotinus: Do please keep boring us with the Blues.

More blues coming up, then.

Women don't come much more powerful than this. I don't know much about Sippie Wallace, except that she was a star during the heyday of "classic blues" in the 1920s, when far more female blues artists were recorded than men. Here she is in the 1960s still belting them out, thanks to Bonnie Raitt, who looked her up, discovered that she wasn't dead after all, and took her to a record company. She is alarmingly reminiscent of my girlfriend's mother, who would probably approve of this song.

Women Be Wise - Sippie Wallace

Interesting choice of song there Plotinus.

Here's another powerful woman. YouTube is sadly short on clips of her, especially vintage ones, but these are two good examples of her style. If any of you have seen or have a copy of 'No Direction Home: Bob Dylan - A Martin Scorsese Picture' then there is one amazing performance of her's in some vintage footage there.

Odetta

Careless Love

The Midnight Special

Odetta (b. December 31, 1930) is an African-American singer and guitarist whose repertoire consists largely of American folk music, blues, jazz, and spirituals. She was an important figure in the American folk music revival of the 1950s and 1960s, and a formative influence on artists such as Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, and Janis Joplin.

wiki link
You can see from that brief wiki paragraph why Bob Dylan mentioned her influence in his interviews with Scorsese.

Genre: Grunge
wiki said:
Grunge was an early defining musical phenomenon of the 1990s which distinguished 1990s rock music from that of the 1980s
and from my persepective mostly certainly has not been replicated this decade.

We haven&#8217;t given the other grunge bands of the 90&#8217;s their proper due so here&#8217;s a few.

Stone Temple Pilots
Man, I just love this song.
Interstate Love Song 3:33
Poignant song. The lyrics are inspired by a woman kidnapped and murdered. The song is more about a metaphor for a lost, obsessive relationship.
Plush acoustic 3:34

Cracker
For my Euro friends and my angel in black named Sarka who I met in Prague 5 years ago. :mischief:
Euro Trash Girl 9:44

Smashing Pumpkins
Bullet with Butterfly wings 4:17

Soundgarden
Black hole sun 5:18

Pearl Jam
Black "live" 7:41

Some more.

I'll go back to my roots, to the land of Moli&#232;re, France! Belgium has also been a great source for music over the years! :goodjob:

Indochine is french new-wave band formed in 1981. They achieved success with a fresh form of new-wave sound with a french twist that spreaded trought France, Qu&#233;bec and Europe. Anglo-Saxon music connoisseur often compare them to the English band The Cure.

Wiki Lnk

Here's a great-looking clip, out of their 1993 album Un jour dans notre vie, Savoure le Rouge. (4:20)

Plastic Bertrand is a great Belgian singer/entertainer who I can best describe as the French-speaking equivalent of Johnny Rotten, just waaayyy more cheesy and willing to play the game for the fun of it. It sometimes looks as all being a big joke to him. He's sublime!

Wiki Link

This clip is from Top of the Pops in 1978. Plastic performs his hit single &#199;a plane pour moi! (2:47)

Zebda is a French music group from Toulouse. The group consists of seven musicians who met for the first time in 1985. The name of the group, the Arabic word for butter (or beurre in French), is a play on the use of the word beur in French slang to refer to Arabs. Several of the group's members are of North African descent.

Their music is influenced by these roots as well as music from all over the world, for example reggae, rap, ra&#239; and rock, and their lyrics deal with issues affecting the Arab population in France (amongst other things).

Wiki Link

I tried to find videos or performances of some of their better songs, but all I could find is the video for their 1998 hit Tomber la chemise, but that's still good! :goodjob: (4:19)

Manu Chao, from France, sings in French, Spanish, Arabic, Galician, Portuguese, English, and Wolof, often mixing them in the same song. His music has many influences: rock, French chanson, Iberoamerican salsa, reggae, and ska, and Algerian ra&#239;. These influences were obtained from immigrants in France, his Iberian relations, and foremost his travels in Mesoamerica as a wandering nomad following the disbanding of Mano Negra.

Wiki Link

I could have picked a Mano negra video, or one of many of Manu's song. The guy is a great, much like Beck. Here's Merry Blues! (3:41)

I went looking for Boris Vian videos and was sad to see that there's nothing of great value on youtube of this genius. Luckily, there's more love for Vian's contemporary, Jacques Brel.

Jacques Brel (April 8, 1929 &#8211; October 9, 1978) was a respected Belgian French-speaking singer and author-composer, considered by many as a poet as well, given the power of his lyrics. Known in the anglophone world for the translations of his songs, he is also remembered in French-speaking countries as an actor and director.

Wiki Link

Ne me quitte pas, is probably Brel's most known song. Intense. (4:12)

Madeleine is my favorite song of Brel these days. I look like a freak in traffic when I sing this one! &#201;motions! (2:35)

This is fun! I'll do some Qu&#233;bec artists later.

Top Bottom