YouTube Music

Ram, you are the motherfreaking MAN when it comes to thread ideas!

Here's some of my stuff:

Hip Hop:

Common-Resurrection

Common-Real People (live on David Letterman Show) EXCELLENT Vid.

Common-I Used To Love H.E.R.

Common feat. Floetry-Superstar

Common-6th Sense

Common-Come Close

Yes, I am a Common fan!:D He's not the only hip hop I like, but a good deal of it nonetheless.

JAZZ:

Herbie Hancock-Maiden Voyage
This isn't a music video per se, its really just a BS video of nature so that you can listen to the song, but since its such a good song, i'll post it any way.

Herbie Hancock-Maiden Voyage (Live 1986 at Mt. Fuji Jazz festival) Part 1
Performing alongside Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Ron Carter and Tony Williams.

Herbie Hancock-Maiden Voyage (Live 1986 at Mt. Fuji Jazz festival) Part 2

John Coltrane Quartet-Afro Blue (EXCELLENT VID. Must see.)

Miles Davis, John Coltrane-So What

John Coltrane-Alabama

John Coltrane-My Favorite Things

John Coltrane-Central Park West
Another BS video with nothing to look at, but man do I love this song. A low-key wonderland which never fails to be awesome.

Miles Davis Quintet-Footprints

Miles Davis & Co. At the 1970 Isle of Wight festival

Herbie Hancock-I thought it was you

Thats all for now!:)

I'm not gonna let this one die!

Dawgphood001 said:
I'm not gonna let this one die!
It's a keeper kid. It's not going anywhere.

Thanks again to everyone for a great day of music. :D

Oh, oh, oh. Coming with some big jazz guns there Dawgphood001. Much respect.

De Lorimier said:
Ne me quitte pas, is probably Brel's most known song. Intense. (4:12)
There's a reason why it's his most well known. It certainly slays me everytime I hear it and I know I'm not alone. But really, big thanks dude, I've never seen him sing it before. What a performance there! Wow! And what big teeth he has! Double wow!

Whomp said:
It's a keeper kid. It's not going anywhere.

Thanks again to everyone for a great day of music. :D
Quite right Whompovich. I ain't even begun on that fonkay sheeed yet.

It was indeed a great day of music. Thanks folks. I rocked my nuts off!! :lol:

---

edit:

It just feels wrong not posting a clip. So here is one of my favourite jazzmen for Dawgphood001 and any other jazz lovers out there.

Cannonball Adderley

Primitivo (1962)

Jive Samba (1962)

Work Song (1962)

What a shame there aren't clips for "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" and "Walk Tall".

Julian Edwin "Cannonball" Adderley (September 15, 1928 - August 8, 1975), originally from Tampa, Florida, was a jazz alto saxophonist of the small combo era of the 1950s and 1960s.

Cannonball was a local legend in Florida until he moved to New York in 1955. He joined the Miles Davis sextet in 1957, around the time that John Coltrane left the band to join Thelonious Monk's group, which Coltrane would return from in 1958. Adderley played on the seminal Davis records, Milestones and Kind of Blue. Davis had this to say of Adderley's style, "He had a certain spirit. You couldn't put your finger on it, but it was there in his playing every night".

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet featured Cannonball on alto sax and his brother Nat Adderley on cornet. Adderley's first quintet was not very successful. However, after leaving Davis' group, he reformed another, again with his brother, which enjoyed more success. The Quintet (which later became the Sextet) and Cannonball's other combos and groups included such noted musicians as pianists Bobby Timmons, Victor Feldman and Joe Zawinul (later of Weather Report), bassist Sam Jones, drummer Louis Hayes and saxophonists Charles Lloyd and Yusef Lateef. The group was noteworthy towards the end of the 1960's for achieving crossover success with pop audiences, without making artistic concessions.

The nickname "Cannonball" was a butchered version of "cannibal", a childhood nickname for the portly saxophonist. An articulate speaker with an easy manner, Cannonball educated, amused, and informed his audiences in clubs and on television about the art and moods of jazz (he was a music teacher before beginning his jazz career). His professional career was long established prior to teaching applied instrumental music classes at Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. By the end of 1960s, Adderley's playing began to reflect the influence of the electric jazz avant-garde, and Miles Davis' experiments on B!tches Brew. On his albums from this period, such as The Price You Got to Pay to Be Free he began doubling on soprano saxophone, showing the influence of John Coltrane and Wayne Shorter. Joe Zawinul left his band in the early seventies to be replaced by George Duke.

Adderley died of a stroke in 1975.

link to you know where

great thread, Rambuchan :goodjob:

here is my little contribution from a band that I really loved in the late 80s and early 90's. Went to watch one of their live concerts in Munich in 1987 and it was brilliant.

Simple Minds:
Belfast Child

Waterfront

and one more video from the 80's, when this band wasn't famous yet. It was when I discovered them, at the Live Aid concert at Wembley in 1985. The performance was great and I really liked their early days, before they became too famous and mainstream.

U2 - Bad

Rambuchan said:
Oh, oh, oh. Coming with some big jazz guns there Dawgphood001. Much respect.

There's a reason why it's his most well known. It certainly slays me everytime I hear it and I know I'm not alone. But really, big thanks dude, I've never seen him sing it before. What a performance there! Wow! And what big teeth he has! Double wow!

Quite right Whompovich. I ain't even begun on that fonkay sheeed yet.

It was indeed a great day of music. Thanks folks. I rocked my nuts off!! :lol:

---

edit:

It just feels wrong not posting a clip. So here is one of my favourite jazzmen for Dawgphood001 and any other jazz lovers out there.

Cannonball Adderley

Primitivo (1962)

Jive Samba (1962)

Work Song (1962)

What a shame there aren't clips for "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" and "Walk Tall".

Thanks for the Cannonball Adderly!

I had only previously heard his work on Kind of Blue, but man, this stuff is awesome.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? :)

Love some of the stuff! Nice links to Specials, Cracker, Afrika Bambaattaa.

In fact, while looking for Bambatta's collaboration w/ John Lydon, I came across this nugget:

Negativeland - Time Zones... the video sucks, but its a great bit of noise.

Then I found what I was looking for: John Lydon and Afrika Bambaattaa: World Destruction

A little more Johnny, probably my favorite PiL song... Rise

Now, to shift gears... The greatest anti-video of all-time: The Replacements - Bastards of Young

Oi, give it for Nellie the Elephant... God, I love these guys. Seen them live twice and they are nuts.

How about some modern perform arts from the West Coast? :) My Barbarian-Unicorns LA (google em', the videos are much better at their website)

Of course, given my handle, I have to include Some Shane. :) The Pogues - Dirty Old Town, very uplifting.

I have a joke for you: I went to the record store, I asked for Mojo Nixon, they said "HE DON'T WORK HERE"... oh yes, the Dead Milkmen-Punk Rock Girl

OK, never seen this, its not the official video, but its a riot! Some guy lipsyncs the Dead Milkmen's classic "Stuart"!

Next, we have the creepiest 4 minutes of children video ever! It still scares my son.

Be Your Own Pet-Damn Damn Leash... one of my favorite new acts.

Another live clip, but another new artist I love: Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins-Run Devil Run/The Big Guns (Letterman)

WOW, just stumbled on this... Ok, so Tim Armstrong (Rancid, OpIvy) has a solo album that just came out. Its old time ska. OpIvy was the greatest, truly the only, skapunk band, but this video is nice. I'm getting this album. :) Tim Armstong - Wake Up

Damn, I could go on all night! I need to stop.

Great thread and I love seeing some of the stuff y'all have posted! :)

[ironduck] That Bessie Smith film is unbelievable. That is the best thing posted on this thread so far. I never even heard of it. I am going to practise until I can dance like the man at the 5:20 mark...

[Rambuchan] Great Odetta stuff there. Now for some intertextuality: did you know that Midnight Special is a Leadbelly song? It's actually a song from one of the prisons he was in. Apparently the railway passed near the prison, and the prisoners could hear the midnight special train every night. Its light would shine through the bars on the windows into the cells, as a tantalising reminder of the outside world.

Following up on De Lorimier's post, here is some more French music from the incomparable Georges Brassens, the French answer to Bob Dylan.

Brassens (1921-81) was probably the most famous French folk singer of the twentieth century - although to call him a folk singer isn't really right. Most of his songs were his own, although he also set a lot of poetry to music. The French take him incredibly seriously as a modern poet in his own right, rather like some people did Dylan, but his songs are always more fun than that suggests, and usually extremely rude. They're quite hard to understand if your French is as bad as mine, because he uses very colloquial language and packs lots of words into each line (especially tricky in sung French, which pronounces more syllables than spoken French does).

Can you imagine anyone singing lyrics like these in English in the 1950s and 60s?

Complainte des Filles de Joie - Georges Brassens

Mysogynie à Part - Georges Brassens

Rien à Jeter - Georges Brassens

Brassens' most famous song is probably Copains d'Abord, but his most familar to English-speakers is probably La Guerre de 14-18, which Flanders and Swann covered in a brilliant English translation. Alas, there seems to be no Flanders and Swann on YouTube.

.Shane. beat me to the pogues. I was pondering last night how it's bloody christmas already and I remembered that this song is going to be on the radio five times every day from about now. It's a shame to get sick of such a wonderful song, but it happens.

Fairytale of New York

Great song that one Bartleby, despite the radio overkill.

------

Here's somemore old skool hip-hop. I used to go nuts for a particular programme on MTV in the '80s and early '90s, namely "Yo! MTV Raps!", which doesn't air anymore. But I'm not sure because I don't watch that channel anymore.

Yo! MTV Raps was a two-hour American television music video program, which ran from August 1988 to August 1995. The program (created by Ted Demme and Peter Dougherty) was the first showcase of hip hop music on the network, and was hosted by Doctor Dre (not to be confused with N.W.A alumnus Dr. Dre; the real name of Doctor Dre on Yo! MTV Raps is Andre Brown, the Dr. Dre who currently operates Aftermath Entertainment is Andre Young), Ed Lover and Fab 5 Freddy, premiering on MTV on August 6, 1988. In addition, the show featured interviews with rap stars, Friday live studio performances, and comedy. At first, it aired only once a week, but expanded to six days a week after its popularity grew. Yo! MTV Raps initially aired only on weekends (with Fab 5 Freddy as the host), but provided popular enough to warrant weekly editions (with Ed Lover, Doctor Dre as well as T-Money and Todd-1 as the hosts.)

The ratings fell after pulling Public Enemy's video By the Time I Get to Arizona in 1991, claiming it was too violent. By 1993, MTV scheduled Yo! MTV Raps to only once a week, for two hours, on Fridays after midnight. Yo! MTV Raps had its series finale on August 17, 1995. The final episode was notable from the perspective of numerous high-profile names in the world of hip-hop closed the show out with a freestyle rap session.

From 1996 to 1999, MTV repackaged it as simply Yo! the repackaged version was far more stripped down. Instead of Fab 5 Freddy, Ed Lover and Doctor Dre hosting, Yo! for the most part, had a weekly slate of special guest hosts. Angie Martinez and Fatman Scoop served as the hosts. By 1998, Yo! had no guest hosts and became a one hour program every Friday late nights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo!_MTV_Raps

As Wiki rightly notes, that show played all the best old skool hip-hopsters, like those soul_warrior and I posted previously. Many of those hip-hop artists' music videos were created specifically for the show - you know, in the days when MTV actually played music! Anyway, here is one of my favourite videos and tracks from that era and I still spin this tune in DJ sets, because the bassline is so fat and funky and it just drives the dancefloor....

Digital Underground-Humpty Dance
Music video - [5.04]

"I like my beats funky, I'm spunky, I like my oatmeal lumpy".

Funny, funny guy. edit: And note the early fashion of leaving the store tag on your hat/clothes.

I've made more updates to the list in the OP, so it will become easier to access all the clips in the thread. Still a long way to go and I haven't even touched the metal and grunge clips yet. Anyway, it will come when I find time.

----------

In the music anthropology spirit of the thread, here's something that isn't from YouTube, but it's a gem of a piece of archive footage!! Detailed and documented in the clip below is the early jazz scene in England.

"Momma Don't Allow" is a celebration by Tony Richardson and Karel Reisz of the free spirit of youth - particularly London's working class youth. The story was contrived to contrast the difference between 'Teddy Boys' and 'Toffs', with the sub-plot being that the 'Teds' were not the flick-knife wielding thugs they were made out to be in the press. The focus of the film is Wood Green jazz-club where Chris Barber, the maestro of 'trad' or 'stomp' jazz, is playing. In the mid-fifties trad jazz was the risqué underground sound of rebellion. Richardson and Reisz used it and its dive-bar image to drive the film along as the Teds see-off the late arrival of the Toffs by being better at socializing, drinking and dancing. The film was paid for by the BFI Experimental Film Fund and according the BFI records cost £425. Momma Don't Allow was Richardson's and Reisz's first contribution to the 'Free Cinema' movement. The film is 21mins and 17secs long.

http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/archive/momma_dont_allow_player.html

Enjoy!

Here's some more fabulous stuff from the early days of rock and roll. Or is it blues? or jazz? Who can say?

First we have a piece from Big Joe Turner, one of the big "Blues Shouters" of the 1940s and early 1950s who helped to pave the way for rock and roll proper.

Shake, Rattle and Roll - Big Joe Turner

And some fantastic performances by Louis Jordan (1908-75), probably the most important musician of the 1940s. His style of "jump jive" was the crucial link between big band jazz and rock and roll. He was a big influence on blues too (T-Bone Walker learned an awful lot from this). Louis Jordan was massively popular. He was the first black musician to be marketed as a mainstream artist rather than just a "race" one. This was partly because his lyrics were always clever and witty. Even when he sang sad songs, they were always funny. It's an eternal scandal that this man was dropped by the record companies and the general public in the 1950s in favour of inane stuff about rocking around clocks! Jordan was still performing in the 1970s, but I think all the clips below are from his heyday in the 40s. Their existence are a testament to his popularity and also his showmanship. He wasn't the first performer to recognise that his appeal would be greatly improved by having a few pretty women on the stage, and he wouldn't be the last either...

If Elvis was the spirit of the 1950s and the Beatles the 1960s, Louis Jordan was the 1940s. Put on your zoot suit, start jivin' the girls with the hep cats, and pick up what he's putting down, daddio!

This one is (arguably) the first rock and roll record, originally released in 1945, I think.

Caldonia - Louis Jordan

Check this one out - rap, 1940s-style!

Beware, Brother, Beware - Louis Jordan

His most famous song. It may be incomprehensible now, and it was then too.

Five Guys Named Moe - Louis Jordan

He seems to have taken the blues to Mexico for this one:

Early In The Morning - Louis Jordan

Terrible picture, but the sound makes up for it:

Choo Choo Ch'Boogie - Louis Jordan

Ray Charles? Pah! Louis was mixing Gospel with Blues far earlier... Although why does he seem to think Nero was a woman?

Ain't That Just Like A Woman - Louis Jordan

The ultimate happy blues song. BB King always plays this in his live shows.

Let The Good Times Roll - Louis Jordan

Plotinus: Thanks for the Leadbelly / Odetta connection there. Didn't know about the author of the song, nor its significance. Oh and yes, it's going to be tough categorising Mr Jordan!

-----

More P-FUNK!

George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic

The Mothership Makes a Landing < What a stage show, with Dr. Funkenstein.
[6.35]

Get Up For The Down Stroke into a Medley < Serious energy.
[8.31]

Fans of Prince, The Red Hot Chili Peppers and similar sounds will be interested in hearing the second clip there. Pretty young George Clinton too.

Top Bottom