Cairo sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Stranger

Emperor
Before I went to Cairo I spent a month in Dubai where I had a great time. The people there were very friendly. Most of the people I dealt with knew very good English. I think they respected me and I respected them. I told them that out of respect for them, I will not eat pork while I was there, and I didn't. Dubai gave me a very positive impression about the Arabs.

After spending some time in Dubai I went on my planned trip to Egypt. I went in with the same respectful mentality, but the Egyptians did not show the same in return. Some people spoke English, but they pretend that they don't. I stayed in a "good" hotel, but it was not that good. Someone stoled my video camera and my pants. I complained to the hotel manager about it, but he refused to take responsibility. I immediately canceled the rest of my stay there and came back. I probably will cancel my trip to Iraq too. If Iraq is anything like Cairo, then forget it. Dubai gave me such a good impression, but Cairo ruined it.

There certainly is a diversity of experiences in that part of the world. IIRC, Dubai works very hard in being a tourist destination.

You want to be careful about complaining about levels of English-speaking ability; it can come off as arrogant.

How available was pork, if you pointed out that you weren't going to eat it?

Welcome back, Red Stranger!

If you couldn't handle Cairo, it's a good choice you didn't go to Baghdad.

Are you back with us for the foreseeable future then RS, or will you be vanishing again?

I loved Cairo. If your going to someone Else's country you should at least have a good enough grip on they're language so that you don't have to ask them to speak yours.

So you only go to countries where you speak the language well enough to carry out normal conversations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom