MGE/Chronicles CivII - music probs

Oh that's bad news :( So C&C TFD is also provided unpatched (and unpatch-able), and I can look forward to in-game video glitches?

So far I ran each game in the C&C TFD pack just long enough to see the intro videos and start a session, but no extensive playing yet.

Anyways, I also hope you get good news about Civ. It's too bad that "Pick Music" in ToT is not working for you (for me the problem is only in MGE)...

But hey, nostalgia always gets shafted.
:)

Mercator, if you could remedy this for me, I'd be in your debt. - ZM

Let's see... I had the registry settings for ToT 1.1, so I just installed ToT on the other computer and recorded all registry settings it saved. If I removed these settings again the patch wouldn't install, but with these settings it does.

I've attached a zipped .reg file with (almost) all of ToT's registry settings. You'll have to make a few changes before you import them. Open the .reg file in NotePad and replace all 4 occurrences of D:\\Games\\Test of Time with the path of Test of Time on your computer (use double backslashes!).

Edit: Removed the unnecessary uninstall key from the registry file.

Attachments

• civ2tot10.zip
    450 bytes · Views: 1,031
Mercator, thank you very much - they worked like a charm. (I deleted the uninstall key before merging, and I'm running XP.) I am now running version 1.1 without issue.

My friend came through again - I now have the entire Fantastic Worlds soundtrack - all twenty-three tracks of it! - available and working, "Pick Music" option and all.

That was both of my issues. Now I can get to actually playing. :) - ZM

23 tracks??

Hm. I better dig out my fantastic worlds CD again, haha.

In other news, I uninstalled civ chronicles, but found a TON of old registry entries, etc, for all my civ games. I scoured the reg, think I removed them all, will give it a double check before reinstalling. While we were discussing C&C I remembered some people having problems because the registry had both "normal" C&C entries and the DVD edition - this overlap apparently was not good.

I think if I scour the reg, do a clean install, I might be closer to seeing what the problem is. Fingers crossed.

So if I understand correctly you guys are able to use your original FW CD to play the MGE and ToT games in the Chronicles package -- both to play music and for the copy protection requirement?

Sounds like the FW CD is a great alternative in lieu of the Civ2 CD2 from the Chronicles package. Too bad I don't have the original FW CD :(

Anyways, I'll also try the ToT registry settings to install the latest patch for the ToT in Chronicles -- thanks Mercator. I'm surprised it works in XP as well as W98, but Zotmeister said it works...

For me, ANY Civ II original disc works perfectly. That is, ToT, Civ II, or either scenario pack. Hope that clarifies it better!

So if I understand correctly you guys are able to use your original FW CD to play the MGE and ToT games in the Chronicles package -- both to play music and for the copy protection requirement?

That's correct. It's the old Civ2 games that are installed - they recognize the old Civ2 discs. (Of course, there's another way around the copy protection, but given how good the soundtracks are, who would want to not have the disc in the drive? :) )

Sounds like the FW CD is a great alternative in lieu of the Civ2 CD2 from the Chronicles package. Too bad I don't have the original FW CD :(

The word 'alternative' isn't the one that comes to mind; 'justice' is closer :) Basically, they provided the ToT soundtrack, not the original Civ2-series soundtrack. There is a difference. (Speaking of 'justice', check your private messages.)

Anyways, I'll also try the ToT registry settings to install the latest patch for the ToT in Chronicles -- thanks Mercator. I'm surprised it works in XP as well as W98, but Zotmeister said it works...

Not surprising at all to me - the Registry hasn't changed much over the years, and besides, programs only care about the keys they themselves have put in there.

Man, it's obnoxious what we're all doing just to get all this to work right. And it's not the usual getting-old-games-to-run-right issues, but rather why-was-the-publisher-so-malicious issues. I'm thoroughly enjoying the games now, but I feel like all I paid 2K Games for is the license; it's like they made me compile the bloody source code myself to get the games to run :mad: Honestly, is put-the-latest-version-on-the-disc too much to ask? - ZM

Basically, they provided the ToT soundtrack, not the original Civ2-series soundtrack. There is a difference.

Indeed. I only noticed that a while ago. There are 2 new tracks, and they cut out a whole bunch of others. I prefer the FW soundtrack as well.

Man, it's obnoxious what we're all doing just to get all this to work right. And it's not the usual getting-old-games-to-run-right issues, but rather why-was-the-publisher-so-malicious issues.

I don't think it's malicious, but rather just really, really lazy. Around its release there were some threads here (or at Apolyton, I can't remember) including one guy from 2K Games I believe. They basically just put the existing release versions together, without any attempt at improving or fixing anything. And the Chronicles website still says it's got CiC and FW. I thought in the end they just went for classic, MGE and ToT.
I'm guessing it's probably because the only thing they even had was those things (considering the age of Civ2 and the complicated history of everyone and everything involved). I suppose the 3rd parties who release fully patched versions repackaged them themselves. But didn't Chronicles even include the patches on some CD?

And the Chronicles website still says it's got CiC and FW. I thought in the end they just went for classic, MGE and ToT.

Well, MGE as originally released actually includes CiC and FW (with the possible exception of the soundtrack), so technically the advertising is correct. What I'd heard is that they weren't going to go with MGE - which they don't advertise - at first, but someone close to the game's community got them to change their minds by explaining scenario compatibility. [Now where did I hear that?]

But didn't Chronicles even include the patches on some CD?

No sir. The extras disc has some cute Civ IV goodies and of course .pdf files of all the manuals, but no updates (not that a ToT update would have been usuable even if it WERE included). - ZM

Its disappointing, considering the content added that glorifies the community and name-checks some popular mods and big movers and shakers.

Still no word back from the tech guys. I guess I'll extend my "deadline" to two weeks, then it'll be another expensive phonecall I guess.

Hmph.

I must admit I'm also disappointed by the problems in getting Chronicles (and C&C TFD to some extent) to work. Especially with convenience having been the biggest allure.

Furthermore there's an expectation for a new recompilation to be refreshed and updated. Some of the user reviews from the Amazon page even suggest that Chronicles have been 'patched' or 'reformatted' for newer computers and operating systems...

Hey folks!

One month later, still ZERO from tech support. So I phoned up and did my best "disgruntled customer", and they're going to "look into it". Apparently.

Also raised the issue of the unpatchable patches, which I'll raise again if I get my hands on the tech guys directly.

Really seriously annoyed at this - in the time I've waited for them to do their thing, I've had two other problems with other games solved! (French map with my Supreme Commander, and a bent gameboard with a magazine I order).

This is turning into a farce.

Ok so it's now July, I phoned up Take 2 again, again its still resting with their HQ apparently.

The customer service operator was helpful enough, they sent an email off to HQ asking for an update. We can but hope that they'll reply.

Six months too late mind you, but it'll be a reply nonetheless. I hope this is the start of good news for those of us caught by the same problem.

I suggest you perhaps hook up with Shiva7, from the other thread, and both see about contacting Take 2 directly.

If they give you any response, add it to this thread, so we can at least track the progress.

Right now they just seem to be dragging their heels, its an utter joke. Ridiculous QA and atrocious customer service, and yet they'd still expect you to buy the new Civ expansion?

I thought that perhaps the few of you suffering from this problem would appreciate the "official" word.

The following is verbatim, spelling mistakes and all.

Has anyone else got a better solution? Has anyone else from UK/Europe actually tried their copy to see? At the moment I'm considering my response.

Subject
The Chronicles of Civilization

Discussion Thread
Response (Thomas Beach) 02/08/2007 01.06 PM
Hello,

The issue you are experiencinh has been passed on to the developers who are investigating it further. We can not gurantee that this issue will be fixed and can only apologise for its presence within the game.
This issue does ot take away from the actual gameplay and functionality of the game.

Customer (Entered by John Tetlow) 09/05/2007 05.57 PM
The customer has rang for a update on this.

Customer (Entered by John Thomas) 11/04/2007 03.24 PM

I thought that perhaps the few of you suffering from this problem would appreciate the "official" word.

Thanks for the updates.

Has anyone else got a better solution? Has anyone else from UK/Europe actually tried their copy to see? At the moment I'm considering my response.

My girlfriend's (UK) copy is also missing the music tracks.
I'm not sure anything will help them fix it... Perhaps I should consider ripping the tracks from my CD's and putting them up online, since Chronicles buyers paid for them and didn't get them... I don't know if there's any point to asking them whether that's okay?

Top Bottom