Are we at CFC Intellectuals?

Are we at CFC Intellectuals

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but then to take this definition to mean something along the lines of 'anyone who has ever derived intellectual stimulation from something' is to make the definition worthless, which is why I think it should clearly not be read that way.
I agree with you, like I said I think it's more stringent a definition than this thread seems to give it credit for. However, I can see how it can be read in that way.

I was simply laughing at your clear, concise definition that a logical fallacy is a statement that is usually totally wrong.

I assumed you meant that you qualified under all of those, just wanted to check. So if you have a keen interest in philosophy, enjoy debate, have a high intelligence, are able to apply reason, and prefer rational arguments to emotional ones, then who stole your password?

I refuse to bandy insults with a pleb. I can see this thread is back to not being able to agree to a definition, just remember in future when someone resorts to the dictionary to define something I'm going to say that's not what it means and then talk myself round and round in circles because I'm unable to grasp the simple meaning of a word or am unable to admit I'm wrong about my definition or I'm just being an asshat delete as applicable, frankly unless this thread resorts to talking about reality I think it's dead, and pretty much ruined by the colossal ego's of some teen to mid twenty fools who can't admit what a word means is not what they thought? Nice.:rolleyes:

It was concise what did you mean, laughing at it?

I refuse to bandy insults with a pleb. I can see this thread is back to not being able to agree to a definition, just remember in future when someone resorts to the dictionary to define something I'm going to say that's not what it means and then talk myself round and round in circles because I'm unable to grasp the simple meaning of a word or am unable to admit I'm wrong about my definition or I'm just being an asshat delete as applicable, frankly unless this thread resorts to talking about reality I think it's dead, and pretty much ruined by the colossal ego's of some teen to mid twenty fools who can't admit what a word means is not what they thought? Nice.:rolleyes:

i agre with you your an intelectual. I am to, I took the wikipedia test and scorred in the high percentage!

I refuse to bandy insults with a pleb.
Then bandy them with the king (of regular CFC and MountCFC!) :king:

Seriously there needs to be a merit portion to the intellectual test. I'd say you'd need advanced degrees or are in the process of getting one to be one.

Then bandy them with a king! :king:

Seriously there needs to be a merit portion to the intellectual test. I'd say you'd need advanced degrees or are in the process of getting one to be one.

Is a Physics degree advanced, what do you mean advanced? Just so we're clear.

And s**w you your higness :)

If someone is entirely incapable of forming a coherent thought, argument, or even sentence, then they are not an intellectual.

If you are writing in your first language, and people with the same first language can't even parse your sentences, let alone discern an argument in them, then you are not an intellectual.

I'll leave it up to you to determine who I mean.

If someone is entirely incapable of forming a coherent thought, argument, or even sentence, then they are not an intellectual.

If you are writing in your first language, and people with the same first language can't even parse your sentences, let alone discern an argument in them, then you are not an intellectual.

I'll leave it up to you to determine who I mean.

Yes can you understand this?

Can you point out all the sentences you can't understand?

Your meaningless definition does not apply anyway.

Einstein was almost committed to a remedial school because he couldn't converse fluently as a kid? Do you think he warranted the title intelectual?

In fact there are probably quite a few scientists and intelectuals that have say dyslexia, aspergers or other disabilities that mean they are not the best communicaters in the world? Would you bar them on a technicallity, at the same time as handing over their Nobel prize?

In fact there are probably quite a few scientists and intelectuals that have say dyslexia, aspergers or other disabilities that mean they are not the best communicaters in the world? Would you bar them on a technicallity, at the same time as handing over their Nobel prize?

I dare say that Einstein would not be considered an intellectual if nobody understood him.

It is if you're going for your PhD!

See now that is not in the definition? Einstein would have been barred as not an intelectual as he only ever got a third class degree, and was admitted to Universities on the merit of his papers alone in fact he got refused from all the universities because of his crappy pass, so that's plainly false. many scientists of history were self taught so they're out too, some of the greatest thinkers in history such as Aristotle, Plato and Nietzsche. That's a pointless definition and it's also completely at odds with the dictionary.

I dare say that Einstein would not be considered an intellectual if nobody understood him.

Again are you saying you are have trouble understanding me?

Grow up, you got caught in false definition now your crying like a girl if you don't want to back up your arguments don't but you've done nothing but insult me since page 2 and you still haven't proven that your definition is acceptable?

Logical fallacy.

1. A dictionary is not necessarily correct

2. Throwing insults at me is not very intellectual, mr. Intellectually McIntellectual

3. I've already explained why criterion 7 is bunk, but you are either unwilling or incapable of understanding and accepting that.

Sidhe said:
So come on what is the definition of intelectual- I thank you, now go away and bother someone else, or make a decent argument, because if I'm average and this is the sum of your worth then you not even on the scale.

Several fallacies in that little snippet.

1. I've already given you a definitiib and explained why your criterion 7 that you cherish is false.

2. Insulting me does not, oh brilliant intellectual, mean anything.

Sidhe said:
And I want a detailed explanation as to why everything above is a logical fallacy?

First prove to me that you actually want said explanation.

Sidhe said:
But first I want you to admit you were wrong, the defenition of intelectual according to everyone except fifty is not what we're talking about, either concede the point or stop putting up fascile crap and spamming up the thread please.

1. just because you dont understand an argument does not make it wrong.

2. I've already explained why criterion 7 is crap.

3. Later on in THIS VERY POST I'M REPLYING TO you deride me for going with the popular judgement, and now you are screaming at me that your definition is the most popular. :crazyeyes: :lol:

Sidhe said:
And don't start spouting your usual drivel and basically flaming me, let's stick to the argument why is your definition only used by you and no one else a valid definition?

Because it avoids the problems with criterion 7 that I've already outlined.

Sidhe said:
Answer this and only this, if not don't open your mouth again and remove all doubt.

I'm puzzled by this accusation. Are you actually yelling at your computer screen? Because as for me, I just type, I don't actually open my mouth.

Sidhe said:
Also wrong another non sequitor. And you haven't porven that I don't, only that I can't spell so wrong.

Bolding and underlining by me, this literally made me laugh outloud :goodjob:

Sidhe said:
You two need to get a room ;)

I'm an exhibitionist.

Sidhe said:
Another error based on faulty definition. Non sequitor

I've already explained why your criterion is wrong. So why dont you stop standing by your dictionary and we can actually discuss the issue instead of just you randomly spouting various near-incoherent accusations about every little thing.

Sidhe said:
Resort to the popular,

Funny, because that's exactly your entire point about your stupid criterion 7.

Sidhe said:
Really get a room.

Really i'm an exhibitionist.

Sidhe said:
Also based on an erroneous definition, clarifying that you have no idea what the word means and thus have been comitting a logical fallacy ever since your first post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacies_of_definition

Wrong! The heart of the debate is about the definition of an intellectual so to accuse my argument of being incorrect because of a false definition is begging the question.

Sidhe said:
Is a Physics degree advanced, what do you mean advanced? Just so we're clear.

heh i was doing some differential equations in my head (you know, n^2[(7*!)(l/k)*5^f]...etc) and pondering the root of meaning in a variable falthusian principle where newtonian particles are the derivative of x with a deviation nth times the mean (n*m!/k). This, my friend, is advanced.

See now that is not in the definition?

This is a statement. Please stop ending every sentence you type with a question mark.

Einstein would have been barred as not an intelectual as he only ever got a third class degree so that's plainly false.

This sentences makes no sense.

many scientists of history were self taught so they're out too

Nobody said anything about being self-taught.

That's apointless definition and it's also completely at odds with the dictionary.

What definition are you talking about? Nobody posted a definition since your last post.

Yes, and so is everyone else in this thread.

Kindly point out where you couldn't understand me then?

And please, since everyones replying to me, I find that statement to be hattery of the finest ass.

This sentences makes no sense.

What was wrong with it? Are you a bit slow? Is that what the problem is?

And if you keep being a spelling and grammar nazzi I'll report you, if you don't understand a sentence fine I'll talk you through it. But I refuse to be questioned on when I'm making a questioning statement? Or am puzzled, that's just pedantry no?

Kindly point out where you couldn't understand me then?

Okay, well, here are a few recent snippets:

I find that statement to be hattery of the finest ass.

Einstein would have been barred as not an intelectual as he only ever got a third class degree, and was admitted to Universities on the merit of his papers alone in fact he got refused from all the universities because of his crappy pass, so that's plainly false.

And s**w you your higness :)

I can see this thread is back to not being able to agree to a definition, just remember in future when someone resorts to the dictionary to define something I'm going to say that's not what it means and then talk myself round and round in circles because I'm unable to grasp the simple meaning of a word or am unable to admit I'm wrong about my definition or I'm just being an asshat delete as applicable, frankly unless this thread resorts to talking about reality I think it's dead, and pretty much ruined by the colossal ego's of some teen to mid twenty fools who can't admit what a word means is not what they thought? Nice.:rolleyes:

The second part of this post is somewhat ironic when paired with the first.

Also wrong another non sequitor. And you haven't porven that I don't, only that I can't spell so wrong.

A the logcial fallacy is one of making out that you must not be an intelectual if you cannot convince someone you are,so case closed, I even put up the definition of non sequitor, but sadly downtown chose to play dumb.

It doesn't matter what he meant, it's a logical fallacy to assume someone isn't an intelectual just because someone else: fifty says so or he thinks you need to be able to convince people or you need to be able to spell, Mob Boss's entire contribution is essential a matter of his opinion, thus it's pinch of salt time, not to mention the swathes of logical fallacies such as redefining the word intelectual as meaning someone who reads books, where to begin.

I think I've made a solid case in defense of the word intelectual and myself as one, and frankly since I made the assertion I have seen no reason to be disuaded from it, other than fifty acting like a five year old as usual.

What was wrong with it? Are you a bit slow? Is that what the problem is?

Well I'm having trouble understanding what it means to be "barred as not an intellectual"

Oh my mistake I didn't realise you were ******ed? Sorry? Sincerely since everyone replied to them, you seem to be the only one having problems do you think you might be a bit slow mentally then? Sincerely as you seem to be the only one with a problem with comprehension, do you think you might have a learning disability?

hattery of the finest ass that's just a joke :lol: lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom