Should Marajuana be Legal?

Should marajuana be illegal?

• Total voters
Here. So you dont have to sign up.

Aug. 8, 2003 (Toronto) — Evidence is mounting for a true withdrawal syndrome that occurs after cessation of regular, heavy use of marijuana.

Although the consequences of withdrawal from marijuana are not as severe as those seen with other drugs such as cocaine or heroin, they are still clinically significant and worthy of assessment, said Alan Budney, PhD, associate professor of psychology and psychiatry at the University of Vermont in Burlington.

Dr. Budney spoke here today at the 111th annual conference of the American Psychological Association. He has done extensive research on dependency and withdrawal associated with heavy marijuana use. His interest in the topic was triggered by the fact that increasing numbers of people with marijuana dependency were actively seeking treatment and that many complained of withdrawal problems.

The question in the medical community has been whether there is indeed a true withdrawal syndrome, he said.

Using DSM-IV criteria to rate the dependency level of these patients and comparing it with those dependent on cocaine was revealing. Heavy marijuana users had on average 6.3 out of 9 criteria compared with 7.7 for cocaine users.

"You only need three to meet dependence. Although the dependence is lower than cocaine, its still pretty substantial," Dr. Budney said.

A previous short-term study by his lab revealed that daily users who quit for as few as three days displayed numerous withdrawal symptoms, including cravings, irritability, restlessness, headaches, loss of appetite, and depression.

In an effort to validate these findings, the researchers then launched a study that compared daily marijuana users who quit for 45 days to ex-users of the drug as a control group.

A total of 18 regular users and 12 control patients completed the study. The users smoked between one to eight times daily and were not seeking treatment to quit. Subjects were encouraged to quit for the study period by being paid increasing amounts of cash for the increasing number of days they were abstinent from the drug.

For five days prior to the quit period, smokers were told to smoke "as usual" (subjects were not given any drug by the researchers). Baseline physiology and psychological features were measured for both groups. The smokers then ceased use of marijuana for the next 45 days. Study participants phoned in almost daily to report symptoms.

Key findings revealed that the smokers had a peak of classic withdrawal symptoms by day two or three and "they stayed elevated significantly out to two or three weeks," Dr. Budney said.

There were no changes in the control group. After about three weeks, symptom levels of users were similar to those of control patients.

The researchers are now comparing withdrawal syndromes of heavy marijuana users to those of tobacco users. "We see pretty much the same pattern and same magnitude of results," over similar time courses, Dr. Budney said of the preliminary findings.

Typically, marijuana users do not show the severe psychiatric syndromes that are seen in severe opioid addiction, but this doesn't mean the syndrome isn't significant.

"There are some interesting neurobiological data that suggest what's going on in the [central nervous system] during withdrawal is really perhaps as important, if not more important than development of dependence, and [possibly] of the physical symptoms," he said.

Dr. Budney suggested that the DSM-V should include marijuana withdrawal.

Light or occasional users of the drug, such as once or twice weekly, would not experience the withdrawal effects, he said.

Dr. Budney "has done a most excellent job in bridging the gap between basic and clinical research on marijuana dependence," said James Zacny, PhD, associate professor of anesthesia at the University of Chicago and moderator of the session.

This study was funded by the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse.

APA 111th Annual Conference: Session 2081, Fellows Addresses. Presented Aug. 8, 2003.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD

Pippa Wysong is a freelance writer for Medscape.

I've seen marijuana addiction in many of my friends. What would you call a minimum of four joints a day and frequent wake and bakes? A mild distraction?

Here. So you dont have to sign up.

I've seen marijuana addiction in many of my friends. What would you call a minimum of four joints a day and frequent wake and bakes? A mild distraction?

A phaze is what I'd call it. You and your friends are how old? That study is the same one all the rehab clinics used to push their detox programs. To even suggest weed is any where near addictive as coke is laughable.

This study was funded by the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse.
That right there adds to its doubtfulness.

I'm 27. My friends are the same age, if not older and we started when we were 16. Pot alters your brain chemistry, smoke it long enough and your bound to have withdrawl symptoms. It makes sense to me.

When I decided to quit it was pretty much a no brainer as weed has very adverse effects on my mental well being.

I'm 27. My friends are the same age, if not older and we started when we were 16. Pot alters your brain chemistry, smoke it long enough and your bound to have withdrawl symptoms. It makes sense to me.

When I decided to quit it was pretty much a no brainer as weed has very adverse effects on my mental well being.

Being grumpy for a few days is not withdrawl.

No but deciding to quit, stopping for a week, being grumpy and depressed and full of maliase then starting again to find you feel better is. I really think it is addictive; perhaps less than alchohol and cigs but addictive none-the-less.

No but deciding to quit, stopping for a week, being grumpy and depressed and full of maliase then starting again to find you feel better is. I really think it is addictive; perhaps less than alchohol and cigs but addictive none-the-less.

Thats not withdrawl thats getting high coming down and getting high again. Yeah your gonna feel good you'll be high.

Personal opinion (having not read the rest of the thread):

Lots of things alter our brains, from alcohol to caffine to sugar. Although marijuana does more so than sugar, I do not think that should be a reason to ban it.

Philosophically, I think it is a matter of personal freedom. It is an activity which some people want to engage in which does not harm others, so they should be able to do it if they want. While I don't think doing drugs is smart, the law cannot save people from themselves.

Practically, people do drugs even through they are illegal, and their natural availability and demand makes it impossible to eliminate them. People can also abuse numerous substances besides typical drugs, like painkillers, medication, household cleaners, etc. The very illegality of drugs makes them valuable and attractive. People wouldn't steal and kill for drugs if they had little monetary value, and could grow their own. Legalizing drugs would make them no longer the fighting-the-man kind of dumb, but just the regular kind. Enforcing drug laws is costing more than the effects of legalization, and will never lead to any sort of permanent victory. Nothing short of making the marijuana plant extinct will make pot go away, and if we're going to make something extinct, start with mosquitos, they kill a lot more.

Maybe your brain is messed up.

I only smoke on the weekends nowadays.. some of my friends smoke a ton of the stuff, so when I happen to hang out with them on the weekend, I consume a lot of marijuana.. The next Monday at work is a bit hazy.. I call it a weed hangover ;).. but then I'm able to go without smoking the stuff for weeks with no problems.

I'm able to pick up or put away weed as I please. Do I simply have a strong will? I dunno, I couldn't really do this with caffeine.

I'm able to pick up or put away weed as I please. Do I simply have a strong will? I dunno, I couldn't really do this with caffeine.

That may be true, but many people can have an alcohol binge or two on the weekend and not drink again for a month. Does that make alcohol non-addictive?

Should Marijuana be Legal?
Fried eggs and bacon impose a much higher cost on the taxpayer than marijuana, so ban those, and make pot legal.

it shoudl definitly not be legal

"Marijuana should be legalized because alcohol and tobacco are legal"

wrong. All three of them should be illegal.

Alcohol is legal because it has been a major part of civilization since its very beginnings. To try and illegalize alcohol would be a very hard thing to do, you cant just go back on thousands of years of human history turn back the millions of drinkers. We saw this happen during prohibition; to illegalize a legal substance which is widly popular proves near impossible.

Tobacoo meanwhile has its roots inmore economic terms. Tobacco has been a profitable business since the 16th century. In fact no one admited it was truly bad for you until the 1970s. By then it had already become as commonpalce as alcohol. And as we have seen to illegalize something that is so wide spread is hard.

Marijuana on the other hand has neither the major history of alcohol, nor the large economic upbringings of tobacco.

For example, according to the US Dept. of Health 48 million americans consume alcohol atleast once per week. And there are 47 million reported regular smokers (of tobacco). Comparativly only 18.7 million americans have consumed marijuana atleast once in their lifetime.

In otherwords marijuana is not as large, not even close to being as large, as the other two in terms of consumption. To illegalize the other two would be very hard to implement. Meanwhile the continued illegalization of marijuana is much more practical.

its not a matter of "Marijuana should be legalized because alcohol and tobacco are legal", but the practicality of alcohol and tobacco's illegalization compared to marijuana's.

In otherwords marijuana is not as large, not even close to being as large, as the other two in terms of consumption. To illegalize the other two would be very hard to implement. Meanwhile the continued illegalization of marijuana is much more practical.

Yeah, practical if you consider how pragmatically they waste money.

Yeah, practical if you consider how pragmatically they waste money.

To you its a waste of moeny, to me its money well spent (though it could be spent more effectivly, as in all cases of modern bureaucracy).

To you its a waste of moeny, to me its money well spent (though it could be spent more effectivly, as in all cases of modern bureaucracy).

Money well spent on arresting and imprisoning harmless baked wastoids?

Money well spent on criminalizing a drug which can grow just about anywhere?

Money well spent on criminalizing a drug which is farless harmful than a lot of OTC stuff?

Money well spent on criminalizing something that is utterly incapable of killing anyone?

Money well spent on giving power to drug lords?

Money well spent on arresting and imprisoning harmless baked wastoids?

If you dont want the time, dont do the crime.

Money well spent on criminalizing a drug which can grow just about anywhere?

Moot point imo. We've criminalized making your own alcohol without a license, but anyone can still just bascially make alcohol in their tub.

Money well spent on criminalizing a drug which is farless harmful than a lot of OTC stuff?

Cocaine is less harmful than heroine. it doesnt matter how "harmless" it is, a drug is a drug. It alters your brain chemistry which in turn also makes you addicted. And dont tell me its not addictive because I have seen people who are addicted to it. Its semantics saying its not addictive. its like cigarettes back in the day, everyone knew they were addictive but no one admited it.

Money well spent on criminalizing something that is utterly incapable of killing anyone?

Its not about the ability to kill, its about the fact that it is a substance which can run peoples lives.

Money well spent on giving power to drug lords?

The consumer is giving power to drug lords, not the law. If the people who used the drug realized "hey we're the ones who are supporting crime" and stopped, that'd stop the drug lords.

You seemed so worried about money, how much money is lost into the illegal marijuana market each year. Tens of millions, hundreds of millions of dollars? How much of that could be saved, or used on something else, something better?
And dont tell me "well then theres a lot we can tax then" because to me making it legal just for the tax is like a parent who will let their child hurt themselves, but only if the child gives them a few cents before they do it.

So you really think it's practical to lock up stoners when the jail space could be used for REAL crooks?

Moot point imo. We've criminalized making your own alcohol without a license, but anyone can still just bascially make alcohol in their tub.

Yeah, but alcohol doesn't grow now does it?

Cocaine is less harmful than heroine. it doesnt matter how "harmless" it is, a drug is a drug.

Exactly the sort of whack logic I expected. All drugs are equal then? Lets criminalize Benadryl!:crazyeye:

It alters your brain chemistry which in turn also makes you addicted.

You know, clinically depressed people also have altered chemistry.

Other than emo kids, who in their right mind would be addicted to depression?

And dont tell me its not addictive because I have seen people who are addicted to it. Its semantics saying its not addictive. its like cigarettes back in the day, everyone knew they were addictive but no one admited it.

Addictive like masturbation is, I suppose.

In that I like doing it, but I could stop it if I so desired...

Its not about the ability to kill, its about the fact that it is a substance which can run peoples lives.

Yet again, nannying adults who are perfectly capable of choosing for their own damn selves, and determining what is right and wrong for them.

You know, workaholics can ruin their lives by being addicted to their job. Should we ban working?

The consumer is giving power to drug lords, not the law. If the people who used the drug realized "hey we're the ones who are supporting crime" and stopped, that'd stop the drug lords.

It's like you said kid, with alcohol and ciggies, people will always want it. Therefore, it's simple foolishness to tell them to drop the joint.

Besides, people can still grow their own for their own self. Should that be illegal?

You seemed so worried about money, how much money is lost into the illegal marijuana market each year. Tens of millions, hundreds of millions of dollars? How much of that could be saved, or used on something else, something better?

Here's an idea, legalize it so that the money is circulated into the mainstream economy! That way, we can also avoid having to waste money trying to enforce this unenforceable law!

Nah, screw that...

And dont tell me "well then theres a lot we can tax then" because to me making it legal just for the tax is like a parent who will let their child hurt themselves, but only if the child gives them a few cents before they do it.

Hurt themselves. Wow that's rich.

And yes, I am against sin taxes. I just want it legal, no strings attached.

Do you support putting harmless smokers in jail, filling them up and keeping the murderers and rapists on the streets?

You left out the part where we haven't criminalized the possession(legally) of alcohol and we have of marijuana. It was a completely valid point.

Cocaine is less harmful than heroine. it doesnt matter how "harmless" it is, a drug is a drug. It alters your brain chemistry which in turn also makes you addicted. And dont tell me its not addictive because I have seen people who are addicted to it. Its semantics saying its not addictive. its like cigarettes back in the day, everyone knew they were addictive but no one admited it.
We are human beings; and we can get addicted to anything . The addictive accusations are too hypocritical to even bring up.

Anything can run peoples lives, seen a video game recently? Good thing marijuana is safe. Bottom line if you can't be responsible don't use it.

Why stop a relatively harmless activity that brings happiness? Instead of making people stop, legalize it and tax it therefore taking it out of the druglords hands. Taking it off the streets and reducing violence and putting it in responsible arms.

You seemed so worried about money, how much money is lost into the illegal marijuana market each year. Tens of millions, hundreds of millions of dollars? How much of that could be saved, or used on something else, something better? it.
Uhh... EXACTLY. Legalize it.

The War on Drugs is failing, with billions of dollars dieing with it that could have been used toward our military, health care and education. We're just as much of a person as you are, government. You're not better, so you shouldn't be able to tell ME what I can put in my body.
They can't accept the fact they've been saying bull**** and spreading propaganda and lies for the past century. Everything else they've said would lose credibility, which should, so it should.

So you really think it's practical to lock up stoners when the jail space could be used for REAL crooks?

You lock up the stoners and the crooks. Its not a dilema, you can have both.

Yeah, but alcohol doesn't grow now does it?

No, but it is a byproduct of a natural chemical reaction. Humans just take it to a level where we create more than would occur under a natural setting. The same could be said about mary-jane.

Exactly the sort of whack logic I expected. All drugs are equal then? Lets criminalize Benadryl!:crazyeye:

Benadryl is an antihistamine. Marijuana and the drugs I'm talking about are psychotropic substances.

"A psychoactive drug or psychotropic substance is a chemical substance that acts primarily upon the central nervous system where it alters brain function, resulting in temporary changes in perception, mood, consciousness and behavior."

You know, clinically depressed people also have altered chemistry.

Other than emo kids, who in their right mind would be addicted to depression?

Theres two cases for clinical depression:
1) natural - its in your dna that your brain chemistry is going to be naturally off.
2) psychotropic drug use, which artifically creates an imbalance.

If you notice the first is natural, and can be remedied with medicines. The second is not natural and isn't easily medicated.

Addictive like masturbation is, I suppose.

In that I like doing it, but I could stop it if I so desired...

You seem to not understand the meaning of addiction. Addiction is where you dont want to stop, even when you want to. Meaning this: you conciously have the desire to stop, while at the same time deep down desiring that you dont stop.

By this I mean the following: you have a mental dependency. You have the feeling that you need it. You get cravings for it. We're not talkign food here, thats a real need, this is a virtual need. Sometimes this mental dependency is followed with a physical dependency where your body actually does really need the substance, because if you stopped you'll have withdrawl symptoms.

You can have a mental dependency without the physical dependency, which is why I think many people have a problem thinking marijuana is addictive drug. So many people think "hey I can stop anytime" but we all know you cant. Just as much as a regular alcohol user wont stop drinking even though he could "if he wanted to" a regular marijuana user wont just stop anytime.

Yet again, nannying adults who are perfectly capable of choosing for their own damn selves, and determining what is right and wrong for them.

You know, workaholics can ruin their lives by being addicted to their job. Should we ban working?

Work isnt a physical tangible object we can pick up and throw away. Marijuana and drugs are, they are phyiscal objects which can be destroyed.

Workaholism, if you want to consider it, would be a byproduct of psychological goings-on since childhood. Its a natural byproduct of your personality, its who you are. Drugs are not a byproduct of your natural personality, your psychological history. They are a physical object which is used to change your psychology, if only for a short time.

It's like you said kid, with alcohol and ciggies, people will always want it. Therefore, it's simple foolishness to tell them to drop the joint.

Besides, people can still grow their own for their own self. Should that be illegal?

But as we've seen in the recent decades the percentage of alcohol and tobacco usage is decreasing mainly as a result of scientific studies and education. The fact that it is entrenched now doesnt mean it will be in the future.

And I never said its something people WILL always want, its something they HAVE always wantED. Past tense. I was explaining the history of why alcohol and tobacco are legal comapred to marijuana.

Here's an idea, legalize it so that the money is circulated into the mainstream economy! That way, we can also avoid having to waste money trying to enforce this unenforceable law!

Nah, screw that...

Unenforceable? You should consider environmental laws unenforceable then, because there will always be a slim amount of pollution. It would just cost too much to remove ALL of pollution production. But just like the production of pollution we can curb it to a high degree so that its minimal, and not a major problem.

heres a theoretical question:
How many people would be on marijuana today if it had never been made illegal?

If you could find that number, and compare it to the number that are on it today we could find out if it is indeed 'unenforceable.' If we found that there is a singnificantly larger number of people who in this alternate history use marijuana in comparrison to this one, then you know that this is an enforceable law, and that the law is working. Unfourtunetly, as is the problem with any social science, we can't do this. But the point remains valid; I believe there would be a significant difference and therefore the law has been working.

I am going to bed soon, so I will only debate the "you lock stoners and crooks".
It's common knowledge that our jails are getting overcrowded, and jails that are meant to hold a couple thousand are holding three to four times as much. Tomorrow i'll look for credible evidence. Around 72 million americans have smoked pot, and according to you they should all be jailed(not that our jails could get near to holding them all). Now that's 33% of Americans, including many important who have shaped the culture and power of our country. They didn't want the time but did the crime. Why? Because marijuana laws are bogus and everyone knows it, and attention has been and should be(even more) diverted to other things.

Top Bottom