The terrain-unwise Romans

Okay, just a warning, school has given me a lot of work, and I have small amounts of spare time anyway, so expect low amounts of updates for a month or so.

They gave you copious amounts of homework at the end of May? That's a pretty evil sounding school you're at there. Unless you're in summer school.

In which case.... Don't you know summers are for catching up on game play?

They seem to give quite a bit (maybe too much) homework all year, and then do really big projects in April and May, so yes, my school is evil.

But on the bright side, they cut us some slack in June, and they don't start the "quite a bit" immediately.

And I will do some catching-up in the summer, when I have all the time in the world, and too little to kill it with.

Okay, maybe I underestimated the amount of time I have. Mostly, my time is taken up by rehersals for the school play, homework, and being forced to play other, non-computer things, but the school play is on the 31st and then I'll have more time, and I guess I always overestimate how much homework I have.

Anyway, I managed to get chapter 9 done. I have two things to say:

1. A war that involves quite a bit of action. And by "quite a bit" I mean, so far, one battle that involved me (The war is me and another civ vs. civ #3, but I will not say who these civs are). :lol:
2. DAMN THE RNG FOR ALL ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [pissed]

I don't really have time to write the entire update right now (only about 12 minutes), so you'll see it tonight. In the meantime, I will do stuff.

Chapter 9: War returns to the Mediterannean

There was a large area of water that was not cut off from the ocean seperating the main continent from the island Egypt and Russia were on, called Africa, connected to the ocean by the straits of Moscow and Hispalis. This area was called the mediterannean sea, a relatively peaceful area. But peace there would not last forever. It would last only another 30 years, in fact.

But that didn't happen yet. One of the innovations of feudalism was a weapon called a "pike". Caeser implementeed the use of this weapon, giving it- as well as better armor- to his bronze-spear-wielding soldiers.

And here is where the peace ends. In the year 560, 830 years after the end of the Russo-Egyptian War, a peace was shattered that would end up with the triggering of the War of the Mediterannean Sea:

The cause of this war was not known for sure, although it started on the exact same date as Egypt's entrance into the middle ages.

------------------------------------------
Hold on, have to go now. Be back at some point.
Okay, some point is now.
-------------------------------------------

Some wondered if something had happened at the beginning of the Egyptian middle ages that had caused this. Perhaps, it was because many of Cleo's advisors had been fired about this time due to secret thefts for their own gain, so could her new advisors be corrupt and power-hungry? No one really knows.

What is known is that they wanted help in the war. In 580, Cleo contacted Caeser with a proposition:

Caeser thought about this. He agreed with Cleo that the world probably would be a better place without Russia, he wasn't sure he wanted to enter the war. He replied, "Will you pay me to stay in the war?" The two leaders then haggled on a price for a while before agreeing on this:

They both left, preparing for war. This deal would last for 200 years, or until Russia was destroyed or one of them signed peace, whichever came first.

But, for a while, nothing interesting happened in the war, or at all.

Although things did happen outside the war, such as the founding of the Roman city of Lutetia in 590:

In 640, Caeser recieved news that Lincoln was working on a wonder, "Sun Tzu's Art of War" In New York. Caeser was also building this, in Cumae, so he wanted to know how it was progressing in New York compared to Cumae. The embassy in Washington reported this:

Good, that was much slower than the one in Cumae.

Later that same year, the first important battle in the War of the Mediterannean happened. Egyptian forces attacked the Russian city of Rostov. It was a long battle, and Caeser does not know exactly what happened to this day. But he does know that before the end of 640, The Battle of Rostov had concluded in an Egyptian victory. 1 city down, 5 to go.

Caeser hoped to get similar luck attacking Yekaterinburg, the only Russian city off of Africa. Alas, he did not.

In 650, Roman Horsemen charged at Yekaterinburg. They fought bravely against Russian spearmen, and almost defeated them, but alas, lost the battle. A new unit of spearmen appeared to take their place. A Roman Legion charged, only to be wiped out with even less sucess than the Horsemen. (Read my further attacks on Yekaterinburg and see why I hate the RNG) The siege now had run out of troops, and would need more before The Battle of Yekaterinburg ended.

10 years passed before anything happened. Then, Catherine came to Caeser, requesting peace. (No screenie, forgot to take one) "Forget it," said Caeser, "Cleo is paying me more to stay in the war." Speaking of which, shortly after Cathy's request, Egyptian forces won control of the Russian city of Novgorod.

The Battle of Yekaterinburg continued in 670 when more reinforcements arrived. Roman Catapults bombarded the city, with little, but still some, success. 1/3 of one of the spearmen units in the city was wiped out. Then came charges from the Roman Leigons. The first charge fought valiantly against the full-strength spearmen, and almost won. The second charge fought against the other, 2/3 strength spearmen unit in the city. It was a long battle, but after a week of fighting, the Roman Leigons won the battle- and a promotion. The first victory of the war has made Roman citizens eager to continue aiding the war effort. Caeser's advisor has said Rome is in a Golden Age.

Roman citizens even built Caeser's Palace a stone wall on the first floor:

"Interesting," said Caeser, "what triggers this 'Golden Age'?" "A victory from certain units, or the building of certain wonders," answered his domestic advisor, Claudius. "Does anyone else have one, or has had one?" "We do not know, although we know that the Maya got one from building the Pyramids, and we suspect Egypt has one right now from a war chariot victory." "Ah, interesting," said Caeser, "Okay, goodbye now."

One thing would probably not make the Roman citzens happy, though: Idiotic generals (a.k.a., me) accidentally left the Roman Catapults undefended, and they were destroyed by Russian Archers.

Remember Sun Tzu's art of War? Well, the Byzantines started it in Adrianople in 680. Again, Caeser wanted to know how it was progressing, and asked for a report from the embasssy in Constantinople to check out the city and see how it was doing:

Caeser laughed. He could build 3 Sun Tzus in Cumae before Theodora finished the one in Adrianople.

And as usual, the battle of Yekaterinburg continued. The half-strength Roman Legion attacked. Unfortunately, they lost the battle, almost defeating a Russian spear. Caeser was getting tired of that happening.

And Russia was definately having better luck than Caeser. Their archers were weaker than Roman Leigons, but SOMEHOW, after 2 Russian Archers were unloaded from galleys earlier, when the first attacked in The Battle of Hispalis, they barely had any casualties and defeated the Roman spear garrison, taking the city!!! (DAMN YOU, RNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: This made me so mad. I mean, seriously, if my 3-attack Leigons can't defeat their spears, why can their 2-attack Archers defeat mine?) (Oh, and BTW, don't include swear words in pictures you want to show here- apparently, the autocensor will block them, even if they are in IMG tags, as I have just found out!)

Caeser now concentrates efforts on recapturing this city.

Speaking of captured cities, Yaroslavl' fell to Egyptian forces in 690.

But now, Caeser's luck was changing. The assualt on Yekaterinburg continued in 700 AD. A Roman Leigon attacked, yet again, a spear in the city. This time, they won, and with mild casulaties. After 50 years of fighting, the city had finally fallen. As there was too little left of it to make it worth keeping, the Roman Leigonaries burned the city to the ground.

Soon after, other Roman Leigons attacked Hispalis. The Russian Archers were simply no match for the Roman Leigons' superior technology. Hispalis was recaptured by Roman forces.

The 2 Russian Galley "fleets" that had transported the Russian Archers were now fleeing, trying to escape to Moscow. A Roman Galley fleet met them in battle. They almost succeeded in destroying one of them, but could not finish the job and were sunk.

The Galleys proceeded to head towards Moscow. They would never get there.

But, before that, in January of 720, Roman scientists finished their discovery of a new field of science called "Engineering".

They could now build better artillery units, called "Trebuchets", could plant forests in certain areas, and could build bridges. Roman workers proceeded to build bridges at places were roads crossed rivers. Scientists accompanied them. As the bridges on the Tiber river were being built, they noticed just how different the desert near the river was from the desert farther away. So different, that they have now come to recognize it as an entirely new terrain- flood plains. Probably, this was why Rome had managed to grow so big, so fast. Caeser was quick to want to trade this knowledge and asked what his friends in other nations would offer. Only two were worth taking, a trade with the Byzantines for two other technologies, of the Republican government and the idea of Monotheism, plus some gold, and a trade with America for an alliance vs. Russia, plus some gold.

Now, back to the war. Soon after this trade, Roman galleys attacked the fleeing Russian ones. They sunk the fleet that was at full strentgth, leaving only the remnants of the other one to fight. It was sunk in 730 AD.

Soon after, St. Petersburg fell to Egyptian forces, leaving only the Russian capital, Moscow, to conquer. Late in 740 AD, Egyptian War chariots attacked. The battle was witnessed by Roman Galleys. Before the battle, the galleys noticed it was elite. It must have been through battles in the war in the past- meaning that Claudius was right about his guess. Egypt was in a golden age. Of course, The Battle of Moscow ended in a victory for Egypt, but that was only one spearmen unit. At least one more remained to defend Moscow.

However, with 3 countries attacking it at once, and only one city left...

Russia's days are numbered.

(Again, No end turn screenie)

Last edited:
*anxiously waiting*
I think Egypt threatened Russia to try and get their free tech, but the Russians refused and Egypt then declared war.

I doubt it, seeing as Russia was still half-way through the ancient age when war was declared. :lol: More likely, Egypt saw a weak target and declared war, and hey, I needed some way for Egypt to have an excuse for the declaration.

This makes me want to watch out for Carthage, the strongest (known) civ in the game. They are also the largest, although being trapped on an island didn't suit well for their tech situation. The current technological advance rankings:

1. Tie: Me, Byzantines, and America
4. Tie: Egypt and the Inca
6. Carthage
7. Russia

Okay, I don't have the time to make another big screenie, so I'll here's 2 small ones:

Here's the theater of the Mediterranean War:

Here's The Roman Empire:

EDIT: And in answer to CivRulesAll, as soon as I get around to playing it. Hopefully, sometime later today, likely, seeing as a field trip and a computer glitch have combined to leave me with no homework this weekend. :D

Last edited:
What was the story (link)?

And, Ch. 10's playing is done, so you will have Ch. 10 in the next post.
Or at least, part of it, as I might get "distracted" (*cough* Watch TV later *Cough*) :mischief:

Chapter 10: Rome's Golden Age

Caeser thought that the War Chariots would attack Moscow, but they declined the oppurtunity and retreated. Meanwhile, 7 Egyptian Sword units appeared from the South, and an American spear unit came out of a boat, as did an Egyptian Sword, from a different boat.

In 760, it looked like this:

Caeser expected attacks, but the wounded Egyptian Swordsmen retreated, and the American spearmen just destroyed the road. Egypt Sent the 7-unt swordsmen stack around the American spearmen, and sent in a 6-unit swordsmen stack in the south. 2 More Egyptian swordsmen units appeared out of a boat. There were now a total of 16 Egyptian swordsmen units within the borders of Russia, 2 in attacking position.

And attack they did. In 770, the two Egyptian swordsmen units capable of attacking attacked, and defeated two Russian spear garrisons in Moscow. The 7-sword stack went to their position, the American spearmen moved out of the way of Egyptian forces, so the 6-sword stack could move north into their position. The wounded Egyptian swordsmen continued retreating, and they were now covered by 2 swordsmen units and a spearmen unit. 18 total swords were now in Russian territory, 3 wounded, 7 non-wounded ready to attack. It was likely that Moscow would fall within the next 10 years.

In 780, the alliance between Egypt and Rome agaist Russia ran out. But it would have done so anyway, as shortly after, Moscow fell to the Egyptian swordsmen. Catherine was in the process of escaping the city by boat, but the harbor was blockaded by Roman Galleys. She was killed by an unknown person's arrow. The war is now over, and Russia is now gone.

----------------------------------------------------------
Okay, remember what I said about being distracted? Rest to come later.
--
Later is now.
----------------------------------------------------------

With the war of the Mediterannean over, news has died down somewhat. But some things still interested Caeser. For example, He had earlier sent settlers to build a city on the ruins of Yekaterinburg, but Lincoln got there first, building St. Louis. So, they settled in a somewhat-cramped jungle location in 800. They called it Byzantium due to the odd movements of Byzantine Horsemen in the area. Plus, they had a city called "Caeserea" so why not?

Caeser was glad to have another thriving city in the Roman golden age.

More news that interested Caeser was the news of other people building Sun Tzu's Art of War. The Inca started it in 800, and Egypt started it in 830. He ordered investigations of the cities they were being built in, Ica:

And Thebes:

Caeser was very glad at this. Not only was Cumae still the fastest, but, as evidenced by the production in Thebes having dropped back to normal, Egypt was no longer in a golden age, whilst the Roman Golden Age was still in full bloom.

Technologies interested Caeser, too. In 840, the Byzantines and Americans had both learned the secret of Theology. Caeser was interested in this, but had nothing to trade for it.

But soon he did. In 870, Roman Scientists told Caeser that they had invented something called the Longbow.

Meanwhile, Leonardo Da Vinci, the mastermind behind the discovery of Currency, had been doing secret things for a long time in his workshop in Veii. In 880, he finally told about these discoveries that would help make cheaper military upgrades. Caeser has recognized this by pronouncing his workshop as a wonder of the world. (If you can't tell from this, what I did was use Leonardo Da Vinci, my long-unused SGL, to rush Leo's Workshop in Veii)

The people celebrated by building some tall, decorative columns at Caeser's Palace (I think it was around this time, but I forgot to take note of it- again :wallbash:)

Unfortunately, these events were the last of the Roman Golden Age. The prosperity of it quickly died down and ended.

Caeser made a trade soon after it ended- a trade with the Americans, Invention for Theology:

He had small hopes of not completely ending the Age's prosperity, but it was vain. Only one golden age can happen, and when it ends, it ends.

Last edited:
What was the story (link)?

And, Ch. 10's playing is done, so you will have Ch. 10 in the next post.
Or at least, part of it, as I might get "distracted" (*cough* Watch TV later *Cough*) :mischief:

I don't remember exactly which one it is, I read it a long time ago. :(

AARGH. A number of events conspired yesterday to give me no time to play the story. :mad:

Okay, this update is relatively short due to my lack of playing time. Hopefully, I will only have to do this infrequently.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 11: The already-won race to Sun Tzu

With the end of the golden age, there was little more that was eventful in the Roman Empire. Caeser was mainly focused one thing: Being the first to complete Sun Tzu's Art of War. It would be finished in Cumae in 150 years.

So, it came to Caeser's interest when he learned in 920 that Carthage was also working on it in their capital city. In the bizzare chance that they might have a chance at getting it, he investigated the city. He had nothing else to do, anyway. Of course, it had no chance, but still, it was mild news.

So he just sat back and waited for it to finish in Cumae. Little else interested him, except for the shape of his empire. For example, he had no luxuries, but the Byzantines had extra sources of Ivory. He came to Theodora asking if they would sell him some. "Okay, how much will you pay?" she answered, and after much haggling, Caeser and Theodora agreed on this:

Now, with something to help keep his people happy, Caeser just sat back and waited for the damn book to be written. Finally, in 1030, The art of War was finished:

It circulated throughout the empire, and soon, every major city had it for sale in their libraries, or just random places if they lacked libraries. The sales of the book went straight to funding the maintainence costs, but there was only enough to fund the barracks in every city. But, that was something- a free 12 barracks.

Last edited:
Sorry for lack of updating- it was a combination of procrastination ( :mischief: ) and lack of time. So, Chapter 12 in next post (not this one, because I don't want 2 update posts in a row).

Last edited:
Chapter 12: The need for Ivory

Caeser was bored. There was little to do anymore, little news regarding any concern with the empire. He hoped to change that soon.

But, little was still some. In 1040, Roman scientists had another technology. It was a code of honor called Chivalry, for the newly-created type of medieval soldiers, Called Knights, to make sure they were honorable men, although there was no evidence it actually did that- it just gave them stronger armor and weapons, and more respect.

But, it is Caeser's philosophy that better soldiers are always a good thing, so he would take better soldiers as a good deal for the tech.

And then, boredom. Little happened besides building new things and the news that America had gotten educated. But his people appeared to appriecate the buildings he was building for them, and so, in 1120, they planted some bushes in his Palace garden.

Or maybe the Ivory imports were making them happy. If that be the case, they would become unhappy when the Ivory deal with the Byzantines ran out in 1180. Caeser quickly renewed it- for a hefty price- to make sure they were happy.

He hated this dependence on luxuries, and wanted to get his own, by conquest. However, there weren't that many luxuries in the known world- Just the Ivory in the Byzantine Empire and the many luxuries in Carthage. He couldn't invade either one- right now, at least. But then he noticed the Inca city of Vitcos, which had a sole source of Ivory to the Northwest of the city. He could attack the Inca and grab that city and its ivory, and maybe some more Inca cities while he's at it. He would send diplomats to investigate Vitcos as soon as he had enough money.

But before that happened, In 1200, Roman Scientists returned with another discovery, that they had invented a Printing Press with movable type, to send messages by paper and write books very quickly.

There were many advatages of this, the chief one being that nations that didn't directly know each other could now communciate through messages made by Roman Printing Presses. So, Caeser took advantage of this and sold communications of everyone he knew to everyone else, and even threw in a tech deal with America.

He now had more than enough money to investigate Vitcos, and this was what the Roman diplomats reported:

All that was in the city was a few spearmen, plus some settlers and galleys- Something Roman troops could easily handle. The plan was drawn up- Vitcos would soon be Roman. Caeser also planned to control Vilcabamba, Andahuaylas, and Ica, 3 Inca cities that were cut off from the Inca by the Byzantines, as they would make nice cities. Plus, without a Harbor in Vitcos, the Ivory will have to go through the Byzantine Empire and America to reach Rome, but capturing these cities will create another route which only has to go through the Byzantine Empire.

Last edited:
Chapter 13: The road to somewhere

There was one small flaw in Caeser's planning: It did not appear that there was yet a road from Neapolis, the army's gathering point, to Vitcos that did not go through Inca territory. He would have to build some roads in his own territory, and some in American, and possibly also Byzantine, territory as well. But, first things first, he would build the ones in his own territory. As soon as he had some workers free to do so.

In the meantime, Caeser kept close watches on the news. Little happened until, in 1240, this came up:

This wonder would call for Crusaders from Egypt's citizens, increasing the strength of their military by quite a bit.

In 1260, the roads in Roman territory were finished, so Caeser got a Right-of-Passage with America to continue building roads in America.

As it turned out, some of the work was already done, but Caeser's workers would have to build a road North through American territory, past Atlanta.

Caeser wondered about the road situation in Byzantine territory, so, in 1290, he got a Right of Passage with them and sent a Knight to explore the Byzantine road network.

The Roman people seemed to be happy about Ivory and the thriving Roman culture in 1295, so they built a second floor on Caeser's Palace.

And speaking of Ivory, in 1300, the Neapolis-Vitcos road was finally completed.

For safe measure, Caeser investigated Vitcos again, to see if there was anything more defending it. Survey says, no.

Now the preperations were almost complete. Caeser's troops were almost ready to attack Vitcos, as well as the area known as "West Incaland", the area that held Vilcabamba, Andahuaylas, and Ica.

Blood will soon be shed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom