The terrain-unwise Romans

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I took so long, it was thanks to a multiple-event conspiracy.

Chapter 22: The war slowly ends

After a point, the war started ending, slowly. In 1650, America and Carthage signed peace.

It then kicked up a little with China bringing the Mayans back into the war to fight Carthage:

And then just the war in general. Carthaginian Cavalry and Knights appeared near Viroconium. American Cavalry won a battle against Byzantine muskets in Heraclea. Thus, when Caeser got a chance to attack Heraclea again, he ordered no attacks, as to not risk losing the city to America. Caeser wanted the city to be Roman, not American.

Unfortunately, he also forgot about the Carthaginian troops on Sicily. Fortunately, when they charged in 1655, the musketmen in Viroconium forced the Cavalry to retreat and killed all the knights.

Meanwhile, in the Byzantine empire, American troops did not attack Heraclea. Instead, they headed farther north to attack- and capture- Varna. Farther north, Huamanga was captured by Dutch forces.

Cannons bombarded Heraclea again in 1660. Afterwards, Roman Medieval Infantry attacked and defeated musketmen in the city. Cavalry followed, the first charge being defeated but the second succeded in defeating the musketmen garrison, and captured Heraclea.

Down in Sicily, Caeser forgot about the heavily injured Carthaginian Cavalry, and they started moving. They didn't actually do anything, though.

Back in the Byzantine empire, Tiwaknaku was captured by the Dutch. Only one ex-Inca city- Ollantaytambo- remains in Byzantine hands.

Meanwhile, Adam Smith had been busy doing something in Veii. He created a Trading Company which would eliminate the costs of trading-related infrastructure. The Roman treasury's income has been greatly boosted.

The Dutch, meanwhile, finished work on a University in Amsterdam:

The Carthaginian Cavalry in Sicily were now defeated by Roman Cavalry.

Then, much news in the Byzantine Empire. First, Syracuse was built on the ruins of Chalcedon.

Then, with regards to bad news, the resistance in Heraclea succeded, and the city was returned to the Byzantines. Spearmen have risen to the city's defense...

...But these spearmen were no match for the 1670 Cavalry charge, which destroyed Heraclea.

Meanwhile, Russadir was once again recaptured by Carthage.
5 years later, another Carthaginan city fell to Egypt- Sulcis, on the Northern coast.

Soon after, another Peace treaty was signed, between the Byzantines and China:

Okay, I have to eat dinner now. Actually, since I have exactly 15 screenies left, I'll just make the 2nd part after dinner.

Last edited:
Sorry for delay, events outside of my control... again...

And I still can't post part deux, as I don't have enough time before I have to leave for school.

Finally, I can post this!

Then, in 1680, after Caeser renewed his Right of Passage with America...

The Byzantines continued "suing for peace" and got peace with the Dutch and Americans.

In news of battles in the war, Sulcis was recaptured by Carthage and Eridu, Babylon, was destroyed. The razer is unknown.

Speaking of Carthage, In 1685, Cavalry have landed on the shores outside Carthago Novo. They plan to be major annoyances to the Carthaginains.

Before they got a chance to attack Carthago Novo, Carthaginian forces counterattacked. Carthaginian Cavalry defeated 1 of the Roman Cavalry units, and Frigates sunk one of the galleon fleets that had brung the Cavalry to the island.

And then, alas, more peace. Babylon and China. Egypt and the Byzantines.

The first has no real impact on the Roman Empire, but the second does. Thanks to this treaty, Rome is now the only one fighting the Byzantines.

Back on Carthage, the 3 remaining Cavalry units now attacked Carthago Novo. The first defeated one Numidian Garrison, the second lost, and the third won. Carthago Novo, or "New Carthage" in the Carthaginian Language, was now a Roman city.

Speaking of Roman cities, Caeseraugusta was founded soon after on Heraclea's ruins:

Farther to the North, Roman troops were at the gates of Constantinople. After Medieval Infantry defeated Byzantine Longbowmen outside the city, the cannons fired...
...and had very little success. Caeser waits for more success to attack.

Carthage counterattacked now. At Carthago Novo, their Cavalry were defeated (barely) by Roman Cavalry...
...But earlier, they had managed to get more Cavalry on Sicily, and they defeated the musketmen in Viroconium, and captured the city.

Another peace treaty was soon after signed, between Egypt and Babylon.

In 1695, a Saltpeter-for-luxuries deal ran out with the Dutch, and they now had Saltpeter elsewhere. Caeser needed those luxuries to prevent the massive riots now occuring all over the Roman Empire, so...

[NOTE FROM THE FUTURE: I have no idea what this was, honestly. I made some kind of deal for more luxuries, and the picture was originally called "lux deals" so I assume it was more than one deal, but I don't know exactly what luxuries I traded for, or who I got them from. Later on I have Wines, Incense, Silks, and Dyes in my city screen despite not having any of those in my territory- the Dyes I got from a later deal so I didn't get them here but I must have gotten Wines, Incense, and Silks here. The Silks I probably got from China since there's a later point where I say I'm renewing a Silks deal with them, and the Incense I probably got from Babylon, since I lose the Incense around the same time Babylon loses all their Incense sources when the Dutch capture Akkad. No idea about the Wines, though]

Soon after, Roman Cavalry defeated the pitiful defense put up by Carthaginian Cavalry and recaptured Viroconium.

Unfortunately, it came with a price. There were no longer suffiecent troops to hold Carthago Novo, so the Roman troops fled the city. To keep Carthage from recapturing it, they burned it to the ground on their way out.

At Constantinople, no more luck was had with the cannons, and a Byzantine Longbowmen counter-attack took out the Medieval Infantry.

With other regards to war, Ellipi, Babylon, was captured by Dutch forces, and Egypt and Carthage signed peace.

And, Caeser felt like peace himself. He gained nothing more from fighting these wars, and cannons had revealed the huge amount of musketmen (at least 5 garrisons) defending Constantinople. So, after sending his Cavalry to kill the Longbowmen that had killed the Infantry, plus more to the north of Constantinople, he contacted the Byzantines and Carthage and asked for Peace. They both paid him hansomely.

[NOTE FROM THE FUTURE: No, sadly, I don't know what exactly the Carthaginians gave me, but it must have been a decent amount of cash]

You can hardly call World War I a World War anymore. In fact, its remaining fighters have been split into two wars:

The War of the South Atlantic Ocean:
China and Maya vs. Carthage

The Betrayer's War:
Holland and America vs. Babylon

No one else still fights the war.

But Caeser can tell something is about to happen.

Last edited:
hey do you have sn00pys modpack???if you do, are you just using ordinary new game function?

1. No
2. What?

if you only save it to your scenarios folder, it will only appear there. but if you save the terrain folder to overwrite your existing terrain folder, you will get it all the time

How much damage was done to Byzantines? Fighting five enemies at once during anarchy could not have been good for poor Theodora.

She lost about half of her empire to Me, America, and the Dutch. Before the war, she had 19 cities, and she gained 2 more (Vitcos and Huamanga) from me on the first 2 turns of the war. Then, she lost 10 cities and she now has 11.

News: It is 1745, and Hammurabi has just commited suicide by allying with Carthage against the Maya. He is already down to 5 cities thanks to the Dutch, and he has just declared war on his next-door neighbor.

OTOH, this might be good for me. I might get Nationalism out of this. Currently, every AI has it, and Babylon is the only AI without Steam. I may have two ways of getting it:

1. The Ailing Civ Strategy.
2. I could sign an alliance with them against America as soon as my RoP Runs out. :mischief:

Well, I chose the second option and signed an alliance with Babylon against America. They still overpriced Nationalism. I also found out via MapStat that China has Fascism. It's likely that all the AI are researching Communism or Fascism right now, 1762.

Chapter 23: Babylon's Wars

Even with WWI over, wars continued. China sent forces to Carthage. In 1705, They destroyed Sulcis. Sabratha, just inland of Sulcis, was captured 5 years later. The Dutch captured Zariqum, a Babylonian city just to the North of Babylon, the same year.

1715 came and Roman Scientists developed a Steam Engine that could possibly power things. In any case, Rome was now to be criss-crossed with railroads using "trains" that would be powered by Steam.

Caeser then proceeded to sell the knowledge Steam Power to some of the nations who hadn't gotten it 5 years earlier (grr. Since when does the AI research STEAM POWER before Communism and Fascism?), and getting Industrial-Age Medicine in the process.

Also, there was some empty space in between the ex-Byzantine cities in the North, Palmyra was built there.

Back to war news, Carthage recatpured Sabratha soon after.
And then there was a period of quiet before Akkad, to the East of Babylon, was captured by Dutch forces in 1730.

Then followed Carthage's slow withdrawal from war. In 1735, They signed peace with China.

5 years later came bad news. Carthage deceived Babylon into declaring war on the Maya. Babylon had just nailed their own casket.

Back on the home continent, railroading was going well. However, there was still some empty space in the north, so Jerusalem was built to the South of Palmyra to fill the rest of it up.

Not long after, Samara, an isolated Babylonian city surrounded by Mayan borders, was captured by Holland. Strange, Caeser had expected the Maya to get there first.

And then, in 1750, Carthage's deception became clear. They signed Peace with the Maya, thus trapping Babylon in a war with them until Smoke-Jaguar listens to Babylon's envoys instead of sacrificing them.

Speaking of Carthage, they also built Calanis on the rubble that was once Sulcis.
2 years later, they also built Tingis on Carthago Novo's ruins.

Also in 1752, Cleopatra contacted Caeser requsting something called a "Mutual Protection Pact" and a Right-of-Passage.

"Interesting. Explain to me, exactly, how does this Mutual Protection Pact work?" asked Caeser.
"Like this," said Cleo, "If one of us is attacked, the other comes to their aid by declaring war on the attacker."
"So, let me get this straight. If one of the other nations declares war on one of us, the other declares war on said nation?" asked Caeser.
"No, no. If we get involved in a war, no matter who declared war, one of us, or the other nation, and the other nation launches an attack against one of us, the other declares war." said Cleo.
"Oh, I see. What qualifies as 'an attack'?" asked Caeser.
"Anything. Their army or navy attacking ours qualifies. A Bombardment qualifies. Capturing Workers or Settlers qualifies. But, only if it's in our or neutral territory. If they do one of those things in their territory, it doesn't count," said Cleo.
"I see," said Caeser, "Well, I'll think about it."
Caeser thought for a while. Cleo even said that she would pay in gold to convince him. Caeser thought it would be useful for wars he was likely to fight, but he also thought that Cleo might get him into a war that he didn't want to be in. In any case, he probably needed more military before he could agree. So he replied to Cleo, "Sorry, but I don't think I can agree at the moment."

In 1754, Babylon, desperate to get some of the war off their backs, signed peace with their arch-nemesis the Dutch.

Privateers appeared to the west of the Roman Empire in 1756 that appeared to be going somewhere. Judginf from their speed, Caeser knew that they had to be in the employment of either Holland or Carthage. Carthage was more likely due to location, so Caeser sent Frigates after them, to see if they could find out where the pirates were going and sink them. It would be in revenge, as Carthaginian Frigates had just sunk Roman Privateers. Unfortunately, nothing ever happened in that field.

1759 (the 1758 IBT- I have decided to steal... er... "borrow" Quintillus' IBT technique.) came and trade requests came to Rome. Mao asked for a trade of Territory Maps. Wanting to be friendly, Caeser accepted his offer.

Then Lincoln asked for a Trade Embargo against Babylon.

"Not gonna happen," said Caeser, "I'm trading with them."
"No you're not," said Lincoln.
"Not right now, but I will. Oh, I will," said Caeser, who murmured under his breath, Just you wait, Lincoln.

Before Caeser's "Mwaha evil plan" came into action, however, Carthage declared war on Holland in 1761.

Then, in 1762, Caeser's "Mwaha evil plan" was executed. First, he canceled his expired Right of Passage with America.

Then, he signed a Military alliance with Babylon against America. "Mwaha evil plan" was now in action, although he thought that Babylon had seriously overpriced Nationalism.

He then prepared for Lincoln's attack by implementing the new technology of Rifles for his defensive soldiers...

And now, the war would begin.

Last edited:
Indeed. And I have a multitude of Cavalry in striking distance of Vitcos, Sardica, Varna, and Adrianople... :mischief:

Although, seeing as America's military strength Currently exceeds mine, I think I'll see if I can bribe the Byzantines into attacking them.

dont the byzantines hate you?
america gets a taste of its ow medicine!!!! after all, come on. look at all these american wars.
civil war
revolutionary war
world war 1
cold war
world war 2
vietnam

dont the byzantines hate you?
america gets a taste of its ow medicine!!!! after all, come on. look at all these american wars.
civil war
revolutionary war
world war 1
cold war
world war 2
vietnam

If you were doing that in order, the cold war against the USSR came AFTER WWII. The Cold war was not a physical war, but an economical war. It was also a big race.
Most nuclear weapons
Strongest nuclear weapons
First in space
Etc etc etc

Edit: I think I got a leeetle bit carried away.

Also, the Revolutionary War was before the Civil War.
And you forgot the War of 1812, the Mexican War, and the Spanish War.

And yes, it is true. Th Byzantines hate me. But I'm still going to need an ally...
Perhaps I should have agreed to Egypt's proposal when I had the chance, but I didn't want them getting me into any stinking wars.

same thing. it was a nuclear arms race!!! and those nuclear weapons were to be used in wars right???

But that logic it was not so much a war in the classic sense as a mutual threat of a devastating war.

Yeah. Pretty much, it was just a race between America and Russia to see who could build the most nuclear weapons and the best spaceships.

Basically just trying to outarrogate each other.

Top Bottom