G-Minor 22

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Due to both G-minor 21 and G-Major 13 being Warlords only gauntlets, we have decided to add a third gauntlet this update, to include our Vanilla only players. We give you G-Minor 22...

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+2](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Continents
  • Speed: Epic
  • Civ: Qin Shi Huang (China)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.61.011
  • Date: June 27th to July 9th
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Note: This is a Vanilla only gauntlet. Warlords players are welcome to check out G-minor 21 which is played as Korea. Good luck!

Aaargh. Now I have to do GMinor 22, GMajor 13, GMinor 21, and GOTM20, plus upcoming SGOTM5. Maybe I could just forget about sleeping.

Aaargh. Now I have to do GMinor 22, GMajor 13, GMinor 21, and GOTM20, plus upcoming SGOTM5. Maybe I could just forget about sleeping.

Well atleast the BTS release is almost a month away or you'd really be doomed to sleepless nights.:lol:

looks like we might be recruiting players for our team though...Jenarie has no vanilla disc and Mark may not play

edit: I'm farther behind than you...I've got G-Minors 21 and 22, G-Major 13, GOTM20, WOTM10, SGOTM5, and I've still got to finish the SGOTM4 spoiler post!

We are financial, we aren't Philo, it is obvious that we should use 3 cottaged cities. But I wanted to try something new, being Prince, so I used a cottage city, a wonders city and a GPfarm as legendary cities.

1670AD victory. Joined 1+0+7 GPs. 1sci Acad, 1 sci for Educ, 2 useless GP. 4 founded religions plus 1 spread. 15 cathedrals.

I expanded too slowly, having too many objectives half-heartledly followed: Tried to kill 1 AI (failed), Oracle+Part+Pyram, fast tech pace. Alpha in 2080BC, Liber in 500AD, 100&#37; culture in 1300AD.

Next game I'll get 3 cottage cities, with lots of hammers. I'll get an early religion, so that I don't have to research DivRi. I'll go REX initially. I will use Org Reli the whole game.

EDIT: it was a corn+2gold start. It took me only 10 hours, my personal record!

Seems like Pacifism is even more important when you're not Philo. Pacifism is only +50&#37; rate for a Philo leader. It's a full +100% for Qin.

I won't be competing as I have retired from Civ IV. Probably be back around October with BTS.

You do know it comes out in 3 weeks. don't you? Or are you factoring in how long you think it will take us to get a HOF Mod for it? :mischief:

:lol: I have a few vacations coming and I usually like to wait for at least 1 patch to a new game. This isn't quite a new game though. In general I'm looking for any reason to take a break from the game. But, you're right. By the time I come back, hopefully there's a new HoF for BTS and a new QM. I'll still be lurking.

Seems like Pacifism is even more important when you're not Philo. Pacifism is only +50% rate for a Philo leader. It's a full +100% for Qin.

Hmmm, that's true. But only if you think of it in terms of efficiency. As you know 100% of 0 is 0. Let me explain:

Cottages are better than artist in the big-three this game. With Globe I can run 5 artist in my GPfarm; it seems enough for a non Philo leader. So I don't run CS but slavery. If I am running so few artists Pacifism is not so attractive (in absolute terms). So I run OR all game long.

In summary: I am emphasizing hammers, instead of food or GPPoints. My goal is not to have a lot of commerce nor a lot of GA, but early cathedrals. If this strategy works, I will try another assault to current Deity-Culture HOF records ;) .

What do you think of this strat?

Cottages are better than artist in the big-three this game. With Globe I can run 5 artist in my GPfarm; it seems enough for a non Philo leader. So I don't run CS but slavery. If I am running so few artists Pacifism is not so attractive (in absolute terms). So I run OR all game long.

So your globe+national epic goes for non three or is that exception to cottagerule? At least sounds like globe+national would give nice culture as they are not too expensive. And if it is you try to cottagespam floodplainy and or foody area so that rest can cottage?

-Dracandross

So your globe+national epic goes for non three or is that exception to cottagerule? At least sounds like globe+national would give nice culture as they are not too expensive. And if it is you try to cottagespam floodplainy and or foody area so that rest can cottage?

-Dracandross

Yes, my GPfarm won't be one of the three in this gauntlet.
It was in my first try, but I won't do it again as long as I have cottageable land available for 3 cities.

In summary: I am emphasizing hammers, instead of food or GPPoints.

What do you think of this strat?

I learned that this strat can be very powerful. I used it on the Duel size HoF culture game cus it's easy to get a lot of wonders. However, you don't need wonders. I believe the secret is to NOT build cathedrals until ~300 AD. You do need early religions though so you have something to build (temples, monasteries, lib, theatre, etc.)

Some questions for Jesusin, or anyone else who cares to comment:

How many religions are optimal? In my current game I have three: I founded Confucianism and Taoism, while Buddhism spread from a neighbor. Jesusin says he had five religions in his first attempt. How the heck do you do that? Is it really worth the time to research monotheism, theology, or divine right in order to found those religions?

Do you build essentially all the wonders you can? A related question: for a fast finish, do you find it necessary to have access to both marble and stone?

I've been shutting down research after Liberalism. Aside from things like Music, Drama and Literature, I basically research nothing that isn't on the path to Liberalism. Is this best?

Getting five religions is possible if you have enough commerce in your starting position and you pop one or two of them with great people / Oracle / Liberalism. The real question is whether that is too costly in terms of what you are missing out on while chasing the religions. I would have thought three would have been OK as some of the others will probably spread to you anyway. in GMinor 21 I am easily founding 5 religions but not doing very well, so founding religions is certainly no guarantee of success.

I would not have thought that Stone was essential in this game but Marble certainly seems to help. Unless you are going for Pyramids to get Universal Suffrage. But then Jesusin says you don't need either of these things if you follow his hammertime strategy.

Overall though, it seems that for a fast finish you need as many great artists as you can, so it can be a hindrance to have any of the non GA wonders.

The formula for quick finish seems to be:
- all GPs are Artists
- get cathedrals
- cottage the crap out of everything

Some questions for Jesusin, or anyone else who cares to comment:

Don't ask me! Seize your chance and ask WastinTime while he is around!

How many religions are optimal? In my current game I have three: I founded Confucianism and Taoism, while Buddhism spread from a neighbor. Jesusin says he had five religions in his first attempt. How the heck do you do that? Is it really worth the time to research monotheism, theology, or divine right in order to found those religions?

3 is the minimum for a very good game. More than 5 is not cost-effective, since missionaries fail so often. 4 seems to be the perfect point, maybe five.
I researched DivRi in my posted game, I am not sure it was worth it, shortly after that a new religion spread. If we started with Myst, like Minor21, I would sacrifice some growth going for hindu, then confu+tao would be founded naturally, and I would hope for a fourth to spread.

Do you build essentially all the wonders you can? A related question: for a fast finish, do you find it necessary to have access to both marble and stone?

No! I am the one who says you should never build any WW in culture-Deity! Maybe Parthenon is worth it. This being Prince, I recommend building Parthenon and maybe Oracle if you know how to not pop a GP. Then, if you have lots of hammers and you can't build temples/cathedrals (meaning that it is a bad game?) you could build TajMaj or Sistine or other GA-WW, mostly for their direct culture.

I've been shutting down research after Liberalism. Aside from things like Music, Drama and Literature, I basically research nothing that isn't on the path to Liberalism. Is this best?

Yes, I firmly believe so.

Concerning religions, I founded six in my first game for the gauntlet. It wasn't such a great game, as my goals were too diverted. But it really isn't that hard to found so many religions (research polytheism, beeline monotheism, oracle col, prophet theology and the last two are from your tech lead).

I think 3 or 4 religions may be sufficient, yet I don't know exactly.

Top Bottom